[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pau vs. each #8 candidate
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/21/2005  1:32 PM
What would you prefer: a trade scenario where we gave up pick #8 and got Pau Gasol or we just simply drafted each player below at #8. Given Memphis's financial problems and the huge $$$ increase for Pau this year, I think they'd give up Pau if we took back Jason Williams and gave them picks 8, 30, and $3 mil and they also sent us pick 19. But just to be more conservative let's say the Pau deal is Penny plus pick #8 plus $3 mil for J Will and Pau. This is a deal they financially probably can't afford to pass on and they won't get a better deal than a lottery pick, expiring contract, and getting rid of J Will's contract just to get Pau.

Even if you don't think these offers would be able to get us Pau, just participate for the sake of discussion!

So, the questions

Pau deal vs. Frye
Pau vs. Bynum
Pau vs. Green
Pau vs. Granger
Pau vs. Graham
Pau vs. Wright
Pau vs. Webster
Pau vs. Taft
Pau vs. Villanueva

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/21/2005 13:33:00]
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/21/2005  1:34 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

What would you prefer: a trade scenario where we gave up pick #8 and got Pau Gasol or we just simply drafted each player below at #8. Given Memphis's financial problems and the huge $$$ increase for Pau this year, I think they'd give up Pau if we took back Jason Williams and gave them picks 8, 30, and $3 mil and they also sent us pick 19. But just to be more conservative let's say the Pau deal is Penny plus pick #8 plus $3 mil for J Will and Pau. This is a deal they financially probably can't afford to pass on and they won't get a better deal than a lottery pick, expiring contract, and getting rid of J Will's contract just to get Pau.

Even if you don't think these offers would be able to get us Pau, just participate for the sake of discussion!

So, the questions

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/21/2005 13:33:00]

Pau deal vs. Frye? Pau
Pau vs. Bynum? Ummm...maybe Bynum
Pau vs. Green? Green
Pau vs. Granger? Granger
Pau vs. Graham? Pau
Pau vs. Wright? Pau
Pau vs. Webster? Webster
Pau vs. Taft? Pau
Pau vs. Villanueva? Pau

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/21/2005 13:35:30]
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/21/2005  1:42 PM
i definately like that. I would do it in a seocnd.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/21/2005  1:46 PM
Its funny that Bynum is better than a guy who is close to 20 and 10. Thats hilarious. He avgd 20 and 10 in high school, not in college and certainly not in the pros.

Pau over everyone except Granger.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/21/2005  1:49 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Its funny that Bynum is better than a guy who is close to 20 and 10. Thats hilarious. He avgd 20 and 10 in high school, not in college and certainly not in the pros.

Pau over everyone except Granger.
I was thinking that too. Man, no matter what team Bynum plays for he has a lot to live up to. I expect no less than 25 and 13.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/21/2005  1:54 PM
the problem I have with this deal is we further restrict our ability to make trades & sign free agents.

Pau is a good, near all star in the league.

Any of the players we pick at 8 might be an all star one day.

They might also be out of the league in a year.

For the most part, I'd rather take a chance with anyone that we could reasonably pick at 8.
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
6/21/2005  1:59 PM
The problem with Gasol is that he is not all that.

He does not have a goto move, nor is he especially good at any one thing on offense. He is an ok defender. He is an ok rebounder. He is an ok in almost anything.

Can he be given the ball in crunch time and be expected to score or draw the double team? No.

Therefore trading a lottery pick, and a late 1round/early 2nd round pick for him is not worse if when you are also takin on more money.

Ofcourse, if everybody is of the board, and the only decent pick left is somebody like Wright or Frye, meaning Webster, Green, Granger, all the PG's, Marivn and Bogut are gone, then you might want to start thinkin about the trade.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/21/2005  2:00 PM
Posted by franco12:

the problem I have with this deal is we further restrict our ability to make trades & sign free agents.

For the most part, I'd rather take a chance with anyone that we could reasonably pick at 8.
I don't know how you say what you said and then draw that conclusion. You know what Pau is and you don't know for certain what any of those guys will be and how long it will take.

We have a star PG who will be 28-29 next year and has about 4-5 all star caliber years left in him. We need some players that are good now, and can make us better now. If we get Pau and then some how get a decent center, we'd be well on our way to contention.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/21/2005  3:02 PM
TT, the 8, and sweets for Pau and the 14th.
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
6/21/2005  3:12 PM
Would be great if we could get #14 from Memphis, but since that belongs to Minnesota, I'd settle for #19. Either way, I like it.
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2005  3:16 PM
Posted by Nalod:

TT, the 8, and sweets for Pau and the 14th.
Yeah, they'd probably prefer a TT and Sweetney offer than a Penny offer. I'd do that offer if they included pick 19 (not 14) with Pau. I think the salaries don't match, though. If they included J Will or a different player, it could be worked out.
franco12
Member: #599
USA
6/21/2005  3:22 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by franco12:

I don't know how you say what you said and then draw that conclusion. You know what Pau is and you don't know for certain what any of those guys will be and how long it will take.

We have a star PG who will be 28-29 next year and has about 4-5 all star caliber years left in him. We need some players that are good now, and can make us better now. If we get Pau and then some how get a decent center, we'd be well on our way to contention.

Its just that 'win now' 'we're one piece away' 'the window is now' sentiment that has led, in my opinion, to some very bad moves that have not improved things.

I'd like us to go the the finals again, or at the least, get out of the first round and not get embarassed.

We're several players away and we need an all star.

Pau is a good player, no doubt.

But, we need a better player than Pau, hence, I'd rather roll the dice on picking up a college/HS/Euro who might be the next Amare/Manu/Wade. Of course, that player might suck or turn into Bruce Bowen or a really good role player.

But, we're not messing our cap further with the pick like we would with Pau & J Williams.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/21/2005  3:29 PM
you have to be kidding me, right now pau gasol is better than anyone on that list. that means RIGHT now, NOT long term but it would be difficult to pass on a trade like that! Basically would you rather have Frye or Gasol--you have to be kidding me.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2005  3:50 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

you have to be kidding me, right now pau gasol is better than anyone on that list. that means RIGHT now, NOT long term but it would be difficult to pass on a trade like that! Basically would you rather have Frye or Gasol--you have to be kidding me.
I know you don't like Frye @ 8 but what about the others? If your goal were to win a championship eventually, I assume you'd take Bynum of that deal involving Pau (or any other deal that could be made). Are there any other players on that list you'd take over the Pau deal. If not, I'd assume then that if Bynum isn't available at #8, you'd be in favor of the Pau deal.

I posted this mainly because I wanted to get an idea of how "anti-trade" people were with regard to the #8 pick. I personally would trade it for Pau instead of drafting most of these guys and then I'd try to get a pick in the middle of the 1st round so I could still add a nice young player from the draft. I might hesitate to do the Pau deal if I really liked Bynum, Granger, or Green, though.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/21/2005 15:53:04]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/21/2005  3:55 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

I know you don't like Frye @ 8 but what about the others? If your goal were to win a championship eventually, I assume you'd take Bynum of that deal involving Pau (or any other deal that could be made). Are there any other players on that list you'd take over the Pau deal. If not, I'd assume then that if Bynum isn't available at #8, you'd be in favor of the Pau deal.

I posted this mainly because I wanted to get an idea of how "anti-trade" people were with regard to the #8 pick. I personally would trade it for Pau instead of drafting most of these guys and then I'd try to get a pick in the middle of the 1st round so I could still add a nice young player from the draft. I might hesitate to do the Pau deal if I really liked Bynum, Granger, or Green, though.

there is no doubt in my mind I would take Bynum over Frye, or whoever else is at 8 , but its not going to happen. So would I want Frye or Gasol? Gasol, but thats not happening either! Memphis would not do it.
RIP Crushalot😞
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
6/21/2005  4:07 PM
I would take Pau over every player except Granger.

I am willing to give Pau a chance becuase he has never played with a standout player like a Marbury on his team. Pau is a 18to20ppg and 10 rebound guy every year and if you throw Marbury into the equation I think his ppg increases a few and so will his rebounds. I think Pau could definately start posting some 21-22ppg and 12rbg seasons if he were a Knick. Remember this guy is only 24 years old, he has not even come close to playin in his prime yet. I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement for him but I do see the benefits of him playing alongside Stephon increasing his ppg and rbg. Add him to the team and whoever the Knicks can pick at 19, maybe a Julius Hodge or Hakim Warrick and I think thats a pretty good trade for the Knicks. I just don't want to make the trade if Granger is on the board when the Knicks pick, I think he's to good to pass up.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/21/2005  4:25 PM
My concern about Pau is that he has plateaued. Will he do more than the 18 and 7-8 that he's gotten the last 2 years for the rest of his career? Is he a SF, PF, C for the long term? His offensive game hasn't advanced the way I thought it would, and I thought he was developing into a big time shotblocker, but that has leveled off as well. He is a damn good player though and you have to look into getting him.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/21/2005 16:26:35]
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
6/21/2005  4:28 PM
Posted by VDesai:

My concern about Pau is that he has plateaued. Will he do more than the 18 and 7-8 that he's gotten the last 2 years for the rest of his career? Is he a SF, PF, C for the long term? His offensive game hasn't advanced the way I thought it would, and I thought he was developing into a big time shotblocker, but that has leveled off as well. He is a damn good player though and you have to look into getting him.

I agree with you Des. He's not a cornerstone player, he's just a level below that, kind of like how you can't build a team around Marbury. I believe though that if you have 2 players like that, one at PG and the other at PF then you have something going. Pau and Marbury I think would make a pretty damn good combo and THAT would be something you could build around, not just one of them but the duo.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2005  4:47 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

there is no doubt in my mind I would take Bynum over Frye, or whoever else is at 8 , but its not going to happen. So would I want Frye or Gasol? Gasol, but thats not happening either! Memphis would not do it.
If this is all about Frye vs. Gasol and Bynum vs. Gasol to you, then I guess you've simply misunderstood the thread

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/21/2005 16:53:26]
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2005  4:52 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Well, he put up those #s in only about 32 mpg on a well-rounded 45 to 50 win team. But even if he has plateaud, the issue is whether that plateau is higher than your projected performance of whoever is available at #8 (and whether it's worth also giving up TT and sweetney, for example).
Pau vs. each #8 candidate

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy