crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/13/2017  6:01 PM
nixluva wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:How i see the top prospects right now as far as upside and downside. Just trying to figure out the gambles and sure things here.

Fultz- Upside: Lillard-level scoring PG, downside: maybe a better D Russell? Very little downside.
Ball- Upside: Poor man's prime J Kidd, downside: better shooting Rubio.
Jackson- Upside: Paul George, downside: Maybe a later career Shawn Marion, but likely closer to P George.
Tatum- Upside: Prime Danny Granger, downside: younger L Deng.
Smith- Upside: Kyle Lowry, downside: modern-day D Rose
Monk- Upside: Bradley Beal/McCollum: downside Eric Gordon
Fox- Upside: Poor man's Wall, downside: Rubio
Isaac- Upside: Rashard Lewis, downside: Anthony Randolph (biggest bust potential)
Ntilikina: Upside: Better Jrue Holiday, downside, maybe Mudiay?
Markkannen: Upside: Better Ryan Anderson, downside: Ryan Anderson (not much downside)
Bridges: Upside: Prime Larry Johnson, downside: Jae Crowder

That seems pretty fair.

I'm a little amused that so many guys here who want to get rid of Melo to rebuild seem to be on the Tatum train. Isn't Tatum very similar to Melo? He isos, he holds the ball with his little jab step moves... very similar to Melo... except he probably won't be as good...

Part of the reason for wanting rid of melo is his age and that he has become stubborn and refuses to be coached. I would hope that Tatum would be more shapeable.

I've watched Tatum many times and he's more UNSELFISH than Melo. I think he can fit into a team concept better. Yes he is adept at ISO but no one ever said a player should not have that skill. Tatum mixes it up well from what I've seen. He does have similar skills to Melo. I just think he's a better fit.

Melo averaged 23ppg 10rpg 2.2apg and won a championship his freshman year in college.

Tatum is at 16.8ppg 7rpg 2.2apg with very similar shooting, assist, blocks, steals, even foul numbers to Melo.

Not sure what evidence you have he's less selfish, but I'd be fascinated to see it.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/13/2017  6:11 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
Knixkik wrote:How i see the top prospects right now as far as upside and downside. Just trying to figure out the gambles and sure things here.

Fultz- Upside: Lillard-level scoring PG, downside: maybe a better D Russell? Very little downside.
Jackson- Upside: Paul George, downside: Maybe a later career Shawn Marion, but likely closer to P George.
Isaac- Upside: Rashard Lewis, downside: Anthony Randolph (biggest bust potential)
Markkannen: Upside: Better Ryan Anderson, downside: Ryan Anderson (not much downside)

That seems pretty fair.

I'm a little amused that so many guys here who want to get rid of Melo to rebuild seem to be on the Tatum train. Isn't Tatum very similar to Melo? He isos, he holds the ball with his little jab step moves... very similar to Melo... except he probably won't be as good...

Part of the reason for wanting rid of melo is his age and that he has become stubborn and refuses to be coached. I would hope that Tatum would be more shapeable.

I've watched Tatum many times and he's more UNSELFISH than Melo. I think he can fit into a team concept better. Yes he is adept at ISO but no one ever said a player should not have that skill. Tatum mixes it up well from what I've seen. He does have similar skills to Melo. I just think he's a better fit.

Melo averaged 23ppg 10rpg 2.2apg and won a championship his freshman year in college.

Tatum is at 16.8ppg 7rpg 2.2apg with very similar shooting, assist, blocks, steals, even foul numbers to Melo.

Not sure what evidence you have he's less selfish, but I'd be fascinated to see it.

SIMPLE the kid gives it up more and picks his spots! He's not ball dominant on his team. Assist numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Melo had a per 40 FGA of 19.2 whereas Tatum is at 15.2

crzymdups
USA
3/13/2017  6:16 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

That seems pretty fair.

SIMPLE the kid gives it up more and picks his spots! He's not ball dominant on his team. Assist numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Their shooting percentages are almost identical no matter how you slice them, so 4 more field goal attempts per 40min doesn't mean that much, that could be team makeup as much as anything else.

Still waiting for evidence that he gives up the ball more often. They're about as statistically equal as you can be, Melo just took a few more shots and rebounded much better. Unless Tatum is unselfishly not rebounding so his teammates can get them.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
3/13/2017  6:57 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

That seems pretty fair.

Their shooting percentages are almost identical no matter how you slice them, so 4 more field goal attempts per 40min doesn't mean that much, that could be team makeup as much as anything else.

Still waiting for evidence that he gives up the ball more often. They're about as statistically equal as you can be, Melo just took a few more shots and rebounded much better. Unless Tatum is unselfishly not rebounding so his teammates can get them.

This isn't about whether Tatum is better than Melo! This is about fit for this team and you seem to not really have a clear picture of how Tatum plays.

He's very similar in skills to Melo but he's not the same personality on the court. Of course all scorers look to get the ball a lot. You want the kid to have some killer instinct but they're not built the same. Tatum has a more slender build. He's more of a finesse player than a power player.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/13/2017  7:46 PM
I guarantee that Jason Tatum--one some NBA teams boards--after his last 4 games--is a numbe5r 1 prospect on some of them. The Cs dont need either of those PGs either.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
USA
3/13/2017  7:53 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

That seems pretty fair.

This isn't about whether Tatum is better than Melo! This is about fit for this team and you seem to not really have a clear picture of how Tatum plays.

He's very similar in skills to Melo but he's not the same personality on the court. Of course all scorers look to get the ball a lot. You want the kid to have some killer instinct but they're not built the same. Tatum has a more slender build. He's more of a finesse player than a power player.

He still Isos and holds the ball just as much as Melo. Which is what supposedly broke the triangle this year. (Though weirdly it didn't seem to break the triangle when Kobe or MJ did it, though Phil said the same thing about them)

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/13/2017  7:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:I guarantee that Jason Tatum--one some NBA teams boards--after his last 4 games--is a numbe5r 1 prospect on some of them. The Cs dont need either of those PGs either.

I agree he's very good. Saying the kid reminds me of Melo is not an insult in my book.

I just think it's funny that people who think Melo's Isos and holding the ball destroyed the offense this year are hyping a kid who Isos and holds the ball.

I think he'll be good. Though I do have some wariness about Duke players in the draft. Lots of busts, including Okafor who we both liked. And Winslow who I liked. Not that those guys are total busts... But they're disappointing so far to be sure.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
3/14/2017  12:58 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

That seems pretty fair.

He still Isos and holds the ball just as much as Melo. Which is what supposedly broke the triangle this year. (Though weirdly it didn't seem to break the triangle when Kobe or MJ did it, though Phil said the same thing about them)

The reason Phil would complain is when a teammate made a cut and was open you MUST make that pass. There's no reason to force a tougher shot. The entire point of team ball is to get the BEST shot and not just any shot. This is how the Spurs play and basically what the Triangle is about. So Phil who knows all about TEAM BALL from his Knicks Championship team days is only looking to teach his players how to play like that.

Those old Knicks didn't need a system but the Triangle provides a format for team ball and teaching players how to be smarter. It's deeper than PnR. PnR works but not so much when you face the top Defensive teams in the playoffs. You want to have something more to what you do that has more options when the defense stops the initial action. It's just one way to achieve that goal. Not the only way just the way Phil has become most familiar with.

Now ISO is built into the system!!! This is really not a surprise. Phil's issue is not with ISO which is part of the way the Triangle works, but his problem is when the RIGHT play is to draw the defense and make the pass then you MUST DO IT. So the ISO's that the Triangle creates forces the D to respond and if they don't then you can proceed with the ISO possession. The Offense is LITERALLY named the TRIPLE POST OFFENSE, so yeah ISO or a One on One play is going to be at the crux of that, but passing to moving teammates is also at the core of the system.

nixluva
USA
3/14/2017  1:03 AM
GREAT TANK NIGHT! The Kings won over the Magic and that bumps us into a tie for the 6 spot.
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/14/2017  6:59 AM
nixluva wrote:GREAT TANK NIGHT! The Kings won over the Magic and that bumps us into a tie for the 6 spot.

And the twolves won to add further separation from us. 4th spot is now a possibility, and third we have an outside shot at. After the nets game our schedule is absolutely brutal

crzymdups
USA
3/14/2017  7:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/14/2017  7:05 AM
smackeddog wrote:
nixluva wrote:GREAT TANK NIGHT! The Kings won over the Magic and that bumps us into a tie for the 6 spot.

And the twolves won to add further separation from us. 4th spot is now a possibility, and third we have an outside shot at. After the nets game our schedule is absolutely brutal

Phoenix has some games against the tank commanders coming up - it's good for us if Phoenix wins, good for us if they lose to Sacramento and Orlando! Phoenix has two games against Sacto

Actually Phoenix has Sacto and Orlando as its next two

AND

Sacto has Phoenix and Orlando...

Saw this on another site, if you open it in a new tab, it's big enough to read:

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
3/15/2017  12:01 AM
Now after the Knicks won we've gotta hope the Kings beat the Suns in their next game. NYK is just a half game back of the Kings for the 6 spot.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/15/2017  10:05 AM
nixluva wrote:Now after the Knicks won we've gotta hope the Kings beat the Suns in their next game. NYK is just a half game back of the Kings for the 6 spot.

The Kings are really bad, and trying to lose. I doubt we jump ahead of them. The seedings are starting to settle a little bit. We need to keep an eye on New Orleans, Minn, Dallas, and Charlotte to make sure they stay ahead of us. 7 is probably our most likely landing spot.

nixluva
USA
3/15/2017  11:37 AM
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:Now after the Knicks won we've gotta hope the Kings beat the Suns in their next game. NYK is just a half game back of the Kings for the 6 spot.

The Kings are really bad, and trying to lose. I doubt we jump ahead of them. The seedings are starting to settle a little bit. We need to keep an eye on New Orleans, Minn, Dallas, and Charlotte to make sure they stay ahead of us. 7 is probably our most likely landing spot.

I've been watching the Kings games and they are most definitely trying to win. They just aren't consistent in any thing they do but they play hard and lost some games they led like the Knicks.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/15/2017  12:47 PM
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I've been watching the Kings games and they are most definitely trying to win. They just aren't consistent in any thing they do but they play hard and lost some games they led like the Knicks.

Players don't try to lose. Of course they are going to play hard. Whenever we talk about tanking, it's not the players or the coaches. The Kings have been sitting many of their starting players, and will continue to do so. That is what upper management demands of the team, to sit guys and play the young players big minutes, that indicates a team trying to lose games.

nixluva
USA
3/15/2017  4:32 PM
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Players don't try to lose. Of course they are going to play hard. Whenever we talk about tanking, it's not the players or the coaches. The Kings have been sitting many of their starting players, and will continue to do so. That is what upper management demands of the team, to sit guys and play the young players big minutes, that indicates a team trying to lose games.

I understand the Tanking principles, just that when they won their last game I didn't see them resting starting players. Perhaps I missed the games where they did that. I saw them in an overtime loss to the Wizards and the win against the Magic. I missed the game in between against the Nuggets.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
3/15/2017  10:08 PM
after ball fultz it's a crapshoot - fox and Tatum could gontop 5 or 5-9. Id like one of the two or Monk if both are gone.
smackeddog
3/16/2017  3:58 AM
Paris907 wrote:after ball fultz it's a crapshoot - fox and Tatum could gontop 5 or 5-9. Id like one of the two or Monk if both are gone.

Top 3 are Fultz, Ball and Josh Jackson. Then I'd say Tatum and Fox. Then it's unclear.

Remember we'll either have pick 1 to 3 (unlikely, but it's a possibility) or where we finish in the standings (and we could fall 2 spots if 2 teams after us move up in the draft), therefore there's basically no chance we end up with the 4th pick. If we don't finish 5th there is zero chance of that either. So basically we have no shot at the second tier talents

smackeddog
3/16/2017  4:00 AM
Kings win again! We're in a 3 way tie with pelicans and kings - and those two teams still have to play each other. We'd better not win the nets game!
reub
Member: #6227

3/16/2017  11:19 AM
smackeddog wrote:Kings win again! We're in a 3 way tie with pelicans and kings - and those two teams still have to play each other. We'd better not win the nets game!

Great news! I believe that KP is out of tonight's game and that should help our efforts to tank.
2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy