Eddy Curry vs. The hall of Famer Andrew Bynum
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
6/9/2005  12:36 PM
Posted by fishmike:

thats where I disagree. I think KT, JYD and Malik Rose are great players to have around a guy like Bynum. They are tough, they work hard, they improve their game every year, they respect the league and the game. If Bynum is the backup I would be very happy to have a guy like KT starting, not because of his game, but his approach to the game. He's a starter because shows up every year in great shape and beats out his competition. If her were a 7 footer we would be gushing "Thank god for KT"

I think KT, JYD and Malik would be good for Bynum's maturation and mental approach to the game, but I think them being in front of him on the depth chart would hurt his physical development and his learning to actually play in game situations. I'd love to be proven wrong, but as a Knicks fan, I can envision only the worst case scenario.
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/9/2005  12:56 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by Vmart:

I'm gonna say go with Bynum rather than Curry. Because even if his heart is good to go you never know what could happen. So he is a big risk probably a bigger risk than Bynum right now. As for Bynum I have always been in favor of making the NYK ballers homegrown not necessarily from NY but drafted by the Knicks. I think atleast they should have a homegrown superstar. It goes a long way to bring someone up through the organization because I think they have pride in the organization. I think Bynum has that potential to be our Pat Ewing. Ewing had a lot of Pride in the Orange and Blue I can't say that these other guys have that kind of pride. Sweetney and Ariza I think have it, Butler might have it since he was taken and given a chance from outside the NBA. I would rather the KNicks deal with young hungry players than the fat cats that they go after.
Dude, Briggs who is crazy about Bynum, only compares him to a more steady version of Brendan Haywood.
Briggs also said he's going to be a 20/10/3 center in the league for a long time

Key word being Potential
Maybe he meant potential but that's not what he said yesterday. He flat out said the Bynum will be a 20/10/3 center in the league for a long time

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/09/2005 11:16:15]

if i didnt believe he would be a 20-10-3 C in 3 years, I wouldnt have been barking up the tree so hard. Im not syaing he would potentially be a 20-10 player, im saying HE WILL BE a 20-10-3 player within 3 years. A much better bigger more skilled and consistent version of Brendan Haywood
Here's the thing: You usually come up with a prediction. Here it's that he'll be a 20/10/3 player. And it's usually not too unreasonable. But then you make crazy guarantees that exclude all other (also reasonable) possibilities. Earlier you said that Bogut *will* be on multiple championship teams. But even Ewing wasn't and I don't see what Bogut has over Ewing. No one knows how these kids will do, especially not a 17 year old (Bynum). And it's even harder to predict how their teams will do (as in your Bogut claim) because there are so many additional factors. You can't become stuck on one possibility and treat it as an inevitability.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 06/09/2005 12:58:28]
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/9/2005  2:49 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by fishmike:

thats where I disagree. I think KT, JYD and Malik Rose are great players to have around a guy like Bynum. They are tough, they work hard, they improve their game every year, they respect the league and the game. If Bynum is the backup I would be very happy to have a guy like KT starting, not because of his game, but his approach to the game. He's a starter because shows up every year in great shape and beats out his competition. If her were a 7 footer we would be gushing "Thank god for KT"

I think KT, JYD and Malik would be good for Bynum's maturation and mental approach to the game, but I think them being in front of him on the depth chart would hurt his physical development and his learning to actually play in game situations. I'd love to be proven wrong, but as a Knicks fan, I can envision only the worst case scenario.

J Oneal sat for what, four years and got no playing time- turned out ok. But, I will grant you that the Knicks have done a horrible job of developing talent.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
6/10/2005  1:38 AM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by fishmike:

J Oneal sat for what, four years and got no playing time- turned out ok. But, I will grant you that the Knicks have done a horrible job of developing talent.
J oneal sat for 4 years behind an all-star calibur PF, who was schooling him everyday in practice. That kind of experience is priceless, and No big man will be getting that from Kurt Thomas in practice.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
6/10/2005  2:15 AM
Posted by Vmart:

I'm gonna say go with Bynum rather than Curry. Because even if his heart is good to go you never know what could happen. So he is a big risk probably a bigger risk than Bynum right now. As for Bynum I have always been in favor of making the NYK ballers homegrown not necessarily from NY but drafted by the Knicks. I think atleast they should have a homegrown superstar. It goes a long way to bring someone up through the organization because I think they have pride in the organization. I think Bynum has that potential to be our Pat Ewing. Ewing had a lot of Pride in the Orange and Blue I can't say that these other guys have that kind of pride. Sweetney and Ariza I think have it, Butler might have it since he was taken and given a chance from outside the NBA. I would rather the KNicks deal with young hungry players than the fat cats that they go after.

very good post. I agree with everything you said. That would be the key to turning this thing around and re-living the glory days of the 90s when they played with pride. Bynum, Ariza, Sweetney, Butler and whoever else we draft this year and next year. I honestly think Isiah has the right vision of turning this thing around. They just got to surround these kids with the right guys not overpaid vets.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/10/2005  2:22 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by franco12:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by fishmike:

J oneal sat for 4 years behind an all-star calibur PF, who was schooling him everyday in practice. That kind of experience is priceless, and No big man will be getting that from Kurt Thomas in practice.

Actually, JO supposedly was schooling EVERYONE in practice when he was with Portland. But like you said, he was behind Rasheed and even Shawn Kemp, so there was no way he was ever gonna get playing time in the first place. The Knicks don't have any all stars or potential all stars though at that position. No reason why a young guy like Bynum can't get at least 10 -12 minutes a night in his rookie season.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
gunsnewing
USA
6/10/2005  2:39 AM
I think people are way over-reacting about the fact that he is only 17 and could take 3yrs to start getting big minutes whereas a guy like Wright, Graham or Frye would be in the rotation right away.

But you have to look at the big picture. It is clear that Bynum is the best high school center prospect. So much so that the best college program in the nation was thrilled about having him. When a player is so highly recruited like that by a big time school he usually goes on to have a very good nba career and gets drafted high.

Who cares if he's only 18 next year?! Ariza and Amare were 19. We would've never expected Ariza to play as much as he did. Usually when you here about a rookie looking good in practice it doesn't amount to nothing more than riding the bench especially on the Knicks. But with Isiah things are different than it has been. These young guys are being thrown in there and performing well.

Why can't a guy who already has an nba body like Bynum get 10-18mins per game his 1st year? or worst case scenario he sits for 3/4s of the season like Butler did and focus more on his conditioning and fundamentals his first year. We're not winning a title with a jumpshooting tweener like Frye or a wing player. We need a guy who will be a beast inside on both ends of the floor!
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
6/10/2005  9:58 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

But you have to look at the big picture. It is clear that Bynum is the best high school center prospect. So much so that the best college program in the nation was thrilled about having him. When a player is so highly recruited like that by a big time school he usually goes on to have a very good nba career and gets drafted high.
Bynum is the best high school center prospect. Well whoop-de-damn-do. LOL, that's not saying much. Please tell that to the last couple of HS players who got drafted and are not in the league.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
6/10/2005  10:06 AM
Slam didn't have Bynum as one of the 15 best players in High school this year, that has to make you a little nervous about making him the 8th pick in the draft
Killa4luv
USA
6/10/2005  12:38 PM
He is not getting picked #8.
gunsnewing
USA
6/10/2005  7:36 PM
Posted by MS:

Slam didn't have Bynum as one of the 15 best players in High school this year, that has to make you a little nervous about making him the 8th pick in the draft

im a little nervous too that he might not be significantly better than Brendan Haywood but like I said in the other threads lets work him out privately and see what he's got. I trust Isiah's judgement of youth
Killa4luv
USA
6/10/2005  9:18 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by MS:

im a little nervous too that he might not be significantly better than Brendan Haywood but like I said in the other threads lets work him out privately and see what he's got. I trust Isiah's judgement of youth
Well I for one thign would like to have a brendan Haywood on our team, but Haywood was drafted at 19 I believe and he took several seasons to turn into what he has turned into. I don't wanna wait 3-4 years for a Brendan Haywood to develop. There are just too many question marks about Bynum at this point. Its a huge risk, and Isiah would have to be blown away to take this kid, and I really don't think its gonna happen.
Eddy Curry vs. The hall of Famer Andrew Bynum

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy