[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Billups Vs Marburry...
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
6/13/2005  10:39 AM
Ilgauskas is awesome... though with him you're commiting yourself to playing with a half-court offense most of the time... and you'll need some good defensive guards to slow down the other team until your center can get back on D.

As far as Billups vs Marbury goes... Marbury is a better player--- HOWEVER... considering his salary is 3 or 4x more than Billups, it leaves less room to buy good teammates.

If you're gonna get franchise-style money, you'd better be able to carry your team.

Ben Wallace also comes in bargain priced. Does Detroit have any max players?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/13/2005  10:43 AM
that is the thing, I don't believe you can win championships if you are tideup financially...Detroit won with a decent payroll, NE won with a decent payroll, money or cap space was never an issue when it was to bring in new guys....the Knicks are currently incarcerated because of poor previous decision..
The true Knickabocker..........
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
6/13/2005  9:39 PM
Posted by technomaster:

As far as Billups vs Marbury goes... Marbury is a better player---

I'm all for trading Marbury in a rebuild scenario, but the point you just made is an important one, certainly one that bears repeating. Marbury's offense is far superior to Billups. If you replace Billups with Marbury, Parker gets annihilated and donations are made to the ensuing Wallace dunk-a-thon. Pistons win 4-1.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/13/2005  9:42 PM
Posted by technomaster:

Ilgauskas is awesome... though with him you're commiting yourself to playing with a half-court offense most of the time... and you'll need some good defensive guards to slow down the other team until your center can get back on D.

As far as Billups vs Marbury goes... Marbury is a better player--- HOWEVER... considering his salary is 3 or 4x more than Billups, it leaves less room to buy good teammates.

If you're gonna get franchise-style money, you'd better be able to carry your team.

that is a huge misconception. You can still build a running team around a shotblocking Center who can rebound and get the break started.

Problem is with or without Z we are not a running team. The inconsistent TT unfornately is our feautured player in the half court in Herb's spectacle offensive scheme!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/13/2005  10:20 PM
Sure you dont care about the money now. Its when guys dont work out and you have made it impossible to do anything about it because of their contracts.
That's why I do care about the length of the contract. I care to some extent about the money in the sense that I care about a player's trade value, but even if you can't trade Big Z b/c he has a big contract, I don't see having him take up one of the fifteen roster spots for four years as a problem.

Isiah said the MLE was never an option for Dampier and point blank said that he was going to try and do everything he could to get a deal that he deserved.
Are you sure? I thought I remembered Isiah saying he was an MLE option. I know I remember Dampier saying signing with the Knicks for the MLE was an option (even though he probably wasn't being sincere).

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/13/2005 22:21:11]
rojasmas
Member: #639
6/13/2005  11:46 PM
Before we go giving Larry Brown all the credit for righting Billup's career, let's remember that Billup's career starting taking off under Rick Carlisle when he coached the Pistons. Carlisle never seems to get the credit of LB but beat Larry Brown when Brown had a superior Sixers team and Carlisle was coaching the Pistons. Also, let's not forget that Carlisle did a heck of a job with the Pistons and probably would have won a championship with them too if Rasheed came to him on his watch. Bouqets for Larry Brown but he was put in a pretty good situation and Billups had already turned the corner.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/13/2005  11:49 PM
Posted by rojasmas:

Before we go giving Larry Brown all the credit for righting Billup's career, let's remember that Billup's career starting taking off under Rick Carlisle when he coached the Pistons. Carlisle never seems to get the credit of LB but beat Larry Brown when Brown had a superior Sixers team and Carlisle was coaching the Pistons. Also, let's not forget that Carlisle did a heck of a job with the Pistons and probably would have won a championship with them too if Rasheed came to him on his watch. Bouqets for Larry Brown but he was put in a pretty good situation and Billups had already turned the corner.

totally agree! Rick is my favorite coach in the game today. Popovich is up there too
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/14/2005  12:14 AM
Posted by diderotn:

the bottom line is that Marb needs a system to thrive in and players around him to make the system work...It is a team sport after all...
excellent point
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/14/2005  12:26 AM
I wouldn't say it's a huge misconception-- we're talking about Ilgauskas here, not Ben Wallace or Dikembe Mutombo in his prime. Ilgauskas is far superior OFFENSIVE player to either of those two. You might even call his defense a liability.

The reason why you'd want Ilgauskas is for offense in the post. You wouldn't bring him here to be your big defensive stopper/fast break starter. As a coach, you'd want to maximize his strengths and mask his weaknesses by the system.

Forget about TT. He's gone, he's nothing. I can't wait to dump him.

Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by technomaster:

that is a huge misconception. You can still build a running team around a shotblocking Center who can rebound and get the break started.

Problem is with or without Z we are not a running team. The inconsistent TT unfornately is our feautured player in the half court in Herb's spectacle offensive scheme!
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/14/2005  8:29 AM
Posted by codeunknown:
Posted by technomaster:

I'm all for trading Marbury in a rebuild scenario, but the point you just made is an important one, certainly one that bears repeating. Marbury's offense is far superior to Billups. If you replace Billups with Marbury, Parker gets annihilated and donations are made to the ensuing Wallace dunk-a-thon. Pistons win 4-1.
The Pistons have a well rounded team yet Billups is averaging 4 assists a game. Marbury would probably give them 2 more PPG and 5 more APG for at least a dozen more points than Billups is giving. And Parker would get much more tired from having to guard Marbury; the Spurs big men would have to work harder on defense to help when he penetrates. It would be a completely different series.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/14/2005  8:37 AM
I don't know about that...I like both: Marb and Chauncey...It is not easy as a PG to play for larry Brown...I command Chauncey for having so much success playing on that system...

Note: Marb always plays well Vs the Spurs...They are just a better matchup
The true Knickabocker..........
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/14/2005  12:37 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by codeunknown:
Posted by technomaster:

The Pistons have a well rounded team yet Billups is averaging 4 assists a game. Marbury would probably give them 2 more PPG and 5 more APG for at least a dozen more points than Billups is giving. And Parker would get much more tired from having to guard Marbury; the Spurs big men would have to work harder on defense to help when he penetrates. It would be a completely different series.
I have to agree with yyou. Billups is good and there are similarities but Marbury is the better player and would make them and their other pieces better. Rip and Prince would have more catch and shoot scenarios than they presently do and Marbs driving ability would creat for big ben and Sheed as well.
Billups Vs Marburry...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy