Look at this! Info on Ming
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
5/3/2002  2:50 PM
From Newsday

Yao was scheduled to have a private workout for the Chicago Bulls yesterday, but instead, he underwent a detailed physical examination and performed some agility drills. According to Yao's associate, he weighed in at 295 pounds for the Knicks and was measured at 7-5 without shoes.

295? Last i heard he weighed less than 240. Is this crazy or what? He's no 295 i can tell you that, but then again i can't see him as low as 236 or whatever it was either. This is really messed up. Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
USA
5/4/2002  10:25 AM
From new york daily news-5/4

According to the NBA, Ming is officially listed at 7-5 and weighs 296 pounds. The Chinese center, who is expected to be the No. 1 pick in next month's draft, had his league-mandated physical on Thursday in Chicago. Ming was also measured with sneakers and the tale of the tape reads 7-6 1/4.

MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
5/4/2002  11:31 AM
It's possible that he's 295, but I can't see it myself. I'm thinking more along the lines of 260, 270. He has to weigh more than 240, I mean look how tall he is. He isn't that light.

BTW, congrats on reaching the 900 mark Knixkik! Not long to go til you make it 1,000...
We suck.
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
5/4/2002  7:09 PM
Knixkik, thats what I am trying to figure our too. I know on NBBAdraft.net they have him as 283 lbs, so maybe 296 is the right one. Even though he is skinny, all that height makes more weight so he maybe he is 296, but no way is he 236 because that would mean he weighs less than Camby.
I bleed orange and blue for life.
Knixkik
USA
5/4/2002  7:37 PM
Posted by KEEPCAMBYNY:

Knixkik, thats what I am trying to figure our too. I know on NBBAdraft.net they have him as 283 lbs, so maybe 296 is the right one. Even though he is skinny, all that height makes more weight so he maybe he is 296, but no way is he 236 because that would mean he weighs less than Camby.
The wind would blow him over if he was only 236. If he's 7-5 and 7-6 with shoes, he got to weigh more than that. Shawn Bradley weighs 265 and he's a stick compared to Ming.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/4/2002  7:45 PM
He probably weighs around 280, but due to his lack of muscle and huge frame, he'd still get knocked around by guys like 'Zo, Shaq, etc.
#Knickstaps
VG
Member: #68
Australia
5/4/2002  11:39 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

He probably weighs around 280, but due to his lack of muscle and huge frame, he'd still get knocked around by guys like 'Zo, Shaq, etc.

He could easily add another 10-20. He'd be over 300 then. I think the key for him is just to get stronger because he has such a high point of gravity that strength would help him more to bang inside.
MCfan23
USA
5/5/2002  6:59 AM
I don't think the weight is really a big problem. I'm sure he'll adjust to the NBA given time. Camby managed to add 15 pounds over the offseason last year, but I don't know where it all went. The good thing about Ming is that he has all the tools and great potential to be successful. You can't teach many 7-6 guys to shoot the way he apparently can and have such smooth skills. But it won't be too hard to beef him up a little and help him improve his inside game and give him more confidence in that area. Of course it will take a lot of extra hard work, but from what I hear and read about his abilities, I think he can turn out to be a real star in the NBA. Let's not compare him to guys like Shawn Bradley. Do you remember Bradley ever having as much hype about him as Yao does?
We suck.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
5/5/2002  9:33 PM
Posted by MCfan23:

I don't think the weight is really a big problem. I'm sure he'll adjust to the NBA given time. Camby managed to add 15 pounds over the offseason last year, but I don't know where it all went. The good thing about Ming is that he has all the tools and great potential to be successful. You can't teach many 7-6 guys to shoot the way he apparently can and have such smooth skills. But it won't be too hard to beef him up a little and help him improve his inside game and give him more confidence in that area. Of course it will take a lot of extra hard work, but from what I hear and read about his abilities, I think he can turn out to be a real star in the NBA. Let's not compare him to guys like Shawn Bradley. Do you remember Bradley ever having as much hype about him as Yao does?

Bradley was clearly overhyped when he was drafted. You have to remember the guy spent a couple of years in Australia as a missionary and he had not had any private workouts with any teams before the Draft. So lots of assumptions were made on Bradley and you also have to remember that Bradley, while being the same height as Ming was no-where near 290 pounds when he was drafted. I remember seeing a picture of Bradley holding onto the ring while his feet were touching the ground and I thought damn the guy must have a lot of potential. But Ming, is far ahead of Bradley in terms of development, you mentioned his smooth shooting, he also has post-moves thanks to his good footwork and defensively, well, we all saw him block Carter and Payton in the Olympics. The sky clearly is the limit for Ming...
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/5/2002  11:35 PM
I don't care what he measures I just hope the knicks don't get him period. Even if Ming turns out to be a hall of famer I still would feel the same!!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MCfan23
USA
5/6/2002  2:48 PM
Posted by tkf:

I don't care what he measures I just hope the knicks don't get him period. Even if Ming turns out to be a hall of famer I still would feel the same!!!
Why? What do you have aginst him?
We suck.
Knixkik
USA
5/6/2002  2:53 PM
Posted by MCfan23:
Posted by tkf:

Why? What do you have aginst him?
I'm wondering the same thing. I mean i don't care who they are if they have anywhere near hall of fame potential you need to get him. Ming is one of the most unique players in this league's history. You won't find another guy at 7-6 who can shoot they way he can and have skills like him in a long time. But i guess you can't please everyone.
killacross
Member: #58
USA
5/6/2002  5:44 PM
everyone has the misconception that ming has to add weight in order to play in the league. That could not be farther from the truth. Yes he must definately add much needed strength but his goal of lifting cannot be to get bigger. One of the aspects to ming's game that makes him so unique is how well he moves for someone of his height. From seeing a few clips of him he moves very fluidly and if he adds weight that could take away from that. If ming adds weight and loses his mobility he goes from a player who can revolutionize the game to a tall, slow, clumbsy player that can only shoot.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
Knixkik
USA
5/6/2002  6:41 PM
Posted by killacross:

everyone has the misconception that ming has to add weight in order to play in the league. That could not be farther from the truth. Yes he must definately add much needed strength but his goal of lifting cannot be to get bigger. One of the aspects to ming's game that makes him so unique is how well he moves for someone of his height. From seeing a few clips of him he moves very fluidly and if he adds weight that could take away from that. If ming adds weight and loses his mobility he goes from a player who can revolutionize the game to a tall, slow, clumbsy player that can only shoot.
You make a very good point. I would be content with him staying at a legit 295 and he can do that and still add a lot of stength. If he does this than it will be awsome if we get him because he will be a top 5 center in the league right off the bat.
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
5/6/2002  7:29 PM
Well if you look at Ming you will see that his legs are big, its just his upperbody that is skinny, so I don't think by him adding maybe 15 pounds will hurt his speed or mobility too much. I mean look at ZO or even Camby after they added about 15 - 20 lbs of muscle to their body, they still had their speed, in fact a case could be made for ZO that he got faster(before his kidney problems). I would definitely like to see him some where between 305 - 315 lbs.

[Edited by - KEEPCAMBYNY on 05/06/2002 19:32:42]
I bleed orange and blue for life.
Knixkik
USA
5/7/2002  8:19 PM
The picture explains it all. He's just got such domanate size it's hard not to think he will be a superstar. On top of that he has the skills that have never really been shown from a player like him. He's twice the size of Bradley, plus has twice the skills and mobility(if not more in every category). I would deal Camby and our #1 pick if we could get Ming and maybe one other decent player who is a cap filler in the deal.
Look at this! Info on Ming

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy