[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jim Calhoun calling out Bynum to withdraw from draft
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/14/2005  10:47 AM
from uconn insider

now some beef. JC is peod at the brother of Bynum because he feels that Andrew is not mentally or physically ready for NBA basketball, which could seriously do damage to his long term potential, and his brother has been aggresive trying to get a draft lock, and that includes teams OUTSIDE the lottery. JC believes with proper development, he could be a very high lottery choice in 2 years, that he didnt have enough developmental time in HS and won't get that developmental time in the NBA. He will actually call out Andrew publically in the newspaper to withdraw from the drafting process, in one of the Hartford papers today or tomorrow.

Personally, if JC feels this way, I have to stand by his word, because his word is strong with me. I guess franchises have to weigh the risk reward of drafting a 17 year old, and even though he is huge with such potential upside, that I can understand that. Even Shaq, who is in a league by himself, went to school for 3 years, and did not even dominate college basketball his first year.

Now it's up to individual teams. I really do not know what to say about our Knicks, it would have to be up to the guys who make the decisions. You dont have many chances to get a specimen like this, but if the player wont develop correctly, then the value is not the same.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/14/2005  10:53 AM
That's what I've been worried about. It's really hard to get a 17 yr old in NYC to develop, especially with his bro interfering. I mean, look at Kwame Brown. Has all the tools, got mentally destroyed by Jordan. If Kwame went to school (not sure if he had the grades), he would've had a totally different formative experience.

If we took Bynum at 8, I just worry the pressure would be too much. On him. Personally, I hope the kid goes to school. It's clearly what's best for him.
¿ △ ?
MS
Member: #724
6/14/2005  10:58 AM
Bring in Ewing to work with him, don't take him at 8 maybe he falls or maybe we trade up.....

Would you offer Ariza at the chance of getting Brynum late in the draft, if we can get our hands on Granger or Wright?
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/14/2005  11:01 AM
http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=72159&category=Sports

Here's a link.

Now here's the deal... the #30 pick of the first round pays a first year salary of around $700k. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd imagine it'd take me a decade or more to earn that much... (and by then I'll already have spent most of it!)...

And of course, in a rookie contract, he's guaranteed that much for at least 3 years.

Word. If you're 7' and you can get drafted in the first round, more power to ya.

The worst case scenario for Bynum really isn't so bad. Even if he's a second round pick, he'll still have the option to go to UConn since he hasn't hired an agent. The more interesting part is there don't appear to be firm salary rules for 2nd round picks--- A year from now, the team that drafts him could potentially give him 1st round-type money (a la Maceij Lampe).

Since the NBA has been proposing an age floor of 20... Bynum wouldn't be able to declare for the NBA for another 2 years.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/14/2005  11:12 AM
Posted by MS:

Bring in Ewing to work with him, don't take him at 8 maybe he falls or maybe we trade up.....

Would you offer Ariza at the chance of getting Brynum late in the draft, if we can get our hands on Granger or Wright?

I dont know what to say. I take JC at his word, but that still doesnt take away the physical specimen this kid is. The process is still a week away so my opinion will go on the sideline. There are to many people who believe he will be a high lottery pick in 1-2 years and with his dominating physical size--i guess its somewhat of the martynas thing, just in a different way--to ignore.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/14/2005  11:15 AM
If he has the right work ethic, he'll develop fine even if he is drafted before he's ready for the NBA so long as he has smart people guiding and advising him, which I'm sure he will. Kwame's simply been a bust. Plenty of people who go to school for 4 years turn out to have disappointing NBA careers too. Maybe it's just their personality, lack of effort, or who knows? You can't simply know that it was the decision not to go to school that hurt Kwame's career.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/14/2005  11:19 AM
Ewing is not that great of a coach...He did a horrible job coaching Etan/Haywood/and kwame.....for what it's worth, he is not even doing a good job helping Yao out...Yao was already a decent player, Deke is really the one not Ewing...

Posted by MS:

The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/14/2005  11:33 AM
yo Briggs... there is one other scenario. We draft him and he goes to school. It would be no different than drafting someone that still plays in Europe.

I know it would kill some Knick fans but I would have no problem drafting a kid like Bynum then letting him go play at UConn for JC. That would be better than any minor league practice crap we could put him through. He could get himself insurance against injury and go have fun at UConn.

In fact.. consider this scenario:

Knicks draft Bynum. He goes to UConn for two years. At the end of those two year he joins the Knicks. Coming off the books that year are JYD, Houston, Shandon's contract and Mo Taylor. Gone are Penny and TT. Remaining (as of now) are Crawford, Marbury, KT and Malik Rose.

I have brough this up before. Its a VERY reasonable goal to move KT and Rose for players with at least one year shorter. That leaves MArbury and Crawford as your only big deals. If you can move Marbury at that deadline for an expiring deal and a pick you could see us having $20mm plus in cap space, as well as a solid group of prospects.

Now you add to that a 20 year old 7'1 best coming out of one of the nation's best programs.

A plan like that requires great patience and planning (two things MGS lack) but its a VERY realistic plan.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/14/2005  11:34 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

If he has the right work ethic, he'll develop fine even if he is drafted before he's ready for the NBA so long as he has smart people guiding and advising him, which I'm sure he will. Kwame's simply been a bust. Plenty of people who go to school for 4 years turn out to have disappointing NBA careers too. Maybe it's just their personality, lack of effort, or who knows? You can't simply know that it was the decision not to go to school that hurt Kwame's career.

I disagree. Bynum is a baby, as was Kwame when he was drafted. And if you read that article posted awhile back ago, Kwame was babied all of his life, and suddenly, he's drafted, he doesn't want to sleep alone, know how to do his own laundry or make his own food or shop or anything. The kid was NOT ready for the NBA, and having Michael Jordan chewing his ears off did not exactly help. The Wizards were a poor organization for him to get drafted by.

A large majority of teams would just throw Bynum into war w/o even thinking of the kid. I agree that if he stays in the draft, it's in the Knicks best interest to go after him, but it's in Bynums best interest to get some experience in college so he can ease into it much better. Uconn is an excellent excellent program and a very very high number of Uconn products who enter the NBA turn out to be solid, at the least. Ignore Khalad El Amin and Travis Knight. Jim Calhoun is one of the brightest minds in BASKETBALL. Not just college, but all of bball. Maybe he just wants the kid on his team, but hey. He still knows.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/14/2005  11:38 AM
Posted by fishmike:

yo Briggs... there is one other scenario. We draft him and he goes to school. It would be no different than drafting someone that still plays in Europe.

I know it would kill some Knick fans but I would have no problem drafting a kid like Bynum then letting him go play at UConn for JC. That would be better than any minor league practice crap we could put him through. He could get himself insurance against injury and go have fun at UConn.

Knicks draft Bynum. He goes to UConn for two years. At the end of those two year he joins the Knicks. Coming off the books that year are JYD, Houston, Shandon's contract and Mo Taylor. Gone are Penny and TT. Remaining (as of now) are Crawford, Marbury, KT and Malik Rose.

I have brough this up before. Its a VERY reasonable goal to move KT and Rose for players with at least one year shorter. That leaves MArbury and Crawford as your only big deals. If you can move Marbury at that deadline for an expiring deal and a pick you could see us having $20mm plus in cap space, as well as a solid group of prospects.

Now you add to that a 20 year old 7'1 best coming out of one of the nation's best programs.

A plan like that requires great patience and planning (two things MGS lack) but its a VERY realistic plan.

Good post fishmike, and I think it was very smart of Bynum to not hire an agent yet. Here's a question though. Lets say he gets drafted by a team like the Knicks, but he doesn't hire an agent. Is it still HIS OPTION to go play college basketball?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
Posted by diderotn:

Ewing is not that great of a coach...He did a horrible job coaching Etan/Haywood/and kwame.....for what it's worth, he is not even doing a good job helping Yao out...Yao was already a decent player, Deke is really the one not Ewing...

Posted by MS:

I am going to circle this day on my calendar... I wholeheartedly agree with Dido. I too think Ewing makes a bad coach.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SKY
Member: #687
USA
Posted by fishmike:

Smart move.
But should we take him at the 8th?
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  12:12 PM
I would trade to trade down.. maybe to 16, but if no other options were there yea I would take him at 8.

Try to think of it this way. Would you rather have Mike Sweetney for the last 2 years or a shot at Wade, Bosh, Carmello or god forbid Lebron.

Anyone that knows investing knows that the futures market is the most volatile, but can also yield lucrative results.

Thats what we would be doing. Investing this 8 pick for two years in the hope that it becomes a top 3 caliber pick, something we will have almost zero shot at over that time.
Knick2001
Member: #83
6/14/2005  12:21 PM

Are you sure that's possible. I thought once he leaves his name in the draft, he loses his NCAA college eligibility, and especially since he would be signing a professional contract with the Knicks.
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  12:34 PM
we cant sign him. With HS players it works like this: A HS player may enter the draft and be selected, so long as he doesnt sign with an agent his eligibility is still intact. What the Knicks would then own is Bynum's draft rights.

Its just never been done. When a HS player gets drafted they have always gone pro.

Here's something.. if Jackie Butler didnt sign with an agent, he could have gone to Memphis or where ever he promised, then when he was done with school would have been an unrestricted free agent because he already went undrafted.
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
6/14/2005  12:34 PM
Calhoun should shut up. What if Bynum goes to Uconn, blows out a knee - then what? Will Calhoun loan him 3 mil? Take the money now kid, his brother's right.

As for what we do with 8, this is another story. We certainly don't want another Kwame...
Bonn1997
USA
6/14/2005  1:05 PM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

Calhoun should shut up. What if Bynum goes to Uconn, blows out a knee - then what? Will Calhoun loan him 3 mil?
couldn't have said it better myself. I'd only go to school if I thought I would not be a 1st rd pick.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/14/2005 13:05:54]
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/14/2005  1:16 PM
What's wrong with going to school for a couple of years and learn how to play the game properly??? That is why I can't wait for an age limit, because those young boys wouldn't have the options of coming in the league and waist the owners money....
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
USA
6/14/2005  1:19 PM
Posted by diderotn:

What's wrong with going to school for a couple of years and learn how to play the game properly??? That is why I can't wait for an age limit, because those young boys wouldn't have the options of coming in the league and waist the owners money....
If you're poor and you have a family to feed (which might mean sibblings and parents because many of these players come right out of the ghetto), then playing for free at school is in some regards a bad decision while you're family starves and you risk career-ending injury.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/14/2005  1:51 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by MS:

Dido, what is your problem with Ewing? You have been posting some weird stuff today. Yao and the Rockets credit Ewing with getting him adjusted to the NBA, even Shaq said he can tell that Ewing has been working with Yao. Deke was there for like a season and you are ready to give him credit for Yao. Ewing was only there one year for Haywood. I don't even include Brown because he was still playing for the Magic when Brown was in his rookie season. Brown drafted 2001 and Ewing sign a contract with the Magic in 2001. You have chronological order issues here. In my opinion Haywood and Thomas but benefit from Ewing both made significant improvements. Bonn is right, Kwame have issues that are not related to his basketball ability.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Jim Calhoun calling out Bynum to withdraw from draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy