[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Question for BRIGGS
Author Thread
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
6/21/2005  5:39 AM
I saw Bynum had 22-16-5 in high school. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen it on multiple sites.

http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profiles/AndrewBynum.html

Senior (2004-05): Averaged 22.0 points, 16.0 rebounds and 5.0 blocks.

If that's not dominating, it's certainly not far off.
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/21/2005  10:21 AM
Posted by Ira:

Regarding the Knicks drafting Frye, remember the team Isaiah played on. Their big men were Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer. It was a team that played tough d and was nasty. I once saw Isaih punching Mark Price in the chest as he drove by him to the hoop. I can't see this same individual drafting a finesse big man.

Why does everyone forget their 7'2'' center Budda head Edwards
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/21/2005  1:13 PM
Posted by Solace:

I saw Bynum had 22-16-5 in high school. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen it on multiple sites.

Against who a bunch of 10th graders who were probably more worry about where they were going to hang after the game. He is a tall and heavy kid playing against skinner guys. What was his competition like? To me that is more important than his upside. btw, Diop was described as being the most realistic potential of being like Shaq. I remember the bio descriptions, "he loves to bang on the inside."
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Solace
USA
6/21/2005  5:46 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Solace:

Against who a bunch of 10th graders who were probably more worry about where they were going to hang after the game. He is a tall and heavy kid playing against skinner guys. What was his competition like? To me that is more important than his upside. btw, Diop was described as being the most realistic potential of being like Shaq. I remember the bio descriptions, "he loves to bang on the inside."

All I was doing was correcting the stats, because some people were saying 17 and 13. Btw, I did a little checking and his stats were better than Eddy Curry's and comparable to Tyson Chandler's. Forget about Diop for a moment. You always take a risk by taking a high school player, but... the upside is huge. If he pans out, we're a contender in three years. Can you say that about Channing Frye? Sorry, no.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/21/2005  6:25 PM
Posted by Solace:

I saw that too, but according to a guy whom I wont mention, *cough cough something 3P0* he should be averaging 40 ppg.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/21/2005  6:27 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Solace:

this is not diop for goodness sakes, he has more skills in his pinky than Diop has now. If he was 7-2 275 and just a big body, I wouldnt give a sht. He's 7-2 275 with very long arms, great hands, quick feet, mobile, agile, tough, solid ballhandler, nice soft jump hook, athletic. I would be willing to use pick 8 on him and bring him along, but he is moving along rapidly. hes so big, I cant see where he couldnt help us right now. Is there some develoment time--YES--is he physcially the most imposing fgure in this draft, YES does he have nice skill sets to go along with them? yes

Is Bynum's brother an arsehole, YES did he piss off calhoun and others YES. But that doesnt take away that this kid is a top 3 talent in this draft. Im going to use for the last time the Josh Smith compariosn--remember when Jay Bilas said Josh was a bust material after going 17 and I ws sitting there laughing---Big Smooth will remember that I said Josh Smith was top 3 talent last year befor the draft--now look at him. We are SETTLINg for a NOW player. the only way Ill be happy with a Frye 8 pick, is if we do indeed get Bynum as well. I could care less about guards--we can get a nice back up guard later in this draft or FA. there are many of them out there.

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/21/2005  8:36 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by Solace:

I saw that too, but according to a guy whom I wont mention, *cough cough something 3P0* he should be averaging 40 ppg.
That's an understatement. To be worthy of the praise *a guy whom I won't mention* is giving him, he should be averaging 400 PPG!
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
6/21/2005  10:25 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Solace:

this is not diop for goodness sakes, he has more skills in his pinky than Diop has now. If he was 7-2 275 and just a big body, I wouldnt give a sht. He's 7-2 275 with very long arms, great hands, quick feet, mobile, agile, tough, solid ballhandler, nice soft jump hook, athletic. I would be willing to use pick 8 on him and bring him along, but he is moving along rapidly. hes so big, I cant see where he couldnt help us right now. Is there some develoment time--YES--is he physcially the most imposing fgure in this draft, YES does he have nice skill sets to go along with them? yes

Is Bynum's brother an arsehole, YES did he piss off calhoun and others YES. But that doesnt take away that this kid is a top 3 talent in this draft. Im going to use for the last time the Josh Smith compariosn--remember when Jay Bilas said Josh was a bust material after going 17 and I ws sitting there laughing---Big Smooth will remember that I said Josh Smith was top 3 talent last year befor the draft--now look at him. We are SETTLINg for a NOW player. the only way Ill be happy with a Frye 8 pick, is if we do indeed get Bynum as well. I could care less about guards--we can get a nice back up guard later in this draft or FA. there are many of them out there.

Briggs - You have a propensity to put huge potential stats next to college players names. I've noted what you've said about bogut now it's bynum. You've already predicted stats for both these guys that will make them top 50 all NBA guys - so I'll take that part with a grain (or shaker) of salt.

As far as Calhouns opinion of the guy - from what I've seen you seem to be exagerating what he's said about the guy. He said the guy could be a top five in a couple of years - you've got him as a top three talent now.

At 17 with no college experience and less HS success then other HS guys who have made it big - he may have potential - but it is a long way from being realized and it's very hard to develope guys this young in the NBA.

So let's say we ignore the huge numbers you state as his potential and just focus on what you think the chances are that this guy ever developes into a top five center in the NBA and when you think it will be?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/21/2005  10:29 PM
I honestly think Bynum could be an 18 & 10 Center 3-5yrs down the line and a key contributor to the frontcourt in the meantime. That warrants being the #8 pick in my book unless he goes #3 to Portland! Frye averaging 12 & 8 three years from now at best doesn't
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2005  10:39 PM
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Solace:

Briggs - You have a propensity to put huge potential stats next to college players names. I've noted what you've said about bogut now it's bynum. You've already predicted stats for both these guys that will make them top 50 all NBA guys - so I'll take that part with a grain (or shaker) of salt.

As far as Calhouns opinion of the guy - from what I've seen you seem to be exagerating what he's said about the guy. He said the guy could be a top five in a couple of years - you've got him as a top three talent now.

At 17 with no college experience and less HS success then other HS guys who have made it big - he may have potential - but it is a long way from being realized and it's very hard to develope guys this young in the NBA.

So let's say we ignore the huge numbers you state as his potential and just focus on what you think the chances are that this guy ever developes into a top five center in the NBA and when you think it will be?
Briggs gets enthusiastic and makes bold, exaggerated predictions. I'll give him credit for that. Sometimes they're dead wrong (like the claim that Miami was guaranteed to win the championship this year and next year) but sometimes he's right (e.g., he had the Raptors taking Arraujo at #8 last year when Arraujo probably shouldn't have gone top 18).

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/21/2005 22:47:39]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/21/2005  11:15 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Briggs gets enthusiastic and makes bold, exaggerated predictions. I'll give him credit for that. Sometimes they're dead wrong (like the claim that Miami was guaranteed to win the championship this year and next year) but sometimes he's right (e.g., he had the Raptors taking Arraujo at #8 last year when Arraujo probably shouldn't have gone top 18).

Bonn with the nice balanced post. must have put the robot to bed early tonight.
Bonn1997
USA
6/21/2005  11:48 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Bonn with the nice balanced post. must have put the robot to bed early tonight.
I'm in a charitable mood!
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/22/2005  12:03 AM
Posted by OldFan:

Saying Briggs exaaggerates about Bynum is like saying Crawford needs to improve his shot selection.

But just to support your argument about Bynum vs. other HS guys lets look at last years rookie Al jefferson. High school stats:

Bynum was not ever on track to put up numbers like this. I see Jefferson as a potential very good NBA player btw. I think the Celtics ae set for the future.

And HE went 15th in the draft last year! How is Bynum top 3 in this draft and hes scared to work out for teams?

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 06/22/2005 00:05:09]
Bonn1997
USA
6/22/2005  12:20 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by OldFan:

Saying Briggs exaaggerates about Bynum is like saying Crawford needs to improve his shot selection.

But just to support your argument about Bynum vs. other HS guys lets look at last years rookie Al jefferson. High school stats:

Bynum was not ever on track to put up numbers like this. I see Jefferson as a potential very good NBA player btw. I think the Celtics ae set for the future.

And HE went 15th in the draft last year! How is Bynum top 3 in this draft and hes scared to work out for teams?

that's why (allanfan) it's not unreasonable to say Bynum at 7'2" should be putting up 40 PPG against 6'5" high school centers. Just look at Al Jefferson's stats!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/22/2005  12:30 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by OldFan:

Denham Brown scored 111 points in a HS game and averaged 45. What the fudge to HS stats matter? Bynum was hurt his senior year and they had him play monitored minutes when he came back in the tough HS competition area of NJ. His team was 1-7 and when he came back ended 19-9 with bynum playing half a game and out of shape.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/22/2005  12:43 AM
C'mon guys. Much different competition in Mississipi than the NJ prep schools. Can't compare high school stats meaningfully.
Solace
USA
6/22/2005  5:33 AM
Completely different kinds of players. Al Jefferson dominated, yes. However, that all said it's a silly comparison of Al Jefferson to Bynum. Why? Well, whose to say that Bynum didn't have a teammate who could play as well and took the ball away? Or maybe Jefferson had a slick PG feeding him the ball every time. Who knows? The point is that regardless, Bynum's stats are impressive. The point is that they're in the same mold as a guy like Tyson Chandler, who went #2 in the NBA draft a few years ago and is going to be a stud. Who wouldn't take someone with Tyson Chandler talent at #8? Come on, let's be realistic.

Briggs also put up some good points as to why his stats may have been ONLY 22 ,16 and 5... regardless of that he's obviously having some killer workouts, because his stock is rising very quickly. And finally, if Bynum is ANYTHING, you can't pass him up because you know how difficult it is to get a man of his size and talent level. A 7'2" center is such an impact that by adding him to the roster, suddenly we're not undersized anymore!! Add Bynum and that talk about needing a shotblocker and an inside presence goes away. What more could you possibly want for a team that is at least three years away from contending?
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/22/2005  6:49 AM
Look here, let's resolve this issue by orchestrading a trade that will get us another early pick....However, I don't believe that this kid will be on the board once the Lakers select...
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2005  7:51 AM
Dujuan Wagner also scored a 100 in a game and was one of the most prolific scorers in HS ever. Hell... did Lebron score 40 a game, or was it his skills that made him so great
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
6/22/2005  8:07 AM
Posted by Solace:

Completely different kinds of players. Al Jefferson dominated, yes. However, that all said it's a silly comparison of Al Jefferson to Bynum. Why? Well, whose to say that Bynum didn't have a teammate who could play as well and took the ball away? Or maybe Jefferson had a slick PG feeding him the ball every time. Who knows? The point is that regardless, Bynum's stats are impressive. The point is that they're in the same mold as a guy like Tyson Chandler, who went #2 in the NBA draft a few years ago and is going to be a stud. Who wouldn't take someone with Tyson Chandler talent at #8? Come on, let's be realistic.

Briggs also put up some good points as to why his stats may have been ONLY 22 ,16 and 5... regardless of that he's obviously having some killer workouts, because his stock is rising very quickly. And finally, if Bynum is ANYTHING, you can't pass him up because you know how difficult it is to get a man of his size and talent level. A 7'2" center is such an impact that by adding him to the roster, suddenly we're not undersized anymore!! Add Bynum and that talk about needing a shotblocker and an inside presence goes away. What more could you possibly want for a team that is at least three years away from contending?
Didn't you recently compare his HS stats to Eddy Curry's? Now you're arguing against comparing HS stats?

Just to be clear: By no means am I against drafting Bynum; I just agree with most of the people here that he's been ridiculously hyped up.
Question for BRIGGS

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy