Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/12/2005  8:06 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by gunsnewing:

damn! so glad you took the time to write that up! I was going to do something similar but got lazy. That proves the point I've been making all year. When a bigman is good he goes early. Until a bigman starts getting raved about the way Amare did, hopefully Bynum,we can't make the mistake of drafting a sweetney-like serviceable player as high at 8 when we can get one at 30 or through trade or free agency

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 19:42:04]

how is Mike Sweetney serviceable, hes 22! he is on the right development path. Sweetney could be a 17-10 PF

not until he losses weight which he hasn't even come close to doing yet. He's perfectly content on eating bacon cheeseburgers foe lunch and dinner. Until he loses weight he'll never be able to play more than 22mins a night against opposing frontlines.

sweetney is always over-matched because of his size and conditioning. Whenever he has a goodnight he abuses weak frontlines. But there aren't many teams with weak frontlines.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 20:08:19]

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 20:09:28]
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/12/2005  10:32 PM
My man's and danm said it best...Go big...Damn fellas, why is it so hard for the many of you to understand that basketball is a game of length....We are short and it killed us for four years straight...Detroit is in the final mainly because of their length...We are to change our way of thinking...The game of basketball is a game of blue prints,,,teams around the league are all trying to copy, but why can't the KNicks do the same? why must we continue to do things the wrong way?

Look here, we have three picks and we must use them wisely....

three picks, three bigs...no if nor but about it...
The true Knickabocker..........
gunsnewing
USA
6/12/2005  10:37 PM
LOL!

its a game of length and Tim Duncan lol
diderotn
USA
6/12/2005  10:42 PM
Guns! you must have had a little too much to drink...San Antonio is a pretty long team also...Timmy is long

Posted by gunsnewing:

LOL!

its a game of length and Tim Duncan lol
Masterplan
Member: #362
6/13/2005  12:21 AM
Posted by diderotn:

My man's and danm said it best...Go big...Damn fellas, why is it so hard for the many of you to understand that basketball is a game of length....We are short and it killed us for four years straight...Detroit is in the final mainly because of their length...We are to change our way of thinking...The game of basketball is a game of blue prints,,,teams around the league are all trying to copy, but why can't the KNicks do the same? why must we continue to do things the wrong way?

Look here, we have three picks and we must use them wisely....

three picks, three bigs...no if nor but about it...

seriously, guys! you think detroit would be in the finals if they hadn't followed this guy's blueprint and drafted big with darko? god forbid they'd have taken a wing or guard like wade or carmelo, they'd be boned. it's just too bad they'd wasted a pick on prince the year before when robert archibald (6'11) and mario kasun (7'1) were still on the board.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/13/2005  12:29 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

if Bynum isn't all that I'd much rather take Blatche over Frye who looks like a real athletic defensive stopper/shot-blocking Center from the workouts. But I'd still rather draft a potential superstar over a raw Dalembert at best type center with a pick as high as 8. We can find an athletic shotblocking PF/C at 30!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 19:17:10]
if that were true we'd be taking a swingman and drafting the big at 30. There are good swingman at 30, but there probably wont be any devloped bigs at 30.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
6/13/2005  12:31 AM
Mike Sweetney has not shown me absolutely anything that makes me think he was worth the 9th pick in the draft. The guy can't control his weight and if he isn't able to control it then theres no way he's going to get that 17 and 10 that you propose. I mean honestly we're really nitpicking if out of that whole list I composed that you take one guy and say he's great. Fact is, he shouldn't have even been there since he's 6'8 and that list was only for 6'10 and over, My Mistake.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
nyk4ever
USA
6/13/2005  12:39 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by gunsnewing:

if Bynum isn't all that I'd much rather take Blatche over Frye who looks like a real athletic defensive stopper/shot-blocking Center from the workouts. But I'd still rather draft a potential superstar over a raw Dalembert at best type center with a pick as high as 8. We can find an athletic shotblocking PF/C at 30!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 19:17:10]
if that were true we'd be taking a swingman and drafting the big at 30. There are good swingman at 30, but there probably wont be any devloped bigs at 30.

There aren't any developed bigs at 8 either. BUT there ARE developed Wingmen. I really don't understand this, look where drafting "bigs" got the Clippers, before last year their recent drafts were Chris Kaman, Chris Wilcox, draftday trade of Elton Brand and then the year before that drafting Darius Miles. Everyone of those guys was taller then 6'9. The Clippers are and have not gone anywhere mostly becuase of terrible drafting. I don't want the Knicks to be the Clippers, why the hardon for players that are tall who aren't good enough to be the 8th pick? Why not pick from a pool of players who are going to be all-star swingmen in some cases like Granger and players with boatloads of real talent in Webster and Wright.
tapseer
Member: #698
6/13/2005  1:45 AM
Hey as long as you're saying there isn't any impact players after pick #5 in the draft, you might as well blow #8 on a big! Teams that win consistently are longer thanteams that are short. We have been short enough. If you're saying Sweetney is 300 lbs., then remember he is only 6'7"-6'8" tall. All things being equal, what's wrong with Petro, Frye or Bynum? Unless you're a scout, your opinion isn't any better than mine, and if you're reading the same things I'm reading (and I'm all over the place looking for info), how can you pass over those three, when you have no one in the middle? The same way you say someone is the next T-Mac, I say they're the next Felipe Lopez...You say you want to upgrade positions, but don't want to upgrade the position you have no one there...what's your logic?
tapseer
6/13/2005  1:48 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

we are not going very far in the playoffs with marbury, 39% 180LB SG Crawford, 300LB Sweetney and just a serviceable center!

Now draft the best player available then we can worry about adding a serviceable Center later or in next years draft.

Thats the attitude that Denver,Detroit & toronto had when they drafted Skitsivili, Darko & Redojevic!

There where plenty of reports on Amare and his one of a kind incredible athletism. Teams stayed away because of his character. You think Chris Taft has looked that good in workouts?

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 19:28:23]

You will always be looking for a serviceable C, going the way you want to. Do it now, where you have a choice of players to fit whatever style you want to play. Wing players are a dime a dozen. 7 footers who can put the ball on the floor, get their own shot and post up aren't always there. Any C, who can hit a consistent 15 ft shot is an improvement over anybody you can name.
tapseer
6/13/2005  1:51 AM
Who are the developed wing men?
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  1:51 AM
Posted by tapseer:
Posted by gunsnewing:

we are not going very far in the playoffs with marbury, 39% 180LB SG Crawford, 300LB Sweetney and just a serviceable center!

Now draft the best player available then we can worry about adding a serviceable Center later or in next years draft.

Thats the attitude that Denver,Detroit & toronto had when they drafted Skitsivili, Darko & Redojevic!

There where plenty of reports on Amare and his one of a kind incredible athletism. Teams stayed away because of his character. You think Chris Taft has looked that good in workouts?

You will always be looking for a serviceable C, going the way you want to. Do it now, where you have a choice of players to fit whatever style you want to play. Wing players are a dime a dozen. 7 footers who can put the ball on the floor, get their own shot and post up aren't always there. Any C, who can hit a consistent 15 ft shot is an improvement over anybody you can name.

damn I didn't know guys of mcgrady, pierce, artest and kobe could be had so easily! We'll always have Mo Taylor to offer for one of them. Or we can always settle on 39% shooting, no D, 6-5 180LB Jamal Crawford!
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  1:53 AM
Posted by tapseer:

Hey as long as you're saying there isn't any impact players after pick #5 in the draft, you might as well blow #8 on a big! Teams that win consistently are longer thanteams that are short. We have been short enough. If you're saying Sweetney is 300 lbs., then remember he is only 6'7"-6'8" tall. All things being equal, what's wrong with Petro, Frye or Bynum? Unless you're a scout, your opinion isn't any better than mine, and if you're reading the same things I'm reading (and I'm all over the place looking for info), how can you pass over those three, when you have no one in the middle? The same way you say someone is the next T-Mac, I say they're the next Felipe Lopez...You say you want to upgrade positions, but don't want to upgrade the position you have no one there...what's your logic?

not only are their players longer but they can play and each one of those teams with the exception of Seattle has at least 1 bigman who can score inside and take over 4th quarters so that their team doesn't have 60 collapses in 1 season.
diderotn
USA
6/13/2005  7:01 AM
Very well said my man....Some of the fans on this board are clue-less

Posted by tapseer:

diderotn
USA
6/13/2005  7:02 AM
Again, I agree with you a 100%. Dude! where have you been? We have been looking for fans with your wisdom for a long time now...Welcome

[Edited by - diderotn on 06/13/2005 07:31:55]
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/13/2005  7:26 AM
Draft the bast non PG, player available. We can draft some bigs at #30. Deji Akindele who looks to be a shot blocking monster with very offensive skills will definitely be available at #8. If we tak e Frye Im cool with that. If we take Joey Graham I'm cool with that also. We just need to take a skilled player who can impact the game and make our team better.

We are more than a servicable center away. If Joey Graham can give us 12-15 ppg 6rpg and 4apg and lockdown defense in 2 years, we may be a serviceable center away from contending. If Frye can block shots, rebound, and give us 10-12 ppg in 2 years, we may be a serviceable wing player away from contending. There are more 7 footers than guys are willing to acknowledge, and they suck most of the time. Take the best player available that isn't a pg.
nyk4ever
USA
6/13/2005  8:36 AM
Posted by tapseer:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Who is the guy that can do that at 8? I don't see him on the draft board being able to do what your saying. I think I proved before that PF/C's are in every draft, just look at the list from the last 5 years of the first 10 picks there are PF/C's in every draft JUST LIKE their are wing players in every draft. This year, when the Knicks pick the best players available will NOT BE a PF/C it will be a SG/SF and that who is must be taken because the Knicks are a rebuilding team.
diderotn
USA
6/13/2005  9:18 AM
no disrespect, but you have lost your mind.....SG/SFs are always available...Tell me one draft that there wasn't a great SG on the board....Centers are rare...just because one is 6'10/7' doesn't mean that they are a freaking center....Some guys are only in the draft because of their size, that is it...
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  9:29 AM
Posted by diderotn:

no disrespect, but you have lost your mind.....SG/SFs are always available...Tell me one draft that there wasn't a great SG on the board....Centers are rare...just because one is 6'10/7' doesn't mean that they are a freaking center....Some guys are only in the draft because of their size, that is it...

so we should draft a mediocre late lottery Center and then win only 30games again and be back in the lottery next year and hoping that we can come out of it with a true allstar calibur Center?

I'd rather take the best player available and usually you'll find an allstar wing player in that 8-15 range and then hope that we win the lottery next year and then draft the dominant bigman we need. Not draft a so-so bigman at 8 this year
diderotn
USA
6/13/2005  9:43 AM
That is B.S. We shouldn't rely on one player to take us above .500...draft a couple of centers to solidify our frontcourt because that is our achilles hill. Enough with the Guards or wing players, because they can easily be obtained...
Go big!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy