[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We all knew it would come down to a Game 7!
Author Thread
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/22/2005  1:09 AM
Two great teams will battle for the ultimate goal, the championship, when the Spurs and the Pistons play the final game on thursday night at San Antonio. The two best defensive teams of the league, the last two teams to win the championship, it couldn't end differently.

This has been a strange but great series, at least the last games. Against all odds, the Spurs started the series with two routs, only to see the Pistons strike back with the same poison. But when were this teams going to play the expected close, drama-filled game everyone expected to see in the whole series?

In Game 5 both teams performed in what easily is a classic game, with enough drama and controversy to make you forget the first games. A Playoffs hero delivered again, being left wide open for a three that would later ignite a lot of criticism from the player supposed to cover him, Rasheed Wallace. The Spurs would win it at Detroit, really stating the series, as the say goes that " a series begins when the home team loses".

While casual fans would declare Detroit dead, people following the NBA closely knew that when the Pistons are against the walls, they perform at their best. Proving them right, the Pistons reacted in Game 6, yet another game close until the end. Again, no team got up by more than 3 points. The Spurs getting the best of their inside-outside game, either finding Duncan for an easy bucket, of passing outside for a three. Meanwhile, Detroit used their energy and their patience to find ways to score, keeping them in the game. But in the end, the Pistons would prevail, hitting tough shots and making the Spurs turn the ball over and miss three's with their great defense.

Now, it all comes down to what many expected and most hoped, a Game 7 winner-takes-all. For the Pistons, the task isn't easy as they have to make what no other team has ever done: win two on the road in Games 6 and 7. And don't forget the fact that they just handed the Spurs their 6th loss at home this season. But things aren't easy for San Antonio too, as they have to defeat the current champions, a team that has proved that is no fluke, that their team play can stop any star-driven team. They go against a team that plays at their best when they are against the walls. A team that has really shown to belong here, in the Finals, and to deserve their rings of last season.

Thursday night, a great series comes to an end. Both teams are champions, but only one can take the trophy home. Will the Spurs clinch it at home? Will the Pistons pull off the miracle and shut up critics? We'll soon find out on the game both teams knew they would have to play: Game Seven.

[Edited by - KnicksFan on 06/22/2005 01:10:23]
Knicks_Fan
AUTOADVERT
manilaballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #521
Philippines
6/22/2005  2:35 AM
Well, I thought the Spurs would end it in 6, I guess it will be Spurs in 7 then

I have to admit, I was one of the many that were really disappointed when the finals matchup was decided, thinking that this would be the most boring (and possibly lopsided) finals ever. Hats off to Detroit, they are the real deal. Miami, my choice for East Champs, wouldn't have survived 6 games vs. the Spurs.

As for excitement, the last two games were awesome! I've never been a Horry fan, but now I guess I am! What an enigma, how can he just take over big games like that... while remaining largely anonymous the rest of the season?! And the only other guy with the monicker "big shot", Chauncey Billups? He's been ballin' as well.

Game 7 is gonna be around 9am Friday over here, I'm gonna take half the day off from work just to watch it
KNICKS 2006
Ira
Member: #91
6/22/2005  3:05 AM
These are two good franchises and two good teams. Whoever wins game 7, congratulations to both of them.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/22/2005  3:07 AM
Detroit is indeed a very surprising team.

There is a saying I read somewhere that you needed to win the championship twice to be considered as real.

In my book the pistons already proved a lot by reaching the finals again and playing weel against a very strong spurs team. Winning that game 6 on the road was really tough when it would've been sooooo easy to fold.

OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/22/2005  9:37 AM
I too thought the Spurs would take it in 6 - I am not going to deny I still think they will win it in 7. However I think fans of basketball win if either team takes game 7 - this has been a great series and I actually am rooting for both teams to win. I will be happy if either of them take the trphy - its a tough decision to pick one, although San Antonio did beat the Knicks in 99...I dont have i'll will towards them, that Knicks team was not good enough to win a championship. Maybe with a 100% healthy Ewing but he was sidelined.

As much as I want to see Detroit cement itself as a true champion, I also think the Spurs are the most uderrated dynasty ever. They bring it every year, and they have 2 championships, 3 would solidify them. Whoever wins will reach the holy grail of NBA greatness.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/22/2005  12:11 PM
Rashweed stepped it up last nite. Made all the difference!
Ira
Member: #91
6/22/2005  1:14 PM
I agree with what everyone's been saying. Regardless of the outcome, the Piston's showed a lot of heart in getting to game 7.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/22/2005  1:31 PM
There was a moment when Billups wanted to protest a bad call and he just kept running around to compose himself.

They were focused on the task! Mentally strong players can do this! They basically let game 5 slip, and were confident enough to maintain momentum!

Larry Brown is a great coach! I respect and like both teams, but this would cement his place and the pistons as a great team rather than a fluke who took the lakes when they were cooked last year.

Bring larry home to us!
Knicksfan
USA
6/22/2005  2:15 PM
Posted by Nalod:

There was a moment when Billups wanted to protest a bad call and he just kept running around to compose himself.

They were focused on the task! Mentally strong players can do this! They basically let game 5 slip, and were confident enough to maintain momentum!

Larry Brown is a great coach! I respect and like both teams, but this would cement his place and the pistons as a great team rather than a fluke who took the lakes when they were cooked last year.

Bring larry home to us!

Yeah!
Knicks_Fan
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
6/22/2005  4:05 PM
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/22/2005  4:51 PM
wow that's a good angle.

don't you love the way rip just collapses to the side?
Knicksfan
USA
6/23/2005  2:05 AM
What a dunk!
Knicks_Fan
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/23/2005  2:33 AM
never ever underestimate the heart of a champion!

you check out that bling belt rasheed totes around

no hype.....pistons are for real
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
6/23/2005  2:42 AM
Posted by Bobby:

no hype.....pistons are for real
One championship too late from being a bold post.
We all knew it would come down to a Game 7!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy