[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We need a coach before the Draft!!!!
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/19/2005  12:41 PM
"I've met with Mike (Fratello) about three different times about what we want," West said. "We have to be focused here, and he has expressed to me his needs. All of us feel we're on the same page.

"We're going to address some things during the draft and particularly if there's a chance for us to do something through a trade."

This is why a coach is so important. I feel the GM has to get imput from the coach to see what he thinks he needs to sucseed. The coach has the system.....the GM should believe in the system too. Then the GM has to get the coach players that will fit in the system.

All the good coaches that won had good GM's that continued to bring in the right type of player to help them continue to win.

Isiah seems to want to build his team and make someone else coach them. He has definately got to get a general in there that sees the game the way he does. Everything would be so much easier.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/19/2005  12:50 PM
It can also be that Isiah has described the system he has in mind to Herb who agrees with it. Maybe Isiah has the system, Herb bought into the system and Isiah is trying to get players that will fit in that system. Herb is here to stay for a few.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
6/19/2005  1:02 PM
or maybe there's a reason he's had a couple of meetings w/laimbeer.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/19/2005  1:05 PM
Herb please if this guy is back you will see 82 systems for 82 games next year. In most of those games the KNicks will never impose thier will on the opponent because they won't have a system. I think Isiah is consulting Lambeer as to what he would like and its very likely that Lambeer and Isiah see more eye to eye then Herb and Isiah. I think the system that Isiah has in mind reflects the Detroit system of past and who better to have as coach than Lambeer.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/19/2005  1:27 PM
Or maybe we need to stop sucking and get out heads out of the ars of the coaching and when we start developing a plan, we can worry about the coaching.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/19/2005  1:54 PM
Really at this point a coach could not help that much with the draft not having seen the players the Knicks worked out in person.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/19/2005  3:00 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Really at this point a coach could not help that much with the draft not having seen the players the Knicks worked out in person.

That's what Isiah was suggesting a few days ago on the subject.

I think the whole Phil Jackson thing messed that up for the Knicks. We were at his mercy. Now he is in LA for sure and it's now Larry Brown time. This has got to be orders from the higher ups.

I would have named a coach at least a month ago. There are so many things going on in the summer, with the draft stuff and summer league stuff....free-agency stuff. Players wanna know who the coach is if they are thinking of signing with a club.

If there is a coaching change I hope it's sooner than later.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
6/19/2005  4:29 PM
So the reason not to get a coach before the draft is because we arleady messed up and not hired one before the workouts?

Once again, great jot IT.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
6/19/2005  4:48 PM
I totally agree we need to know who our coach is so we know how to handle the draft. For example, would we do a draft day deal involving Toronto's pick and Jalen Rose? Rose is a totally idiosyncratic player, and we need to know who the coach is before we can even think about the deal we're making. My ONLY beef with IT is that he either does not understand or does not know how to deal with the importance of coaching in the NBA. If we "stick with Herb" we're looking at a 30 win season period. IT doesn't seem to get that on some level.
Andrew
USA
6/19/2005  4:50 PM
I dont understand the obsession with getting a new coach before the draft. Does a new coach know the stregths and weaknesses of each player currently on the Knicks roster?

Its the GMs job to get the players that mesh well together....not the coach's job. Isiah should have an idea of how he would like the team to play, and he should find a coach that fits the current players more so than the new ones coming in.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Redsoxrule
Member: #897
6/19/2005  5:35 PM
At this level, it's the GM's job to assemble the team and it's the head coaches job to man the steering wheel on a day to day basis (with input from the GM). I don't see the need to rush into naming a head coach...especially with the liklihood of a lockout looming.
We will NEVER win with Marbury as our cameo guy.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/19/2005  6:07 PM
isiah already said he is in no rush to sign a coach and probably wont do so until after the draft.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
6/19/2005  6:12 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

I think the whole Phil Jackson thing messed that up for the Knicks. We were at his mercy. Now he is in LA for sure and it's now Larry Brown time. This has got to be orders from the higher ups.

Oh man, I hope Isiah didn't put anything on hold waiting for Phill! Did anyone really believe he would be coming here?
https:// It's not so hard.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/19/2005  6:48 PM
I am very disappointed with Isiah on this subject...Especially because he is an excoach...I know that he wants a chance at a guy like Brown or Nate, but as bad as our players have performed last season, we can't afford not to be proactive...

I want Laimbeer as our head-coach..
The true Knickabocker..........
MaulingandAppalling
6/19/2005  8:15 PM
The rush is simple to understand: different coaches have different systems, and different players fit differently into each system. Coaches and coaching styles are not interchangeable. It's naive to think that the GM assembles a team totally abstracted from any idea of the coaching system that will utilize the players.
Andrew
USA
6/19/2005  8:35 PM
Coaches and coaching styles are not interchangeable?

Riley coached the run and gun Lakers and also the maul you to death Knicks. There are 15 players on the team...the coach is going to have to adapt to the team...not the 1 draft pick that is going to see playing time.
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

The rush is simple to understand: different coaches have different systems, and different players fit differently into each system. Coaches and coaching styles are not interchangeable. It's naive to think that the GM assembles a team totally abstracted from any idea of the coaching system that will utilize the players.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/19/2005  8:55 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Coaches and coaching styles are not interchangeable?

Riley coached the run and gun Lakers and also the maul you to death Knicks. There are 15 players on the team...the coach is going to have to adapt to the team...not the 1 draft pick that is going to see playing time.

What an excellent point! Could you have made that point any better? NO!!

Same coach 2 totally different teams and playing styles, both played at a very high level. Case closed on that.

You don't need a coach to draft players, Isiah is good at drafting, probably better than whatever coach is coming here in the first place.
MaulingandAppalling
6/20/2005  1:27 AM
To not understand the relationship between coaching styles and roster you must not have noticed anything interesting about what's happened in Phoenix over the past 3 years.

But hey, if Pat Riley is your example of typical NBA coach.....
here's another example of a typical NBA coach:

Could Phil Jackson win with a team centered on an all-star point guard? Would he even bother trying?
We need a coach before the Draft!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy