Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/10/2005  6:20 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by VDesai:

I agree with BRIGGS...what kind of 260 lbs is this if he was playing at 230 just months ago. I'm not convinced that this is a strong player who plays strong. That's just not what I saw out of him for years. He was always a very average big man. Good a little bit of everything, not great at anything and certainly not strong or intimidating. He's never been much of a rebounder, and I never really saw him call for the ball or really dominate a game until he did last year in the tournament? Was that enough to sell him to me? He defintiely opened my eyes a bit more but I'm still not convinced this guy is a top 10 player.

I still see this guy as a Lorenzen Wright type of center...has some skills, is serviceable, looks the part....a guy who can give you 12-8-1 but not a star. That's cool, but I think we need to draft a guy who can be a star in the top 10. If Bynum/Splitter/Petro etc. are not worthy of pick 8, then don't reach for a big man like Frye. Go ahead and draft Webster/WRight etc. and take 6'10" Ronny Turiaf at 30 who always struck me as playing bigger and tougher than Frye.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/10/2005 14:45:18]
If Frye can defend the paint and give us 12-8 and 2, thats really all we could ask for from that position. There are no stars at Center, except for maybe Boggut. We wanted guys like Steven hunter, Gadzuric, Chandler, he's probably as good as those guys on defense, and probably better on Offense in his first year.

I'll sign a center for the MLE who can give me those numbers. give me green, wright, webster or graham anyday!
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
USA
6/10/2005  6:23 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I could see Frye being a 20 point scorer in this league. He can really put the ball in the hoop. He's got a great jumper, he's great filling the lane in transition and does well with garbage points. When he's comfortable asking the KTs, Etan Thomas, Eddie Curry, hell, about 2/3 of the centers in the league guarding him will have a hard time. He can draw out bigmen with his jumper and has good moves around the hoop. He's a long guy also... I think he's got a 7'4 wingspan. MAybe he just needs more of a challenge... who knows.

No frickin way Fish! if he was that good he would go in the top 3! Heck even Zo couldn't average 20 and I'm pretty sure he was a high draft pick.

Frye will put up 12 & 8 or 15 & 9 at best
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  6:25 PM
Id much rather take either Graham, Granger, Wright at 8 and save pick 30 for Eric Williams. Personally even though Channing is 2 inches taller, Eric Williams, to me is WAY better, way better athlete, 10 times stronger, nba body etc.. I dont mind picking up an undersized C that reminds me a great deal of eddie curry, who cares-eddie curry is 6-10-6-11 and eric is about 6-9. eric lead the whole ac in FG % and is INTIMIDATING, probably the most under-rated player in the draft because you rarely hear his name, but again today 18 points 7 rebounds 2 blocks. the guy is just a good player is vERY athletic for his size and proven in the ACC

Id rather get powerfully built athletes with skills and toughness then a guy who may be 6-11 but im just doubting on his frame and toughness

RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/10/2005  6:27 PM
it's weird b/c to me, channing frye is a VERY laydenish pick. that gives me the willies.

tom said it perfectly, let's not go for a double, let's try to swing for the fences and draft bynum.
gunsnewing
USA
6/10/2005  6:33 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Id much rather take either Graham, Granger, Wright at 8 and save pick 30 for Eric Williams. Personally even though Channing is 2 inches taller, Eric Williams, to me is WAY better, way better athlete, 10 times stronger, nba body etc.. I dont mind picking up an undersized C that reminds me a great deal of eddie curry, who cares-eddie curry is 6-10-6-11 and eric is about 6-9. eric lead the whole ac in FG % and is INTIMIDATING, probably the most under-rated player in the draft because you rarely hear his name, but again today 18 points 7 rebounds 2 blocks. the guy is just a good player is vERY athletic for his size and proven in the ACC

Id rather get powerfully built athletes with skills and toughness then a guy who may be 6-11 but im just doubting on his frame and toughness

I agree I think thats the route we should go unless Isiah thinks Bynum is going to be a 18/10/2 center. Take one of those wing guys and at 30 draft the best frontcourt player regardless of height blatch, williams, simien, diogu, morris, Turiaf, Akindale. Any of those guys can contribute. And try to nab a foreign 7ft center that no one knows anything about at 54.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/10/2005 19:38:54]
djsunyc
6/10/2005  6:36 PM
isiah really needs to get another pick in the teens.

imagine we come out with wright, warrick, and BPA @ #30.

ariza, wright, warrick is one CRAZY athletic 2/3 combo that will force teams to adjust to us.
gunsnewing
USA
6/10/2005  6:39 PM
oh and we can still try to acquire Illgaukus. I much rather go that route and draft Wright and Eric than take Frye so high. But I have a bad feeling Z is going to take Frye since he overrates the team he built so much and thinks they're only a center away but we'll see. Surprise me Zeke!
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
6/10/2005  6:54 PM
My stance this whole time from the beginning has been to NOT take Channing Frye at 8. I'm happy that Channing put on some weight with Tim Grover but I don't think he's going to keep that 260 pound frame, its just not his body type. Frye was DECENT in college, everyone please remember that Lute Olsen has NEVER ONCE produced a good bigman into the NBA, there have been many that have the same exact mold as Channing and not one of them has done it at the pro level even though they were upper-tier college players. Channing will have a decent NBA career, could be a decent starting center but I see him more as a role player in the NBA who puts up 10/6 off the bench and maybe 13/9 while starting, too me thats not #8 draft pick material.

Give me Bynum, Antoine Wright, Webster, Granger at #8 and then with 30 go from there. The big man to look out for is Randolph Morris, I've seen a few people bringing him up in recent days, I was high on this guy 1 month ago before the camps started. He has a great Center NBA body and he's coming into the draft as a raw Freshman, but he has great rebounding and defensive skills, the shot needs work but what centers doesnt.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  7:04 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by BRIGGS:

I agree I think thats the route we should go unless Isiah thinks Bynum is going to be a 18/10/2 center. Take one of those wing guys and at 30 draft the best frontcourt player regardless of height blatch, williams, simien, diogu, morris, Akindale. Any of those guys can contribute. And try to nab a foreign 7ft center that no one knows anything about at 54.

the reality is they probably will not take Bynum at 8. One thing people dont realize is Marbury has a LOT of wear and tear in his 10 yr career already. History tells us he has 2-3 years at this level and then BANG. So to justify all this cash he spewed around, he wont take a HS kid, even if the upside is sky high.
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
6/10/2005  7:09 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

One thing people dont realize is Marbury has a LOT of wear and tear in his 10 yr career already. History tells us he has 2-3 years at this level and then BANG. So to justify all this cash he spewed around, he wont take a HS kid, even if the upside is sky high.

this was a big fear of mine when way back i posed a question on whether we need to surround marbury with horses or if he's just the stop-gap player while we really build our team.

i think he has 2-3 years MAX at a high level. this isn't like iverson. iverson is tough but he's not stocky. he's a lightweight and those type of players last longer than a bull like marbury.
Memo to the Frye haters....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy