[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

IT and Frye - misdirection?
Author Thread
MaulingandAppalling
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #884
6/11/2005  4:59 PM
Regarding Frye, IT is putting his business in the street in a way that isn't characteristic. I haven't seen him be open like this in the past, and pretty much all of his scouting, and trades, have surprised a lot of people including the professional reporters. Here's my point: what is IT up to with all the Frye stuff?

If it is misdirection, why? I don't see what would be gained by it for us at 8.

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/11/2005  5:05 PM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

Regarding Frye, IT is putting his business in the street in a way that isn't characteristic. I haven't seen him be open like this in the past, and pretty much all of his scouting, and trades, have surprised a lot of people including the professional reporters. Here's my point: what is IT up to with all the Frye stuff?

Isiah is ALWAYS very open at draft time. He doesn't know how to keep a secret. Every in the league knew he was going to take Damon, Camby, Tmac and Fred Jones at each particular draft - but he still took them.

I think Isiah is one of the GMs who is worse than keeping a secret than anyone. Probably because, in the Knicks case, there are about 30 beat writers snooping around, as opposed to the one who follows around the Sacramento Kings GM.
¿ △ ?
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/11/2005  5:19 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah is ALWAYS very open at draft time. He doesn't know how to keep a secret. Every in the league knew he was going to take Damon, Camby, Tmac and Fred Jones at each particular draft - but he still took them.

I think Isiah is one of the GMs who is worse than keeping a secret than anyone. Probably because, in the Knicks case, there are about 30 beat writers snooping around, as opposed to the one who follows around the Sacramento Kings GM.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I think IT has been the exact opposite of what you describe here since he's been on the Knicks. Think of all of his moves as Knicks GM.

1) Trading Spoon (The papers thought it would be a buyout and didnt mention any trade opportunities)
2) Trading for Marbury (Absolutely nothing in the press leaked on this one).
3) Trading KVH for TT and Nazr (People thought KVH was gonna be traded and TT was mentioned only on the morning of the deal, but absolutely nothing leaked about a 3 way with nazr involved).
4) Drafting Ariza- A lot of prospects were mentioned, but not this guy
5) Getting Crawford- Probably the only move the press was all over, and by virtue of it being a sign and trade and because the agent was involved, thats where the leaks probably came from.
5) Trading Nazr and acquiring Malik and Mo at the deadline (KT was the rumor du jour, and while Malik had been on our radar, certainly these trades come by some surprise).

So I think he's been very good at not tipping his hand as GM of the Knicks, and over time we've heard a lot of things that haven't come to fruition (Craw was the real exception).

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/11/2005 17:23:32]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/11/2005  5:21 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by crzymdups:

I mentioned this on another thread, but I think IT has been the exact opposite of what you describe here since he's been on the Knicks. Think of all of his moves as Knicks GM.

1) Trading Spoon (The papers thought it would be a buyout and didnt mention any trade opportunities)
3) Trading KVH for TT and Nazr (People thought KVH was gonna be traded and TT was mentioned the morning of the deal, but absolutely nothing leaked about a 3 way with nazr involved).
4) Drafting Ariza- A lot of prospects were mentioned, but none of these guys.
5) Getting Crawford- Probably the only move the press was all over, and by virtue of it being a sign and trade and because the agent was involved, thats where the leaks probably came from.
5) Trading Nazr and acquiring Malik and Mo at the deadline (KT was the rumor du jour, and while Malik had been on our radar, certainly these trades come by some surprise).

So I think he's been very good at not tipping his hand as GM of the Knicks, and over time we've heard a lot of things that haven't come to fruition (Craw was the real exception).

thank you for making that clear. No wonder you're one of my favorite posters here
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/11/2005  6:00 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

thank you for making that clear. No wonder you're one of my favorite posters here

Thanks. I'm just trying to be fair here. Despite what Zeke may have done before he came to NY, since he has come to NY he has been very good at not tipping his hand to the press.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/11/2005  7:59 PM
If Briggs was GM, then you'd know Toronto would pick Bynum!

I think its both misinformation and serious interest.

It seems like frye can come in and fill the 5 spot day one.

Lets say IT is keen to take Bynum, better to try to hype frye.

But, all the GMs have the same access to players and probably see the same things and have very similar verdicts on players
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/11/2005  9:07 PM
Posted by VDesai:

3) Trading KVH for TT and Nazr (People thought KVH was gonna be traded and TT was mentioned only on the morning of the deal, but absolutely nothing leaked about a 3 way with nazr involved).
4) Drafting Ariza- A lot of prospects were mentioned, but not this guy

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/11/2005 17:23:32]

Okay, so everyone knew the moves were coming, just not the exact way they would go down? Everyone knew Spoon was gone, he got traded. Everyone knew Chaney was gone, he got fired. Everyone knew KVH was gone, he got traded. Everyone knew Jamal was coming, Chicago and New York papers were running daily updates on this, and he came here. Ariza was a surprise, but the only reason he didn't workout for the Knicks was he was sure he was a first round pick. The trade for Malik and first round picks almost happened for KT, but then Zeke does the exact same trade a year later for Nazr.

anyway, I was talking about the draft.

¿ △ ?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/11/2005  10:42 PM
Who cares, all I want is for him to finally get us a freaking big man that can play. He made many moves, but one of the moves that regretted the most was letting Nazr go...He will do his utmost to replace Nazr this season...especially after Charles Barkley and many analyst have criticised him for the trade deadline moves that he made...
The true Knickabocker..........
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/11/2005  11:04 PM
There is a huge difference between trading players and drafting players. With trades we see IT pull off surprising trades because it's easy to not see it coming. This is draft time. All these scouts and reporters are constantly investigating, talking, and spilling out information because they know all GMs are on the hunt this time of year. It's impossible to keep a secret during draft time. We heard it ourselves, IT conducted a secret workout for Frye. Obviously he's doing all he can to keep this one under the radar as much as possible, but it's clearly impossible.
IT and Frye - misdirection?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy