Jim Calhoun calling out Bynum to withdraw from draft
Author Thread
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/14/2005  1:55 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

[quote]Posted by Bonn1997:

If he has the right work ethic, he'll develop fine even if he is drafted before he's ready for the NBA so long as he has smart people guiding and advising him, which I'm sure he will. Kwame's simply been a bust. Plenty of people who go to school for 4 years turn out to have disappointing NBA careers too. Maybe it's just their personality, lack of effort, or who knows? You can't simply know that it was the decision not to go to school that hurt Kwame's career.
He will not be allow to play for UNCONN. He has to accept his status as Knicks property or reject it. He will be the first NCAA player in history to be playing on his college team while he is a pro property. Come on guys. Just think about this stuff.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/14/2005  2:02 PM
Ewing was a great player and I will not take that away from him, but he has yet to prove jack as a coach...Brown, Haywood and Etan were horrible, and credit should have gone to Ewing...Yao cam into the league as a ready player....If it's true that he did such a masterful job with Yao, why is it that he didn't dominate the West? At his size, he should have dominate especially given the fact that Shaq is no longer there...

]
Dido, what is your problem with Ewing? You have been posting some weird stuff today. Yao and the Rockets credit Ewing with getting him adjusted to the NBA, even Shaq said he can tell that Ewing has been working with Yao. Deke was there for like a season and you are ready to give him credit for Yao. Ewing was only there one year for Haywood. I don't even include Brown because he was still playing for the Magic when Brown was in his rookie season. Brown drafted 2001 and Ewing sign a contract with the Magic in 2001. You have chronological order issues here. In my opinion Haywood and Thomas but benefit from Ewing both made significant improvements. Bonn is right, Kwame have issues that are not related to his basketball ability.
[/quote]
The true Knickabocker..........
Knick2001
Member: #83
6/14/2005  2:07 PM
He will not be allow to play for UNCONN. He has to accept his status as Knicks property or reject it. He will be the first NCAA player in history to be playing on his college team while he is a pro property. Come on guys. Just think about this stuff.

That's what I thought. Everything that I have read does not give him the option to be drafted and still retain his college eligibility. Once he does not withdraw his name from the draft, his college eligibility is lost.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/14/2005  2:09 PM
we have to wait for more information. he has like 5 workouts this week. this is still a very pro uconn appeal, even from JC. the odds of us getting a speimen like andrew is low. If he didnt show that work ethich and deterimination to get into fanastic shape, then i probably wouldve never brought this up, but he did and I think work ethic and intelligence seperates players. Everyone, including me said there would be a 1-2 year waiting period of adjustment. We have leverage with 8 and the ability to move up with 30. Lets see how he wroks for the Knicks. If he comes in and plays very well, then can you pass on a 7-2 280 pound player, even knowing it will be a 1-2 year process?
RIP Crushalot😞
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/14/2005  2:10 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Ewing was a great player and I will not take that away from him, but he has yet to prove jack as a coach...Brown, Haywood and Etan were horrible, and credit should have gone to Ewing...Yao cam into the league as a ready player....If it's true that he did such a masterful job with Yao, why is it that he didn't dominate the West? At his size, he should have dominate especially given the fact that Shaq is no longer there...

]
Dido, what is your problem with Ewing? You have been posting some weird stuff today. Yao and the Rockets credit Ewing with getting him adjusted to the NBA, even Shaq said he can tell that Ewing has been working with Yao. Deke was there for like a season and you are ready to give him credit for Yao. Ewing was only there one year for Haywood. I don't even include Brown because he was still playing for the Magic when Brown was in his rookie season. Brown drafted 2001 and Ewing sign a contract with the Magic in 2001. You have chronological order issues here. In my opinion Haywood and Thomas but benefit from Ewing both made significant improvements. Bonn is right, Kwame have issues that are not related to his basketball ability.
[/quote]
Yao can you tell me what center had a better year than Yao in the west?
You have problems with Thomas and Haywood then those are your issues but most would considered them well improve and I think Ewing only had one season with them. You still didn't address my issue about your chronlogical order. It doesn't make sense. Brown was a Wizard while Ewing was a Magic. Ewing spent one season with the Wizards. Brown drafted in 2001, Ewing retired in 2002, unless you think he should have been coaching Brown as a member of the Magic as well. But like you said Ewing was a soft player in college, so it makes sense.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/14/2005  2:11 PM
I agree with Did on this one. Although Ewing is a true Knick, great player and has done all he can for us, that was as a player. He's yet to prove anything as a coach. We already have a big man coach anyway, and he seems to do well with Sweetney and even made Nazr a decent scorer in the post. The Knicks are a struggling franchise. We need experience in terms of the coaching staff. Guys who know how to win. If we can't find that, we might as well ride with what we have and give them some experience and see if they can make the best of Hell, aka the NY Knicks.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/14/2005  2:24 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

That's what I've been worried about. It's really hard to get a 17 yr old in NYC to develop, especially with his bro interfering. I mean, look at Kwame Brown. Has all the tools, got mentally destroyed by Jordan. If Kwame went to school (not sure if he had the grades), he would've had a totally different formative experience.

If we took Bynum at 8, I just worry the pressure would be too much. On him. Personally, I hope the kid goes to school. It's clearly what's best for him.
I have being saying this all along. Going to college increases his chances of becoming a great player significantly, and not going has an equal and opposite effect.

Its a huge risk that I don't think most GMs will take unless they have 2 picks and one is late. I'd like Isiah to move up late and grab him, but I'd like the bpa (not a pg) at 8.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/14/2005  2:41 PM
One thing, I would have confidence in ISiah to give this kid what he needs. Ariza was always focused. Maybe part of that was living with Marbury but he was 19. Isiah coached Oneil (21), Bender (HS), Harrington (HS)
I think he's got a good grasp on what a HS kid would need and has $$$ to work with in terms of hiring supporting staff.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/14/2005  2:45 PM
The point is, where are those two kids who came right out of HS now? Bender and Harrington have the tools to be players, but not the heads. I think a big part of that comes from college. Obviously, there are always exceptions, but there are far more Al Harrington/Jackie Butler stories in this league than there are Amare fairy tales.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/14/2005  2:49 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

The point is, where are those two kids who came right out of HS now? Bender and Harrington have the tools to be players, but not the heads. I think a big part of that comes from college. Obviously, there are always exceptions, but there are far more Al Harrington/Jackie Butler stories in this league than there are Amare fairy tales.
Are you sure about that? The list of players who didn't go to college and are busts in the NBA probably is not longer than the list who are now solid players.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/14/2005  2:50 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Yeah but fans love those fairytale stories. Its logic vs. emotion and for most emotion wins. Thats why you get the strong reaction when you ask logical questions concerning bynum, or consider optioions with the #8 including trading it, etc. Folx have emotional attachments to the draft like that is the only way to ever get better.
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  3:02 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Harrington has been good. He was very good with Indy. Its hard to judge anyone in Atl.
Bender has been hurt since day one. My point wasnt so much that they became great players, rather that Isiah has a good amount of experience in dealing/understanding what young players need.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/14/2005  3:14 PM
yes, but taking them when they haven't played any sort of college ball makes the skills development harder. I agree Isiah could make the emotional/maturation development easier, but how can you forecast whether this kid is Desagana Diop 2, Jerome James 2, Brendan Haywood 2 or perhaps something good?

and, I still don't buy that this kid will be ready to start until year 5. I'm not totally against, I just think it's insanely high risk/ questionable reward. Obviously sometimes that will work, but most times it will blow up in your face. Most teams that are successful in the draft take developed players. Obviously, every generation there will be a Lebron and Amare man-child that comes along, ask Joe Dumars how Darko is doing. I heard the same things about his size and how well we moves on the court when no one is guarding him.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/14/2005  4:13 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

yes, but taking them when they haven't played any sort of college ball makes the skills development harder. I agree Isiah could make the emotional/maturation development easier, but how can you forecast whether this kid is Desagana Diop 2, Jerome James 2, Brendan Haywood 2 or perhaps something good?

and, I still don't buy that this kid will be ready to start until year 5. I'm not totally against, I just think it's insanely high risk/ questionable reward. Obviously sometimes that will work, but most times it will blow up in your face. Most teams that are successful in the draft take developed players. Obviously, every generation there will be a Lebron and Amare man-child that comes along, ask Joe Dumars how Darko is doing. I heard the same things about his size and how well we moves on the court when no one is guarding him.

I see no way Andrew Bynum gets out of the top 15-16, I just don't see it. There are not 15 better prospects than Andrew, I dont think there are 3 better prospects let alone 15. I think what we saw with Gerald Green and their GM shows a little of the mentality--the same with why JR Smith and Josh Smith fell to 17+19--they are being discounted because they are HS kids and the teams think there is a develomenetal period, and some of the lottery teams want guys who can produce now. I still think we need the best LONg term big man and the best long term big man is Bynum, hands down. Channing Frye would probably be the pick that start off with guys who can bust. hes a tweener, he has a weak base, they jacked him up and he only weighs 243, and if he put on 20 so-called pounds that means he weighed 225 or so. Hes more perimeter based than inside. JC wants Bynum to come to Uconn for the right reasons, he wants him to develop and get a top 3 or 1 pick. Im sticking with Bynum at 8, there are NOT 8 better prospects than Bynum.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  4:24 PM
Im sticking with Bynum at 8, there are NOT 8 better prospects than Bynum.

tell that to the guys on realGM... lol

I posted something over there just to get feedback. It wasnt pretty on Bynum
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/14/2005  5:19 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Im sticking with Bynum at 8, there are NOT 8 better prospects than Bynum.

tell that to the guys on realGM... lol

I posted something over there just to get feedback. It wasnt pretty on Bynum

I saw that thread. Your own fault for expecting good feedback from realgm posters.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/14/2005  7:36 PM
I don't care if Ewing isn't that great a coach. I just want him back where he belongs. disappointing that he could'nt win it all as a player but I would be so happy for him if we win with him sitting anywhere on the bench.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/14/2005  11:36 PM
For the record, I think Voshon Lenard is the only player in recent history to enter the draft, get disappointingly chosen in the 2nd round, and return back for another year of college.

I don't think any high schooler has declared, gotten drafted, and gone to college instead. Heck, I tend to think that more than half of these high schoolers wouldn't quality for D1 teams (JUCO bound?).

In addition, with all of this hype around Bynum, I wonder how good he really was if he ONLY averaged 21ppg. Knee injury or not, I wonder he ever faced anyone taller than 6'6" in a high school game... or anyone within 50lbs of him.

Any high school coach would prolly just lob the ball up to him for dunk after dunk.

One thing going for Bynum is this:
"Personal: Was an honor student at St. Joseph High School. Graduated with a 3.6 GPA and scored a 1050 on his SAT. Favorite subject is physics."

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/14/2005  11:38 PM
FYI, I'd be thrilled to get him w/ our #30 pick... but w/ the #8 pick, you want someone with a little more actualized potential. If Frye's upside is Wilcox (whose upside was Antonio McDyess), I don't really have a problem w/ him.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
6/15/2005  12:25 AM
Anyone who saw the McDonald's game should have seen that Bynum is not ready. Anyone who takes him as a lottery pick can get ready to get fired
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Jim Calhoun calling out Bynum to withdraw from draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy