WOW! Game 5 94 Finals on MSG!
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/13/2005  9:15 PM
Ewing was Da Man! What athletism!

unfortunately I started watching closely when he was already 34-35 but still a 23 & 11 beast! Damn we were good back in the day! I forgot how could we actually were!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/13/2005 21:26:02]
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/13/2005  9:20 PM
in games 3&4, olajuwan pretty much embarrassed ewing out there.

but if you look at that knicks team, it was truly a team. you had one really really good player in ewing - EVERYBODY else was mediocre but their talents fit well together. oakley was the 2nd best player but he was all defense and rebounding. offensively, nobody was close to being a 18-20 pt scorer. but the team won but as i look back on it now, they just weren't good enough to win it all. that 94 houston team was pretty bad as well - the only reason they did beat us was b/c olajuwan was better than ewing.

they're gonna show game 3 vs. the spurs on friday - the only win where h20 and spree went nuts.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 06/13/2005 21:20:34]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/13/2005  9:22 PM
Pat was awesome.... plain and simple. You dont get to be a 50 greatest player via hype.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/13/2005  9:24 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Pat was awesome.... plain and simple. You dont get to be a 50 greatest player via hype.

pat ewing is my favorite bball player of all time.
he made himself into an offensive star - great player with great work ethic. just had bad luck.
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  9:27 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by fishmike:

pat ewing is my favorite bball player of all time.
he made himself into an offensive star - great player with great work ethic. just had bad luck.

yep. Broke my heart that he was traded without winning the championship for New York which he wanted so bad

if only we had surrounded him with a player of Sprewell's calibur earlier to take the pressure off him. That was the problem in a nutshell! Thats what lead to his up and downs with the media and some fans. Everything was on his shoulders but he never complain and played his behind off like the greatest Warrior I've ever seen!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/13/2005 21:30:32]
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/13/2005  9:32 PM
Ewing was the man. I was too young for me to remember basically anything that went on in those games, besides the clear obvious things, but it's great to see a game like this. That dunk by Ewing was sick. Nobody on this current Knick team has his heart, as well as Starks, Oaks, Harpers and heck, even Smiths.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  9:47 PM
25pts/13rebs/8 frick block shots in game 5! not even Duncan does that now and days! Man if only Ewing had Obi Wan Ginobili!
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
6/13/2005  10:24 PM
The games in general were so much better back then... No zone, a lot more hustle, players sticking up for teammates; where is that now??
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/13/2005  10:33 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

25pts/13rebs/8 frick block shots in game 5! not even Duncan does that now and days! Man if only Ewing had Obi Wan Ginobili!
Just wondering--who do you guys think was the better player: Ewing or Duncan in his prime?

I'd say Ewing; he just unfortunately didn't have the supporting cast Duncan had. I bet the casual fan would say Duncan because he has the rings.
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  10:37 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Just wondering--who do you guys think was the better player: Ewing or Duncan in his prime?

I'd say Ewing; he just unfortunately didn't have the supporting cast Duncan had. I bet the casual fan would say Duncan because he has the rings.

yeah really good food for thought. I think you have to take into account that Ewing played during a time of much greater competition. Olajuwon, Jordan, Shaq and David Robinson Whereas the only competition Duncan has is an aging Shaq. Look I love Duncan. By far my favorite current player but i think this is a very interesting argument!
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
6/13/2005  10:42 PM
I'd say Duncan is better. I don't think Ewing did anything much better than Duncan, but Duncan's a lot more mobile and fluid than Ewing was back in the day, and he's easily the better passer.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  10:47 PM
Posted by tomverve:

I'd say Duncan is better. I don't think Ewing did anything much better than Duncan, but Duncan's a lot more mobile and fluid than Ewing was back in the day, and he's easily the better passer.

I disagree. Ewing was extremely athletic all the way up to 94. Duncan is definitely better fundamentely and in another league as far as passing goes. I think they're pretty close offensively. The question is who is better defensively? An old Shaq still scores on Duncan, look back at last years western finals. Olajuwon outplayed Ewing but Ewing outplayed the other top centers quite often. I think this is pretty close to
tomverve
Member: #878
6/13/2005  11:05 PM
I didn't say Ewing wasn't athletic-- whatever that is supposed to mean exactly. I said mobile and fluid. For a guy with his body type, I guess he was about as mobile and fluid as he could be, but he still wound up looking slow/awkward/deliberate at times with his offensive moves. Duncan is more streamlined.

As for the D, Ewing was a very good defender, but don't think he went around shutting down the likes of Hakeem or Shaq or Robinson-- they always got theirs. There also might be some selection bias from this series MSG is airing-- Ewing averaged something like 5 bpg for the series, which was much higher than his normal production.

All in all, I think you have to say Duncan is better. It's fairly close, but the final decision shouldn't be in doubt. Duncan is just that good. Here's a firmer argument that the qualitative one put forth above. Over the past 4 years, Duncan's put up an average PER of 27.0-- by comparison, Ewing's best 4 year stretch statistically (88/89 - 91/92) was 23.6, with a high of 25.8. Ewing was great, but not quite on Duncan's level.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  11:12 PM
Posted by tomverve:

I didn't say Ewing wasn't athletic-- whatever that is supposed to mean exactly. I said mobile and fluid. For a guy with his body type, I guess he was about as mobile and fluid as he could be, but he still wound up looking slow/awkward/deliberate at times with his offensive moves. Duncan is more streamlined.

As for the D, Ewing was a very good defender, but don't think he went around shutting down the likes of Hakeem or Shaq or Robinson-- they always got theirs. There also might be some selection bias from this series MSG is airing-- Ewing averaged something like 5 bpg for the series, which was much higher than his normal production.

All in all, I think you have to say Duncan is better. It's fairly close, but the final decision shouldn't be in doubt. Duncan is just that good. Here's a firmer argument that the qualitative one put forth above. Over the past 4 years, Duncan's put up an average PER of 27.0-- by comparison, Ewing's best 4 year stretch statistically (88/89 - 91/92) was 23.6, with a high of 25.8. Ewing was great, but not quite on Duncan's level.

yeah you're right about that. Thats why I said Duncan is better fundamentely whereas Ewing did look awkward at times like the FINGER ROLL. but like you said its actually pretty close especially since Ewing had much tougher competition at the time and still put up 23-25. But I can't argue with anyone who thinks Duncan has the edge on Pat. I just really admire Pat for wanting to win in New York in the worst way. And he never complained about not having a Ginobili or Parker. He went out there expecting to win every huge game and left it all out on the floor each and every time. Man I miss the big fella!
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  11:47 PM
and remember while Ewing was forcing game 7's against Olajuwon & Jordan Duncan was being the Nets...just more to think about
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/14/2005  12:23 AM
Posted by tomverve:

I remember this series well, too bad the whole OJ simpson crap was going on also, but anyway, I really like that team, they were a team and Harper was one heck of a floor general, good defender also... Ewing was good in that series, he set a NBA finals record for blocks in a series...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MS
Member: #724
6/14/2005  9:15 AM
If you look at the team there really wasn't that much talent it was all heart something this Knicks team knows nothing about.....and its really sad we have to put up with a bunch of pussies.....

No one got into the lane without getting dropped and if someone had a problem with it, each player out there was going to stick up for one another....

Unlike the cowards that trot themselves out there with their expensive cars, jewls, tats, and lack of professionalism, each player had each other backs and the defense was air tight, help d, on ball, people actually switched.....

Last years knicks team was a playoff team, but since they didn't care they couldn't even finish in 10th place in the conference
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  9:18 AM
thats one perception thats just wrong. That team had a ton of talent. I will admit some of it past its prime, but Ewing aside there were some good players there. Harper had a GREAT career and was really underrated in terms of what he did. Mason, Oakley, Starks.. that was a good team. Just because it wasnt loaded with sexy high draft picks there was still a ton of talent on that squad.
MS
Member: #724
6/14/2005  9:35 AM
As far as individual talent goes your telling me they had a lot, thats just not true, they had good players that were willing to play their role....

Mason was just coming into his own and his ball handling and toughness were what made him special.....

Oak the same, he was all hustle and defense, is Ben Wallace really that skilled maybe but he does his job by out working, Oak had no explosion, couldn't pass, or jump, but he beat you with hustle and an improving mid range.....no one is debating whether they had a good team, everyone fit together

Starks doesn't get the credit he deserves aside from being a bonehead at times he was very athletic, and was a streak shooter and had one of his best years that year.....

Harper and Anthony, both were solid defenders who could knock down the jumper and not be rattled in the clutch

Charles Smith? was he anything special, no

So Aside from Ewing who was a superstar how talented was this team.......

They were good because they played together picked each other up, helped each other defensively and played with energy. When was the last time you saw someone chest bump another teammate when they fought for a rebound
fishmike
USA
6/14/2005  9:53 AM
well then what team was talented more? They were all good players, and Harper was at the tail end of a great career. Dont forget Harper was a star in Dallas... he took a back seat role to Ewing on the Knicks but DH was no role player. It was certainly a well constructed team but I think to just say they were so good because they played their asses off is a diservice. That was a hell of a good team loaded with good ball players.
WOW! Game 5 94 Finals on MSG!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy