[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

breaking down the CBA (from the chad)
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/22/2005  10:03 AM
Give Isiah time, he will find us a Jeter...I actually believe that Ariza is or will be a very special player with playing time. You know the part that I like the most about the new rule, it is the fact that rookies will only be guarantied their first two years...That is an added bonus...

Posted by Knicksfan:

Now we need to find our Jeter in the draft!
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/22/2005  10:10 AM
For sale....

Throwback Allan Houston Knicks replicas. Both Home and Away. Size: 52-Blue, 48 White. priced to sell. $100 each.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/22/2005  10:12 AM
Posted by joec32033:

For sale....

Throwback Allan Houston Knicks replicas. Both Home and Away. Size: 52-Blue, 48 White. priced to sell. $100 each.

Why don't you at least keep one? They will soon be collector's items...
Knicks_Fan
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2005  11:06 AM
Second, each team will be given a one-time option this summer to waive one player from its roster and receive luxury tax relief. The team will still have to pay the player and his salary will still count against the cap, but the team won't have to pay a luxury tax on his salary. For example, the Knicks' Allan Houston might a candidate to be waived because of this rule.
wow... thats really stunning. The Knicks will waive Allan Houston. Its crazy to think but true. He will probably play somewhere else and get booed when he comes here for all the problems the Knicks have experienced in the last 10 years but hey... thats NY and Knick fans.

Great news about 2nd round picks... it ties up our MLE next year but at least we dont have to worry about losing him.

Also good news regarding trades, or bad depending on how you look at it. Easier to do stuff, which is a little scary when Isiah is your GM :O
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
joec32033
USA
6/22/2005  11:07 AM
Posted by Knicksfan:
Posted by joec32033:

For sale....

Why don't you at least keep one? They will soon be collector's items...

Maybe I can sell one to Silver and he can burn it in effigy!
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
6/22/2005  11:12 AM
Considering the new rules, would the best option be to use the injury exception on Allan and waive Penny? That would amount to close than $50 million in relief for next year.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
joec32033
USA
6/22/2005  11:14 AM
Posted by eViL:

Considering the new rules, would the best option be to use the injury exception on Allan and waive Penny? That would amount to close than $50 million in relief for next year.

Idk...the way I look at it...Penny is at least tradeable, with his contract. And Allan has been cleared to play a couple times, so I don't think we can actually use the Injury exception on Allan. I would waive Allan and just let Penny and T come off the books (if we can't get a draft pick for them or If there is no truth to the Boozer deal).
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/22/2005  11:19 AM
well I think you've got to let allan try to play a few games unless the Knicks are sure he's done- otherwise we're still paying him, he still counts towards our cap (though we're not paying a tax on it) and he's helping out another team?

That's what I read.

Mo T or Rose might be a good waiver candidate
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/22/2005  11:25 AM
GET rid of Allan...and get rid of Kurt Thomas...start fresh and the result will be much different...Think of it this way,, since Houston and Kurt, how many winning seasons have we had?????

Posted by franco12:

well I think you've got to let allan try to play a few games unless the Knicks are sure he's done- otherwise we're still paying him, he still counts towards our cap (though we're not paying a tax on it) and he's helping out another team?

That's what I read.

Mo T or Rose might be a good waiver candidate
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/22/2005  11:59 AM
Posted by eViL:

if allan is deemed unable to play this year, that $20 mil would come off the CAP in 06/07 - doesn't really help us any since we're still over. so, in essence, he would cost $19 (this year) + $19 (tax) = $38 this year and that's it. (but i think he would be cleared to play - at least he talks like he would).

if we waive him, then he would cost us $19 (this year) + $20 (next year) + 0 (tax) = $40 mil over two years.

if we waive penny, then we save $15 (tax) this year.
eViL
USA
6/22/2005  12:17 PM
Right, but one year of his contract at $20 mil would come off of next years cap, along with Penny's contract at $15 mil, along with TT's contract at $14 mil - that would be almost a $50 million dollar drop in our cap figure (from $108 mil to $63 mil) in one years time. You are right that we'd pay more in tax. But in my scenario, some additional moves might bring us underneath the cap in one years time. Regardless, I think these new rules can make the rebuilding effort a lot easier for the Knicks.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
fishmike
USA
6/22/2005  12:39 PM
does anyone know if the luxury tax has ever been paid? Has it ever hit?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/22/2005  12:39 PM
Posted by eViL:

Right, but one year of his contract at $20 mil would come off of next years cap, along with Penny's contract at $15 mil, along with TT's contract at $14 mil - that would be almost a $50 million dollar drop in our cap figure (from $108 mil to $63 mil) in one years time. You are right that we'd pay more in tax. But in my scenario, some additional moves might bring us underneath the cap in one years time. Regardless, I think these new rules can make the rebuilding effort a lot easier for the Knicks.

That's if Allan is unable to play?

I worry that Allan is going to be like the knight in Holy Grail that has all his limbs cut off, but still wants to fight.

Allan shut it down this year, but he could limp out on the court and say he's ready & sure, a doctor can say 'he can play'- but Sundov is healthy and 'he can play'.

But, if we're releasing allan, I've got to bet that might be some decent players out there that you might be able to pick up for the MLE or LLE.
eViL
USA
6/22/2005  12:47 PM
Will Allan be "unable to play"? That's a major question with regards to the scenario I put out there. I can see him insisting he can play. Or maybe someone convinces him to be a good company guy and just ride off into the sunset. Athletes have a lot of pride though. Who knows?

Will there be a slew of guys getting waived but still being paid good money by their old teams looking to sign in NY on the low-cash tip? I don't know. That could be good. The new CBA makes for some exciting ideas regarding the Knicks future.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/22/2005  12:55 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by eViL:

if allan is deemed unable to play this year, that $20 mil would come off the CAP in 06/07 - doesn't really help us any since we're still over. so, in essence, he would cost $19 (this year) + $19 (tax) = $38 this year and that's it. (but i think he would be cleared to play - at least he talks like he would).

if we waive him, then he would cost us $19 (this year) + $20 (next year) + 0 (tax) = $40 mil over two years.

if we waive penny, then we save $15 (tax) this year.
Don't you also get an injury trade exception (which is a nice trade asset) if Allan is unable to play? I thought we got (but dumb Layden didn't use it) one when McDyess got injured.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/22/2005  1:02 PM
HOw long until our NBDL team salary is higher than the Clippers?
fishmike
USA
6/22/2005  1:04 PM
forget an injury exception... we arent getting one for Houston. Houston has a reoccuring condition. The league will say "sorry.. you should have seen this coming"

The only time you get an injury exception if when a healthy guy suddenly goes down for the year. Even with McDyess it was hard to get.

We arent getting an injury exception, and the only way he can retire is after approval from a league doctor.

This is no different then LJ and his back. Injury exceptions are very hard to get.
purple012870
Member: #432
6/22/2005  1:11 PM
How do the luxury tax dollars get disbursed after teams like the Knicks pay these "fines"?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/22/2005  1:34 PM
I wonder how this minor league thing is gonna work out. It won't be so easy to buy late rd picks. I wonder if we could still jump on that #19 pick. Then send 3 promising rookies there right off the bat. 4 depending on what we do with our 2nd rd pick.

There will be a ton of high school players probably skipping college to play there for a season. Get paid, then try and make it in the NBA next yr.

I like the deal. I wish the length of contracts were cut down to 4 But I think its a good deal.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/22/2005  2:05 PM
Posted by Nalod:

HOw long until our NBDL team salary is higher than the Clippers?

haha - good question.

i think it's going to be alot tougher to just buy second round picks (which isn't all that easy to begin with) b/c you could just draft somebody, give them the minimum and stash him away, and now with the cap # increasing, many teams will use this strategy.

that's IF we want to get under the cap, and based on my dialogue with isiah, he has NO PLANS to do that. he even told me himself, after the q&a, in his exact words, "in this league, you'd rather be OVER the cap". so he WILL trade penny and tim and will not try to get anywhere near cap manageability. that's his strategy from what he's said to me.
breaking down the CBA (from the chad)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy