[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what was the best knicks trade since '90?
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/10/2005  8:30 PM
since we've been mired in doo doo trade after doo doo trade, which ones do you think were the best over the past 15 years?

i would probably go with these as the top few:

starks, mills, cummings for spree
mason for lj
trent tucker and jerrod mustaaf for xavier mcdaniel
AUTOADVERT
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/10/2005  8:49 PM
oakley for camby.. oakley was done, and camby was great.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  8:55 PM
Posted by jaydh:

That was the greatest trade by far. It takes a GM with vision and an honest assessment of his players abilities to make a trade like that. Mind you I almost cried when i read it I was so urt by it. But you simply cannot deny that that was one of thee, if not thee best Knick trade since 90.

Trading Ant Mason for LJ was a pretty risky but well rewarding move as well.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/10/2005  10:03 PM
both the spree and camby trades
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/10/2005  10:44 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by jaydh:

That was the greatest trade by far. It takes a GM with vision and an honest assessment of his players abilities to make a trade like that. Mind you I almost cried when i read it I was so urt by it. But you simply cannot deny that that was one of thee, if not thee best Knick trade since 90.

Trading Ant Mason for LJ was a pretty risky but well rewarding move as well.

this is a little funny actually, I remember my friend and I were driving home from macon to Atlanta after watching the georgia HS championships, we were talking about the knicks, and I was saying the knicks need to get rid of some of the older players, I proposed the oakley for camby trade, when it happened I was excited, I was happy we had a GM like Grunfeld that had some vision and a plan..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
6/10/2005  10:45 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

tru
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/10/2005  11:36 PM
NOT getting CWeb, NOT getting Damp!

Camby had a few moments, but I recall his inability to play after his sisters obduction and fell apart in many ways after that series.

I would have to say The spree trade, and the Marbs trade were good values.

I thought Cartwright for Oakley was a big big trade for us. It defined our character and gave ewing the muscle he needed.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  11:48 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

yeah Spree was a classic too!
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/10/2005  11:58 PM
Oakley for Camby was the one. YOu know why? B/C it took BALLS to do that trade. Oakley was an institution here...all heart, all hustle and its very hard to cut ties with someone like that, who has given a 120% to the team and someone the fans (and the Head Coach!) loved. And remember, Camby was was a dissapointment at the time. A no.2 pick that couldn't stay healthy, and even when he was healthy, he was a highly criticized player with very high expecations.

So it took a lot of vision and balls to make the trade, but it was exactly what the team needed. For a while, whether Camby could play or not was the difference from whether we were an average team or a really good team.

Now the Spree trade had just as big an impact and was risky as well. But it really was more or less a no brainer. I know Starks was also popular, but at this point he was a 6th man on the decline. Spree, before the choking incident, was a a bona fide all star and arguably a better player than anyone we had on our roster (including an aging Ewing). So really that was more of an easy trade to make, in my view at least.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/11/2005  1:42 AM
Mason for LJ. He wasn't a superstar for us, but he became perhaps our most important player, b/c of his inside out passing and his defense, as well as clutch play.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/11/2005  1:56 AM
The Spree trade because they gave up less.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/11/2005  10:11 AM
the problem with the Oak for Camby deal is we then turned camby into a through in to denver- so yes, oak for camby was good, but it only bought us really the good run to the finals in 99.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
6/11/2005  2:28 PM
Oakley for Camby is the best one easily. I still think the Marbury trade has to be up there as one of the best, he's the best player to don a Knicks uni since big Pat has worn one.

The worst trade since the the 90's?

Ewing for Gimp Rice. That trade was terrible, it set the Knicks back years by not letting Ewings contract go ONE MORE YEAR and letting it run out.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
6/11/2005  2:34 PM
The Spree trade was GREAT!
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/11/2005  4:11 PM
Camby was the MVP for us in the 99 playoffs. While Houston was close second with the last second shot and big scoring performances. Camby stepping up in dominating fashion after Ewing went down saved us.

Mason for LJ was huge down the line in the 99 run as well. LJ with his pump fakes would allways draw doubles and was a very good passer and he would guard guys on the perimeter or down low in the post. He was the perfect compliment to Camby. And he extended his game out to 3 point range.

Spree was another reason why we made it to the finals. He would guard the opponents best players on the perimeter and was just an explosive player for us at that time. He added another dimesion and fit in perfectly as a compliment skill wise to the guard around him. Only if he was a natural SF with a SF body.

Everyone one of those guys made a huge impact on that team. I would say Camby was the best trade though because if we didn't trade him for Denver he would still be filling in a huge need for us right now. And if he was here last 2 seasons we make the playoffs and get out of the first rd. LJ & Spree wouldn't last as long as Camby since he was younger.

If you break it down though all these moves are so called Starphucking moves. LJ a known star, Spree a known star, Camby #2 pick 2 or 3 seasons before. They just worked out. If they didn't work out the GM would be getting ripped. Thats the difference between having a vision and not I guess. If LJ & Camby's injury problems both made them miss a ton of games and we don't make that run. And If Spree after he choked PJ didn't make the turn around. Then the GM would be getting ripped for making stupid trades. If Marbury-Crawford-TT-Muhammad all stepped there games up Isiah would be praised for having a vision. Isiah getting ridiculed is warranted because they didn't work out so far that the nature of the buisness. But its a thin line.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
6/11/2005  4:20 PM
The Spree trade and the Marbury trade. They're the two best players we had after Ewing. I'd put the Camby trade up there except for two reasons. Camby had too much down time, and we gave up more to get him.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/11/2005  6:25 PM
we didnt give up too much for camby, oak was DONE when we got camby for him.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/11/2005  6:28 PM
the fact that Camby spent most of the time injured makes the Spree & cartwright for Oakley trades better. but I'd still put the camby trade 3rd followed by the LJ trade
what was the best knicks trade since '90?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy