Huge NBA Trade Rumor(not Knicks)
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/10/2005  2:46 AM
insider.espn.go.com/nba/d...9583&num=0

• The most interesting draft rumor flying around this weekend had the Blazers and Celtics talking about a deal that would send Paul Pierce to Portland for the No. 3 pick in the draft and Nick Van Exel.

On Tuesday, Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge shot that rumor down, telling Insider it was "ludicrous." Ainge said he had no intention of trading Pierce, especially for a draft pick.

Still, it's an interesting idea.

Van Exel has a team option on his contract this year. That means the Celtics could trade for his $12.7 million contract, and essentially waive him without owing him a penny. In other words, the Celtics would get the draft pick and cut their cap by more than $13 million (Pierce makes a little more than Van Exel).

It's obvious why the Blazers would do it. Adding an All-Star like Pierce at the two would be a major upgrade. If Portland could find a veteran point guard in free agency to back up Sebastian Telfair, it could be back in the playoff mix next year.

The Celtics also have motivation to do a deal like this. Pierce is unhappy. The Celtics don't sound like they're bringing back Antoine Walker and Gary Payton (both are free agents) next season, which is only going to make matters worse with Pierce.

By not re-signing Walker and Payton and by trading Pierce, the Celtics could accomplish a couple of things.

First, by making the move, Boston would be around $10 million under the cap going into the summer. That would allow Ainge to be aggressive on the free agent market. The Celtics would love to have a long, athletic shot blocker like Samuel Dalembert, Tyson Chandler or Stromile Swift. They would have enough cash to be a contender for one of these players by trading Pierce.

Second, the Celtics would be in a position to draft a potential superstar such as North Carolina swingman Marvin Williams or Wake Forest point guard Chris Paul. One of these two should be on the board at No. 3. They'd also retain their No. 18 pick in the draft.

While making these moves would likely mean the Celtics slip a little in the standings next year, Ainge would be putting together a pretty awesome long-term foundation for the Green. Both Paul and Williams have the potential to be superstars. Al Jefferson looks like he could be an All-Star someday. Delonte West and Tony Allen also appear to have bright NBA futures.

The downside of the deal is just as troubling. Ainge would be trading a proven star and scorer for potential and cap room. Given how lopsided the trades of Shaquille O'Neal, Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady have looked in hindsight, you can understand the hesitation.
AUTOADVERT
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
6/10/2005  6:45 AM
Just to add the Knicks angle, I would trade Marbury and Kurt for NVE, Ratliff and the 3. Don't know if it would under the CBA, but it makes sense.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
6/10/2005  8:05 AM
Why am I not surprised???

Posted by firefly:

Just to add the Knicks angle, I would trade Marbury and Kurt for NVE, Ratliff and the 3. Don't know if it would under the CBA, but it makes sense.
The true Knickabocker..........
firefly
United Kingdom
6/10/2005  8:09 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Why am I not surprised???

Posted by firefly:

Why would you be?
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/10/2005  9:05 AM
Posted by firefly:

That trade doesn't make a bit of sense for Portland, they have money tied up in Mighty Mouse and now Telfair and now you want them to take on max money with Marbury.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
firefly
United Kingdom
6/10/2005  9:17 AM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by firefly:

That trade doesn't make a bit of sense for Portland, they have money tied up in Mighty Mouse and now Telfair and now you want them to take on max money with Marbury.

Stoudamire is a free agent, and Telfair is a child
Huge NBA Trade Rumor(not Knicks)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy