well... here's one thing thats a good to read
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2005  1:45 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/48189.htm

forget the draft talk because Berman is probably just making it up from info he's gotten off a chat board somewhere. I'm looking at the last part...

Knicks assistant Mark Aguirre skipped Chicago to work out with 6-10 center Jackie Butler, 20, and Trevor Ariza because a lockout looms July 1 and the Las Vegas summer league could be canceled.

GREAT to know. 1 thats JB may still be in the plans and of course Ariza as well. Also that we actually have the brains to work guys out now wit an impending lockout and no summer leagues.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/12/2005  1:47 PM
Yeah it sounds good, gives me some hope and also reminds me we have a young big on our team already.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/12/2005  1:50 PM
that article also said Isiah really like Gerald Green. Too bad we were too busy trying desperately to win meaningless games down the stretch. No way Green gets by portland, charlotte & toronto(who we should've finsihed ahead of)!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/12/2005 13:51:12]
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/12/2005  1:53 PM
It also says Isiah likes Martell Webster, who I think would be a very nice pick at 8. This is a player with the offensive skills to score 22-25 ppg at peak.

I like that Aguirre will be there teaching Jackie Butler the fundamentals of offensive baskebtall. Now, if we just had a coach that could work with these bigs on their defense...

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/12/2005 14:12:44]
gunsnewing
USA
6/12/2005  1:58 PM
Martell will be long gone by 30. He'll go in the top 11 or so.

here's the entire article..

June 12, 2005 -- Isiah Thomas plucked Tracy McGrady out of high school eight years ago with the ninth pick in the NBA Draft. Thomas could get a chance to tab the second-coming of McGrady on June 28.

At least that's the out-of-control hype on 6-8 Houston high school swingman Gerald Green, whose the type of otherworldly athlete that usually makes Thomas drool.

"I don't think I look like Tracy McGrady," Green said Friday at the Chicago pre-draft camp before taking his physical. "People say that and I'm like, 'Yeah right.' Tracy is an outstanding player. It's a compliment but I don't see it at all."

Problem is, the McDonald's slam-dunk champ has yet to work out for any team yet or interview with GMs. When asked what he has to work on, Green said, "Mental toughness."

His proudest attribute? "I take pride in my jumping ability."

The knock on Green is he doesn't fit into a team concept or have a grasp on fundamentals. Still, because of his athleticism, he has the highest upside of any player potentially available at No. 8. Many project he won't be there for the Knicks, though the other marquee high school player, sweet-shooting Martell Webster of Seattle, should be. Thomas thinks both high schoolers are ready to contribute next season.

Thomas considers swingman as dire a need as center in a draft with precious few pivots. Tim Thomas is in the last year of his contract and Thomas will try to trade him. Penny Hardaway is history. And Thomas doesn't expect Allan Houston to get healthy.

Two swingmen rising into lottery contention are New Mexico's Danny Granger, who had a sensational workout in Chicago and will visit the Knicks Friday, and Texas A&M shooting guard Antoine Wright. Thomas watched Wright work out on the day of the draft lottery at the Reebok Gym in Manhattan with 11 other teams.

Wright considers himself a "Ray Allen-type" while Granger said he'll remind people of Scottie Pippen. "I'm an all-around player," Granger said.

Knicks assistant Mark Aguirre skipped Chicago to work out with 6-10 center Jackie Butler, 20, and Trevor Ariza because a lockout looms July 1 and the Las Vegas summer league could be canceled.
Knick2001
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #83
6/12/2005  2:02 PM
Coincidentially nbadraft.net has Martell Webster going to the Knicks with the 8th pick.

[Edited by - knick2001 on 06/12/2005 14:04:27]
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/12/2005  2:06 PM
Webster is someone that IT could consider at 8 just cuz he has a chance to be the next Allan Houston. Gerald Green could be the next big thing, but is more of a risk. You can't pass him up at 8, although he won't be there. If you can trade the 8th pick and Sweetney to move up and get him you have to, but nothing more than that, unless it's for Bogut or M Williams. Other than that it looks like Frye could be the pick. You have to be satisfied just cuz he's a true center and solid in every area of his game. He has no real holes in his game. With that you already know he's not going to be a bust. He will be better than Mohammed because he can just do more. He's athletic so you can run with him, and he plays with his back to the basket plus can knock down shots. As for defense he's a solid rebounder, shot blocker, and post defender. He's the one guy in the draft we can take with the 8th pick, and has a chance to be top 10 in the nba right away at his position. Just because of the lack of good true centers, you have to consider he will be a good player in the nba, and be good right away.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/12/2005  2:12 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Martell will be long gone by 30. He'll go in the top 11 or so.
Whoops...I meant to say 8 there. My mistake...I'll make an edit on my post...
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/12/2005  2:20 PM
knicks are picking Frye, there is no doubt in my mind. you dont go to arizona for 4 days, hold special workouts, have guys jump up into the top 10 because of some unkown promise--its a piece of a puzzle that fits together
RIP Crushalot😞
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
6/12/2005  2:25 PM
The promise to Frye came from GS at 9. No chance IT made any promises yet.
This is the Randle.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/12/2005  2:36 PM
I'm still holding out hope until pick 9 that we will be taking someone other than Frye.

But this is great to hear. I would have liked to have read Sweetney's name in there, but having our two 20 year olds working out with Aquirre is still a plus nonetheless.
gunsnewing
USA
6/12/2005  2:36 PM
Posted by EwingsGlass:

The promise to Frye came from GS at 9. No chance IT made any promises yet.

that is indeed a fact
Masterplan
Member: #362
6/12/2005  3:05 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

knicks are picking Frye, there is no doubt in my mind. you dont go to arizona for 4 days, hold special workouts, have guys jump up into the top 10 because of some unkown promise--its a piece of a puzzle that fits together

read the articles, dude. IT made his AZ expedition almost two months ago. the article you keep harping on was the first week of june, saying IT made the trip 6 weeks ago. that's mid-april. that's pretty damn early to make a promise to anyone. i would assume he's rethought the draft with everything happening since then.

the article: http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=9626&page=1
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/12/2005  3:18 PM
Posted by Masterplan:
Posted by BRIGGS:

read the articles, dude. IT made his AZ expedition almost two months ago. the article you keep harping on was the first week of june, saying IT made the trip 6 weeks ago. that's mid-april. that's pretty damn early to make a promise to anyone. i would assume he's rethought the draft with everything happening since then.

the article: http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=9626&page=1

According to Chad Ford, Isiah had a secret workout with Frye on the West Coast just last week. Ford says he "flew to chicago thinking Frye was his man, but obviously the draft is three weeks away and opinions can change."
¿ △ ?
Masterplan
6/12/2005  3:40 PM
i'm just saying there are all these unconfirmed reports and leaping to conclusions about this guy. IT did a background check on him shortly after his play in the NCAA tournament. he worked him out in the weeks leading up to the draft. that in no way equates to a promise. but guys like chad ford or briggs throw in words like "secret" and start talking guarantee based on "reliable sources" and hunches, and that's where the hype comes from.
Masterplan
6/12/2005  3:42 PM
to get back on the original topic, i'm glad to hear we're not letting jackie wander around and catch other teams' eye while waiting for resolution on labor talks and then summer leagues. him not playing was some plan (that we still can criticize), not any sort of disappointing performance in practice or whatever.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/12/2005  4:24 PM
grat news, i thought for some reason they were throwing jackie butler to the shtter, hes a power 4 who can step over and play 5. for those of you whop want Robert morris--Jackie Butler is the same dm thing, probably better.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2005  8:41 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

grat news, i thought for some reason they were throwing jackie butler to the shtter, hes a power 4 who can step over and play 5. for those of you whop want Robert morris--Jackie Butler is the same dm thing, probably better.
thats what I was happy about. We let Dermaar go too early and we needed guards all year. Dermaar is no star but we werent patient and he did work and play hard. JB is what? 19? 20? He's obviously got some tools (and of course size) worth investing in. This is why I wanted to see guys like JB and Ariza signed long term. What would JB say to 3 years and $2.8mm guarenteed... no? The guy made $20k last year.

This is what I dont get. We will give Vin Baker $8mm to waste space but we fart around with guys that have real potential.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
6/12/2005  8:48 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

no briggs Morris is taller and more of a defensive stopper/shot0blocker than Jackie who might become a beast on the blocks offensively. I could live with a developing frontline of :
C-Morris 6-10/6-11 266
PF-Butler 6-9 250
PF-Sweetney 6-8 270

with Marbury, Wright, Crawford, Ariza in the wings.
pretty much have everything covered there if it all panned out
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/12/2005  9:01 PM
How do either of you know what Jackie is yet? I think we've seen him play for a total of 6 minutes this season. All I can tell is that he is a 20 yearold prospect thats worth taking a shot on. We still have yet to see what areas of his game are his strengths and what his flaws are.
BRIGGS or guns, either of you watch him in the summer league with Minnesota or in the CBA? If so, can you shed some light on me?
well... here's one thing thats a good to read

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy