[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

RealGM.com mock draft...
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/25/2005  9:29 PM
... has us taking Petro at #8 and Frye at #30.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_article/54/20050525/the_realgm_mock_draft/
8. New York Knicks .

Team needs: C, C, C.

Reasons: With a slew of undersized power forwards and no cap room for years to come, Isiah Thomas will look towards this draft and future drafts for help in the front court. Last year, Thomas drafted Trevor Ariza, which turned out to be a steal, and hes only 19 years old. The Knicks still have a little youth, but no cap room to go after a Kwame Brown this summer. It has been rumored that he could be a Knick for Kurt Thomas.

What could make this deal a tough one is that KT has a trade kicker in his contract. Washington may not be willing to pay for that. While everyone in New York will not tolerate a rebuilding project, there arent many ready-now bigmen available. The most ready is Fran Vasquez, but he's only an inch taller than Kurt Thomas, the Knicks' best power forward who was forced to play center after they dealt Nazr to San Antonio for Malik Rose. Chris Taft could be available, but why draft the next Kwame if you can get the actual Kwame in the summer?

They draft: Johan Petro, C, Pau Orthez, 18 yrs.

Reasons: Isiah sees something not many people may see: a bigger Marcus Camby. Petro is still very young, but he is very big for his size. He is very athletic, something very few centers have. He will take some patience, but once he's ready, he'll blossom. He can become a bigger Theo Ratliff, using his long arms to get to balls most centers would have a hard time blocking. He can also run the floor well for a player his size. Some Knick fans may not like this because of the first Frenchman they drafted: Freddy Weis. First off, Petro is a hundred times better at 18 than Weis was. Second, there is no Ron Artest in this draft that the Knicks would be passing up. Third, Petro would never let someone jump over him. The one problem could be that some people will chastise this pick because he is simply not ready right now. He also may have a buyout clause in his contract, as do most European players.

30. New York Knicks (from San Antonio)

Team needs: C, C, C.

Reasons: Knick fan only wish they didn't have to have this pick from San Antonio. They'd rather have this pick from being the best team, not from trading their starting center whose contract expires next season for another undersized power forward, Rose. But if Isiah Thomas can turn this team around through the draft, then it won't be very long until they have this pick without getting it in a trade. The Knicks already addressed this with their lottery pick, but they still need more size to compete in the East. It may not look like it, but the tide is starting to rise in the East.

New York wants to be a part of that. There is still a very good, and tall, player available that can play now while Petro develops.

They draft: Channing Frye, PF/C, Arizona, Se.

Why?: Frye improved his stock with a great NCAA tournament. If it wasn't for the influx of international players and high school players, he would be a lottery pick. 10 years ago, but he would've been drafted in the lottery. Frye possesses a great shooting touch for a 7 footer. He can step out beyond 15 feet and make his shot. Most centers would let him have it. He is very quick, too. He can get to loose balls a lot faster than most centers can. His main weakness is his strength. He has added a lot since his freshman year, but it's not enough for the NBA. The only problem with adding size is it may take away from what makes him stand out. If he adds size, he can body up against other centers, but he would then become one of them. If he can add bulk without losing any of his quickness, then the Knicks would have a very good player at a spot so late.

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 05/25/2005 21:31:29]
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
USA
5/25/2005  9:33 PM
Maybe they know something about Isiah's trips to Europe. Maybe Petro was working out for him personally or something. I was always impressed with those clips I saw of Petro, and Isiah picks him, I hae no choice but to trust his judgement. At 19 years old, his upside is pretty high and I will say it again, he could be our Amare, except at center if he is really 7 feet.

If we can get him and Frye thats great, then we have 2 centers!!!! That would be reason to celebrate.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/25/2005  9:41 PM
no way. the guy weighs 230-240 at best and looks more like 6-10. at 19years old and no experience playing in the U.S, against our bigmen he could be years away if he even amounts to anything. Bynum is 7'1 275. Blatche is a legit 7'0 235

Petro will go between 16-20 and if we're lucky he drops to 30 like Lampe did which I think is a lot more likely than hoping Bynum drops to 30

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/25/2005 21:55:10]
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
5/25/2005  9:47 PM
draft is thick - and they dont have bynum in the 1st round.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/25/2005  10:14 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

no way. the guy weighs 230-240 at best and looks more like 6-10. at 19years old and no experience playing in the U.S, against our bigmen [Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/25/2005 21:55:10]
What? How can you tell he is 6 10. He has already been measured. Let me also know how much experience Bynum has, did I miss the time he spent at UCONN.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
gunsnewing
USA
5/25/2005  10:16 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:

no way. the guy weighs 230-240 at best and looks more like 6-10. at 19years old and no experience playing in the U.S, against our bigmen [Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/25/2005 21:55:10]
What? How can you tell he is 6 10. He has already been measured. Let me also know how much experience Bynum has, did I miss the time he spent at UCONN.

althouigh he doesn't have the experience i can guarantee you that with that body he won't be pushed around the way Petro will in his first couple of years
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/26/2005  12:19 AM
it's interesting that every mock has us taking two bigs. I don't see it. I think Zeke will go guard at 30. It'd be nice to get that much size/potential on one night though.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/26/2005  7:57 AM
Frye isnt falling to 30.. but we can get a good guard there.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/26/2005  8:00 AM
Well I have no problem with those picks, but if Bynum is there at 30 (maybe we should even take him at 8th) then take him. I have NO problem at all in drafting centers. But please, make sure they really play!
Knicks_Fan
Knick2001
Member: #83
5/26/2005  8:06 AM
Frye isnt falling to 30.. but we can get a good guard there.

That mock draft is way off if they think Frye lasts until the 30th pick. The nbadraft.net mock draft is much closer to reality.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
5/26/2005  8:23 AM
To all of you who have been calling to draft a freaking guard or a player shorter than 6'10", even the experts know that it is wise for Isiah to draft at least 2 or 3 centers in this draft...as bad or as short of a team as we are, it would be purely stupid not to go big with all of our picks....I know, you are all saying that Detroit is not that big, but don't forget that Detroit is one of the longest teams in the league...Sheed is not shorter than 6'11", Dyess is at least 6'10", Cambell is a true 7', the young kid Darko is a true 7',and I am not even going to mention Tayshun Prince's length and Ben's.

Look, size does matter in the NBA...We were one of the worst defensive team in the league, and size played at least 70% of that. Now, If Isiah can add 1 or 2 more picks at our disposition, for sure we should consider drafting a guard....But that is not a necessity at the moment....
The true Knickabocker..........
gunsnewing
USA
5/26/2005  9:56 AM
Posted by diderotn:

To all of you who have been calling to draft a freaking guard or a player shorter than 6'10", even the experts know that it is wise for Isiah to draft at least 2 or 3 centers in this draft...as bad or as short of a team as we are, it would be purely stupid not to go big with all of our picks....I know, you are all saying that Detroit is not that big, but don't forget that Detroit is one of the longest teams in the league...Sheed is not shorter than 6'11", Dyess is at least 6'10", Cambell is a true 7', the young kid Darko is a true 7',and I am not even going to mention Tayshun Prince's length and Ben's.

Look, size does matter in the NBA...We were one of the worst defensive team in the league, and size played at least 70% of that. Now, If Isiah can add 1 or 2 more picks at our disposition, for sure we should consider drafting a guard....But that is not a necessity at the moment....

Dido what is it going to take to make you realize that just drafting a guy who is 7ft doesn't mean he is going to even crack the rotation! you're not looking hard enough around the league. Just look at team rosters. You will see a ton of 7footers who were drafted who you've never ever heard of or seen play!. Just because they are 7ft doesm't mean they will contribute!

Obvisiously if a guy like Bynum, Blatche, Frye or Akindale was avaiable at 30 you take him but if you want Bynum you better take him at 8 if he's not already gone by then or trade down a bit and take him.

you really want to miss out on the next, arenas, boozer, redd, ariza.. so that we can wind up with a 7footer who never plays! Isiah will draft the best player available. You have to havge faith in him finding that guy based on his previous drafting history.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/26/2005 14:07:30]
Killa4luv
USA
5/26/2005  11:18 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

no way. the guy weighs 230-240 at best and looks more like 6-10. at 19years old and no experience playing in the U.S, against our bigmen he could be years away if he even amounts to anything. Bynum is 7'1 275. Blatche is a legit 7'0 235

Petro will go between 16-20 and if we're lucky he drops to 30 like Lampe did which I think is a lot more likely than hoping Bynum drops to 30

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/25/2005 21:55:10]
I love how you are the only one who knows who tall these guys really are. Didn't we go through this already. Everyone seems to agree he is 7 feet, all of the draft websites and so forth, except for you? Could you pull out your crystal ball or magic wand and help me see the light too?

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/26/2005  1:09 PM
Well RealGM gets props for giving in depth reasons for their picks. I can see the draft going the way they say.

They got Marvin Williams slipping to #4 which makes sense because Portland needs what Gerald Green brings more than Marvin. I like that idea.

And that Petro pick sounds like something Isiah would do. He has yet to make a decision that anybody saw coming. Everything is left field with Isiah. I've never seen him play besides the clips on his website. Most of us if not all probably haven't seen much more than that.

We got 35 days left to argue about it!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Killa4luv
USA
5/26/2005  1:40 PM
^^I have to agree, at least they explained their logic on each pick which is alot more than the other sites do.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/26/2005  2:02 PM
If Knicks can get Petro/Frye with the first two picks they have then I will be happy. Add Kwame for KT and I will be jumping up and down.
Killa4luv
USA
5/27/2005  1:06 AM
Posted by Vmart:

If Knicks can get Petro/Frye with the first two picks they have then I will be happy. Add Kwame for KT and I will be jumping up and down.
Yeah I could live with that.
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
5/27/2005  10:58 AM
I think if Isiah can get Bynum he's gotta do it. Just based on his size and agility (from the Allstar games) it appears that he will be a solid selection at 8. I think Petro has great potential but not necessarily better than Bynum. If there was some way we could get both that would be great. Bynum and Kwame via a trade involving Kurt what be a A++ for Isiah an the Knicks.
RealGM.com mock draft...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy