Bynum to remain in draft Pulls out of workouts with
Author Thread
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  10:34 AM
Posted by Knick2001:

You could also view this differently. He cancels the Knicks and Toronto workouts so as to keep them guessing. In a private workout a team like the Knicks could have him matched up with whatever players they like which could lessen how well Bynum performs in his workout.

He worked out for Portland and when Green said he wouldn't go against another player, they told him not to bother showing up.

I honestly don't think that Bynum is looking to keep anybody guessing.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/20/2005  10:35 AM
Posted by Knick2001:

I know Eric Williams is listed at 280 lbs but I've seen his height listed at 6'8" and 6'9", the point is it's just guess as to who the Knicks would have matched him against. Frankly, I'd have loved to see Frye and Bynum go head to head.
i dont know, but i cant think of one amateur player physically stronger with skills and athletsicm than E williams. i dont care what he bench this that or the other thing, eric williams is phsically a bull. Mike Sweetney bench pressed 185 3 times, but on the court Mike Sweetney bumps everyone out of his way.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/20/2005  10:42 AM
Bottom line: Bynum has a promise from somebody. He cancelled his Knicks workout, so it's either someone picking above us, or a team he really wants to play for (Lakers?).

This is yet another reason why the Knicks should have tanked at the end of the season, our pick would be better and we'd have more options.
¿ △ ?
franco12
USA
6/20/2005  10:52 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

Bottom line: Bynum has a promise from somebody. He cancelled his Knicks workout, so it's either someone picking above us, or a team he really wants to play for (Lakers?).

This is yet another reason why the Knicks should have tanked at the end of the season, our pick would be better and we'd have more options.

the difference in first year money from pick 10 to 7 is $378,900. Going to LA over Toronto makes some sense as per endorsements, but NYC is just as large or larger a market. I think its picks 3-6 that he has eyed up.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/20/2005  10:54 AM
we don't know if bynum will ever be a star, but for once, i would like to see us pull off something like this. seriously, for a team that's been DESPERATELY looking for a center since 2000, why have we not given this guy a private workout yet? let's say we did our due dilligence and we decided to pass, then you can't be upset with isiah b/c he did his job. but not even giving this kid a private workout already, with his physical tools, is just frustrating. we give frye 4 days in arizona but one day with a kid bigger than him was too trivial to do right away and had to be put off.

if we draft him, i will call isiah a genius till the cows come home - not based on bynum's performance, but based on how he went about drafting him (by fooling us all - and i hope that this is what is happening)

but if we DON'T draft him, i will be VERY dissapointed, ESPECIALLY if it's after our pick since we didn't give this guy enough consideration.

if it is the lakers - WOW!!! they're in a little bit better situation than us and they're making a commitment to a high school big man - that's impressive and requires forethought and vision for the future.

oh well, time will tell...
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/20/2005  10:55 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by s3231:

I think its pretty clear now, the Lakers are taking Bynum. They probably worked him out and fell in love with him so they told him not to work out for any other teams and they guaranteed him pick 10.

This sucks, I will be pissed if I have to watch the Lakers win another championship in a couple of years

I have a feeling that Portland is the team, and I think it may be a trade down with Charlotte where someone else goes and Bynum goes 5-10-13, but I think its 5.

To bad Isiah spazed out and offered Frye so early in the game.
hilarious assumptions!
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/20/2005  10:56 AM
It looks like Andrew's brother is playing 1 mean game of Texas Holdem. I have a feeling he is bluffing and trying to get Toronto and NY to bite and take Andrew in the lottery. Smart move.
djsunyc
6/20/2005  11:09 AM
LOOPHOLE ALERT!!! LOOPHOLE ALERT!!!

what if the penny/tim + #8 for boozer + #6 deal is really going to happen and we promised him #6...

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  11:11 AM
what.. and build a frontcourt with 2 big bruising players? What sense does that make. This is the NEW Knicks... your living in the past. We want skilled and exciting players. Also we are only drafting a guy that has a 33 inch waist or smaller.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/20/2005  11:12 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Knick2001:

I know Eric Williams is listed at 280 lbs but I've seen his height listed at 6'8" and 6'9", the point is it's just guess as to who the Knicks would have matched him against. Frankly, I'd have loved to see Frye and Bynum go head to head.
i dont know, but i cant think of one amateur player physically stronger with skills and athletsicm than E williams. i dont care what he bench this that or the other thing, eric williams is phsically a bull. Mike Sweetney bench pressed 185 3 times, but on the court Mike Sweetney bumps everyone out of his way.
If Eric Williams is so damn strong and powerful with so many skills he'd be coming out this year. Gimme a break, Bynum has portential but you don't have to keep trying to stack the deck in his favor.

first you say he kills Petro in workouts and now he is outplaying a college player who is so incredible that he isn't coming out; you are really exxagerating. Hes not even a projected lottery player next year. I'm not trying to trash him I think hes a decent player, but I think you're really overdoing it. Hes 6-9 300 pounds and slow. Bynum should be able to have his way with him no matter what the difference in strength is, his height and quickness should trump that.
djsunyc
6/20/2005  11:21 AM
Posted by fishmike:

what.. and build a frontcourt with 2 big bruising players? What sense does that make. This is the NEW Knicks... your living in the past. We want skilled and exciting players. Also we are only drafting a guy that has a 33 inch waist or smaller.

ha

isiah did say at the q&a that he wants to build a "power" team. but didn't realize that by bringing in mo taylor, he meant "girl power".
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/20/2005  11:22 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

what if the penny/tim + #8 for boozer + #6 deal is really going to happen and we promised him #6...

Very interesting......Almost makes me want to do it, but I still don't know about Bynum. I still have questions about him and I still wish we would be able to acquire Joey Graham too.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/20/2005  11:29 AM
Well, I am dissapointed he cancelled his workout with us, however, maybe DJ is right and that Boozer trade is really going to happen and maybe it was UTAH who promised him a spot at #6. If that's the case, then this move by Isiah is absolutely brilliant. But I have a feeling, that at the end of the day, Bynum is either selected by the Lakers or maybe Portland, unless Portland suddenly fell in love with Pyzebylla.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/20/2005  11:30 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

I'd love to see that happen. Do teams make promises to players with picks they don't yet have, though, as in pick #6 in our case? Isiah would do this deal to trade up in the draft only if he thought pick #6 or 7 would be used on Bynum or another player he wants. Otherwise, it makes more sense to trade TT for Boozer and ask for one of their three other draft picks.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/20/2005  11:36 AM
Get rid of TT, have Sweetney come off the bench, Ariza starts, maybe Jamal bulks up a little, Marbury gets healthy:

PG- Marbury/ Maybe Nate Rob???
SG- Crawford/ Houston hopefully
SF- Ariza/ JYD
PF- Boozer/ Sweetney/ Mo T
C- Thomas/ Bynum/ Butler

That is suddenly a significant upgrade and we are also starting to build for the future. Notice I said STARTING. That backcourt has serious issues IMHO.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
franco12
USA
6/20/2005  11:47 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

I'd love to see that happen. Do teams make promises to players with picks they don't yet have, though, as in pick #6 in our case? Isiah would do this deal to trade up in the draft only if he thought pick #6 or 7 would be used on Bynum or another player he wants. Otherwise, it makes more sense to trade TT for Boozer and ask for one of their three other draft picks.

If Isiah was going to trade up for 6, I would think he'd want to first hand see whether this 17 year old kid is worth it or not.

Also, sounds like 6 doesn't get Bynum because its not Toronto that gave him a guarantee as he cancelled on them too.
Knick2001
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #83
6/20/2005  11:53 AM
If it turns out Bynum jumps into the picks ahead of the Knicks that makes it more possible a player like Granger or Green slips to the #8 which I'd be happy with.
franco12
USA
6/20/2005  11:57 AM
Posted by Knick2001:

If it turns out Bynum jumps into the picks ahead of the Knicks that makes it more possible a player like Granger or Green slips to the #8 which I'd be happy with.

Plus- its not like we can say we passed on drafting the next shaq if he goes 3.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/20/2005  12:03 PM
Posted by Knick2001:

ill tell you this right now and I believe it, we would pass on Gerald green Danny Granger or anyone else purported to go pick 8 for Frye. the Knicks are taking Frye. thats it. the only way we are NOT taking frye is if someone above us did.
RIP Crushalot😞
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/20/2005  12:04 PM
People the Lakers gave him the guarantee. And he wants to be a Laker and that is the best situation for him he will be winning championships by the time he is 20.
Bynum to remain in draft Pulls out of workouts with

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy