[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

As lockout looms, team talking trades (Memphis)
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/19/2005  1:50 AM
Would you do Bonzi for Kurt straight up?

Basically they are talking about picking up Bonzi's option in a trade or doing a sign and trade with Bonzi, and perhaps for Stromile and watson. Its funny we coul actually use all 3 of those guys, although watson will want to go somewhere and start.
As lockout looms, team talking trades

By Ronald Tillery
Contact
May 26, 2005

The possibility of an NBA work stoppage has the Grizzlies locked and loaded.

Team president Jerry West revealed Wednesday that the threat of a lockout could speed up the process of pulling the trigger on potential trades. The Griz, like most teams uncertain of what the summer will hold, would look to wheel and deal during the draft and the days following.

NBA owners are expected to lock out players July 1 if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't signed by then. The CBA between the league and its players expires June 30.

West called recent talk about a lockout "rhetoric," and expressed his belief that no games would be missed in the fall. But a work stoppage following the draft could disrupt the summer -- meaning the ability to make trades, sign free agents and essentially conduct offseason business may stall at a time when teams typically remake rosters.

"I'll believe it when I see it," West said of a possible work stoppage. "The less said about it, the better. But we feel that it's important for us, if a trade is to be made, to get that done before a lockout."

The Grizzlies have already discussed potential deals with teams. West wouldn't offer specifics but it is believed that guard Bonzi Wells has been a prominent figure in those trade talks.

"We've been talking to some teams," West said. "The (draft) lottery will have an awful lot to do with what some of the other teams will do.

"Teams will look at their position. They may get a duplicate player and be willing to talk about something (in a trade)."

Wells's departure is a sure bet. That the Griz will pass on his $8 million contract option for the 2005-06 campaign apparently isn't. The Griz may be inclined to pick up the option as one of many strictly business decisions the team will make.

The Griz have until July 1 to honor Wells's contract option or allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Although Wells struggled with injuries and performance, and had a public falling out with head coach Mike Fratello the veteran still has value. There are at least three teams willing to trade for Wells at $8 million.

Otherwise, the Griz would seek a sign-and-trade deal involving Wells and a long-term contract.

"We're examining everything," West said. "Everyone assumes we're not going to (pick up the option) but that's not the case at this point and time. We're contemplating what we need to do to try to improve our team.

"He's one of my favorite people on this team. He didn't have the kind of year he wanted last year and I know he got frustrated. But that's part of what makes professional athletes professional athletes."

Forward Stromile Swift and guard Earl Watson are also unrestricted free agents. Their futures with the Grizzlies aren't as clear, according to West. A sign-and-trade with those players is as possible as their return.

West, though, is working the phones. He's identified a nucleus and is looking to build around those players, who include Pau Gasol and Mike Miller.

"I've met with Mike (Fratello) about three different times about what we want," West said. "We have to be focused here, and he has expressed to me his needs. All of us feel we're on the same page.

"We're going to address some things during the draft and particularly if there's a chance for us to do something through a trade."

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 06/19/2005 01:54:24]
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/19/2005  1:53 AM
KT for Bonzi in his last year? I'd do it, and it would give us a good wing who can play D andclear up cap space and the glut at the 4. A second rounder may be in order from them to us as well, Kurt is more valueable than Bonzi and Bonzi is 28. Either way i would do it.
MaulingandAppalling
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #884
6/19/2005  12:12 PM
We can get more for KT. I want a player and a decent pick for KT.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/19/2005  9:47 PM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

We can get more for KT. I want a player and a decent pick for KT.

I'm not sure we can get more for KT- Bonzi has one year left if they exercise the option- so, depending on what we draft, Bonzi comes in and adds depth to the back court for one year.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2005  7:19 AM
that article is like a month old. Bonzi will be a FA. The Grizz want his $$ off the books as they have some major cash flow issues. As for Bonzi for KT no thanks. KT is better and Bonzi is a retard.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
As lockout looms, team talking trades (Memphis)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy