[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The best news ever (Allan Houston options with new CBA)
Author Thread
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/23/2005  9:41 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

What but the money does come off our cap right?
It does come off our cap. We pay the player in one lump sum and release him. Atleast thats what I got from the article. This issue will be clarified when details of the CBA are released.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/23/2005  9:44 AM
No, we will not be obligated to pay a tax penalty if Houston retires
The true Knickabocker..........
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/23/2005  9:45 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

It does come off our cap. We pay the player in one lump sum and release him. Atleast thats what I got from the article. This issue will be clarified when details of the CBA are released.
No it doesn't come off of our cap. It just comes off of the luxury tax. But that still is a good thing, because it allows us to spend money on a pick or something; and Houston will be gone off of our books in 2 seasons.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/23/2005  9:59 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

No it doesn't come off of our cap. It just comes off of the luxury tax. But that still is a good thing, because it allows us to spend money on a pick or something; and Houston will be gone off of our books in 2 seasons.

ugh! oh well I guess its better nothing. Getting Houston's $20mil off our cao so that we can bring in actual championship calibur players would've been the key but I guess we are stuck for 2yrs
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/23/2005  10:27 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

exactly. with an extra $40 mil to bring back in trades, hold on to your seat people, the babyface assassin is just getting started...
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/23/2005  11:54 AM
now watch Allan Houston come back next year & post up awesome #'s for a title contending team next year (San Antonio, Phoenix, Houston?)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/23/2005  11:58 AM
Maybe there's a common thread here

McDyess got the cold Isiah stare

and now Houston.

Maybe its because they're both washed up?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/23/2005  12:20 PM
Posted by TMS:

now watch Allan Houston come back next year & post up awesome #'s for a title contending team next year (San Antonio, Phoenix, Houston?)

I was thinking the same exact thing man. Or maybe he joins MIAMI or even worse, the Pacers and knocks us out of the first round with a game winning jumper.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Silverfuel
USA
6/23/2005  12:24 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by TMS:

I was thinking the same exact thing man. Or maybe he joins MIAMI or even worse, the Pacers and knocks us out of the first round with a game winning jumper.
Houston has been significantly slow thE last few years due to his injury. If his defender lets him get open enough for a jumper in the final seconds then he is to be blamed for that. I hope we dont have to see the day when that happens.

With that said, I would be happy if the Knicks can make the playoffs and can compete with the Pacers or Miami enough for them to require a game winning jumper to beat us.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 06/23/2005 12:25:35]
deebo
Member: #740
6/23/2005  12:27 PM
That's what scares me the most. That Houston may come back and be a beast. I think we should use this option this year on Penny, see how Houston turns out, and if he doesn't work out well, use the option on him next year.
Don''t sleep!
Silverfuel
USA
6/23/2005  12:30 PM
Posted by deebo:

and if he doesn't work out well, use the option on him next year.
This is a one time only opportunity as per the article

The Knicks are expected to take advantage of the one-time only offer and would save approximately $40 million if they waive Houston, the oft-injured shooting guard team president Isiah Thomas has been trying to remove from the roster since last year.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/23/2005  12:39 PM
Stephen A. Smith said on ESPN radio that the Players' Union is still trying to negotiate the provision so that it would permit teams to get salary cap relief for the one time ability to buyout a player.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
6/23/2005  12:44 PM
@ rich: well that's even better news
but seriously, for sentimental reasons, I'd feel really sad the day the Knicks force Houston out. I'd probably agree that it is the right thing to do, but we are now throwing someone who has done so much for us at the door for money reasons. I know saving $40 million is great, but somehow, it just doesn't seem like the clear-cut good thing to do.
http://allknicks.com
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/23/2005  12:57 PM
But what exactly means that this is a one-time only offer? After using it, teams can never again have that option?
Knicks_Fan
diderotn
USA
6/23/2005  1:00 PM
How many rings has Houston earned the Knicks??? 0. If Jordan/Shaq/Russell/and many other greats have gotten kicked to the curbs, why not Houston??? Jordan won Chicago 6 rings, Shaq 3, etc. Houston 0, he wasn't even our best player. He didn't earn the Knicks any money, because he is not a marketable player....

Posted by teslawlo:

but seriously, for sentimental reasons, I'd feel really sad the day the Knicks force Houston out. I'd probably agree that it is the right thing to do, but we are now throwing someone who has done so much for us at the door for money reasons. I know saving $40 million is great, but somehow, it just doesn't seem like the clear-cut good thing to do.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/23/2005  1:14 PM
Posted by diderotn:

How many rings has Houston earned the Knicks??? 0. If Jordan/Shaq/Russell/and many other greats have gotten kicked to the curbs, why not Houston??? Jordan won Chicago 6 rings, Shaq 3, etc. Houston 0, he wasn't even our best player. He didn't earn the Knicks any money, because he is not a marketable player....

Posted by teslawlo:

Marbury has street cred

Houston has Church Cred
diderotn
USA
6/23/2005  1:25 PM
what does that mean????
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/23/2005  2:22 PM
I don't think they should buy out Houston's contract or release. Well I don't pay that tax so I guess I can say that but the Knicks and Houston should wait see if he is capable of playing basketball this coming season. I rather have him retire for medical reasons. If he is forced to retired to medical reasons the Knicks could get some of that money off the cap I think. I can't remember but when Jayson Williams was forced to retired didn't the Nets get some cap relief, I know the Knicks got some relief from LJ medical retirement. Also if he is able to play then he could still be tradeable if the Knicks are indeed rebuilding from scratch, and he and Marbury could be traded next season.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
6/23/2005  3:52 PM
are the Knicks paying him all 40 mill this season or will his salary expire when his contract is over???
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/23/2005  4:15 PM
Posted by Cookdcokehop:

are the Knicks paying him all 40 mill this season or will his salary expire when his contract is over???

no, the Knicks are saving the LUXURY tax that would have been paid on Allan Houston's contract over the next 3 years, which tallies up to $40 million in total...his contract will still be on our books & the KNicks will still be capped out until 2007/08 when Houston's contract comes off the books.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
The best news ever (Allan Houston options with new CBA)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy