[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Nickoloz Tskitishvili
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/25/2002  6:20 PM
I can't remember if there was a thread on this guy. Here is the article.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2002/columns/aldridge_david/2002/0424/1373432.html

D'Antoni's overseas scouting report

Good to hear from one of the truly good guys, former Nuggets coach Mike D'Antoni. He spent the year coaching in Italy for Benetton and he has perhaps the top international prospect on his team, 6-foot-11 Georgian forward Nickoloz Tskitishvili.

"He just turned 19, and he's not ready for the NBA, but he might be ready to get drafted," D'Antoni said from Italy this week. "He's almost seven feet tall and he has a lot of talent. He's just got to put it together, get a butt on him and he'll be great. Talent-wise, I don't see why he wouldn't be better than (Pau) Gasol."

D'Antoni figures Tskitishvili, who went to Benetton midway through the Italian League season, could add and hold 25 pounds to his current 220-pound frame without losing his quickness.

"He shoots the hell out of it," D'Antoni said. "He's great coming off of picks. He has NBA 3-point range. He can put it on the floor. And he plays hard for a European. He needs a little personality in terms of coming in and trying to dominate instead of being a nice guy."

Tskitishvili's American agent, Marc Fleischer, will put his client's name in the draft but will take it out if he's not certain Tskitishvili will be a top-10 pick. Tskitishvili has a buyout with Benetton after next season for $350,000, but Benetton may allow him to leave after this season for a significantly higher price. "The vibes are that that may be a possibility," Fleischer says.

Another potential problem: The Italian League season doesn't end until June, so it's unlikely that Tskitisvili will be able to come over to the States for workouts. But more than 20 NBA teams have already been or are on their way to Italy to see him.

Meanwhile, D'Antoni -- forced out by ex-coach Dan Issel in Denver three years ago -- is waiting to see if he'll be back in the league next season. "It's fun just working with these kids, because their dream is the NBA," he says. "It's been refreshing. But you miss the NBA, because the NBA is still the best league. It's fun and it's comfortable and these kids are great. But the NBA is the NBA."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
4/25/2002  6:31 PM
tanx for the article,

Nikoloz's addition to this draft would only make it deeper and the 7th pick would hopefully not go to a stiff (Marcus, Borchardt).
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/25/2002  9:27 PM
As of right now for foreign players i think Ming will be the #1 pick and Maybyner Hilario and Tshikishvili are both considered the second best prospects. Both will be mid to late lottery and while i could see us grabbing Hilario with a 7 or 8 pick, i don't see us taking Tshikishvili because he's a perimeter player mainly even though he's 6-11.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
4/26/2002  11:42 PM
Great to see him and Maybiner declare for this Draft. This Draft has a ridiculous amount of potential in it and it's up to us now (well not us but the NY scouts) to predict who the players are that can fulfill their potential. I wish we had another first-round pick!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/27/2002  11:11 AM
Posted by VG:

Great to see him and Maybiner declare for this Draft. This Draft has a ridiculous amount of potential in it and it's up to us now (well not us but the NY scouts) to predict who the players are that can fulfill their potential. I wish we had another first-round pick!
It's still not too late to get another. I just wish we had more tradeable players.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
4/27/2002  4:54 PM
KT, for having a good year, should be tradeable for a pick

Ward, who has a cheap buyout so eventhough he has two years remaining on his contract he's virtually in the last year of his contract (which with the luxury tax and all makes him attractive for those close to the treshold, Knicks are too far over anyway)

Spree could work as well and if I recall correctly Jax has an opt out meaning he could be in the last year of his contract as well.

A creative GM could get the Knicks another pick.
Nickoloz Tskitishvili

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy