Member: #536
6/16/2005  4:58 PM
53%FG best on the team
2.2 offensive boards best on the team
8.5 ppg on 5.5 shots a game
had 35 games of 2 fouls or less and avg 19 mins in those games
in april: 10.1ppg, 6.1rpg on 56% shooting in 23min a game
he is only 22 years old

this guy is about to explode (no fat jokes please)
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/16/2005  5:07 PM
I agree that he has potential. I do hope the guy gets in shape. If he could get down to 255, look at Diogu, I mean, that would be huge. Huge for his game, I mean. (really, no pun, intended).
¿ △ ?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/16/2005  5:13 PM
everyone wants Sweets to sucseed.......but with the 6 power fwds we currently have he is one of the easiest to let go.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/16/2005  5:42 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

everyone wants Sweets to sucseed.......but with the 6 power fwds we currently have he is one of the easiest to let go.

no, he should be HARDEST to let go. everybody knows that mo, jyd, malik, and kurt are. there's no "potential" there. they are what they are. so if they play 35 mins or if they play 15 mins, their trade value stays relatively the same. they're overpaid retreads that EVERYBODY in the league knows about. there is ZERO excuse to not start and play sweets 35 mins a night and let those guys fight for the remaining 15.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/16/2005  6:06 PM
Sweetney starts games but can't stay in them because of his lack of conditioning & his penchant to get into foul trouble...right now, Malik Rose, KT & JYD have more of an impact on games than Sweetney on a more consistent basis...the only excuse for not playing Sweetney more minutes is Sweetney himself...he's got to force his way into playing more by getting into tip top shape & being effective on a consistent basis.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/16/2005  6:18 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by EnySpree:

no, he should be HARDEST to let go. everybody knows that mo, jyd, malik, and kurt are. there's no "potential" there. they are what they are. so if they play 35 mins or if they play 15 mins, their trade value stays relatively the same. they're overpaid retreads that EVERYBODY in the league knows about. there is ZERO excuse to not start and play sweets 35 mins a night and let those guys fight for the remaining 15.
Everyone know about them because they have played significant minutes. Sweets is a developing player who may or may not ever learn to deal with his weight issues or turn into a good player. When you talk about trading a player, it always matters who you are talking about trading them for.

Also with 4 pfs on our team, you have to make some trades and since he is the one thats probably easiest to trade, it makes sense to move him. we have to turn some PF's into 3's,2's, 1's or 5's. It is essential to balance our team.

PLus with his low salary, we'll probably be trading him for another young player at a different position. that player will also have potential.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
6/16/2005  6:25 PM
The fact that he is easy to trade should not mean he must be traded.

IT's blatant mismanagement of the roster has left us with a million PF's, so why should we trade the best one away?

This kind of logic leads to constantly trading away your young player for older vets who are all but spent, and being stuck with an old, untalanted bunch of exiles. Sounds familiar?
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Killa4luv
USA
6/16/2005  6:27 PM
Posted by simrud:

IT's blatant mismanagement of the roster has left us with a million PF's, so why should we trade the best one away?

This kind of logic leads to constantly trading away your young player for older vets who are all but spent, and being stuck with an old, untalanted bunch of exiles. Sounds familiar?
Sweetney is not our best PF by a longshot. And no one said he should be traded because he is the easiest, he must be traded because we have 5 and he is the easiest.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/16/2005  6:55 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by simrud:

Sweetney is not our best PF by a longshot. And no one said he should be traded because he is the easiest, he must be traded because we have 5 and he is the easiest.

I'm all about trading Sweets because I think he is going to be the next Traylor. I think he has great potential but I do not think he will be able to keep his body under control.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Killa4luv
USA
6/17/2005  1:43 AM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by simrud:

I'm all about trading Sweets because I think he is going to be the next Traylor. I think he has great potential but I do not think he will be able to keep his body under control.
I never really thought Traylor would be anything in the league. I think Sweets is already as good or better than him, but I think Traylor really picked the wrong sport. He shoulda played football.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/17/2005  5:24 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by simrud:

I never really thought Traylor would be anything in the league. I think Sweets is already as good or better than him, but I think Traylor really picked the wrong sport. He shoulda played football.

I think Sweets has more talent than Tryalor, but they both have the same basic problem, which is putting the burger down and picking up a lowfat yogurt instead.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/17/2005  7:58 AM
Posted by joec32033:

I think Sweets has more talent than Tryalor, but they both have the same basic problem, which is putting the burger down and picking up a lowfat yogurt instead.
I have that exact same problem!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/17/2005  8:13 AM
The Knicks organization did an aweful job with this young dude...They should have had a much better system around to help this kid, but they didn't...Granted that it should have been his duty to keep himself in shape, but the organization should have taken it upon themselves to protect their investments..
The true Knickabocker..........
oohah
Member: #887
6/17/2005  9:17 AM
I'm willing...Sweetney = Clarence Weatherspoon (9th pick overall 1992.) Probably not as good, look at his stats: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/clarence_weatherspoon/index.html

[Edited by - oohah on 06/17/2005 09:22:10]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
purple012870
Member: #432
6/17/2005  9:23 AM
If KT goes (for value & for a Center), I think we can start Sweets at PF with the 3 veteran PF on the bench. JYD can give you SF minutes as well.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/17/2005  9:34 AM
JYD and Malik are both SF/PF/C.....in the right system, they can both help a team...However, Herb is not smart enough to develop a system that can take advantage of the talents that we have around...
The true Knickabocker..........
oohah
Member: #887
6/17/2005  10:28 AM
If KT goes (for value & for a Center), I think we can start Sweets at PF with the 3 veteran PF on the bench. JYD can give you SF minutes as well.

We can go with this plan as long as we don't mind having a horrible front line.

oohah
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/17/2005  1:35 PM
Posted by diderotn:

The Knicks organization did an aweful job with this young dude...They should have had a much better system around to help this kid, but they didn't...Granted that it should have been his duty to keep himself in shape, but the organization should have taken it upon themselves to protect their investments..

they had Mark Aguirre working w/him as a special project all last year...what more do you want them to do? baby sit him & make sure he doesn't stash any twinkies under his pillow for a late night snack? he's a professional athlete making millions of dollars to play a game he supposedly loves...he should be getting into shape on his own whether someone is riding his ass to do it or not.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/17/2005  2:43 PM
I agree with TMS that if Sweetney is serious and wants to keep his weight down, he has to do a lot of it on his own terms. Of course he could use some help from the coaches and a nutritionist, but in the end, the guy putting the food in his mouth is him and the guy with Sweetney's mentality is Sweetney, so it's still him that has to do the work.

However, I am not writing Sweetney off at all, as I think he has actually had a nice solid season, considering it was really his rookie season (Really didn't play much until the last month of his first year). He just needs condition better so he can move his feet better so he can get into less foul trouble, cause when he's on the court, he's been real solid.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/17/2005  2:50 PM
Anyone remember how Sweets looked in summer league last year? The coaches are doing their job. As Allanfan and TMS said though, Sweetney has to stay in good shape on his own. He looked like a different person in summer league last year because Aguirre worked with him a lot. However, Sweets gained the weight back, not Aguirre. The Knicks organization should not be blamed for Sweetney choosing to supersize his fries again.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
for those that are willing to part with sweetney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy