[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Memo to the Frye haters....
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/10/2005  3:55 PM
we never once have seen the Knicks feed Sweetney in the post for any duration. The guy does one thing well and thats score under the bucket. So its logical the Knicks dont have him in paint. Instead he's chasing guards on the perimeter and picking up stupid fouls.

I still think Sweetney has great potential. He will nedd to adjust his body but the signs were there.

Here's another problem with our organization. He was drafted at 20 years old and in 2 years has had 3 coaches.

8.5 and 5.5 and 53% FGs along with getting to the line in 20 minutes is pretty good for a 2nd year player. Thats 21 points and 13 rebs per 48 minutes, and again he's not getting touches in the post. Instead now we have Mo Taylor for that. UGGG
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  4:00 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by BRIGGS:

well Im open to anything reasonable. Remember, the lasting impression of Channing Frye for FOUR years was one of a 230 pound man who shied away from contact. As good as Frye looked against the 6-6 230 Roger Powell in the NCAA final 4, he legitmiately looked just as bad 2 months before being shoved around blantantly be the 245 pound Bogut. But there is no doubt that he has great offensive skills, the question being we he be able to hold position at 230 something? If he has legitimately put on that much weight, yet it hasnt effected his athletic abilities, then a reasonable man person will say that he is a reasonable choice for us. But in fairness, the lasting impression of 4 years is one most people equate with Frye. Its sounds almost impossible to weigh 235 for 4 years when you have every opportunity to use the weight room, amnd then all of a sudden you are a diesel 260?
To be fair Briggs, the same could be said for a young man showing up at a HS all star game over 300 pounds, and losing weight rapidly to just look decent for workouts.

You are talking about a huge, huge kid with chubby weight. Anyone that big will have to have a good work ethich and a smart diet. I mean Shaq went to lSU at 260 and weighed 375 with the Lakers. I still expect Andrew to grow in height for awhile and with the work ethic and a balanced diet, he should stay in a proper weight. Im sure the only thing a 17 year old know and cares about is 2 Whoppers a fry onion rings and a coke, in his case maybe 4 whoppers. think back to when you were 17. come on, the healthiest thing i probably ate were potatoe gems
RIP Crushalot😞
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/10/2005  4:04 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

[quote]Posted by Pharzeone:

[quote]Posted by BRIGGS:

You are talking about a huge, huge kid with chubby weight. Anyone that big will have to have a good work ethich and a smart diet. I mean Shaq went to lSU at 260 and weighed 375 with the Lakers. I still expect Andrew to grow in height for awhile and with the work ethic and a balanced diet, he should stay in a proper weight. Im sure the only thing a 17 year old know and cares about is 2 Whoppers a fry onion rings and a coke, in his case maybe 4 whoppers. think back to when you were 17. come on, the healthiest thing i probably ate were potatoe gems
Ahh... 2 Whoopers, fried onion rings, a sweet coke. ah...ah... Can I have cheese on mine.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
BRIGGS
6/10/2005  4:08 PM
looks like Chad Ford is on the payroll. Same article about a C from AZ who has the same negatives with the same exact content--gained 20 pounds, moves great, driving into the lottery, those fears he played soft are gone

question where is loren woods?
RIP Crushalot😞
Pharzeone
6/10/2005  4:08 PM
Posted by fishmike:

we never once have seen the Knicks feed Sweetney in the post for any duration. The guy does one thing well and thats score under the bucket. So its logical the Knicks dont have him in paint. Instead he's chasing guards on the perimeter and picking up stupid fouls.

I still think Sweetney has great potential. He will nedd to adjust his body but the signs were there.

Here's another problem with our organization. He was drafted at 20 years old and in 2 years has had 3 coaches.

8.5 and 5.5 and 53% FGs along with getting to the line in 20 minutes is pretty good for a 2nd year player. Thats 21 points and 13 rebs per 48 minutes, and again he's not getting touches in the post. Instead now we have Mo Taylor for that. UGGG
What Sweetney needs is someone to make him put that cheeseburger down. Hell if Chris Childs and the Big O can be forced to go on diet why not Sweets. Personally if I was him I would walk in 6 pack abs, and muscles abound. He is about to go into the important year 3, where people start to really access how much money you are worth.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  4:09 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by BRIGGS:

well Im open to anything reasonable. Remember, the lasting impression of Channing Frye for FOUR years was one of a 230 pound man who shied away from contact. As good as Frye looked against the 6-6 230 Roger Powell in the NCAA final 4, he legitmiately looked just as bad 2 months before being shoved around blantantly be the 245 pound Bogut. But there is no doubt that he has great offensive skills, the question being we he be able to hold position at 230 something? If he has legitimately put on that much weight, yet it hasnt effected his athletic abilities, then a reasonable man person will say that he is a reasonable choice for us. But in fairness, the lasting impression of 4 years is one most people equate with Frye. Its sounds almost impossible to weigh 235 for 4 years when you have every opportunity to use the weight room, amnd then all of a sudden you are a diesel 260?
To be fair Briggs, the same could be said for a young man showing up at a HS all star game over 300 pounds, and losing weight rapidly to just look decent for workouts.

I gues it boils down to whether you thik its easier for someone to keep their weight down than it is to keep it up. Bynum is obviously bigger, and coyuld probably be better at center heavy than Frye would be light. But Frye has polished skills and Bynum has developing skills.

Also there are rail thin bigs who play well in the league, Marcus Camby is one who comes to mind.
Pharzeone
6/10/2005  4:11 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

looks like Chad Ford is on the payroll. Same article about a C from AZ who has the same negatives with the same exact content--gained 20 pounds, moves great, driving into the lottery, those fears he played soft are gone

That's pretty funny. You should send that over to ESPN.
Chad uses templates to write about investigating coverage. I am shock!!
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/10/2005  4:12 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

here this article will atleast bring soem balance to this article--this looks like the same darn article, but it's about Loren Woods, yes Loren Woods the softie from AZ who peopl had the same complaints about--some times you have to seperate hype from reality. I do know that Andrew Bynum truly is 7-1 282 with real C features. I know that Channing is more polished, but at the end of the day, take out the hype, i dont think its a close compariosn LONG term. One is a C one is a tweener who is taking supplemenst like Woods did and Jared Jefferies did, although i still think Frye has a nice offensive game, I dont see the ceiling anywhere near bynum----->

Additional Information
Count Arizona's Loren Woods among those whose draft stock is on the rise. After an impressive private workout Friday in Chicago several teams are beginning to buzz about Loren Woods. Woods, who has been in a vigorous workout program this spring has been adding muscle to his lanky frame. According to his agent, Matt Muehlebach, Woods has added 20 pounds to his frame since we last saw him in the Final Four. Woods now reportedly weighs 250 pounds.

That's good news for teams who have worried about whether Woods can survive the physical nature of the NBA game. Woods reportedly shot the ball extremely well in workouts and his added bulk is making teams give him a second look. One GM. whose team is in the lottery, told Insider that Woods might really rise on draft boards in the next two weeks. "He was a projected top 5 pick last year, he played well in the tournament this year, he's 7'1" and is now showing the ability to bulk up," the GM told Insider. "When the smoke clears, he might sneak right back up into the top 10. I don't think he'll slip past Boston. If things keep going well the next two weeks, he may go as high as 6."

"A lot of people would die to be in the position I'm in," Woods said. "So I'm not by any means saying I had a rough year. It's just unfortunate that because I had some ups and downs this year, (people say) I can't play. I'm a way better player than I was last year, and last year I would have gone in the top five if I had gone to the draft."

Chad Ford - Sportstalk.com (June 12th

The comparison is there in body type and size and the school, but I think Frye has a more mentally tough approach to the game and plays with more grit. Also, Woods played on a far more talented team (Richard Jefferson and Arenas were there), which probably helped get him more open looks and pump up his scoring numbers. Woods and Frye also score differently, with Frye being far more lethal in the pick and pop. Woods also suffered multiple back injuries which sapped him of mobility and knocked him down into the second round.

College numbers are weird, they depend on a lot of things: the system the guys is in, the quality of his teammates (i.e. is he getting double teamed, or is he getting open looks).

Look at this guy:
MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
93-94 21.9 49.4 0.0 59.6 6.4 1.2 1.7 3.6 0.6 10.2
94-95 22.6 55.0 100.0 64.3 6.2 1.2 1.8 3.4 0.8 13.9
95-96 30.6 47.7 0.0 70.0 8.2 1.8 2.5 3.9 1.0 20.5
---
TOTAL 25.3 50.1 7.7 66.1 7.0 1.4 2.0 3.7 0.8 15.1

Total: 15.1ppg, 7.0rpg, 3.7bpg

His career numbers look similar to Frye's, right (minus the blocks, Frye isn't as athletic as Camby)? Not such a good rebounder in school, right? You know whose numbers they are: Marcus Camby from Umass. But Marcus played with Lou Roe, who, while a great college player, was a 6'3" PF. Camby was constantly double-teamed to hold him off the boards. I didn't see enough Frye games to know if this was the case, but I think Camby's numbers prove sometimes rebounding numbers aren't the full story in and of themselves - especially in Div 1 NCAA BB.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/10/2005 16:15:20]
¿ △ ?
Masterplan
Member: #362
6/10/2005  4:16 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

here this article will atleast bring soem balance to this article--this looks like the same darn article, but it's about Loren Woods, yes Loren Woods the softie from AZ who peopl had the same complaints about--some times you have to seperate hype from reality. I do know that Andrew Bynum truly is 7-1 282 with real C features. I know that Channing is more polished, but at the end of the day, take out the hype, i dont think its a close compariosn LONG term. One is a C one is a tweener who is taking supplemenst like Woods did and Jared Jefferies did, although i still think Frye has a nice offensive game, I dont see the ceiling anywhere near bynum----->

Additional Information
Count Arizona's Loren Woods among those whose draft stock is on the rise. After an impressive private workout Friday in Chicago several teams are beginning to buzz about Loren Woods. Woods, who has been in a vigorous workout program this spring has been adding muscle to his lanky frame. According to his agent, Matt Muehlebach, Woods has added 20 pounds to his frame since we last saw him in the Final Four. Woods now reportedly weighs 250 pounds.

That's good news for teams who have worried about whether Woods can survive the physical nature of the NBA game. Woods reportedly shot the ball extremely well in workouts and his added bulk is making teams give him a second look. One GM. whose team is in the lottery, told Insider that Woods might really rise on draft boards in the next two weeks. "He was a projected top 5 pick last year, he played well in the tournament this year, he's 7'1" and is now showing the ability to bulk up," the GM told Insider. "When the smoke clears, he might sneak right back up into the top 10. I don't think he'll slip past Boston. If things keep going well the next two weeks, he may go as high as 6."

"A lot of people would die to be in the position I'm in," Woods said. "So I'm not by any means saying I had a rough year. It's just unfortunate that because I had some ups and downs this year, (people say) I can't play. I'm a way better player than I was last year, and last year I would have gone in the top five if I had gone to the draft."

that is totally uncanny. still, frye is pretty much guaranteed to go in the first round, woods fell deep into the second so i'd guess frye is a level or two above woods.
BRIGGS
6/10/2005  4:20 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by BRIGGS:

you know I dont go by these write ups and mocks. I dont believe Channing frye is Loren woods, but like I said, Channing frye could equal a finese bust. I just dont want to go down like that. id rather wait with a real C who measures 7 feet in socks,huge features, very nice athletiscm and who has burgeoning skills and developing at a tremendous pace.

Let say the upside on frye is 14-15 points 7-8 reb 2 blocks

Ill say the upside with andrew is 23-12-3.5
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
6/10/2005  4:28 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

[quote]Posted by BRIGGS:

Additional Information

The comparison is there in body type and size and the school, but I think Frye has a more mentally tough approach to the game and plays with more grit. Also, Woods played on a far more talented team (Richard Jefferson and Arenas were there), which probably helped get him more open looks and pump up his scoring numbers. Woods and Frye also score differently, with Frye being far more lethal in the pick and pop. Woods also suffered multiple back injuries which sapped him of mobility and knocked him down into the second round.

College numbers are weird, they depend on a lot of things: the system the guys is in, the quality of his teammates (i.e. is he getting double teamed, or is he getting open looks).

Look at this guy:
MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
93-94 21.9 49.4 0.0 59.6 6.4 1.2 1.7 3.6 0.6 10.2
94-95 22.6 55.0 100.0 64.3 6.2 1.2 1.8 3.4 0.8 13.9
95-96 30.6 47.7 0.0 70.0 8.2 1.8 2.5 3.9 1.0 20.5
---
TOTAL 25.3 50.1 7.7 66.1 7.0 1.4 2.0 3.7 0.8 15.1

Total: 15.1ppg, 7.0rpg, 3.7bpg

His career numbers look similar to Frye's, right (minus the blocks, Frye isn't as athletic as Camby)? Not such a good rebounder in school, right? You know whose numbers they are: Marcus Camby from Umass. But Marcus played with Lou Roe, who, while a great college player, was a 6'3" PF. Camby was constantly double-teamed to hold him off the boards. I didn't see enough Frye games to know if this was the case, but I think Camby's numbers prove sometimes rebounding numbers aren't the full story in and of themselves - especially in Div 1 NCAA BB.

Well, Marcus, to me, was a much more longer player. I mean when Marcus Camby was a junior, Umass played a zone and teams literally could not get shots at the basket because Marcus either altered them or blocked them. marcus Camby was an absolute dominating college player in his junior year, forget any stats, teams feared to take it inside. Did teams fear Channing frye?
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
USA
6/10/2005  4:28 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by BRIGGS:

you know I dont go by these write ups and mocks. I dont believe Channing frye is Loren woods, but like I said, Channing frye could equal a finese bust. I just dont want to go down like that. id rather wait with a real C who measures 7 feet in socks,huge features, very nice athletiscm and who has burgeoning skills and developing at a tremendous pace.

a) Loren Woods had surgery on his back two times in college, sapping him of his leaping ability.

b) what's the time frame on the Bynum upside? Those look like Ewing numbers and Ewing was one of the premier college players of all-time. I just don't know how you can project that. Colleges get top recruits all the time that don't pan out, and they're often bigs. It's so tough to forecast a big man. I'm with you on Bynum having potential, but unless he blows Zeke away next week, I don't think there's a chance we draft him.

There's also something to be said for young big men being embarassed and ridiculed and getting dunked on which destroys their confidence and slows their development. Tyson Chandler took four years to develop, and he's not even a start yet. Curry and Kwame have had four years and still are not developed. Dwight Howard is the only exception so far, and he has a very strong family behind him and he's playing in a low pressure environment, not New York City.

I think you have to be more realistic about the Bynum projections. Could he be posting those numbers in 10 years, when he's 27? Sure. In three years? I HIGHLY doubt that.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
6/10/2005  4:31 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Well, Marcus, to me, was a much more longer player. I mean when Marcus Camby was a junior, Umass played a zone and teams literally could not get shots at the basket because Marcus either altered them or blocked them. marcus Camby was an absolute dominating college player in his junior year, forget any stats, teams feared to take it inside. Did teams fear Channing frye?

Fear him or not, they both got to the Elite Eight. I watched a lot of Camby in college, one of my favorite players ever, I saw him in a high school game at my school against the best team we ever had and he killed us. My point was, as good as Camby was, he didn't rebound in school. You've said you were concerned that someone of Frye's size should be grabbing 12 boards or more. Well, it doesn't always work that way.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
6/10/2005  4:59 PM
i dont think he will be a bust like loren woods and hope for the best, but this doesnt have me jumping in my undies.
RIP Crushalot😞
Pharzeone
6/10/2005  5:08 PM
Does anyone else notice how Chad, give this line "while many projected him to go top 5 next year."? He used that with everyone he likes. Lampe, Pavel, Splitter, etc., etc. Everybody is top 5 next year.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  5:08 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by BRIGGS:

a) Loren Woods had surgery on his back two times in college, sapping him of his leaping ability.

b) what's the time frame on the Bynum upside? Those look like Ewing numbers and Ewing was one of the premier college players of all-time. I just don't know how you can project that. Colleges get top recruits all the time that don't pan out, and they're often bigs. It's so tough to forecast a big man. I'm with you on Bynum having potential, but unless he blows Zeke away next week, I don't think there's a chance we draft him.

There's also something to be said for young big men being embarassed and ridiculed and getting dunked on which destroys their confidence and slows their development. Tyson Chandler took four years to develop, and he's not even a start yet. Curry and Kwame have had four years and still are not developed. Dwight Howard is the only exception so far, and he has a very strong family behind him and he's playing in a low pressure environment, not New York City.

I think you have to be more realistic about the Bynum projections. Could he be posting those numbers in 10 years, when he's 27? Sure. In three years? I HIGHLY doubt that.
I have to agree with you here. I also think the likliehood that he becomes better increases with time in college. Skipping college altogether seems like a tremendous leap to me, that could cost him valuable experience and development.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
6/10/2005  5:18 PM
I haven't seen enough of Frye to bash him or praise him. When I did see him play, I thought he was a little soft and I'm not sure if he will be strong enough to physically compete with other centers in the NBA. If he does get stronger, or if he already did get stronger, I think he can be a pretty good player. I wouldn't be thrilled if we picked him, but I wouldn't be pissed either. Its a safe pick and I think everyone understands that.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
tomverve
Member: #878
6/10/2005  5:33 PM
The Woods/Frye parallels are troubling. IIRC, though, Woods had a reputation for being more than a bit of a headcase, no? Whereas Frye seems to have passed Isiah's psychological evaluation.

I'm not really enthused by Frye. But if he could become a solid, 2nd tier center, he might be just as valuable as a borderline-AS SF. All things being equal, though, I'd rather swing for a homer with Bynum (or even one of the swings like Granger or Webster) than go for a double with Frye. Given how trade and FA prospects look bleak in the near future, we need to try to use the draft to get one of the true upper echelon players. Besides, even in best case trade and FA scenarios, it's rare to acquire the cream of the crop. You usually have to draft them.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/10/2005  5:52 PM
Frye is mentally stronger than Woods, who was quite flaky, but this is not a guy who screams intense or agressive. He's no where close to where Camby was as far as intensity and shotblocking ability. Camby literally carried a very average team on his back for an entire year at UMASS. I'm not sure why we are canonizing Frye's shotblocking ability now either. He's pretty good...slightly above average, but this wasn't a guy who changed games defensively with his shotblocking. Andrew Bogut blocked less shots but I think he was more of a deterrent from drives to the basket over the course of the year than Frye.

He does a lot of things well, but I just don't see anything out of Frye that makes him jump out at me as a top 10 talent.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/10/2005 17:53:38]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/10/2005  6:19 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Sure those numbers are serviceable. But do you really want to get only a serviceable guy with the top 10 pick? I sure as hell don't...I'd rather skip the center need and move on to Wright, webster, Granger etc, who in reality could help us more down the line than a "serviceable" big.

To me taking Frye in the top 10 is like playing for the tie rather than playing for the win.

exactly. If Bynum is too much of a project we have to go that route! I don't think Frye is anything more than a Nesterovic type player, maybe slightly better. I rather take Wright, Webster, Graham, Granger or hopefully Green who can become allstars and go on to average 20+ points over a 12 & 8 Center.

Now if Isiah projects Bynum putting up 18 & 10 down the road than he'll draft him.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 06/10/2005 18:55:10]
Memo to the Frye haters....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy