Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/20/2005  3:13 AM
#7 Toronto
#8 NY Knicks

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2090206

well, im going to read this one way, either he did pull off getting a top 6 pick, or he got a deal somewhere in the top 10.

Ill said it once and Ill say it again, this kid is 7-2 280 athletic agile skilled and still growing. The perception that he would be a project next year is highly over-rated because Uconn believed he would be an impact player and slotted him into the starting C position next to Boone. If we consider Uconn has the talent of a REAL pro team i.e Gay, Boone, Williams all 06 lottery picks, you have Jim Calhoun telling you he is a better prospect than Okafor, that he will be a high lottery pick when he comes out, that he had the work ethic at 17 years old to lose weight, that he had excellent grades and SAT scores, we wont take him, maybe he goes before us maybe slightly after, but I will say this, we will REGRET taking Frye over him, The NY Knicks are all about NOW and even 1 year of patience would not be good enough. the perception that Bynum would be a 3 year project is a fallasy. The reality is in workouts he beat up on Johan Petro, he at times dominated 6-8 290 pound Eric Williams who they hooked him up with specifically to toughen him up. We wont get him, a true powerhouse type C that comes along every once in awhile. even if the cat busted--and he wont, believe me, it would have been a BETTER pick than Frye on any balance. To bad.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2090206
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Masterplan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #362
6/20/2005  3:49 AM
Ill said it once and Ill say it again, this kid is 7-2 280 athletic agile skilled and still growing.

apparently he's even grown another inch since last time you cited his measurements. come on, man, you can't just add an inch to what you've been saying to sell us on a kid.

aside from that, i'm a bit surprised at the confidence that he'll go in the lottery, especially without any more workouts. so far, the consensus in most mocks has seemed to be that he'll be taken closer to our 30 than 8. if people besides his brother think he's going lottery, as in, scouts or officials around the league, then i would be much more interested in taking him at 8, it wouldn't be such a reach as it would seem as of now.
BRIGGS
6/20/2005  4:25 AM
Posted by Masterplan:
Ill said it once and Ill say it again, this kid is 7-2 280 athletic agile skilled and still growing.

apparently he's even grown another inch since last time you cited his measurements. come on, man, you can't just add an inch to what you've been saying to sell us on a kid.

aside from that, i'm a bit surprised at the confidence that he'll go in the lottery, especially without any more workouts. so far, the consensus in most mocks has seemed to be that he'll be taken closer to our 30 than 8. if people besides his brother think he's going lottery, as in, scouts or officials around the league, then i would be much more interested in taking him at 8, it wouldn't be such a reach as it would seem as of now.

Measured out at 7 feet 1 1/8th 282 in bare feet, doctors said he is also still growing. standing reach last year at nike jam fest 9-3 last summer, standing reach now 9-8 1/2
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  7:26 AM
that really sucks, because now we dont even get a look at him. I'm sure Isiah has seen him, just like 8 other teams saw Amare but he's off the menu I would assume.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knick2001
Member: #83
6/20/2005  9:03 AM
The reality is in workouts he beat up on Johan Petro

Which workout was that, the June 4th league-wide one or a different workout?
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/20/2005  9:23 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

The reality is in workouts he beat up on Johan Petro

Thats not what i read at all. I read he had a slight edge over Johan Petro. Also, as good a college team as UCONN is, it is not the NBA, the fact that he could be an impact player in college does not mean hes an impact player in the league.

You are really exxagerating right now. But I think your point has been made, and I wouldn't feel bad at all about taking Bynum. Overall I think we should take a swingman, but I will give Isiah's pick a chance because you just have to trust his track record.

My best friend is an AAU and college fanatic who has seen all of the top high school prospects play and said he thinks Bynum could be something as well. He said he has some decent footwork in the post and thinks he could be special.

s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/20/2005  9:25 AM
I think its pretty clear now, the Lakers are taking Bynum. They probably worked him out and fell in love with him so they told him not to work out for any other teams and they guaranteed him pick 10.

This sucks, I will be pissed if I have to watch the Lakers win another championship in a couple of years
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  9:30 AM
think about that.. with Kobe and Odom they have great options. Grant comes off in 2 years, irght around the time Bynum will start to take off. They could really build a core, have a dominant bigman and cap space for a max FA in a couple years.

The only thing that doesnt gell with that plan is paying a coach $10mm a year in a rebuilding situation.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  9:49 AM
Posted by s3231:

I think its pretty clear now, the Lakers are taking Bynum. They probably worked him out and fell in love with him so they told him not to work out for any other teams and they guaranteed him pick 10.

This sucks, I will be pissed if I have to watch the Lakers win another championship in a couple of years

Why would Bynum not work out for the Knicks or Toronto? 7 or 8 is worth a lot more than 10 moneywise.

There are three possible scenarios-

someone above us has told Bynum they will take him

we told Bynum we would pick him 8

The family is bluffing and its a smoke screen meant to make teams pick him higher than they otherwise would.

Portland is the only team above us that worked him out- and they are clearly in a full scale rebuilding mode- with Telfair taken last year- that could be a young core group.

But, I don't see why they would pass on the teams picking 7 & 8 with only an assurance from 10 (Lakers)
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/20/2005  9:52 AM
What about this scenario......Portland trades down with Charlotte...and gets the 5 and the 13, Char moves up to 3 and picks Paul or Deron WIlliams who they want. At 5 Portland picks Bynum, meaning that at least 1 top 5 player gets moved down or falls...it may get interesting at this point on the 28th.
~You can't run from who you are.~
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  9:56 AM
Posted by joec32033:

What about this scenario......Portland trades down with Charlotte...and gets the 5 and the 13, Char moves up to 3 and picks Paul or Deron WIlliams who they want. At 5 Portland picks Bynum, meaning that at least 1 top 5 player gets moved down or falls...it may get interesting at this point on the 28th.

Why doesn't Charlotte stay right where they are and get one of those players anyway?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/20/2005  9:56 AM
Posted by joec32033:

that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Portland liked Green a lot, but hey, if you are going to nab a HS guy, why not tab the big guy? Antoine Wright may slip to 13 for them at this rate...
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
6/20/2005  10:03 AM
Posted by s3231:

I have a feeling that Portland is the team, and I think it may be a trade down with Charlotte where someone else goes and Bynum goes 5-10-13, but I think its 5.

To bad Isiah spazed out and offered Frye so early in the game. I wouldve liked to see the 2 go head to head and see how the 6-10 1/2 243 pound Frye was going to stop the 7-2 282 pound MORE ATHELETIC Bynum.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
USA
6/20/2005  10:05 AM
BRIGGS, if a player gets selected not just one, but FOUR slots ahead of us in the lotto, what the heck are the Knicks supposed to do? You can't act like this is Isiah's fault, he had the kid scheduled to come in and some team offering a higher pick and more money got to him first.
¿ △ ?
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/20/2005  10:06 AM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by joec32033:

Why doesn't Charlotte stay right where they are and get one of those players anyway?

Because between Paul and Deron, or maybe Charlotte like Green and one of the points drop, New Orleans will pick a point you can almost take that to the bank. Maybe both N.O. and Charlotte are high on the same guy, you know how the draft works.....who knows it is a very valid scenario though.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Knick2001
6/20/2005  10:12 AM
You could also view this differently. He cancels the Knicks and Toronto workouts so as to keep them guessing. In a private workout a team like the Knicks could have him matched up with whatever players they like which could lessen how well Bynum performs in his workout.
crzymdups
USA
6/20/2005  10:18 AM
Posted by Knick2001:

You could also view this differently. He cancels the Knicks and Toronto workouts so as to keep them guessing. In a private workout a team like the Knicks could have him matched up with whatever players they like which could lessen how well Bynum performs in his workout.

Actually, yeah, the Knicks usually work out guys in groups. Bynum may have cancelled because he was demanding a solo workout and the Knicks wouldn't oblige.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
6/20/2005  10:19 AM
Posted by Knick2001:

Well, I know Eric Williams is probably one of the most athletic powerful players in amateur basketball. And while Bynum didnt hire an agent, his family worked through one, setting Eric and Andrew up together for workouts that ran for a month. That means Andrew was facing eric 1-1 4-5 days a week for a month. If Andrew held his own a nd then some against eric, who exactly would be intimdating?
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
6/20/2005  10:23 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Knick2001:

Actually, yeah, the Knicks usually work out guys in groups. Bynum may have cancelled because he was demanding a solo workout and the Knicks wouldn't oblige.

That is completely false. Bynum had a public non-contact workout open to the NBA that was desinged to show his strengths in order to get him private workouts. The Bynum camp specified he would workout under any NBA condition--thats why he ended up playing against Petro in LA.
RIP Crushalot😞
Knick2001
6/20/2005  10:25 AM
I know Eric Williams is listed at 280 lbs but I've seen his height listed at 6'8" and 6'9", the point is it's just guess as to who the Knicks would have matched him against. Frankly, I'd have loved to see Frye and Bynum go head to head.
Bynum to remain in draft Pulls out of workouts with

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy