[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Thoughts on Trier
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/7/2018  8:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I'm definitely okay with him being on the court at the end of a game

Im not ok with him running the point yet

uh okay?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/7/2018  10:28 PM
What impresses me about Trier and his ISO ability, is how he has the balance to square himself up for a good look at the rim, even when he's in the air, and off balance. These arent circus shot heaves, you can tell that this is from practice.
FrenchFreak
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7568

11/8/2018  9:04 AM
what sort of contract will he get when they convert him from his current 2-way deal? Any chance they can lock him up on a cheap long term deal like Mitch?
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/8/2018  10:44 AM
FrenchFreak wrote:what sort of contract will he get when they convert him from his current 2-way deal? Any chance they can lock him up on a cheap long term deal like Mitch?

Something along the lines of what BURKE got last season

ES
NBK
Member: #8667

11/8/2018  12:00 PM
Knixkik wrote:He's shooting lights out (not sustainable) and he gets to the line at will, and makes his free throws. He looks like a complete scorer. Made adjustments last night after a bad first half and hit a ton of big shots. How much of this is sustainable? What's his ceiling? Starting SG in the future?

Not to mention, he is a decent defender. I really like Trier and think he could one day be a starter for the Knicks.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/8/2018  12:20 PM
NBK wrote:
Knixkik wrote:He's shooting lights out (not sustainable) and he gets to the line at will, and makes his free throws. He looks like a complete scorer. Made adjustments last night after a bad first half and hit a ton of big shots. How much of this is sustainable? What's his ceiling? Starting SG in the future?

Not to mention, he is a decent defender. I really like Trier and think he could one day be a starter for the Knicks.

If he can level up his passing and floor vision...He can be a absolute starter for sure

ES
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/8/2018  12:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2018  12:22 PM
FrenchFreak wrote:what sort of contract will he get when they convert him from his current 2-way deal? Any chance they can lock him up on a cheap long term deal like Mitch?

Knicks have a little negotiating leverage because they don't have to rip up the two-way deal. They CAN send him to the G-League when the 45 days are up and either way, at worst (even if they rip up the 2 way and he only takes a one year NBA deal) he'll be a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Obviously threatening to send him to the G league given his current role might be difficult to pull off.

Knicks don't have a lot of options for a multi-year deal, however. They used most of the MLE already. If they sign him it would have to be at the rookie minimum.

Problem is if he only signs a one year deal and becomes an RFA, Knicks would effectively have NO way to retain both Vonleh and Trier without cutting into free cap room (assuming they land a big fish). Even if Trier is a RFA, and subject to the Arenas provision of the CBA, whether he signed an offer sheet or the Knicks signed him outright, unless it's for the minimum it would have to come out of the MLE (would Vonleh and Trier each take $4m?)

The best (although somewhat unlikely) scenario given Trier clearly wanted to be in NY is for him to sign a 3-year deal (with the 3rd being a player option, injury insurance) at the minimum. That way the Knicks can do their free agent cap business (and potentially keep Vonleh with the MLR) and get Trier's early bird rights in 2020.

Will Trier play ball and take less in 2019 than he can probably get otherwise?

If he really breaks out the Knicks will keep him one way or another. The question is will they have to use most if not all of the 2019 MLE to do it?

Ira
Member: #91
11/8/2018  12:28 PM
I like the Starks analogy posted above. I think he's better off the dribble than Starks, but Starks was better defensively and from the outside.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/8/2018  1:12 PM
Starks comparisons are pretty good. Both are bone head emotional players. Not sure Triers legacy as Starks introduced Crack cocaine to Tusla.

Starks have fouled a three pointer shooter like Trier did last nite.
Im suspect of his IQ. Starks was not the sharpest crayon in the box. But he was fun!!!

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/8/2018  1:16 PM
Nalod wrote:Starks comparisons are pretty good. Both are bone head emotional players. Not sure Triers legacy as Starks introduced Crack cocaine to Tusla.

Im suspect of his IQ. Starks was not the sharpest crayon in the box. But he was fun!!!

you don't need a sharp crayon to color

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/8/2018  4:13 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Nalod wrote:Starks comparisons are pretty good. Both are bone head emotional players. Not sure Triers legacy as Starks introduced Crack cocaine to Tusla.

No you don't.
Im enjoying the "Gift" that he is. I just looked up and he actually is from Tulsa. Whoa.
Please don't think Im hating on him. I just understand there is a reason sometimes why guys go undrafted and Im not fully sold on him.
Funny, his penetration moves are similar to Earl Monroe in how he can bounce off players in the lane and pull up for a mid range shot. Being tested twice for PED's is very weird. Either the kid was set up or he is incredibly stupid.
He'll be 23 in January and have to feel for the kid who at age 13 was so highly touted.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/8/2018  5:41 PM
Ira wrote:I like the Starks analogy posted above. I think he's better off the dribble than Starks, but Starks was better defensively and from the outside.

Trier is shooting like 40% from 3 point line.

Very small sample size but i trust Trier shooting in the clutch more. Starks had a bit of JR SMith in him taking bad shots. Every shot Trier takes I expect to go in

(5)(5)
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/8/2018  6:52 PM
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

No you don't.
Im enjoying the "Gift" that he is. I just looked up and he actually is from Tulsa. Whoa.
Please don't think Im hating on him. I just understand there is a reason sometimes why guys go undrafted and Im not fully sold on him.
Funny, his penetration moves are similar to Earl Monroe in how he can bounce off players in the lane and pull up for a mid range shot. Being tested twice for PED's is very weird. Either the kid was set up or he is incredibly stupid.
He'll be 23 in January and have to feel for the kid who at age 13 was so highly touted.

But other than PEDs what do we know of why he went undrafted? Nothing but conjecture, right? Didn't they accept the second test was still carryover residual effect from the first? Anyone who practices making 400 shots each time, deserves some respect. And he hasn't shown to be low IQ, everyone makes mistakes. I think at some point him and Frank starting together in interchangeable roles will be really fun to watch. I picked them in my initial starting line up on that thread. Two very different styles mixed in at random can be enough to keep defenses guessing.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/8/2018  7:39 PM
Chandler wrote:
Ira wrote:I like the Starks analogy posted above. I think he's better off the dribble than Starks, but Starks was better defensively and from the outside.

Very small sample size but i trust Trier shooting in the clutch more. Starks had a bit of JR SMith in him taking bad shots. Every shot Trier takes I expect to go in

Not sure I would say that about Starks. He was VERY streaky but I don't think he took as many bad shots as JR. He was prone to doing knucklehead things on the court like JR because of his emotions, I see the comparison there.

I understand what you're saying about Trier. He makes a lot of moves other players can't do and I guess it may come across as a bad shot. But I view everything he puts up as makeable for him.

Welpee
Member: #6239

11/8/2018  7:41 PM
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

No you don't.

Linsanity is the only reason I'm holding off on Trier. Lin looked like the second coming for about two weeks and then settled into what he really was (getting exposed by Deron Williams and D Wade).
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/8/2018  9:13 PM
Welpee wrote:
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

No you don't.

Linsanity is the only reason I'm holding off on Trier. Lin looked like the second coming for about two weeks and then settled into what he really was (getting exposed by Deron Williams and D Wade).
Trier was a top rated player at a top 20 school. He is much more of a known commodity then Lin was. He is a scorer but the defense has been better than expected. I think he sticks and if his passing improves he might end up running the point for the Knicks.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/9/2018  2:30 AM
Knickoftime wrote:

Knicks have a little negotiating leverage because they don't have to rip up the two-way deal. They CAN send him to the G-League when the 45 days are up and either way, at worst (even if they rip up the 2 way and he only takes a one year NBA deal) he'll be a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Obviously threatening to send him to the G league given his current role might be difficult to pull off.

Knicks don't have a lot of options for a multi-year deal, however. They used most of the MLE already. If they sign him it would have to be at the rookie minimum.

Problem is if he only signs a one year deal and becomes an RFA, Knicks would effectively have NO way to retain both Vonleh and Trier without cutting into free cap room (assuming they land a big fish). Even if Trier is a RFA, and subject to the Arenas provision of the CBA, whether he signed an offer sheet or the Knicks signed him outright, unless it's for the minimum it would have to come out of the MLE (would Vonleh and Trier each take $4m?)

The best (although somewhat unlikely) scenario given Trier clearly wanted to be in NY is for him to sign a 3-year deal (with the 3rd being a player option, injury insurance) at the minimum. That way the Knicks can do their free agent cap business (and potentially keep Vonleh with the MLR) and get Trier's early bird rights in 2020.

If he really breaks out the Knicks will keep him one way or another. The question is will they have to use most if not all of the 2019 MLE to do it?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
11/9/2018  2:32 AM

I've always been a fan of underdogs.....Starks wasnt a high pick.....And he played with a chip on his shoulder. He hit big shots....He played defense. Slightly undersized 2 guard. Can get to the bucket....and shoot the 3.

You could take that same Starks description and apply it to Trier. Trier is just a new generation type player....with a combination of old school hessi....and harden step backs. Once he puts it all together....Fitz is the perfect coach to try anything. Trier and Timmy could be like those Portland guards.....with 2 long arm rim protectors and Knox.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/9/2018  9:47 AM
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

My understanding (from Coon's FAQ) is that is not an option to the Knicks, because...

BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception.

He can be converted to standard NBA contract, but they ONLY have the minimum to offer.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/9/2018  10:32 AM
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Not sure I would say that about Starks. He was VERY streaky but I don't think he took as many bad shots as JR. He was prone to doing knucklehead things on the court like JR because of his emotions, I see the comparison there.

I understand what you're saying about Trier. He makes a lot of moves other players can't do and I guess it may come across as a bad shot. But I view everything he puts up as makeable for him.

I agree with you. That's why I said Starks had "a bit". I didn't mean to imply criticism of Trier's shot selection. Yes he likes to shoot but most he is very under control, his feet set etc

I wish Mudiay would pay more attention to this. The other day he nailed a couple of threes where he looked poised and let it rip as he caught the ball. He needs to do more of that; and less trying to get highlight reel off balance baloney (he's not good enough for that)

(5)(5)
Thoughts on Trier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy