[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

an inch and a half...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/13/2005  9:21 PM
Is what separates Channing Frye and Bogut from Ike Diogu. I'm sorry but I'm not letting that change my perception of who I want. The guy's got a standing reach of 9'1

Lets put this in perspective... thats longer than Ben Wallace. Here's a player who's FG%s over his 3 years in CBB we 61%, 53% and 57%. He blocked 2.3 a game, averaged 22.6 and grabbed 10 boards. He's got range on his jumper out the college 3. He takes 9 FTs a game. He's chisled.

I want a core group of long athletic guys that play 2 ways. I'm looking at Diogu and Ariza as my 3/4 players for the next 10 years.

No crazy trades to propose. If we just stay status quo I think we can set our selves up bigtime with these guys.

Its times to build around a type of player and have a plan. Crawford would also fit here. As a 6'6 PG he has great speed and can be very disruptive.

If Hodges is available at 30 great. If I have to use #54 to move up a couple spots not a problem. If he's going in the late teens thems the breaks.

Ike has 2 knocks... the PAC-10 bigs suck (weak competition) and he's an average athlete. IMO his motor is one of his best qualities and I dont see the Malik Rose comparisons. Malik doesnt have a 9'1 standing reach height.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/13/2005  9:36 PM
fishmike, do we want an entire team of undersized PF? he'a good player but we are overloaded to the gill at 4.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/13/2005  9:37 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

fishmike, do we want an entire team of undersized PF? he'a good player but we are overloaded to the gill at 4.
and he is not very athletic!
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/13/2005  10:12 PM
I agree. I don't want another 6'8" PF. His numbers aren't any better than Sweetney's were in school. In fact, the fact that he shoots 9FT a game makes him sound a lot like Sweetney.

I want Frye. If for some reason Frye isn't there, or Isiah is more impressed by Granger or Graham - so be it. Those are the three guys the Knicks should be looking at at no.8. Most likely, Granger will be gone by 8.

Also, not to nitpick, but he's 2.5" inches shorter than Frye if both guys are wearing sneakers, and for some reason Diogu's sneakers add more height than Frye's. Diogu is 6'6.5" in socks, Frye is 6''9.5". that's three inches in the real world if you take out Diogu's .5" inserts or whatever he uses to make his sneakers so thick. Were you talking about standing reach? Okay, that's 1.5" difference...

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/13/2005 22:15:34]
¿ △ ?
Ira
Member: #91
6/14/2005  3:00 AM
But whenever they go head to head, (Arizona va Arizona St) who wins the match-up? Ike!
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
6/14/2005  3:34 AM
If we didn't have so many undersized power forwards already, I'd be all for a bull like Diogu.

But, we do. So, I don't know. I guess you could do as Bonn says and trade some of the undersized power forward for Moochie Norris-type players, but how many Moochie Norris's do we want on the team? Furthermore, Moochie Norris-like players wouldn't address a need. Nor does Diogu. We need tough players, but we're so undersized that we can't afford to go undersized with any of our picks this year.

So, although I'd love to get Diogu, I'll have to pass because he wouldn't help *this* team and he wouldn't have good trade value for the same reason that he's not a good draft choice for us.
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  7:19 AM
I hate this... I hate how our options are limited because of guys like Malik Rose, JYD, Mo Taylor. We need help at every position except PG. I just want the best guy on the board because in 2 years I think most of these homers are gone anyway.

As for being 6'8 he's got the same standing reach as Bogut and Frye, minus an inch. I dont have a problem with that.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/14/2005  8:00 AM
I am not too crazy about this dude that you are all talking about...We already have a guy similar to him in Sweetney, but just a few pounds heavier...What we need is true size at PF and Center....with freakish athleticism...Hey look here, what is Bogut is still on the board at 8?
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  8:03 AM
Posted by Solace:

If we didn't have so many undersized power forwards already, I'd be all for a bull like Diogu.

But, we do. So, I don't know. I guess you could do as Bonn says and trade some of the undersized power forward for Moochie Norris-type players, but how many Moochie Norris's do we want on the team? Furthermore, Moochie Norris-like players wouldn't address a need. Nor does Diogu. We need tough players, but we're so undersized that we can't afford to go undersized with any of our picks this year.

So, although I'd love to get Diogu, I'll have to pass because he wouldn't help *this* team and he wouldn't have good trade value for the same reason that he's not a good draft choice for us.
so what about Channing Frye? He's got exactly 1 inch on his standing reach. This is a guy thats got a real soft label, yet it seems like he's a "safe" pick because he's 6'10 in shoes. Yet a guy like Diogu is just another undersized PF (he actually played center)
diderotn
USA
6/14/2005  8:07 AM
Ewing was soft when he was in college also....
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/14/2005  8:22 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/14/2005  8:25 AM
So if the Suns had had a lot of PFs, then they should have passed on Amare? I think you always have to go for the BPA and then make roster moves to free up time for the player.

I guess you could do as Bonn says and trade some of the undersized power forward for Moochie Norris-type players, but how many Moochie Norris's do we want on the team?
It's just the concept of pulling off a lateral trade. You don't have to literally get Moochie Norris. You'd get someone better than Moochie for Kurt and JYD and Sweetney (if you want to trade Sweetney).
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/14/2005  8:29 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by diderotn:

its time for one of those drop to the ground "faint" smily!
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  8:29 AM

some here is coo coo for cocoa puffs
diderotn
USA
6/14/2005  8:32 AM
Yeah, you read it right...Players can still be coached...One doesn't necessarily has to be a cut out star right out of school...As long as one is willing to listen and improve, he still has a chance at becoming a star...Right now, the Knicks doesn't need a cutout super-star, we just need capable cats with good basketball IQ...TT has no basketball IQ, Crawfford has no bball IQ EITHER....We need cats that recognize when a double team is needed and provides it.

Posted by Marv:
Posted by diderotn:

fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  8:39 AM
what are to talking about? Ewing (I assume we are talking Patrick) was one of the most dominating college players ever and he took his team to 2 NCAA title games, winning one and losing the other to a team that shot 80% from the field. He was the #1 pick in the draft in a year when the next guy might as well have been in the 2nd round.

Soft? Seriously... what are you putting in your coffee?
diderotn
USA
6/14/2005  9:33 AM
He was soft in College...Ewing just Karl Malone worked in his game and is now one of the best big men to ever play the game...
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/14/2005  9:43 AM
Posted by diderotn:

He was soft in College...Ewing just Karl Malone worked in his game and is now one of the best big men to ever play the game...

Dude, Ewing was one of the best defensive players in the history of college basketball. You don't get the nickname Hoya Destroya by playing soft. Seriously, try to watch some of his Final Four games, you'll be impressed.

As for the drafting of another 6'8" PF, no thanks. If Diogu was clearly the BPA, I'd say go for it, but he isn't. Is he better than all of our PFs? Maybe. But we have far more pressing problems and we can get by at PF, especially with 5 PFs making $50 million already. To my mind, we have a far bigger hole at SF - especially if Ariza is going to keep playing some SG.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/14/2005 09:47:19]

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/14/2005 09:47:50]
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  9:47 AM
who's better? No sarcasm either... I'm looking at the board and I dont see anyone that really impresses me. I like some of the lower guys like Blatche and Warrick but I think 8 is too high. Granger is gone IMO and Wright scares me a bit. He had a great year and he's all sorts of fast but he also shot below 40% before last year.

Maybe trading down is best.. I feel we are kind of in no mans land.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/14/2005  9:47 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Dido, dude, you have to understand you're just plain wrong on this count.

Partick was a WARRIOR in college. It was because of him that the team was referred to as Hoya Destoya.

he and michael Graham scared the SHYTE out of opposing teams.

Patick went into the final game aginst UNC and decided to do a little early intimidating so he goaltended their first 3 shots on purpose just to send them a message.

When he entered the nBA he developed a jump shot. If anything people ended up suprised that wasn't AS hard in the league as he had been in college basketball.

Here's my advice - at this point accept that you're wrong on this point. (said with love and goodwill and a bunch of them little smiling f'ers. you know, this shyte - )
an inch and a half...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy