[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

with KT gone we need a new 6'8 player to put at center
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/24/2005  12:42 PM
[IMG_block] http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050125/050125_diogu_vmed_9p.hmedium.jpg [/IMG_block]

[IMG_block] http://covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=44726&tid=29&t=1 [/IMG_block]

[IMG_block] http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/97/photo_spreads/basketball_asu/5_t.jpg [/IMG_block]
someone behind me?

[IMG_block] http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/97/photo_spreads/basketball_asu/2_t.jpg [/IMG_block]
who's taller?

[IMG_block] http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/images/032303/ku.hinrichdives.jpg [/IMG_block]

[IMG_block] http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/images/2005/1/13/1sp.m.basketball.picA.jpg [/IMG_block]
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/24/2005  12:43 PM
no thanks.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  12:44 PM
best post player in CBB, tough, has a motor.

I would rather have Bynum for the star potential but I will take Ike for Channing 8 days a week
TMS
USA
6/24/2005  12:45 PM
unless you're trading Sweetney, then why?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/24/2005  12:46 PM
The more I think of it, the more I wouldn't be upset with this.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  12:52 PM
Posted by TMS:

same reason I would be happy to draft Granger with Ariza and Q on roster.

We are a 30 win team, and we need all the things Ike offers; a tough physical post player. He's got great moves around the basket. He's got KT distance on his jumper, he lives at the FT line, he's got a nonstop motor and he's chisled.

I'm still collecting talent, and MS (still like him) hasnt done enough for me to warrant me basing my draft around him. If we are looking at guys that can help quickly and looking at a guy like Frye I would much rather take Ike.
TMS
USA
6/24/2005  12:55 PM
but at the #8? who else is even interested in Ike at that high a pick? trading down for him & getting an extra pick w/which you can maybe get a Taft or another C? fine, i'm down w/that...but to use a #8 pick on another undersized PF when we have a collection of them already doesn't make any sense to me unless you think this kid has superstar potential...taking a kid like Greene or Granger at that pick makes sense because they have tremendous upsides.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/24/2005  12:57 PM
But to play center for the Knicks when it is clear that we need a lot of size, especially after the KT trade? You know more about Ike than I do, but I don't think I would be happy drafting yet another undersized PF. Maybe he is the real deal, but so has Bynum been hyped to be, and if that's the case I would have to go with Bynum because he has the size advantage.

What about trading Sweetney for a mid 1st round pick and getting Ike anyway? I don't know much about him, but if the Knicks need something desperately is a player tallet than at least 6'11"...
Knicks_Fan
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/24/2005  1:00 PM
Ike will not go as high as 8. The highest I have him going is #15 to NJ. but i think the Nets will take Vazquez

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/24/2005 13:03:44]
TMS
USA
6/24/2005  1:01 PM
hell, if we're interested in undersized PF's, why isn't anyone talking about Sean May? at least he's proven himself to be a bigtime player in NCAA tournament competition...i just don't see the point in going this route again, unless we're trading Sweetney & addressing our size needs in other ways...having 2 Sweetney's on the team seems kinda pointless to me...Ariza is a unique player who fills a unique role...drafting a Greene or Granger doesn't bother me nearly as much since i think both those kids can be stars in this league.
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  1:01 PM
Posted by TMS:

but at the #8? who else is even interested in Ike at that high a pick? trading down for him & getting an extra pick w/which you can maybe get a Taft or another C? fine, i'm down w/that...but to use a #8 pick on another undersized PF when we have a collection of them already doesn't make any sense to me unless you think this kid has superstar potential...taking a kid like Greene or Granger at that pick makes sense because they have tremendous upsides.
he's a reach at 8, I will admit, but I think he will go higher than most thing. GS taking him at 9 is possible.

I also fail to see why he's undersized.. look at him. 7'5 wingspan. Yea.. he's 6'8. If he's 6'9 its a non arguement. Also look at the guys that are going ahead of him... guys like Vasquez.

I would have one concern, and thats the good player bad team label, but losing never stopped him from going full steam all the time.

Its just an option. If we are looking for a homerun then you swing with Bynum, but if we are looking at addressing needs with guys like Frye or Graham I would rather go in this direction.
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  1:05 PM
MAy = having 2 Sweetneys. Scroll up... Ike is build like a linebacker. This isnt a guy pushing people around with bodyfat.

Jerry West drafted Gooden with Gasol, Swift and Wright on the roster, because he didnt like the players behind him. So we play them both for awhile, maybe Sweetney outplays him and he's ready for major minutes. Maybe its the other way around.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/24/2005  1:06 PM
Fish this is very funny.

meanwhile it looks like you are avoiding crunching your numbers today.

I will admit that something impressed me right off the bat when i was watching the video clips. Ike seems to have that "crazy energy" that is really important in his style of player. All that jumping up and down, waving those arms, attacking the basket and boards with abandon, he's bursting with it. It's something JYD has but just lacks the talent to turn it into dominance.

i'm still curious - what the hell would we do at center? I'm assuming you're kidding about Ike playing center. Right?

Are you advocating a signing or trade for a Dalembert, Gadzuric, etc? Are you thinking we get a center at 30? Make a miracle trade with our PF glut? You've probably said elsewhere but i'd love to hear again in light of your lobbying for Ike at 8. (btw I have Boston taking him at 18).
gunsnewing
USA
6/24/2005  1:10 PM
Posted by Marv:

Fish this is very funny.

I will admit that something impressed me right off the bat when i was watching the video clips. Ike seems to have that "crazy energy" that is really important in his style of player. All that jumping up and down, waving those arms, attacking the basket and boards with abandon, he's bursting with it. It's something JYD has but just lacks the talent to turn it into dominance.

i'm still curious - what the hell would we do at center? I'm assuming you're kidding about Ike playing center. Right?

Are you advocating a signing or trade for a Dalembert, Gadzuric, etc? Are you thinking we get a center at 30? Make a miracle trade with our PF glut? You've probably said elsewhere but i'd love to hear again in light of your lobbying for Ike at 8. (btw I have Boston taking him at 18).

get Illgaukus and draft Bynum, Green, Granger or Graham and you built yourself a juggernaut with Marbury, Q, Craw & Ariza already on the team!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/24/2005 13:11:46]
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  1:13 PM
Posted by Marv:

Fish this is very funny.

thank you!!! the motor is everything. Thats the point. He doesnt get double doubles by being fat in the post. He's got a motor.. thats his MO. The Jerome comparison is good, only 100 times more skilled.

As for center? Certainly not in the long term, NO. But I dont want to take a lesser player to fill a need, not when we are a 30 win team and better guys are on the board.

Tell you what will happen with at center though... he will work and fight every minute and match KT's numbers easy.
gunsnewing
USA
6/24/2005  1:20 PM
just because he has muscle and hustle like Ben Wallace doesn't mean he's the answer to our frontcourt problems especially since he doesn't have the shot-blocking ability and athletism of Ben. Ben would be a bench player without those key aspects.

For one we need someone who can score inside 1st and foremost secondly is Ike good enough to start on the Knicks and help us win games? I can see him starting in Jersey alongside Kristic but not alongside Rose or Sweetney.
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  1:29 PM
here's a reminder:
Ben went undrafted. Nobody picked him.. twice.

Also this guy isnt a bad athlete. He's not explosive but neither is Brand, Zach, Boozer or a ton of other good and GREAT players. This guy is a good athlete. Give him space he will throw it down in your face. Crowd him he's going to the FT line.
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  1:30 PM
one other thing Guns; nobody we pick 8 is solving our frontcourt problems, unless its Bynum AND he half the player Briggs thinks he will be.

Who's solving our froncourt problems? Frye? Vasquez?
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/24/2005  1:34 PM
A kid like him is valuable to us only if both Sweet and Malik are gone. To tell you the truth, the more I think about it is the more I want get rid off Malik. He is valuable, but I don't know if we really need him.

Posted by fishmike:
Posted by TMS:

same reason I would be happy to draft Granger with Ariza and Q on roster.

We are a 30 win team, and we need all the things Ike offers; a tough physical post player. He's got great moves around the basket. He's got KT distance on his jumper, he lives at the FT line, he's got a nonstop motor and he's chisled.

I'm still collecting talent, and MS (still like him) hasnt done enough for me to warrant me basing my draft around him. If we are looking at guys that can help quickly and looking at a guy like Frye I would much rather take Ike.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
USA
6/24/2005  1:41 PM
Posted by diderotn:
To tell you the truth, the more I think about it....
you gotta stop doing that. Your going to hurt yourself
with KT gone we need a new 6'8 player to put at center

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy