[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks look at shooters
Author Thread
Knick2001
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #83
6/17/2005  8:09 AM
Because of the Knicks' desperate need for height and a low-post threat, most projections for the June 28 NBA draft have them taking Arizona center Channing Frye with the eighth pick. But they also need reliable outside shooting if Allan Houston's career is winding down, and three of the prospects they worked out yesterday - Texas A&M's Antoine Wright, Florida's Matt Walsh and Louisville's Francisco Garcia - might provide it.

Wright can play shooting guard and small forward and is regarded as a sure lottery pick in the 7-14 range; Garcia, who plays both guard positions, is projected to go late in the first round or early in the second. The most intriguing of the three might be Walsh, a pure shooter who is a favorite of Knicks pro personnel director Brendan Suhr.

The Knicks also hold the 30th and last pick in the first round, but Walsh, who committed to stay in the draft as a junior when he signed with an agent this week, probably won't be available unless the Knicks trade up. "I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think I was going to be picked," said Walsh, who said he expects to go from 17 to 30.

"I'm not going to say anything about any guarantees, but I'm confident I'm going to be in those picks . . . I've shot the ball well everywhere I've gone. Also, I led our team in assists. In the NBA these days, everyone's looking for a shooter and somebody who makes people better."

Walsh actually worked out twice for the Knicks yesterday, first playing with three second-round prospects and then matching up with Wright, Garcia and Michigan State's Alan Anderson. His smile said he was pleased with the results, and Suhr and Knicks president Isiah Thomas have given him positive feedback.

"I'm real close with Brendan Suhr, and Isiah came down and talked to us at Florida last season," Walsh said. "Suhr said he absolutely agreed with my decision to stay in the draft. He said if I was his son, he would tell me to do the same thing. I've talked to Isiah a little bit. To be in his presence was really an honor for me. I think he was at the SEC Tournament, and I got tournament MVP."

Wright improved his shooting dramatically during his junior season and has been moving up rapidly in his workouts because he also is a slasher who can get to the rim. If Frye isn't available at the eighth pick, Wright could be the choice.

"They've talked to my agent, and Isiah came and watched a couple of my workouts while I was in New York [at the time of the May 24 draft lottery]," Wright said. "He was impressed, and he said he was going to bring me in. I didn't know I was going to be working out against this tough group. I think we definitely brought the best out of each other."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix174308025jun17,0,7414911.story?coll=ny-knicks-print
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/17/2005  8:18 AM
As eratic as TT and Crawfford have been, it is imperative to find a guy that can consistantly knock down shots. That shows you all that Isiah knows what it takes to win in this league..
The true Knickabocker..........
Knick2001
Member: #83
6/17/2005  8:45 AM
I wonder if the Knicks have worked out in private or have plans to work out Joey Graham.
SkyWalker
Member: #814
6/17/2005  9:39 AM
The Knicks definitely need a consistent perimeter scorer. I still love Garcia. I really hope he is around at #30 and we can grab him. My gut tells me that he wont. I think he can be a real versitle player for us. Marbury, Crawford and Garcia would be a solid 3 guard rotation. All three would be able to handle the point. All three would be able to play shooting guard. They would all be interchangable. The only problem is who can stop their man on defense? Garcia is a great shooter and even though he is skinny, he has a lot more heart than a guy like Crawford and plays with a lot more passion. He is not scared to get up in a guys face. Crawford looks more like he is scared he might break a nail on defense.
Kenny SkyWalker
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/17/2005  9:45 AM
Posted by Knick2001:

I wonder if the Knicks have worked out in private or have plans to work out Joey Graham.

I don't have the link but I am 100% sure that the Knicks were at one of Graham's workout's, not a private Knicks workout but some kind of workout.

Oh, here is the article:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=194

"One team that I heard is going to try to structure their team around playing that way is Golden State. They have all the horses to do that, except for their combo forward. Graham had a phenomenal workout just last week. An NBA executive who was at this particular workout said off the record that he personally thinks that Graham will get snatched up at #8 by the Knicks, though."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
rain
Member: #353
USA
6/17/2005  2:10 PM
Graham was in on one the Knicks first workouts in May..
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/17/2005  2:17 PM
I am very concerned with LA just did...Now they have a chance at really making out before we do...I don't understand why Isiah can not find a good trade partner to deal with...
The true Knickabocker..........
Knicks look at shooters

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy