From ESPN Insider on Granger & Warrick
Author Thread
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
6/10/2005  10:30 AM
From Insider's Chad Ford -

After watching Martynas Andriuskevicius workout, I hopped in a cab and made my way over to the best workout of the week, a head-to-head matchup between New Mexico's Danny Granger and Syracuse's Hakim Warrick run by the Charlotte Bobcats.

Both Granger and Warrick looked fantastic in one of the hardest-fought workouts I've seen in a while.

Granger shot the lights out in the skill drills showing great NBA 3-point range. He also showed that he had the athleticism and ball-handling skills to be a great NBA three.

Warrick also showed off that impressive mid-range jumper with great accuracy out to 18 feet. He also showed again that he's one of the quickest and most athletic big guys in the draft. Warrick struggled in the ball-handling drills, but that's not a huge surprise. It's one area of the game he still is working on.

The real fun began when the two played one on one. Granger had clearly read the scouting report on Warrick and laid off him defensively giving him the open jumper. Warrick rose up and hit his first four jumpers forcing Granger to reevaluate his strategy. Once Granger crowded Warrick, he struggled a little. Warrick can cover a lot of ground with his first step, but his ball-handling limitations kept him from getting to the rim. Granger was so quick and physical that Warrick rarely got by him. Instead he was forced to launch fade-away jumpers. Several of them went in, but it was a little disappointing that he couldn't get inside more where his length and jumping ability would've given him a better advantage over Granger.

Granger was great offensively. He did a great job of getting separation and then elevating on his jumper. Warrick had a real quandary in guarding Granger. When he got too close, Granger put it on the floor and drove hard to the basket. When he took a step back, Granger rained down jumpers with great accuracy. Warrick did a good job defensively using his length to bother Granger around the basket, but it was clear he was uncomfortable guarding man to man (Syracuse used zones exclusively). Things got much more physical in the two-on-two games. Warrick dropped Granger to the floor twice. Granger knocked Warrick over several times going for the steal. At the end of the workout, Warrick tried to jump over Granger for a spectacular jam and ended up flattened on his back. Overall, both guys really helped themselves in the workout. Warrick showed his emerging perimeter game, heart and excellent conditioning (contrary to reports in the New York media). Granger showed the total package. Athleticism, a great shot and superior, physical defense. The only knock on Granger before the workout was that he isn't always aggressive enough. He totally dispelled those fears on Thursday. We've had Granger ranked in the top 10 for five months. Don't be surprised if he gets serious consideration by Charlotte at No. 5 if Chris Paul and Deron Williams are off the board.

If Bynum & Graham are gone by the 8th pick, I want Granger!!
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  10:48 AM
Posted by SKY:

After watching Martynas Andriuskevicius workout, I hopped in a cab and made my way over to the best workout of the week, a head-to-head matchup between New Mexico's Danny Granger and Syracuse's Hakim Warrick run by the Charlotte Bobcats.

Both Granger and Warrick looked fantastic in one of the hardest-fought workouts I've seen in a while.

Granger shot the lights out in the skill drills showing great NBA 3-point range. He also showed that he had the athleticism and ball-handling skills to be a great NBA three.

Warrick also showed off that impressive mid-range jumper with great accuracy out to 18 feet. He also showed again that he's one of the quickest and most athletic big guys in the draft. Warrick struggled in the ball-handling drills, but that's not a huge surprise. It's one area of the game he still is working on.

The real fun began when the two played one on one. Granger had clearly read the scouting report on Warrick and laid off him defensively giving him the open jumper. Warrick rose up and hit his first four jumpers forcing Granger to reevaluate his strategy. Once Granger crowded Warrick, he struggled a little. Warrick can cover a lot of ground with his first step, but his ball-handling limitations kept him from getting to the rim. Granger was so quick and physical that Warrick rarely got by him. Instead he was forced to launch fade-away jumpers. Several of them went in, but it was a little disappointing that he couldn't get inside more where his length and jumping ability would've given him a better advantage over Granger.

Granger was great offensively. He did a great job of getting separation and then elevating on his jumper. Warrick had a real quandary in guarding Granger. When he got too close, Granger put it on the floor and drove hard to the basket. When he took a step back, Granger rained down jumpers with great accuracy. Warrick did a good job defensively using his length to bother Granger around the basket, but it was clear he was uncomfortable guarding man to man (Syracuse used zones exclusively). Things got much more physical in the two-on-two games. Warrick dropped Granger to the floor twice. Granger knocked Warrick over several times going for the steal. At the end of the workout, Warrick tried to jump over Granger for a spectacular jam and ended up flattened on his back. Overall, both guys really helped themselves in the workout. Warrick showed his emerging perimeter game, heart and excellent conditioning (contrary to reports in the New York media). Granger showed the total package. Athleticism, a great shot and superior, physical defense. The only knock on Granger before the workout was that he isn't always aggressive enough. He totally dispelled those fears on Thursday. We've had Granger ranked in the top 10 for five months. Don't be surprised if he gets serious consideration by Charlotte at No. 5 if Chris Paul and Deron Williams are off the board.

Absolutely, I agree. As long as Granger isnt an injury problem, hes a top 10 pick and BPA if we dont take Bynum.

I will cry if we take rye over granger, atleast granger gives some nice hope as well, because he does remind me of scottie pippen. i was just scared about his injuries
RIP Crushalot😞
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/10/2005  10:50 AM
Posted by SKY:

Intriguing, thinks for the article even though it was Ford, still intriguing.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/10/2005  11:14 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by SKY:

Intriguing, thinks for the article even though it was Ford, still intriguing.

what about martynas?
RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/10/2005  11:28 AM
here is what chad says on martynas

International invasion

The NBA held a couple of high-profile public workouts at the Chicago pre-draft camp on Thursday.

First up was Lithuanian big man Martynas Andriuskevicius. He has been tutored by Arvydas Sabonis the past two years, but hasn't received much playing time. Still, given his size (7-3) and shooting ability, Andriuskevicius has been ranked by many scouts as a top-10 pick in the draft.

On Thursday, he worked out against 7-footer Jan Jagla of Penn State.

Andriuskevicius spent most of the time in drills. He has great shooting and ball-handling skills for a big man and even showed some range from NBA 3-point distance. Jagla, however, was nearly as good. He shot the ball just as well and showed nice mobility.

They finished the workout going head to head. Andriuskivicus showed some nice moves around the basket and a nice fadeaway baseline jumper. He also played aggressively and fought off the more physical Jagla.

Several NBA scouts that Insider talked to were impressed with his skills. However he really lacks the strength to hold his position in the paint and struggled defensively against Jagla, a guy who went undrafted last season.

His agent, Herb Rudoy, told Insider that Andriuskevicius needed a promise in the top 12 to stay in the draft. He has the talent to warrant that selection, but he's at least two years away, physically, from playing in the NBA. Don't be surprised if he pulls out and tries to bulk out for next year.

Spanish guard Rudy Fernandez was up next. He worked out against Ernest Shelton of Alabama.

Fernandez is a great talent who has put up really good numbers in Spain the past two seasons. However, an injury this spring has hurt his draft stock a bit.

He showed great athleticism, a good handle and a pretty good jump shot on Thursday. The problem was Fernandez looked painfully skinny. He couldn't have weighed 180 pounds.

That's going to be a problem for Fernandez in the NBA. His game right now is about penetration and finishing above the rim. His jumper isn't consistent enough yet to spend more time on the perimeter.

The first time Ben Wallace hits him he could be out a month. While Fernandez has a decent buyout, he really needs to go back to Europe for another year or two

Shortly after the workout, SFX agent David Bauman told Insider that Marko Tomas was pulling out of the draft and it was likely that Nemanja Aleksandrov (who's here but not participating because of an injured knee) will also withdraw from the draft.

They're dropping like flies.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/10/2005  11:29 AM
I would also still have no problem with Warrick. We have good ball handlers and playmakers. If Ward was the PG I would be worried, but having Marbury and Crawford gives Warrick time to adjust. I'm even. I havent seen enough Granger but I have followed Warrick for a while now. I think either one is the goods. If we took one of them at 8 and a guy like Morris, Blatche, Bynum, Petro, Ak, Deng, Taft... essentially the best big on the board. I know most of those names are total wishfull thinking, but *someone* will slip.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
6/10/2005  11:47 AM
If we take Granger would you trade Ariza in order to move up and possibly get Brynum or Blacte......

Small foward wouldn't be a concern if we picked him up, or we could also try to move him to the two stranger things have happened, which i would rather do.
purple012870
Member: #432
6/10/2005  11:48 AM
Granger - PLEASE. I want an actual basketball player at # 8. Not a finesse center (Frye), not a project center (take your choice). Granger at 8. Daniel Ewing at 30. Get competitiveness, toughness, defense.

Jerome James or Steven Hunter via FA. Trade our expiring garbage now or midway thru next season for more size.

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/10/2005  11:50 AM
A draft of Granger or warrick and Blatche or bynum would be great for me. I think we will hit gold with either combination, high ceiling players to fill positions that we have need in.. this will allow us to let Tim Thomas walk and play ariza at the SG,and SF some, also it will give us some size and the room to move one of our PF's...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/10/2005  11:51 AM
Posted by MS:

If we take Granger would you trade Ariza in order to move up and possibly get Brynum or Blacte......

Small foward wouldn't be a concern if we picked him up, or we could also try to move him to the two stranger things have happened, which i would rather do.

no, in that case you don't trade Ariza, you want to have that pipeline of young players, Ariza, and granger can play together, share minutes, whatever, why get rid of ariza, get rid of TT if anything!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MS
Member: #724
6/10/2005  12:02 PM
Well then try to trade anything to move up in the draft, offer another first rounder from next year up, its the only way anything is going to get done
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
6/10/2005  12:13 PM
Posted by MS:

i would'nt trade ariza. but you can move either one of them to the 2, peferably ariza because he's quicker on the outside D. also granger is'nt going to be posted easily because he's strong and a good shotblocker.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/10/2005  12:37 PM
Most Knick fans are nothing but a bunch of midget lovers....I can't believe that some of you still want the Knicks to draft SFs or PGs....We need big Centers that are 6'10 +, drafting anyone below that mark is a failure...We have enough 6'8 or 6'9" on our roster..
The true Knickabocker..........
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
6/10/2005  12:58 PM
Granger is a terrific basketball player and has tremendous all around skills. His performance is not surprising to me...
Pharzeone
6/10/2005  1:03 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Most Knick fans are nothing but a bunch of midget lovers....I can't believe that some of you still want the Knicks to draft SFs or PGs....We need big Centers that are 6'10 +, drafting anyone below that mark is a failure...We have enough 6'8 or 6'9" on our roster..
Dido, Sam Bowie or Micheal Jordan?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/10/2005  1:11 PM
you must have loved LAyden's last draft coming away with 6'11 Lampe and 7'6 Slavko Vranes.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
USA
6/10/2005  1:11 PM
How many times has that same scenario reoccured???? Shaq or penny?? Ginobli or Duncan???
diderotn
USA
6/10/2005  1:13 PM
Based on the folks that Layden has brought to N.Y, you could easily tell that he doesn't have a clue about talents...Who in their right minds would offer Houston a $20 million contract other than Layden????

Posted by fishmike:

you must have loved LAyden's last draft coming away with 6'11 Lampe and 7'6 Slavko Vranes.
Pharzeone
6/10/2005  1:19 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Based on the folks that Layden has brought to N.Y, you could easily tell that he doesn't have a clue about talents...Who in their right minds would offer Houston a $20 million contract other than Layden????

Posted by fishmike:

Layden is not to blame for Houston's contract. It was a spectator in those negotiations. For years it was widely believed that Checketts personally guaranteed Allan the money but he has since denied having any influence in those dealings on Mike and Mad Dog show and put it all on Dolan. So I don't know who is to be held responsible for that. Layden had an eye for talent but was afaird to close out deals, he went for the safe semi proven road. Like trading for McDyess, or trading Harvey for Strickland. Pressure from Dolan to win now.
diderotn
USA
6/10/2005  1:21 PM
I don't care, who was the GM then???? Dolan or Layden???

Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by fishmike:

Layden is not to blame for Houston's contract. It was a spectator in those negotiations. For years it was widely believed that Checketts personally guaranteed Allan the money but he has since denied having any influence in those dealings on Mike and Mad Dog show and put it all on Dolan. So I don't know who is to be held responsible for that. Layden had an eye for talent but was afaird to close out deals, he went for the safe semi proven road. Like trading for McDyess, or trading Harvey for Strickland. Pressure from Dolan to win now.
From ESPN Insider on Granger & Warrick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy