[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Cleveland doesn't have a pick at all...
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/12/2005  3:51 AM
So we could acquire big Z in a sign and trade + our 30th, which would be an immense value to them especially in this deep draft. I'm gonna put it together later cause its late and I'm sleepy. i know some of you don't want Z and think Bynum is the next Shaq, but I'm trying to be somewhat realistic here. Z is a good center and we'd be better with him period. I'll figure out a trade by the morning or hopefully one of you guys beats me too it.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/12/2005  8:53 AM
Penny + 30
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/12/2005  9:36 AM
Z sucks... I would rather live with KT untill something better comes along
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
6/12/2005  9:38 AM
Posted by fishmike:

goodluck waiting for a Center better than Z to come along
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/12/2005  10:22 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I second that.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
USA
6/12/2005  11:03 AM
how is something better going to come along though?

In order for a better center to come along we have to win no more than 20games and win the lottery in a year where there's a phenom Center. Something better like Samuel Dalembert? How far is that getting us? We need a guy who score inside so that we don't rely on jumpshooting so much. Now if we had Amare or duncan then It would be alot easier to wait for a servicable Center to come by but we don't we have Kurt Thomas. nevermind the 2.12 blocks per game Z averages putting him in the top 8.
rojasmas
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #639
6/12/2005  12:12 PM
Z is a good player. He just doesn't fit the Knicks as presently constructed. Z is a plodder, and Marbury, Craw, TT and Ariza are open court guys.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Killa4luv
USA
6/12/2005  12:26 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by fishmike:

I second that.
This is the problem I have with some Knick fans. Its like if a player has a flaw or is in some way imperfect, they dont want him.

What kind of players do you guys think we can get? The only centers that are better or more effective than him are Shaq and maybe Yao Ming. If you have to choose between KT and Z you choose KT? Thats really really stupid. I just can't think of any other words to describe that. KT has zero pesence in the lane, zero blocked shots and his offense consists of 16-18 footers. Z has a presence in the lane, blocks shots, has a consistant 16-18 footer and has a post game, and he's 7-3 in a league starved for centers.

If there is a counter-argument for getting Big Z, KT isn't apart of it. The perfect center doesn't exist, and the players we may really covet aren't available, Big Z is a much more than serviceable answer to our center problem. Its just as simple as that.

Killa4luv
USA
6/12/2005  12:29 PM
Posted by rojasmas:

Z is a good player. He just doesn't fit the Knicks as presently constructed. Z is a plodder, and Marbury, Craw, TT and Ariza are open court guys.
All of those guys can (Steph, TT) or will need to learn (Craw, Ariza) to play in a half court offense, we are not the phoenix suns. Marbury is the best player on our team and he can play both, and in all likliehood we will not be a run and gun team. Especially if we get a big guy in the middle who is as skilled as Big Z, hes better than everyone except Marbs, so that is how you would decide what style of play we would have. If your 2 best players are half court players, you run a half court offense, period. And make no mistake about it, if Big Z comes, he is our 2nd best player behind Steph.
fishmike
USA
6/12/2005  1:02 PM
Ive watched some Cavs games. Z can score. He gets some blocks because he's huge, but he's no intimidator by any means. He's a hell of a scorer. Only a total tard would deny that. Would he help? I have no doubt, but at what cost? Do we really need a 30+ year old center with limited mobility and multiple anke problems signed to a 4 year $50mm contract? Thats on the low end to boot... my guess is he would want something Dampier like.

He's a retread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/12/2005  1:10 PM
I've been saying no to this since we heard the trade rumors about him last year. His defense sucks, and that's what we need. I too would rather ride with KT. And giving up that 30th pick for Z is suicide.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Killa4luv
USA
6/12/2005  1:43 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Ive watched some Cavs games. Z can score. He gets some blocks because he's huge, but he's no intimidator by any means. He's a hell of a scorer. Only a total tard would deny that. Would he help? I have no doubt, but at what cost? Do we really need a 30+ year old center with limited mobility and multiple anke problems signed to a 4 year $50mm contract? Thats on the low end to boot... my guess is he would want something Dampier like.

He's a retread
I watched Cav games too and I watched when we played them and his presence kept Steph out of the lane for the most part. And I think we can all agree that Steph is pretty fearless when it comes to attacking the rim. No one ever called him an intimidator, I said he is a presence in the lane, which is a huge Steph up from K 'Matador' Thomas.

Hes not 30 plus, hes 30, which isn't old for big men. Hes been healthy for about 3-4 seasons, and ankle problems tend not to put guys out, we have KT and Steph who have had ankle problems on bothe feet and are ironmen in the league.

Are there really better options than him? I would say no, the best we have is a dream in the draft, and the remote possibility of a S & T for Dalembert, Gadzuric, or signing of Steven Hunter. All of whom are about 1/3 of the player Z is. There are younger, more atheltic guys, but as far as getting the point production plus blocks and rebounds, it simply is non-existant in the league.

His cotract is something to consider, but that is precisely because he is one of the best players available at his position. I'd love to have Elton Brand and get a Steven Hunter type to play alongside him, but it isn't happening. Get big Z and get a Frye, Taft, or even a petro to play alongside him, and that is entirely possible.

Allanfan-
giving up penny or TT and 30th pick for one of the best centers in the game is suicide? You are hilarious!
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
6/12/2005  10:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

He's a retread
i could'nt have put it better myself. as a matter a fact, i think i have in another thread so i'll stay out of this one.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/13/2005  12:40 AM
Posted by fishmike:

that's just crazy. Z has his flaws but you don't make it to the all-star team by sucking. He's a good scorer and shot-blocker; Penny plus pick #30 would be a huge steal.
Allanfan20
USA
6/13/2005  12:59 AM
No it wouldn't be. The guy is not getting any younger, is slow as all hell, sucks on defense. He's a very good scorer, but giving up that 30th pick for him is suicide. This is a deep draft, and there are plenty of guys that can fill in a nice role, and I'd rather have them over Z.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/13/2005  1:54 AM
thats just plain dumb. it would be huge to get Z for only the #30th, basically a 2nd round pick. what a joke you wouldnt trade a 2nd round pick for one of the best centers in the league.
Allanfan20
USA
6/13/2005  2:47 AM
Hey man, ignorance is bliss. I never denied that Z was a good player, b/c he is, but that's on the offensive end. However, the guy has major issues in terms of his health b/c of all those foot problems he has had. He's slow as all hell. He's soft on defense. He hasn't been nearly as good this year as expected. The past couple of seasons have been decent, but you've started to hear the health issues again this one, and can easily be injury plagued for the rest of his career.

There can be a ton of real good players left at pick 30. Heck, like Bonn says all the time, most people expect Bynum to be there (Which we all know he wont.) My point being is this is a deep deep draft, which means steals steals stealsm particularly at pick 30. Sorry, but I'm not sold on giving up that pick. Even though it's only the 30th pick, it's VERY BIG.
fishmike
USA
6/13/2005  5:47 AM
has anyone wondered why Cle doesnt win games?
gunsnewing
USA
6/13/2005  6:26 AM
Posted by fishmike:

has anyone wondered why Cle doesnt win games?

yes they are a 2 man team. 2 and a half if you count gooden.you need a lot more depth then that to win when you have a really good bigman like Z who isn't dominant. You need a rugged PF next to him and a good shooter. Than the Cavs would be a good team

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/13/2005 07:03:40]
Killa4luv
USA
6/13/2005  7:11 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Hey man, ignorance is bliss. I never denied that Z was a good player, b/c he is, but that's on the offensive end. However, the guy has major issues in terms of his health b/c of all those foot problems he has had. He's slow as all hell. He's soft on defense. He hasn't been nearly as good this year as expected. The past couple of seasons have been decent, but you've started to hear the health issues again this one, and can easily be injury plagued for the rest of his career.

There can be a ton of real good players left at pick 30. Heck, like Bonn says all the time, most people expect Bynum to be there (Which we all know he wont.) My point being is this is a deep deep draft, which means steals steals stealsm particularly at pick 30. Sorry, but I'm not sold on giving up that pick. Even though it's only the 30th pick, it's VERY BIG.
How big? This Big:
17, 8, and over 2bpg? Because thats very big from the center position, but are we gonna get that from any player at any position with the #30th pick? I would say emphatically no.

Ranks #19 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(8.6)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.12)
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Free Throws(402.0)
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts(503.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(299.0)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.8)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Blocks(165.0)

Yes he is slow, but he still makes an impact on defense, and he certainly is skilled on the offensive end. Your arguments not to get him are totally irrational. He has not been seruiously injured since the 00-01 season, I don't know if that is what most here consider major issues because of health. What injury issues have you heard this year, he played 78 games and thats more than Dwayne Wade who has yet to play 78 games in his career, Z has played 78, 81, 81, the last 3 years playing over 30 minutes per game so, WTF are you talking about?

I know you guys love homegrown talent and I know you guys are in love with getting fresh young talent, and so am I, but when you get a chance to get an all-star center in his prime, and all you give up is the number 30 pick and an expiring deal, you just do it.

The only reasonable concern in my mind is the size and length of the contract; but unless he wants max money or 6 years, I would say a deal seems workable. Not to mention the fact that he wants to play for the Knicks and we have a dynamic point guard who would compliment his game very very much.
Cleveland doesn't have a pick at all...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy