[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Crawford's Role Model
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/20/2005  12:54 AM
After watching these Finals, there is no doubt in my mind Jamal Crawford should be watching these games and emulating Manu Ginobili. They are both tall and skinny, with above average handles for a 2-guard.

Ginobili knows when to pass, and if Crawford could master the drive and dish, he could be as good or better than Ginobili. Manu has been on fire throughout the playoffs because of that one move. He takes his man to the left or right, and if the defense collapses he makes the tough pass, and if the defense doesn't, he finishes at the hoop. There is no reason for Crawford to not be as aggresive as Ginobili.

Crawford wastes too much time out on the 3-point arc, lulling his defender to sleep with the dribble and settling for low percentage shots.

He needs to heed the advice of Clyde Frazier, start swishing and dishing. Drive to the hoop, pass, or take it yourself. No more off-balance 20-footers.

And, of course, this accentuates the Knicks need for a shooter. If Houston isn't healthy, draft Salim Stoudamire or Luther Head and get some people who can knock down open shots. I'm sick of seeing the Gimp (Penny) coming up lame and clanking front iron.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/20/2005  1:02 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Crawford wastes too much time out on the 3-point arc, lulling his defender to sleep with the dribble and settling for low percentage shots.

Bingo! And since he thinks he can make them all, even if he has missed them all, he just waits for the next, even if it is one of those horrible shots. He needs to work A LOT on his shot, and realise that without good judgement on when to shoot and when to pass, he won't become the star some say he can be. Thats why I ask, can NY really develope a player or are they just so focused on winning now that they don't even try? They need to work on those aspects of Crawford sooo much!
Knicks_Fan
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/20/2005  1:11 AM
Posted by Knicksfan:
Posted by BigSm00th:

Bingo! And since he thinks he can make them all, even if he has missed them all, he just waits for the next, even if it is one of those horrible shots. He needs to work A LOT on his shot, and realise that without good judgement on when to shoot and when to pass, he won't become the star some say he can be. Thats why I ask, can NY really develope a player or are they just so focused on winning now that they don't even try? They need to work on those aspects of Crawford sooo much!
I really think he should focus more on Rip hamiltons game. Either way he needs to develop that mid range game and get it down to a science. When he penetrates to about 10-12 feet on the wing, or in the lane, good things happen. He makes the defense react and either he is open or someone else is open. I think regardless if which exactplayer he copies, he needs to develope a mid range game where he blows by his man and pulls up somewhere between 12-7 feet.
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
6/20/2005  3:15 AM
One issue for him is strength. He said, at the end of the season, that he was going to work out so that he could be strong enough to drive to the hoop more.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/20/2005  9:13 AM
He is very much like Manu......Manu attacks and gets his teamates the ball when he can't score.

The difference is Manu does it without thinking. Craw has tons of individual moves and he is very tricky with that ball. Craw simply has to figure out when he should be doing what......less thinking and more playing....Craw has to attack more instead of letting the defense off the hook.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/20/2005  9:25 AM
Manu drive to the hole with reckless abandon. Crawfor rarely takes it all the way to the hole.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  9:31 AM
what does Crawford attack? The 3 point line?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree

6/20/2005  9:36 AM
Posted by fishmike:

what does Crawford attack? The 3 point line?

Exactly.....that's why he should learn to attack and dictate the offense instead of letting the defense off the hook.

That's the biggest knock on Craw. He takes bad shots and doesn't attack....not just the basket but the defense in general. He just has to attack....like Ray, Rip and Manu.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  9:54 AM
how is it that Craw can drive to the hoop and throw the ball off the backboard for slams twice this year and he can't drive and make equally fancy, skillful passes?

If I am the coach of the knicks and running practices, I'm telling Crawford sometimes at the beginning that he can't shoot.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/20/2005  10:24 AM
Manu is a physical player. Crawful is anything but.

I see no similarities. Manu is 6-7 and a banger. Craw is super quick and does not (to his advantage mind you)seek contact!

If anything, Manu and marbs are similar slashers. Manu is a superier defender, but can't create like Marbs or Craw.

CRaw vs Rip is not that close either. Rip defends, and he moves very well without the ball. Rip also plays inside much more. Craw aviods it like the plague!
fishmike
USA
6/20/2005  10:26 AM
Crawford looks good in motion. He's got a nice pull up jumper and great crossover, yet we have him taking 50% of his shots standing still from 25 feet away with the shot clock expiring while Marbury dribbles the clock down to 5 and waits for the double team to come.
EnySpree

6/20/2005  11:01 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Crawford looks good in motion. He's got a nice pull up jumper and great crossover, yet we have him taking 50% of his shots standing still from 25 feet away with the shot clock expiring while Marbury dribbles the clock down to 5 and waits for the double team to come.

That does happen alot, lol.

Craw still has this move where he sets you up, usually on an angle to the basket at 20ft, with this dribble combo then justs lets it fly. He'll do that like 3 times straight......he misses that shot more than anything.

He also likes to dribble to the baseline about 15ft out and throw up a shot from behind his head. That also is a klanker more times than none.

Craw has always been more effective playing point but he forgets to try and score when he does that. Craw has to find it in his game to do both. His jumpshot will come but he has to work his magic and create stuff off the dribble and get to the basket.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/20/2005  12:01 PM
Posted by fishmike:

They're just running the play coach gave em!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/20/2005  12:24 PM
Rip fights thru screens to get open looks.

Craw stands there waiting until Marbs has exhausted himself and kicks it out with 5 seconds left.

Whats next, TT vs. The popcorn guy at the Palace?

Crawfuls role model should be a crash test dummy!

Manu, Rip, Dummy, all have one thing in common, they sacrifice their body to get the job don.

My favorite is when Craw is nervous and starts blowing on his hands like some old grandma who can't get her hands warm!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/20/2005  12:32 PM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by fishmike:

They're just running the play coach gave em!

You're right, that's exactly what it is. Herb has played with Allan Houston, Latrell Sprewell and John Starks and sees how the real good guards work and do exactly what it takes to be successful, so he tells Crawford and Marbury to dribble the clock out and stand around and jack up shots, whether they are bad or good. That's exactly what it is.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/20/2005  12:57 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Manu is a physical player. Crawful is anything but.

I see no similarities. Manu is 6-7 and a banger. Craw is super quick and does not (to his advantage mind you)seek contact!

If anything, Manu and marbs are similar slashers. Manu is a superier defender, but can't create like Marbs or Craw.

CRaw vs Rip is not that close either. Rip defends, and he moves very well without the ball. Rip also plays inside much more. Craw aviods it like the plague!

that pretty much sums it up...Craw is a flash & style type player...his basketball IQ is not very high because he's still learning the game having played only 2 years of organized ball before he was drafted...there's really no way we can expect him to become like Manu or Rip anytime soon...both those guys were well seasoned & coached when they came into the NBA & had a good grasp of the fundamentals...Craw needs to learn those before he can try to emulate anyone, but there's also many things he can do that Manu & Rip could only dream of, like taking his man off the dribble w/that sick crossover & either draining a j in his face or throwing a lob off the backboard & dunking it with 2 hands...there's something to be said for flashy plays like that, because it gets the crowd into the games, which could help the rest of the team's psyche...but Craw needs to learn how to play some fundamental team D...after that, he'll be a 100% better basketball player.

if anything, the player he needs to emulate is Isiah, because he had similar 1 on 1 type skills & could still defend...that's a player i would DREAM Craw could become like someday...maybe Isiah could teach Craw a thing or 2 about becoming a player like Isiah?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/20/2005  1:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

that doesn't sound like the steph I know, the steph i know is probably one of the 5 best pentraters in the league that can actually finsh despite tons of contact.

I'm not sure I usually see steph holding the ball or dribbling for 19 seconds, that sounds like eisley.
ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/20/2005  1:50 PM
Posted by knicks1248:
Posted by fishmike:

that doesn't sound like the steph I know, the steph i know is probably one of the 5 best pentraters in the league that can actually finsh despite tons of contact.

I'm not sure I usually see steph holding the ball or dribbling for 19 seconds, that sounds like eisley.
correct 1248
fishmike
USA
6/20/2005  1:57 PM
it happens at the end of every quarter when Marbury holds for the last shot, gets doubled and chucks it Crawford.

Are you telling me Crawford doesnt chuck up a lot of 3's with the shot clock winding down? When is he taking them? I'm calling it like I see it.
fishmike
USA
6/20/2005  1:58 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
correct 1248
LOL
Crawford's Role Model

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy