[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Memo to the Frye haters....
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/10/2005  2:19 PM
I still think this kid has a future in the league. He's up to 260, filling out his shoulders. He knows how to play. He'd be a perfect fit with Steph on the pick and roll. Zeke said the Knicks need to get a center and a shooting guard in the draft. I think it's safe to say the Frye will be the best center available to the Knicks in the draft - at least for the next three years.

I think that the inevitability of the lockout hurts the chances of a Bynum pick. How are you going to get a high school player ready for the league without Summer Camp? I think asking Bynum to come into camp when the lockout ends in like October would be a DISASTER. Who knows if he'll gain that weight back? He's 17! There's no telling how his body will react to losing weight like that, or if he's just laying off the cheeseburgers to get his lotto contract. Not saying he's lazy, but a long slow summer with nothing to do after being drafted and having worked you ass off for three months, it's natural he might slack a little with the Knicks brass not being allowed to legally have contact with him.

To me, Frye is a better option with his work ethic and the polish on his game. Bynum COULD be fine, but he could also balloon up to 300 and have conditioning issues that set him back a year...

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/magazine/magBlog?id=2039748

Frye is draft's high-riser

A few months ago scouts were talking about Arizona's Channing Frye as a late first-round pick.
A few weeks ago, they dramatically changed course, calling him a likely top-10 pick in the NBA draft.

How could he rise so high in such a short time? I went back to Tim Grover's ATTACK Athletics on Friday morning to see for myself.

Frye simply looked awesome. He's put on 10 pounds of muscle since he started training with Grover. Most of it is in his shoulders and chest. Now weighing a legit 260 and measuring 6-foot-11 in shoes, Frye now looks the part of a center.

On the court, he was even more impressive. He's improved his explosiveness the last few months and is now springing off the floor. Laterally, he's very quick and moves effortlessly around the court.

He showed off an impressive array of basketball skills. He has an excellent jump shot and has extended his range out to the college 3-point line. He gets great lift on his jumper and should be murder on the pick and pop. He's especially impressive with his accuracy on stepbacks and fadeaways.

Frye has a soft touch around the basket. He also showed some great footwork. He used his quickness to spin away from defenders on the baseline and also showed a nice little baby hook.

The bottom line is that he should be able to score in the League.

Whatever knocks there are against Frye weren't evident in his workout. Scouts have questioned Frye's toughness and aggresiveness at Arizona. I think he dispelled some of that in the NCAA Tournament.

Any team that brings him in (his agent Rob Pelinka is being very selective in for whom Frye works out) is going to be impressed.

For a team looking for a skilled, athletic big man with shotblocking skills, you're not going to get a prospect better than Frye. That's why he's moved up to the top 10. It's tough to imagine the Knicks, Warriors and Lakers all passing on him.
posted: June 10, 2005 10:56:01 AM PDT | Feedback

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/10/2005 14:19:35]
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
Masterplan
Member: #362
6/10/2005  2:24 PM
getting really athletic bigs is a must, but another side to it is, if we get a PF or C who can pop a jump shot, it makes KT totally expendable. the one reason i would be hesitant to let him go is that he does add a good bit to our offense. if we can find a young guy with that J in addition to athleticism, shotblocking, etc, we can wave bye-bye to kurt. frye may be a really good fit for our frontcourt if he can move into that kind of role in our O.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  2:26 PM
Damn. Sounds pretty impressive, lets see if he's the guy. There really was never a question about him being able to come in and play now, but there was a question about how much he'd be able to do. If he can block shots and hit the 16 footer, and rebound, I wouldn't be mad about that.
crzymdups
USA
6/10/2005  2:26 PM
I still see Frye as a sort of Tyson Chandling defender/shotblocker/rebounder with KT's offensive game, so I think that's an accurate assesment.

EDIT: he would also be a good fit to play with Sweetney and Malik Rose. His size will allow them to just snatch rebounds.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/10/2005 14:28:48]

[Edited by - crzymdups on 06/10/2005 14:29:32]
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/10/2005  2:30 PM
to be fair I dont think anyone has really dogged him. Briggs who is Bynum's poster boy even said he would be good. I think the concensus among those who dont want to draft him is he doesnt have a hig ceiling that some of the other guys have.

I would be ok with picking him. Brad Miller went undrafted. You just dont know. Who's to say Frye wasnt just hampered a bit in his CBB system and is looking to break out and get nasty.

I think a fair upside is Brad Daugherty. A very good player. Not going to carry a team but a solid core player.

I would be happy with any plan. If we moved up to grab Hodge and say drafted
8 Channing Frye
19 Hodge (from Memphis for 30+54+$1mm)

I think thats a solid draft also
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  2:33 PM
well Im open to anything reasonable. Remember, the lasting impression of Channing Frye for FOUR years was one of a 230 pound man who shied away from contact. As good as Frye looked against the 6-6 230 Roger Powell in the NCAA final 4, he legitmiately looked just as bad 2 months before being shoved around blantantly be the 245 pound Bogut. But there is no doubt that he has great offensive skills, the question being we he be able to hold position at 230 something? If he has legitimately put on that much weight, yet it hasnt effected his athletic abilities, then a reasonable man person will say that he is a reasonable choice for us. But in fairness, the lasting impression of 4 years is one most people equate with Frye. Its sounds almost impossible to weigh 235 for 4 years when you have every opportunity to use the weight room, amnd then all of a sudden you are a diesel 260?
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
6/10/2005  2:33 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I still see Frye as a sort of Tyson Chandling defender/shotblocker/rebounder with KT's offensive game, so I think that's an accurate assesment.

EDIT: he would also be a good fit to play with Sweetney and Malik Rose. His size will allow them to just snatch rebounds.
I was just thinking that this is a good well balanced team:
Marbury 28
Hodge 6'6 22
Ariza 6'8 20
Sweetney 6'8 23
Frye 6'11
With Crawford, Butler (resign?) and maybe a guy like Steven Hunter. Thats a very good job by Isiah IMO. Maybe not spectacular but it represents a solid plan
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/10/2005  2:44 PM
I agree with BRIGGS...what kind of 260 lbs is this if he was playing at 230 just months ago. I'm not convinced that this is a strong player who plays strong. That's just not what I saw out of him for years. He was always a very average big man. Good a little bit of everything, not great at anything and certainly not strong or intimidating. He's never been much of a rebounder, and I never really saw him call for the ball or really dominate a game until he did last year in the tournament? Was that enough to sell him to me? He defintiely opened my eyes a bit more but I'm still not convinced this guy is a top 10 player.

I still see this guy as a Lorenzen Wright type of center...has some skills, is serviceable, looks the part....a guy who can give you 12-8-1 but not a star. That's cool, but I think we need to draft a guy who can be a star in the top 10. If Bynum/Splitter/Petro etc. are not worthy of pick 8, then don't reach for a big man like Frye. Go ahead and draft Webster/WRight etc. and take 6'10" Ronny Turiaf at 30 who always struck me as playing bigger and tougher than Frye.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/10/2005 14:45:18]
fishmike
USA
6/10/2005  2:51 PM

He is working out with the right guy. Grover is easily the best in the business
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  2:53 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I agree with BRIGGS...what kind of 260 lbs is this if he was playing at 230 just months ago. I'm not convinced that this is a strong player who plays strong. That's just not what I saw out of him for years. He was always a very average big man. Good a little bit of everything, not great at anything and certainly not strong or intimidating. He's never been much of a rebounder, and I never really saw him call for the ball or really dominate a game until he did last year in the tournament? Was that enough to sell him to me? He defintiely opened my eyes a bit more but I'm still not convinced this guy is a top 10 player.

I still see this guy as a Lorenzen Wright type of center...has some skills, is serviceable, looks the part....a guy who can give you 12-8-1 but not a star. That's cool, but I think we need to draft a guy who can be a star in the top 10. If Bynum/Splitter/Petro etc. are not worthy of pick 8, then don't reach for a big man like Frye. Go ahead and draft Webster/WRight etc. and take 6'10" Ronny Turiaf at 30 who always struck me as playing bigger and tougher than Frye.

[Edited by - VDesai on 06/10/2005 14:45:18]
If Frye can defend the paint and give us 12-8 and 2, thats really all we could ask for from that position. There are no stars at Center, except for maybe Boggut. We wanted guys like Steven hunter, Gadzuric, Chandler, he's probably as good as those guys on defense, and probably better on Offense in his first year.
crzymdups
USA
6/10/2005  2:56 PM
Fish, I don't think reasonable people like you or Briggs were dogging Frye, but some others have definitely been harping on him. And I don't think he played at 235 during his senior year. I'd say 240, 245 is more accurate. If we're going to question him adding muscle since he's had the chance to hire a pro trainer, then we aren't we questioning Bynum's weight loss over the same period aka March to now? Just a question.

The thing about Frye is I don't think scoring will even be a question with Marbury setting him up with drive and dish and pick and pop situations. I see him scoring 15ppg easily. I see him blocking 2 shots a game easily as well. Obviously, rebounding is a big question. Can he hold position? Can he use his size and athleticism to sky for rebounds? I think he can easily average 9, maybe have a higher ceiling. Don't forget, Brad Miller only averaged 8 or 9 boards for a few years before learning the game better.

I think 15ppg, 9rpg and 2bpg wouldn't be out of the question by year two for Frye, and I could see him doing that consistantly in the second half of year one. He has a tremendous work ethic, plays smart and did step up in the tournament. He also played with some very shoot first guards in college, who shot from the outside leading to a lot of long rebounds and less scoring/offensive rebounds opportunities.

Now, for me, the big question is: is he a better choice than the high caliber wings like Graham, Wright, Granger and Warrick? Is he a better fit for the team? I agree with Fish that he and Hodge (who may even be there at 30), are great fits for this team and the style of play Isiah talks about. I'm not sure how his upside equates to a guy like Wright. But does this team need a Brad Miller/ Tyson Chandler type or does it need a Joe Johnson/ Tracy McGrady type? Give me the Brad Miller type.
¿ △ ?
VDesai
USA
6/10/2005  2:56 PM
Sure those numbers are serviceable. But do you really want to get only a serviceable guy with the top 10 pick? I sure as hell don't...I'd rather skip the center need and move on to Wright, webster, Granger etc, who in reality could help us more down the line than a "serviceable" big.

To me taking Frye in the top 10 is like playing for the tie rather than playing for the win.
crzymdups
USA
6/10/2005  3:03 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Sure those numbers are serviceable. But do you really want to get only a serviceable guy with the top 10 pick? I sure as hell don't...I'd rather skip the center need and move on to Wright, webster, Granger etc, who in reality could help us more down the line than a "serviceable" big.

To me taking Frye in the top 10 is like playing for the tie rather than playing for the win.

To me, 15, 9 and 2 at the center position would be great. I'm not even interested in the numbers as much as I would be the opportunity to get someone of size who can play and be a defensive pressence, shotblocker from the weak side.

I agree there may be more of a homerun option for us out there, but picking Frye is not the same as picking Sweetney, this is picking a guy who has the size to play in the league and work ethic to keep growing his game. I mean, who's to say Mark Agguire can't take one look at how he boxes out a guy, give him some tips and improve his rebounding in a few months?

I suppose we'll have to leave it in Zeke's hands.
¿ △ ?
VDesai
USA
6/10/2005  3:09 PM
I was going more of the 12-8-1 I mentioned above, but 15-9-2 of course would be great...not many centers give that to you. I'm not sure Frye is capable of doing that on the NBA level. If you're interested in a guy that could be a defensive presence, might be able to block some shots for you...how about Ronny Turiaf at 30? To me he was more of an intimidating player to go after in college, and definitely a more ferocious rebounder.

It's not that I hate Frye. I would've liked him if we the 9th seed in the playoffs this year and were picking 15 or 16. I just feel we are lot farther away than a serviceable center. A guy who can be a 23-26 ppg scorer down the line on the perimeter would be much more appealing to me.
fishmike
USA
6/10/2005  3:14 PM
I could see Frye being a 20 point scorer in this league. He can really put the ball in the hoop. He's got a great jumper, he's great filling the lane in transition and does well with garbage points. When he's comfortable asking the KTs, Etan Thomas, Eddie Curry, hell, about 2/3 of the centers in the league guarding him will have a hard time. He can draw out bigmen with his jumper and has good moves around the hoop. He's a long guy also... I think he's got a 7'4 wingspan. MAybe he just needs more of a challenge... who knows.
VDesai
USA
6/10/2005  3:15 PM
As far as Sweetney, and this is getting off topic now. ..Sweetney was a far more dominating force in college...even a much better shotblocker than Frye, and showed amazing work ethic with the way he played. I never saw that kind of intensity and workrate from Frye. I'm not sure that's a good comparison at all. Sweetney dominated games and if they were both coming out of college again, Sweetney would certainly be my pick over Frye without thinking twice. Sweetney may have been a "safe" pick in teh sense that he was a finished product, but he was also the best player on the board at the time. I thinkt he only "upside" guy you could make an argument for over Sweetney was Michael Pietrus. Anyway, this is getting off topic.
VDesai
USA
6/10/2005  3:17 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I could see Frye being a 20 point scorer in this league. He can really put the ball in the hoop. He's got a great jumper, he's great filling the lane in transition and does well with garbage points. When he's comfortable asking the KTs, Etan Thomas, Eddie Curry, hell, about 2/3 of the centers in the league guarding him will have a hard time. He can draw out bigmen with his jumper and has good moves around the hoop. He's a long guy also... I think he's got a 7'4 wingspan. MAybe he just needs more of a challenge... who knows.

This is where you guys are seeing something that I'm not seeing. I never saw huge improvement in Frye in his 4 years (he was the same player his junior year that he was his senior year) and with the exception of a couple games in the tournment, I never saw him as an agressive offensive player. 20 ppg? I really can't foresee that. I don't see him having the kind of post up game and strength that 20 ppg centers have. That's my opinion though, and everyone is entitled to their own. I'll gladly eat my words if he turns into a player like that.
crzymdups
USA
6/10/2005  3:32 PM
I don't know if I see 20ppg with the shots that Jamal and Steph eat up, but he certainly has that capability and fits our style of play.

My bringing up Sweetney was meant to point out that, yes, Sweetney had the frame to be dominant in college against smaller guys, but it didn't translate at ALL to the league. He doesn't block ANY shots and his post moves, while great at drawing fouls, are too easily contained. I feel that Frye has a game that will translate well. He's long, big and has a good jumper. PLaying with Marbury will translate to so many open jumpers and pick and pops, he'll be getting MUCH better looks than he ever got in college. Sweetney has the same looks he got in school, but he's playing against bigger, stronger players.

I'm not saying Frye will be a super-star, but I could see him being a Brad Miller level all-star at his height. Two years ago, I was sick to my stomach when they drafted Sweetney, he just screamed Tractor Traylor 2 or Weatherspoon 2. And while I think he might be better than those guys, I still don't think Sweets can be a starter on a good team. I can see Frye being a starter on a good team.
¿ △ ?
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/10/2005  3:46 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

well Im open to anything reasonable. Remember, the lasting impression of Channing Frye for FOUR years was one of a 230 pound man who shied away from contact. As good as Frye looked against the 6-6 230 Roger Powell in the NCAA final 4, he legitmiately looked just as bad 2 months before being shoved around blantantly be the 245 pound Bogut. But there is no doubt that he has great offensive skills, the question being we he be able to hold position at 230 something? If he has legitimately put on that much weight, yet it hasnt effected his athletic abilities, then a reasonable man person will say that he is a reasonable choice for us. But in fairness, the lasting impression of 4 years is one most people equate with Frye. Its sounds almost impossible to weigh 235 for 4 years when you have every opportunity to use the weight room, amnd then all of a sudden you are a diesel 260?
To be fair Briggs, the same could be said for a young man showing up at a HS all star game over 300 pounds, and losing weight rapidly to just look decent for workouts.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  3:52 PM
here this article will atleast bring soem balance to this article--this looks like the same darn article, but it's about Loren Woods, yes Loren Woods the softie from AZ who peopl had the same complaints about--some times you have to seperate hype from reality. I do know that Andrew Bynum truly is 7-1 282 with real C features. I know that Channing is more polished, but at the end of the day, take out the hype, i dont think its a close compariosn LONG term. One is a C one is a tweener who is taking supplemenst like Woods did and Jared Jefferies did, although i still think Frye has a nice offensive game, I dont see the ceiling anywhere near bynum----->

Additional Information
Count Arizona's Loren Woods among those whose draft stock is on the rise. After an impressive private workout Friday in Chicago several teams are beginning to buzz about Loren Woods. Woods, who has been in a vigorous workout program this spring has been adding muscle to his lanky frame. According to his agent, Matt Muehlebach, Woods has added 20 pounds to his frame since we last saw him in the Final Four. Woods now reportedly weighs 250 pounds.

That's good news for teams who have worried about whether Woods can survive the physical nature of the NBA game. Woods reportedly shot the ball extremely well in workouts and his added bulk is making teams give him a second look. One GM. whose team is in the lottery, told Insider that Woods might really rise on draft boards in the next two weeks. "He was a projected top 5 pick last year, he played well in the tournament this year, he's 7'1" and is now showing the ability to bulk up," the GM told Insider. "When the smoke clears, he might sneak right back up into the top 10. I don't think he'll slip past Boston. If things keep going well the next two weeks, he may go as high as 6."

"A lot of people would die to be in the position I'm in," Woods said. "So I'm not by any means saying I had a rough year. It's just unfortunate that because I had some ups and downs this year, (people say) I can't play. I'm a way better player than I was last year, and last year I would have gone in the top five if I had gone to the draft."

Chad Ford - Sportstalk.com (June 12th

RIP Crushalot😞
Memo to the Frye haters....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy