taft, may - roundup
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/22/2005  12:27 AM
Taft, May Clear Up Mysteries At Workouts
by Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, June 21, 2005 -- Paging Hercule Poirot. Calling Sherlock Holmes. On a misty Tuesday morning, the New York Knicks worked out probably the two most mystifying players in the 2005 NBA Draft at their Madison Square Garden Training Center.

"I'm the most controversial player in the draft," 6-11 Pitt power source Chris Taft flashes an inscrutable smile. "And I have no idea why." That's another mystery because the reasons appear quite apparent: after the end of his freshman season, the rock-like Taft was tagged as a surefire lottery selection as perhaps the nation's most promising young big man. A year later...well, people just don't know.

As good as Taft was as a sophomore, when a kid this gifted and this big gives you just 13.3 points and 7.5 rebounds a game (as well as less than 2 blocked shots) it's difficult to get rid of that pesky he-should-have-been-better feeling.

It's not the talent -- he's as quick and agile as any big guy around and then some. It's not the build -- the sculpted 260-pound Taft owns a body from God. Still, for whatever reason, this personable and well-spoken center/forward has not been consistent as a college player at Pitt and really hasn't developed anything resembling a go-to post-move.

"What you must understand is how much I've improved my offense SINCE my season ended," says Taft, joining the ever-growing number of Knicks-workout participants (Allan Anderson of Michigan State, Northwestern's T.J. Parker, et. al.) who feel that they were somehow held back -- or at least haven't had their chance to show their real stuff -- in their college system.

Which is something of a semi-mystery in itself.

"Just check with the nine teams I've worked out for," stresses Taft. "My offense is coming along real well -- sky hooks, jump-shots, either hand, things like that. I've worked on my game so much with my trainer I don't understand how anyone could have a doubt. He's worked me out so much and so hard, I'm prepared for any eventuality. NBA three-s, college three-s, off dribble pull-ups, pick-and-rolls, post-moves, I feel comfortable. You name it."

"In the NBA, there are a lot of guys who get 6-8 points a game along with 10-12 rebounds -- Ben Wallace, for one -- and they are very successful," says Taft. "I think I could be a Ben Wallace -- at first. Eventually, I would like to be a combination of Ben and Kevin Garnett. I think I could reach that level."

The mystery about North Carolina's Sean May is why a big man with a game as evolved as his -- the NCAA Final Four MVP was barely a blip on the scouts' radar just a few months back and even now is rarely spoken of as a lottery pick -- can be so very underrated. "At first on our team Rashad McCants was seen as the best player," May says with a smile that's more understanding than rueful. "Then it was Raymond Felton -- he fell into a flow. I've always done what I've been doing lately but I was just in the shadow of two great players. And that happens on a team as good as ours."

Sean May looks to carry his college success into the NBA.
MSG Photos
"For me, I know I can play this game," adds May whose Dad, Scott, starred on the last unbeaten NCAA Championship team (Indiana, 1976). "So whether I go No. 1 or 15 or 20, it doesn't matter. Whatever team gets me will get a steal because they're going to get a player who is ready, who's confident, who is a student of the game, and who is going to come in and wreak havoc."

One concern may be that, though he looks more cut than ever, May is still working on a little baby-fat. "I've already dropped 25 pounds," he says. "But, it's true, I am about a year and a half away from where my body is going to be. Still, right now the team that drafts me is already getting a player that's hungry." Well, so to speak.

If this sounds a lot like a sequel to "The Michael Sweetney Story", it is. And, as Knicks fans well know, it can't get much Sweet-er than that.

So it's no coincidence that becoming a New York Knick would be a sweet thing for May. "I'd love it," he says. "This is a historic, storied team. My dad and (President, Basketball Operations) Isiah (Thomas) played for the same school. They keep in touch. And this organization is full of class." Taft, for one, would feel even sweeter. "The Knicks? I'd just plain break down and cry," he says, nearly welling up at the mere thought. "I'm from Brooklyn. I'm home. Playing in front of my family and friends...Wow! I've got no words to express that feeling. But, should that happen next Tuesday, I'll invent some."
AUTOADVERT
rain
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #353
USA
6/22/2005  1:31 AM
"it can't get much sweet-er than that"...

yes it can. Without the buffets.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/22/2005  6:38 AM
I do think that Taft is going to be the steal of this draft...He is taking the same path as Amare.....whomever selects this kid will be banking in 2 years....
The true Knickabocker..........
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
6/22/2005  1:13 PM
I can see the nets all over taft this draft.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/22/2005  2:10 PM
Would you take Taft over Blatche or another good prospect with the #30? It looks like he may be avaliable on that pick.

We need another 2nd round pick!!
Knicks_Fan
purple012870
Member: #432
6/22/2005  2:20 PM
I hope & pray the Nets take Taft (who sucks). I fear they might end up with May (whose great hands would be a perfect fit for Kidd & whose low box presence would be nasty with the 3 all stars on the perimeter). I also fear they may get a guy like Warrick or Graham.
taft, may - roundup

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy