Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  4:47 AM
Male athlete of the year: Julius Hodge
Posted: 04.29.2005

Jeff Reeves/TECHNICIAN
Julius Hodge drives to the basket past Maryland's Chris McCoy during N.C.State's second meeting with the Terrapins

Austin Johnson

Julius Hodge had a lot to live up to.

He was the reigning ACC Player of the Year, returning to a team that made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament.

But for the Harlem native with a light-up-the-room smile and a flare for acting, his encore performance would be plenty sweet.

In good dramatic fashion, he made N.C. State fans sweat it out for a while.

An awful January put the Wolfpack in an early hole that it spent the next two months trying to overcome. Getting to the field of 65 took a 6-3 run to end the season -- including two wins in the ACC Tournament.

Once in the field, as a No. 10 seed, Hodge didn't allow the Pack to disappoint. A comeback win over Charlotte fueled by Hodge -- who scored at will on Eddie Basden, picked by many as the National Defensive Player of the Year.

Then came the win over Connecticut, revenge for Hodge after a controversial foul call his freshman year cost State a chance to beat the Huskies for a trip to the Sweet 16. This time there would be no controversy, with Hodge making the game winner, then brushing something off his shoulder on national television.

"That might have been a monkey," Hodge said after the game. "Finally, we are in the Sweet 16. I had to get that monkey off our backs."

It might have also been a monkey off Hodge's back. Despite averaging 17 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists a game -- numbers that were just as good as the ones that earned him Player of the Year honors as a junior, State's struggle to a 7-9 conference record kept Hodge from repeating and pushed him all the way down to a second team All-ACC selection.

But after that shot in Worcester, all of the awards didn't matter.

"Julius needed a shot like that for his resume," sophomore guard Engin Atsur said. "That was a big-time player, making a big time play in a big moment."

Hodge's final resume puts him in elite company at State. His 2,040 career points rank him third all-time, he ranks fourth in career assists with 454 and 12th in rebounds with 773. To Head Coach Herb Sendek, it was everything he could have dreamed for when he convinced Hodge to move to Tobacco Road.

"He personifies everything that is good about college basketball, and he had an amazing career," Sendek said.

It isn't often you see a guy with these kinds of skills at his size in the NCAA. Hes worth a shot, he could be exactly what the doctor ordered for us.

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 06/10/2005 04:49:50]
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
USA
6/10/2005  4:59 AM
This is a must read!

The Collected Wit and Wisdom of Julius Hodge

Advice given to Cameron Bennerman, starting in place of the injured Scooter Sherrill, before a March 6, 2004 game at Wake Forest’s Lawrence Joel Coliseum:

“When you’re hungry, you eat; when you’re a frog, you leap; if you’re scared, get a dog.”

In response to UNC player Rashad McCants’ comments comparing college to prison, preseason 2004:

“I don't look at it in that same way, because if that's the way he looks at it, I would hate to see what their shower scene looks like.”

On gaining 15 pounds of muscle in the 2004 off-season:

“It will make me look sexier at the beach.”

On the differences between Harlem and Raleigh, January 21, 2002

“New York is the place to be. I could wake up there at three in the morning and decide to go to the store for some chips and Snapple and there would be cars racing down the street and people walking around everywhere. If I do that here, I'd probably get attacked by a deer.”

After NC State’s 78-74 upset victory over #1 Duke, February 15, 2004:

“We're out here beating ranked team after ranked team; winning big games, making the big plays...we're hard to kill, like ****roaches.”

When asked whether Duke’s Cameron Crazies got to him in a January 15, 2004, loss at Cameron Indoor:

“There's no way I could let a guy with a 4.5 GPA, acne and bad breath decide the way I'm going to play on the court. Everywhere I go I get that, so that didn't make a difference.”

When asked by a reporter to share his thoughts on Wake Forest’s Chris Paul being voted 2004-2005 ACC Preseason Player of the Year:

“You guys were the ones that voted for him.”

After being named ACC Player of the Year 2003-2004, Hodge was asked to comment on Duke’s Chris Duhon finishing second in the voting:

“Duhon’s always saying that everyone's playing for second place, well I guess now he's that guy.”

On returning for his senior season, rather than entering the NBA draft:

“...I just thought why not stay, you know? The NBA's not going anywhere.”

During a press conference to announce his decision to return for his senior season:

JH: “…to get to the point, I’m declaring myself eligible for the NBA draft. Questions?”

Reporter: [starts to ask a question]

JH: GOTCHA!!!

Later in the press conference, Hodge holds up a photograph of Coach Herb Sendek looking sleep-deprived and sporting a beard…

JH: “How could you say ‘no’ to a face like this?”

Herb photo

On Wolfpack guard Tony Bethel:

“I can't pump him no more because he's the truth. He's not even close to the same player as a year ago. His jumper is always going in. No disrespect to no one, but with me and him we're the best backcourt in the country.”

Discussing NC State’s potential in 2004:

“I see us as the 'lunch-baggers' of the ACC. We just go to work every day, try to get the job done.”

After being benched as punishment for being late to a team event, December, 2004:

“I wasn't late for anything. Coach has a philosophy. If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. I disagree with it, but we got the win, and that's all that matters.”

On preparing to play the Manhattan Jaspers, December, 2004:

“I know the guys we are going to be playing will be tough, rough and buff. We have to be ready to play them.”

Discussing a dunk he made during a game, November, 2004:

“I can't explain it. My legs were feeling fresh. I can be athletic at times”

On the team’s improved performance in the second half of a game, November, 2004:

“I think early on…early in the game we were careless with the ball but…towards the end of the game we started...umm...being...well, not careless, I guess, and started making shots.”

On spreading the ball around in a game, November 2004:

“I did a good job of that even though I could easily be the Heisman Trophy winner of college basketball.”

After losing to Maryland in the 2004 ACC Tournament:

“[We] wanted to go down in history for winning the ACC Tournament championship, not for being up 20 and losing. I never had the thought ... it never passed through my mind that we would lose this game.”

After the Wolfpack won an exhibition game that was too close for comfort:

“Today was a little bit of a lesson that we can't go out there with our heads up our anuses thinking that we have every game won.”

On having the ball stolen from him by Florida State’s Tim Pickett:

“I was peeved. I had some turnovers like I was in the seventh grade. One time, Pickett took my cookies.”

On his grueling personal workout schedule, preseason 2002:

- “My attention is to getting better every day, and you have to sacrifice some things. I guess the ladies are what I’ve got to sacrifice. If that’s something I have to do for us to win the National Championship, then I’m more than willing to do that.”

- “If I didn’t do that, I would sense someone else would be out there getting better than me. It’s daytime in California, and I’m about to go to sleep at midnight and Cedric Bozeman is still in the gym shooting threes. I can’t give up.”

After committing to NC State as a high school senior, 2001:

“Just making it to the NCAA tournament is not a goal of mine. I would like to win a national championship as soon as I arrive on the scene.”

On taking a shot to the groin from Wake Forest guard Chris Paul in a March 6, 2005 game:

"At first, I just wanted to find out if I could still have children. Once I figured out I could have children, it was all good."

After defeating Florida State on the first day of the ACC Tournament, March 10, 2005:

“All we can do is continue to play great basketball, great defense, and continue to show off our pearly whites.”

After defeating Wake Forest in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament, March 11, 2005:

- “Earlier this season, I said I'd walk barefoot from Raleigh to Cary to not only get in the tournament, but to win a championship. I guess I had to take one [a shot to the groin] for us to do it.”

- “It wasn't about anyone else except NC State. That's all we could play for, what's on the front of the jersey.”

From a television interview, December 2004:

- “When I’m not playing, I like to work on my game and look fly for the honeys”

- “This is the best personality the ACC has ever seen.”

On playing in Reynolds Coliseum:

“The only thing I didn't like too much was the heat. It felt like I lost five pounds out there.”

After defeating UConn in the second round of the NCAA tournament, March 20, 2005:

- “What’d I tell you? WOLFPACK!”

- “No one believed it could happen. It feels that much better because no one believed.”

On the game-winning basket:

- “[The UConn defender] started clapping his hands and smiling, and I knew there was no way I was going to be denied.”

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 06/10/2005 04:59:47]
Killa4luv
USA
6/10/2005  5:05 AM
DraftCity: Even though he is not with you right now in Cleveland, I know that you went down to North Carolina for a month and trained Julius Hodge. Can you tell me a little about him?

Eric Lichter: Julius Hodge is the hardest worker I have ever had the pleasure of working with. This kid…his approach is that he’ll outwork anyone. I spent a good 5 or 6 days writing a program for Julius at NC State. I set the bar for Julius very high. I was told by his agent and by Julius’ group that he wanted to condition and prepare for individual workouts like he never has in his life. When I built Julius’ exercise and conditioning program, I questioned if he would be able to maintain that type of regimen. From the on court work to the weight room to the conditioning, Julius finished it and he finished it well. Julius was incredible. The theme through Julius’ workouts has been that the guy is in incredible shape and is just the hardest worker they’ve seen. The Knicks…Isaiah loved him. Loved his effort, that’s what I can comment on. I know that for a fact. Loved his effort, intensity. Loved his motor, its just nonstop. Julius’ heart…its as big as this gym we are standing in. His effort and his intensity through his workouts is that large too. He was just a pleasure to work with. Julius…very good leaper, very quick. Long arms, good footwork, good elevation on his jumpshot. Physically, Julius is above average in everything. I would say that he has the total package. That kid as well, it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Killa4luv
USA
6/10/2005  5:08 AM
Hodge Has Great NYC Workout In Front Of Scouts
Filed under:

* General

— site admin @ 2:37 pm

From Chad Ford, who is in NYC watching player workouts, has a report on ESPN.com Insider (which is well worth the money) about Hodge’s 5/24 workout.

# If NBA folks somehow had forgotten about Julius Hodge during his four stellar years at North Carolina State, they got a great reminder of the good and the bad Tuesday afternoon.

# Everything else about his game was great. His quickness, athleticism, ballhandling and court vision are pluses. He had one spectacular pass in two-on-two drills that was Jason Kidd-like.

# Hodge has already had workouts with the Knicks, Rockets, Kings, Clippers, Jazz and Suns, and Insider got feedback from several of those teams. Each said he moved up the board after his workout with the team and would be in the mix late in the first round.

# According to Hodge, several teams told him they were looking at him as a full-time point guard. One team at the workout confirmed that to me. If that holds true across the board, Hodge could make a major jump up the board.
Julius Hodge

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy