[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The CENTER position
Author Thread
purple012870
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #432
5/23/2005  9:02 AM
Curtis Borchardt. Chris Mihm. Steven Hunter. Darco Milicek. Rafael Araujo. Kendrell Perkins. Kwame Brown.

These are examples of picks that resulted in ZERO production in year 1 and beyond. I think that this trend will continue with young, raw centers like Petro, Bynum, Akindale etc. You want to say I'm impatient. Fine. Let other teams have growing pains.

I would much prefer the 22, 23, 24 year old version of guys like Steven Hunter, Kwame Brown though risky, Jerome James (now). Maybe even Eddy Curry comes at an extreme discount. Obviously medical factors play into that equation. Use any combination of Kurt Thomas and/or the expiring contracts to try to get a center who won't be useless for 2-3 years & is a hope & a prayer beyond that.

This allows us to pick up an NBA ready guy like Granger with the #8. Turn around & and get an experienced (and competitive) backcourt player Gilchrist/Ewing at the # 30 spot.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/23/2005  9:08 AM
I agree with everyone you listed except Bynum. He's got the size unlike most centers who need to bulk up and most importantly he is skilled. With his skills and his size he can become a dominant Center.
purple012870
5/23/2005  9:22 AM
I have not seen Bynum, but what did he average 17/13 in high school ? That's not overly impressive for a guy that may be a top 10 pick. I went to high school nearby to Alonzo Mourning. He'd have those numbers by halftime most games.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2005  9:42 AM
elite bigmen arent available. Thats the bottom line. You either settle for trading for guys like Nazr or Hunter or you draft and wait. Some are faster than others. Its a young mans league and you wont see Dale Davis for Jermaine Oneil type trades anymore. Its just not happening. So you either have a pipeline with bigmen in it, or your talking about what middle of the road cast off bigman you have a chance at every year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
5/23/2005  10:23 AM
what a crazy analogy...how can you judge a young man who has yet to play in this league? I already know what those who are already in can and can not do, but Bynum has yet to prove that he can't play. Frankly, I would much rather ge for the unknown at this time. Steven Hunter showed something last night, and perhaps this whole season. He has a pretty good chance at becoming a force in this league. He has the work ethic and attitude unlike Kwame....Kwame has been featured as the super star of the Wizzard, but he failed...
The true Knickabocker..........
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/23/2005  10:28 AM
We have a chance to get a young guy to develop and we should do just that. Don't let someone else take Taft or whomever and they turn into the next big thing. We can draft and still make moves for Jerome James of Hunter if Isiah thinks they can help us. There really is no need to let a big man pass us by at the #8 or #30 pick. Big men are hard to come by, thats why we don't have any, and thats why mediocre guys like Dalembert, Hunter, James and Gadzuric are high on many GM's lists.
diderotn
USA
5/23/2005  10:32 AM
I really don't understand the way some Newyorkers think...They always want what other teams have. what about developing your own...especially if you have the chance at drafting a younger inexpensive big man??? We have 3 picks and possibly a couple more, it is imperative for Isiah to come out of this draft with 2 to 3 big men. Again, we can find smaller player much easier in this league....
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/23/2005  10:37 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I really don't understand the way some Newyorkers think...They always want what other teams have. what about developing your own...especially if you have the chance at drafting a younger inexpensive big man??? We have 3 picks and possibly a couple more, it is imperative for Isiah to come out of this draft with 2 to 3 big men. Again, we can find smaller player much easier in this league....
Ditto
tapseer
Member: #698
5/23/2005  10:39 AM
Elite big men aren't available, and the guys who are available you would be overpaying for. I still say the best way to go is thru the draft. Shore up the other positions thru FA are trades.
tapseer
5/23/2005  10:43 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

We have a chance to get a young guy to develop and we should do just that. Don't let someone else take Taft or whomever and they turn into the next big thing. We can draft and still make moves for Jerome James of Hunter if Isiah thinks they can help us. There really is no need to let a big man pass us by at the #8 or #30 pick. Big men are hard to come by, thats why we don't have any, and thats why mediocre guys like Dalembert, Hunter, James and Gadzuric are high on many GM's lists.

Finally someone who agrees with me. We are in the minority, but so what? This is a chance to build your frontline of the future. Take advantage of the opportunity.
diderotn
USA
5/23/2005  10:55 AM
I am so glad that Isiah doesn't think and execute his moves like others on this forum....Isiah loves athletes, especially younger, longer and agile types...He knows that we desperately need a shotblocker, and he will definitely address that...I just hope that he doesn't waist any of our picks on drafting small. Now, if we have a chance at Green, by all means we can't pass him up because he can be a beast one day. However, after watching Williams from N.C play, I don't like his style at all. We already have TT, and we don't need Williams...He is too soft, and he doesn't rise for big games.
purple012870
5/23/2005  11:31 AM
So....what if Deron Williams falls. Wouldn't you prefer him over a 7 foot hope?

Its not like there's a Zo, Shaq no brainer big man. These center prospects (other than Bogut) are all raw as can be. I'd rather have Steven Hunter & spend the #8 pick on an actual player like Granger/Williams/Warrick etc.
OldFan
Member: #446
5/23/2005  1:11 PM
Posted by diderotn:

what a crazy analogy...how can you judge a young man who has yet to play in this league? I already know what those who are already in can and can not do, but Bynum has yet to prove that he can't play. Frankly, I would much rather ge for the unknown at this time. Steven Hunter showed something last night, and perhaps this whole season. He has a pretty good chance at becoming a force in this league. He has the work ethic and attitude unlike Kwame....Kwame has been featured as the super star of the Wizzard, but he failed...

How the hell else do you decide who to draft? Drafting is all about judging young men who haven't played in the league.

daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
5/24/2005  12:54 AM
Posted by purple012870:

I have not seen Bynum, but what did he average 17/13 in high school ? That's not overly impressive for a guy that may be a top 10 pick. I went to high school nearby to Alonzo Mourning. He'd have those numbers by halftime most games.
in his defense, he lacked minutes and games due to injury i believe. also bear in mind that the people that have seen him are the ones that are ranking him this high. what does that tell you?
tapseer
5/24/2005  1:05 AM
Let me tell some of you guys about yourselves. The same guys talking about how we should go after Hunter and James probably wouldn't have given them the chance to develope on our own team. Steven Hunter and Jerome James have done next to nothing in their careers and have just started to show some dividends...mind you not for the teams that originally had them. Now those same people want the Knicks to overpay for these marginal guys. Like myself and now others that are with me on this, you're better off drafting a big. Forget Taft's lazy season last year. He is ready to play and play well for us now. If you can get Morris or Bynumm at 30, that's even better. Then you would have your PF and C for the future. You can fil the teams other needs thru FA or trades. It's not as difficult as some of you guys are trying to make it out to be.
The CENTER position

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy