[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Thoughts on Trier
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/6/2018  9:06 AM
He's shooting lights out (not sustainable) and he gets to the line at will, and makes his free throws. He looks like a complete scorer. Made adjustments last night after a bad first half and hit a ton of big shots. How much of this is sustainable? What's his ceiling? Starting SG in the future?
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/6/2018  9:32 AM
starter of the future.

can you imagine if frank had 25% of that confidence?

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/6/2018  9:57 AM
The lights Frank sees in his rearview mirror is Trier. There is a consistent effort from Trier to take the fight to the other team, that we have yet to see from Frank.

To answer your question, until I saw those nifty passes from Trier last night, I thought 6th man.

Trier made a nice shovel pass last night which showed he can be more than a microwave type player, especially since Trier also plays D.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/6/2018  10:06 AM
Thoughts are more short term for this fan. I like what he is bringing and to me great off the bench microwave role.
That means he can finish the game. He looked great in absence of our three cornerstone players.....KP, KK and for now timmy.
I won't peg his future based on this role on a team whose roster will have big changes going forward.
He can be part of our future.
Thoughts: Not being drafted in second round really helped him. He will be a free agent. Too early to peg his value and who we draft.
FrenchFreak
Member: #7568

11/6/2018  10:27 AM
Any chance we could sign him long term on a Mitchell Robinson type deal?
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/6/2018  10:31 AM
GustavBahler wrote:The lights Frank sees in his rearview mirror is Trier. There is a consistent effort from Trier to take the fight to the other team, that we have yet to see from Frank.

To answer your question, until I saw those nifty passes from Trier last night, I thought 6th man.

Trier made a nice shovel pass last night which showed he can be more than a microwave type player, especially since Trier also plays D.

I like the way you put that. I like Trier and think he has a real future. when was the last time we had a guard double teamed?

I am a bit worried about Frank and Fizz. If the Knicks wanted my opinion, i would suggest that they be very specific with Frank about when to exploit opportunities. You can't just tell him "be more agreesive" Instead it needs to be things like if you're off ball and you get the ball at the elbow you shoot. or if you're point you need to do a PnR with X and do one of these 2 things. He's very deferential by nature, which i prefer from a pg. When people say Mudiay had his best game as a knick and he gets 2 assist in 30 minutes and i can't remember either one, i'm like, Wow

(5)(5)
SkyWalker
Member: #814
11/6/2018  11:34 AM
I definitely love what I see. The best parts that I never expected were defense and hustle. Was he known for that at all in college? I think he realized he needed to bring that defense, hustle and energy to make it in the NBA and have a role with this team. Hopefully he doesn't start getting too comfortable and start to lack that extra hustle. I think teams will start to focus and help a lot off their men to stop him. Will Trier adjust well and set up his teammates? Is he too much of a ball stopper? I think the key is efficiency. If he is efficient then I don't mind him being a little bit of a ball stopper. If he becomes closer to Melo where he stops the ball and only shoots in the low 40% range then I'm not a fan.
Kenny SkyWalker
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/6/2018  12:15 PM
SkyWalker wrote:I definitely love what I see. The best parts that I never expected were defense and hustle. Was he known for that at all in college? I think he realized he needed to bring that defense, hustle and energy to make it in the NBA and have a role with this team. Hopefully he doesn't start getting too comfortable and start to lack that extra hustle. I think teams will start to focus and help a lot off their men to stop him. Will Trier adjust well and set up his teammates? Is he too much of a ball stopper? I think the key is efficiency. If he is efficient then I don't mind him being a little bit of a ball stopper. If he becomes closer to Melo where he stops the ball and only shoots in the low 40% range then I'm not a fan.

He sees guys like Burke and Kanter get benched while guys like Frank, Dotson, Robinson get starts. Fiz preaches defense first and foremost so he know in order to be out in the conversation for PT he needs to bring it defensively. Him looking to create for others though will be the main difference with him being a 6th man microwave and him being a starter and maybe more.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/6/2018  1:09 PM
Chandler wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:The lights Frank sees in his rearview mirror is Trier. There is a consistent effort from Trier to take the fight to the other team, that we have yet to see from Frank.

I like the way you put that. I like Trier and think he has a real future. when was the last time we had a guard double teamed?

I am a bit worried about Frank and Fizz. If the Knicks wanted my opinion, i would suggest that they be very specific with Frank about when to exploit opportunities. You can't just tell him "be more agreesive" Instead it needs to be things like if you're off ball and you get the ball at the elbow you shoot. or if you're point you need to do a PnR with X and do one of these 2 things. He's very deferential by nature, which i prefer from a pg. When people say Mudiay had his best game as a knick and he gets 2 assist in 30 minutes and i can't remember either one, i'm like, Wow

We use generic expressions like "be more aggressive" but Im sure that Fizdale and staff are more specific. Go over game film with Frank. Frank is a smart kid, he knows what's missing from his game, heard him articulate what he needs to do in interviews. Just has to do it.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/6/2018  2:13 PM
Knixkik wrote:He's shooting lights out (not sustainable) and he gets to the line at will, and makes his free throws. He looks like a complete scorer. Made adjustments last night after a bad first half and hit a ton of big shots. How much of this is sustainable? What's his ceiling? Starting SG in the future?

We all have to be excited. His game has is more solidified than many of us expected. Have to wait until half a season to see how teams adjust, but he's deceptively athletic and reads the floor like a vet. I still wish he'd pass more, but it's still early. That's the difference between him being a legit starter or more of a Lou Williams, Swaggy P type.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler

11/6/2018  2:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Chandler wrote:

We use generic expressions like "be more aggressive" but Im sure that Fizdale and staff are more specific. Go over game film with Frank. Frank is a smart kid, he knows what's missing from his game, heard him articulate what he needs to do in interviews. Just has to do it.

I'm hoping this is the case but mindful of the fact that in Miami the offense was essentially give the ball to LBJ and/or Wade and they'll figure out what to do. It was not pg-reliant on offense. Memphis was PnR with Gasol

We have two pgs who do not do a great job at assists. One shoots out of control 75% of the time; the other I'm pulling for but is small and abused on defense. Frank is a willing facilitator (perhaps too much so) I hope that nurture and develop that.

(5)(5)
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/6/2018  3:18 PM
Love this kid...Has the skills to be a two-way player...Can break down his man off the dribble and get to any spot on the court and score from any spot on the court. Decent mid-range game and spot up shooter from 3....Can finish at the rim, through contact. Plays with defensive intensity and accepts challenges on the defensive end. Has the chase down block in the repertoire.

Areas to improve are his vision. Sometimes he penetrates too deep and picks up the ball when the rim is blocked. Needs to trust the pull up Jay. Would like to see him curl off pin-downs and shoot the Jay....Needs to get stronger with his left hand.

Chandler

11/6/2018  4:48 PM
Uptown wrote:Love this kid...Has the skills to be a two-way player...Can break down his man off the dribble and get to any spot on the court and score from any spot on the court. Decent mid-range game and spot up shooter from 3....Can finish at the rim, through contact. Plays with defensive intensity and accepts challenges on the defensive end. Has the chase down block in the repertoire.

Areas to improve are his vision. Sometimes he penetrates too deep and picks up the ball when the rim is blocked. Needs to trust the pull up Jay. Would like to see him curl off pin-downs and shoot the Jay....Needs to get stronger with his left hand.

very nice assessment

(5)(5)
Knixkik
USA
11/6/2018  4:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2018  4:49 PM
Uptown wrote:Love this kid...Has the skills to be a two-way player...Can break down his man off the dribble and get to any spot on the court and score from any spot on the court. Decent mid-range game and spot up shooter from 3....Can finish at the rim, through contact. Plays with defensive intensity and accepts challenges on the defensive end. Has the chase down block in the repertoire.

His defense has been impressive in the fact that he competes. You expect this type of player to fully embrace the role of microwave scorer and not focus on the other stuff, at least early on. He seems to want to be an all-around player already. Creating for others is the next step. The ability to get to the line is the most impressive thing to me (and making them.) That's what makes a good scorer great.

Uptown

11/6/2018  6:17 PM
Knixkik wrote:

His defense has been impressive in the fact that he competes. You expect this type of player to fully embrace the role of microwave scorer and not focus on the other stuff, at least early on. He seems to want to be an all-around player already. Creating for others is the next step. The ability to get to the line is the most impressive thing to me (and making them.) That's what makes a good scorer great.

Totally agree with his ability to not only get to the stripe but knock them down at ah 89% clip....I believe he has gotten to the line the 2nd most on the team. True scorer mentality who will D-up!! He is looking like our future starting 2G for sure...The most exciting part of his game is the confidence to take and make big shots at this stage of his development....We really lucked out with this kid. I'd lock him up now!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/6/2018  6:36 PM
Uptown wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Totally agree with his ability to not only get to the stripe but knock them down at ah 89% clip....I believe he has gotten to the line the 2nd most on the team. True scorer mentality who will D-up!! He is looking like our future starting 2G for sure...The most exciting part of his game is the confidence to take and make big shots at this stage of his development....We really lucked out with this kid. I'd lock him up now!

This. If Knox is the answer at small forward the Knicks added 3 starters in one draft class. The Knicks maybe set at 4 positions for the next 5-10 years once KP is back.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/6/2018  9:07 PM
I have been rooting for him to succeed and he is showing good stuff and a hunger for more. Really like that. - I am interested in seeing how effective he is in breaking down double teams or passing out them consistently. He is definitely a better defender than both Mudiay and Burke (admittedly not hard to do) but his effort and commitment is there and I don't want to take that away from him. If he starts to use a little more thinking in his game he can be special, not suggesting it needs to happen now or right away. But very encouraging overall - on a very small sample size.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Uptown

11/6/2018  9:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2018  9:22 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

This. If Knox is the answer at small forward the Knicks added 3 starters in one draft class. The Knicks maybe set at 4 positions for the next 5-10 years once KP is back.

Agreed...if thats the lineup, I feel we will need a PG who can not only knock down open jumpers, but a PG who has the ability to play down hill, get into the paint, collapse the D and kick being that Knox, at this point is most comfortable as a catch and shoot guy as he still needs to get better with is handle...Same for KP in terms of knocking down spot up jumpers....Not sure if Frank or Mudiay for that matter is the right starting point for that 4-some. Time will tell for Frank....

I do like Franks length with that group, but worry about his passiveness, lack of playing north and south and he isn't much of a play maker at this point...again, time will tell...

Knixkik
USA
11/6/2018  9:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

It’s nice to have drafted a bunch of potential starters. KP should regain franchise player status. This could be the East version of the Nuggets. We still eventually need another true star but Knox, trier, Robinson, hardaway, and Ntilikina is a great supporting cast in terms of upside.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/6/2018  10:54 PM
Treir may end up being rookie of R.O.Y with the kind of rope fiz has given him.
ES
Thoughts on Trier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy