[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Draft Rumblings from the Chad (Bynum news OMG! BYNUM!!!)
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/20/2005  1:16 PM
Marvin plays Powerball in MilwaukeeBy Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

It's crunch time. Just eight days until the NBA draft and everything still is in utter commotion.

Picks two through seven are for sale. Workouts are going full steam. The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft is Tuesday.

Among the top players, it sounds like the following early-entry guys are staying in the draft: Jarrett Jack, Andrew Bynum, Yaroslav Korolev, Ersan Ilyasova, Roko Ukic, Johan Petro, Louis Williams, C.J. Miles, Dwayne Jones, Von Wafer, Carl Krauser, Anthony Roberson, Drago Pasalic and Deji Akindele.

Meanwhile, it sounds like these early-entry guys are withdrawing: Tiago Splitter, Nemanja Aleksandrov, Marko Tomas, Peja Samardziski, Dee Brown, Kevin Pittsnogle, Brandon Bowman, Torin Francis, James White, Olu Famitimi, Juan Jose Barea, Ivan Chiriaev, Paulius Jankunas, Miguel Marriaga, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Dusan Sakota.

Among those still on the fence: Ike Diogu, Randolph Morris, Martynas Andriuskevicius, Rudy Fernandez, Mile Ilic, Kosta Perovic, Marko Lekic, Marcin Gortat, Linas Kleiza, Eric Williams, Steven Smith, Brandon Rush and Amir Johnson.

Check back with Insider Tuesday for a full breakdown of who's in and who's out of the 2005 NBA draft. And on Wednesday, look for our latest mock draft.

Here's what's going on around the rest of the league:

Bucks work out Williams
Bucks GM Larry Harris continues to assert that he still hasn't decided whether the Bucks will select Andrew Bogut or Marvin Williams with the No. 1 pick.

While most in the league have assumed the Bucks will eventually choose Bogut over Williams, Harris gave his first real hint Sunday that Williams is truly in the running for the pick.

Williams worked out with the Bucks on Sunday, and Harris and head coach Terry Porter came away raving about his post skills.

"Early on, I see him more as a power forward and a guy who can play some three [small forward] as well," Harris told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel after the workout. "His post-up game is a lot further along than people have seen.

"Eventually, he's going to grow some more, so he's going to get bigger. He has the bulk to him to play the four, and it's going to be a very easy transition for him. He's definitely strong and solid in the post."

Those statements are significant because on lottery night, when the Bucks got the top pick, Harris told Insider that what his team really needs is a power forward. Joe Smith plays the bulk of Milwaukee's minutes at power forward, with mixed results. Desmond Mason plays small forward, and a combination of Dan Gadzuric and Zaza Pachulia plays center.

It's been assumed that Bogut is the pick because he's a big upgrade over Gadzuric and Pachulia in the middle, while Williams would duplicate a position played well by Mason. However, if the Bucks really believe that he'll be a power forward, Williams might have a much better chance at being the No. 1 pick than people are giving him.

Bogut is scheduled to work out for the Bucks today.

Lakers talking trade?
With Phil Jackson now running the show in Los Angeles, you can expect the Lakers to be pretty active over the next few weeks, retooling the team to Jackson's liking.

That's led to whispers that the Lakers are talking to the Blazers about a deal that would give them the No. 3 pick in the draft and Ruben Patterson for Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins and the No. 10. There's also talk that the Lakers have been trying to resurrect talks with the Jazz for Carlos Boozer.

If the Lakers do move up in the draft, who are they targeting?

For months GM Mitch Kupchak has been hot on the trail of high school phenom Gerald Green. Green worked out for the Lakers and Jackson on Thursday. The workout raised more than a few eyebrows because Green isn't expected to slip past the Raptors (who are also very high on him) at No. 7.

Meanwhile, Green and the Blazers continue to fight over his refusal to work out for the team in a group setting. Factor in that Portland just brought in another high school two-guard, Martell Webster, for a workout, and the dots are there, ready for someone to connect. Webster wouldn't be drafted as high as No. 3, but he would be draftable as the 10th overall pick.

However, don't hold your breath just yet, Laker fans. This is just one of a number of different trade scenarios the Blazers apparently are working on. The ideal trade is to convince the Bobcats to swap Nos. 5 and 13 for No. 3 – a deal that GM Bernie Bickerstaff admits is on the table but says he isn't interested in.

If the Lakers stay at No. 10, folks in the camp of high school big man Andrew Bynum are suggesting, pretty loudly, that the Lakers are leaning toward drafting him.

Magic focusing on May
In Insider's previous two mock drafts, we've had the Magic taking Webster with the 11th pick in the draft. Expect that to change when we release our third mock draft Wednesday.

Sources in Orlando told Insider this past weekend that if North Carolina power forward Sean May is on the board when the Magic draft, they're leaning strongly toward taking him. Why would the Magic draft May when they took Dwight Howard at the same position last year?

"I think they're such different players that you play them together on the front line," the Magic source told Insider. "Howard has the size, athleticism and defense and May has the bulk and skills scoring in the low post. [Tony] Battie and [[Kelvin] Cato are role players. I think those two guys would fit great together."

We'll see. This is the time of year when some NBA teams start to throw out misleading information to mess with other teams drafting below them. It could be a smokescreen to convince a team drafting a few picks behind the Magic to give up something in a trade to get May.

Vazquez working out on Sunday
Spanish stud Fran Vazquez is coming to New York on Friday and has scheduled a general NBA workout on Sunday and an NBA physical on Monday.

Vazquez is widely regarded as the top international player in the draft and a likely top-10 pick. His team recently was ousted from the playoffs, where Vazquez put up solid numbers of 12.1 ppg and 7.8 rpg.

Vazquez was scheduled to come over and do a handful of individual workouts with the Hornets, Jazz, Raptors and Bobcats; however, he's opted instead to do just one group workout. That news didn't please everyone. According to one team that was scheduled to work him out, the news isn't good.

"He was seriously in the mix," the GM told Insider. "I'm not sure that we'd still consider him without a private workout."

Marc Cornstein, Vazquez's agent, defends the decision. "He had a tremendous year in Spain," Cornstein told Insider. "Virtually every team in the league has scouted him extensively. I don't know how big of an issue it really is."

Draft Cards
• Croatian point guard Roko Ukic must have made quite an impression at the Reebok Eurocamp. After dominating in competition there, Ukic flew to the United States and worked out for the Raptors on Friday and the Celtics on Saturday. Raptors GM Rob Babcock and Celtics vice president Danny Ainge were both in Treviso at the camp and were impressed. They'll seriously consider him with the 16th and 18th picks, respectively.

• Slovenian big man Uros Slokar has surprised a number of teams with strong workouts. Sources with the Pistons, Clippers and Sonics all claim that he was impressive when they had him in.

"The report that we had on him from Europe was that he was a little on the soft side," one scout told Insider. "He actually looks much tougher than we expected. He could be an interesting second-round pick for someone."

Slokar has been a well-regarded prospect for years but never developed for Benetton. This year, with Andrea Bargnani taking his playing time, Slokar was loaned to a smaller team in Italy and began to put up impressive numbers.

• Arizona's Channing Frye refused to work out with the Charlotte Bobcats, fueling the fire that the Knicks have given him a promise at No. 8.

• There are a couple of great workouts scheduled on Monday to keep an eye on:

The Bobcats have Deron Williams, Rashad McCants, Raymond Felton, Julius Hodge and Monta Ellis coming in. Look for Williams to work out individually while the other four all go at it. Williams has been refusing to work out against anyone other than Chris Paul.

The Nets also have a sweet big man workout planned with Hakim Warrick, Charlie Villanueva and Wayne Simien all scheduled. Whoever performs well there could be the No. 15 selection in the draft.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
sbensol74
Member: #795
USA
6/20/2005  1:36 PM
We need to trade up for green or down for bynum.

Lets take a shot on a young guy already. I am so tired of these safe picks with limited upside.
clydesofly.com
Knick2001
Member: #83
6/20/2005  1:44 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to trade up for green or down for bynum.

If Bynum is promised #10 why trade down to draft him that makes no sense to me. The Knicks will trade up if they go anywhere in the draft to select a shooting guard or wing scorer.

[Edited by - knick2001 on 06/20/2005 13:51:33]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/20/2005  2:18 PM
Im of the opinion that frye will be the guy as its safe and we can perform well without waiting for him.

Bynum might have the upside, and it would be overpaying for him, but cold very well be worth it.

I would prefer we overpay and get what we want. IF we can move down and get him, all the better, but we mess this up by moving down and don't get our man, that kinda sucks!
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/20/2005  2:28 PM
I am more convinced than ever that the Knicks will take Frye. Which isn't a bad deal. Now they have to wheel and deal to get a center as I know Frye will not be a center in the league. everything about him says PF. All those outside jumpers they were showing in the highlights says PF. He has nice range on the jumper. Sweetney is gonna get traded for Brown and the NYK front line is going to be Ariza, Brown and Frye with Crawford and Marbury in the backcourt.
crzymdups
USA
6/20/2005  2:29 PM
Spanish stud Fran Vazquez is coming to New York on Friday and has scheduled a general NBA workout on Sunday and an NBA physical on Monday.

Vazquez is widely regarded as the top international player in the draft and a likely top-10 pick. His team recently was ousted from the playoffs, where Vazquez put up solid numbers of 12.1 ppg and 7.8 rpg.

Vazquez was scheduled to come over and do a handful of individual workouts with the Hornets, Jazz, Raptors and Bobcats; however, he's opted instead to do just one group workout. That news didn't please everyone. According to one team that was scheduled to work him out, the news isn't good.

"He was seriously in the mix," the GM told Insider. "I'm not sure that we'd still consider him without a private workout."

Marc Cornstein, Vazquez's agent, defends the decision. "He had a tremendous year in Spain," Cornstein told Insider. "Virtually every team in the league has scouted him extensively. I don't know how big of an issue it really is."

to me, the interesting part of the article is right here. Vasquez has cancelled private workouts for everyone BUT the Knicks. Remember all Zeke's scouting trips to Spain? Maybe this Frye stuff is all just speculation. To me, it looks like Vasquez is working out ONLY for the Knicks and blowing off everyone else...
¿ △ ?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  2:31 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

to me, the interesting part of the article is right here. Vasquez has cancelled private workouts for everyone BUT the Knicks. Remember all Zeke's scouting trips to Spain? Maybe this Frye stuff is all just speculation. To me, it looks like Vasquez is working out ONLY for the Knicks and blowing off everyone else...

It says that he's doing one group work out in NY- I don't see anything about a private workout for NY
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
6/20/2005  2:33 PM
It doesn't say that it just say he is holding workouts for everyone in NY.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  2:33 PM
I just want a guy that has a CHANCE at becoming a star. Ganger, Warrick, Graham, Bynum, Green, Webster, Wright... all these guys have something that you can point to and say "this guy could be an all-star"
I dont see anything Frye has that lets me say that. Good player...yes, but anything more than a good role player? Seeing is believing and what did he show in CBB to make anything think that? God I hope I am wrong... I really do. I'm pretty sure he's going to get pushed around and awfull lot earyl on prompting Herb, Lambier or whoever else to give KT or JYD any of Frye's minutes.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
6/20/2005  2:34 PM
outside shooting center can get any shot off, and pulls the bigg form the basket. A good passing center can feed PF down low, or anyone cutting.

Don't cancel frye a PF cuz he can shoot, its a good thing! If he can put it on the floor, he can go past anyone coming to get him!
franco12
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  2:40 PM
Posted by Nalod:

outside shooting center can get any shot off, and pulls the bigg form the basket. A good passing center can feed PF down low, or anyone cutting.

Don't cancel frye a PF cuz he can shoot, its a good thing! If he can put it on the floor, he can go past anyone coming to get him!

we are just so screwed- on the one hand, we need a major all star- so, you've got to try to gamble- and the other hand, we are so bad that we can't mess up with this pick.
crzymdups
USA
6/20/2005  2:46 PM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by crzymdups:

It says that he's doing one group work out in NY- I don't see anything about a private workout for NY

huh, you're right, I read "he's coming to New York on Friday" to mean he's coming in for the Knicks. My bad. Hmm, it's looking like it really may be Frye then...
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  2:54 PM
I would rather have Fran than Frye. FV plays a nastier game against tougher competition and they are the same age. I wouldnt be thrilled about either but given the choice I'm going with Fran
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
6/20/2005  3:22 PM
Isiah should be fired if he drafts Frye, I hate the kids game and don't think he makes a strong transition....

I say we just take Brynum, or one of the swing players otherwise this draft is a waste
Nalod
USA
6/20/2005  3:38 PM
Carole CHANNING?

Stockard CHANNING?

Post the pics someone!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/20/2005  4:38 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Carole CHANNING?

Stockard CHANNING?

Post the pics someone!

Are you serious Nalod? It's crunch time....these faces should be as familiar as family members by now!!

<<<<<last year on Hinrich...
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
USA
6/20/2005  5:00 PM
I was asking to post picks of the actresses!

Carole Channing was a hoot! A grand dame of broadway and hollywood: "Diamonds are a girls best frieind"

Stockard channing was in Greese!

OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
6/20/2005  5:05 PM
If he bulks up I think he wont be too bad - but I have a sneaky suspicion that Zeke isnt taking this kid. Its all about smoke and mirrors my friends. This is too obvious and too public - unless thats the way Zeke likes it, but he hasnt done that in the past in NY so why start now?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/20/2005  5:07 PM
Any comparisons of Frye to... Tony Battie, a serviceable, but not all-that-impressive sometimes starter in the NBA?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Nalod
USA
6/20/2005  10:54 PM
http://bronze.ucok.edu/broadway/Carol%20Channing.jpg

Carrol Channing!
Draft Rumblings from the Chad (Bynum news OMG! BYNUM!!!)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy