[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anyone watching what Stephen Hunter is doing today? (Game 1 vs SAN)
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
5/22/2005  5:37 PM
He's exactly the guy we need. He's a seven footer who can run the floor, rebound, he's playing tough on Duncan, a shotblocker, and moves well without the ball. He's keeping the Suns in this game right now.

If we offer him a full MLE with Phoenix staring at a Max extension for Amare and something close to that for Joe Johnson, we may be able to get him.
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
5/22/2005  6:22 PM
hunter is having a good game feeding off the energy of nash, amare, and in this game maybe jimmy jackson. dont think hunter plays like that in new york. sorry, i dont see knicks with that kind of energy
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/22/2005  6:29 PM
good to see I was right yet again about the Spurs beating the Suns. Let me say it again. Phoenix doesn't stand a chance against championship calibur teams with GREAT bigmen like Shaq and Duncan. Running doesn't win championships. I will take that to my grave!

Thank you for helping me realize and appreciate the importance of the Bigman Patrick!
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
5/22/2005  7:10 PM
if the suns beat the spurs, that would be an upset
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/22/2005  7:23 PM
I realize bigmen like Shaq,Duncan & Ewing are extremely unique but when I hear things like Illgaukus will slow us down and we need a Center who can run..when in reality Centers DON'T run. They blocks shots, rebound and throw outlet passes that ignite fastbreaks. Without a stopper you can't run!

When you're 7FT+ bigman is a dominant inside scorer like Shaq, Duncan and Ewing are you have have it made. But if not then a Center of the calibur os Z should be good enough with a rugged PF and a guy like Marbury feeding him.
crzymdups
USA
5/22/2005  7:29 PM
Posted by Bobby:

hunter is having a good game feeding off the energy of nash, amare, and in this game maybe jimmy jackson. dont think hunter plays like that in new york. sorry, i dont see knicks with that kind of energy

Hunter wouldn't be able to "feed" off the energy of Marbury, Jamal, Ariza? He's a skilled seven footer who held his own against Duncan. He can run the floor and he's available for the MLE. It's ridiculous not to take a look him. Saying he's "feeding off the stars" around him sounds like something an announcer would say. Hunter would be able to play the exact same way on the Knicks.
¿ △ ?
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
5/22/2005  8:16 PM
I think Hunter, in NY, could develop into a poor man's Marcus Camby with the right guidance.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/22/2005  10:57 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I realize bigmen like Shaq,Duncan & Ewing are extremely unique but when I hear things like Illgaukus will slow us down and we need a Center who can run..when in reality Centers DON'T run. They blocks shots, rebound and throw outlet passes that ignite fastbreaks. Without a stopper you can't run!

When you're 7FT+ bigman is a dominant inside scorer like Shaq, Duncan and Ewing are you have have it made. But if not then a Center of the calibur os Z should be good enough with a rugged PF and a guy like Marbury feeding him.
Exactly and we can acquire the rugged PF in the draft be it Taft, Frye or whomeever. This 'running center' theory is a load of crap. Do you think Pat, and Hakeem, and Kareem were running down the floor? A fast break means everyone isn't down the floor, thats why its a fast break.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
5/22/2005  11:14 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Talented big men like that don't just don't come around often. Usually you get pretenders like Candiman a big waste of a stud or Yinka Dare. I dont' want no part of Hunter or Jerome James, especially James unless we give him 10 days contracts because he responds well to paying for contracts.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
tapseer
Member: #698
5/22/2005  11:29 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Talented big men like that don't just don't come around often. Usually you get pretenders like Candiman a big waste of a stud or Yinka Dare. I dont' want no part of Hunter or Jerome James, especially James unless we give him 10 days contracts because he responds well to paying for contracts.

I agree wholeheartedly. You can easily draft a big guy who is better than Hunter or Jerome James. Anyway, other GM's saw what you have seen and you would end up overpaying him. That's why I'm going to build my frontline thru the draft. 1) it's cheaper and I can mold them to my style.
crzymdups
USA
5/23/2005  1:30 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Exactly and we can acquire the rugged PF in the draft be it Taft, Frye or whomeever. This 'running center' theory is a load of crap. Do you think Pat, and Hakeem, and Kareem were running down the floor? A fast break means everyone isn't down the floor, thats why its a fast break.

The reason to like Hunter isn't that he's a running center, it's that he's 7 feet tall and can bang in the post, block shots and rebound. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want this for the MLE. It's not like I'm suggesting we trade our lotto or even the 30th pick...
¿ △ ?
Ira
Member: #91
5/23/2005  3:25 AM
The reason to like Hunter isn't that he's a running center, it's that he's 7 feet tall and can bang in the post, block shots and rebound. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want this for the MLE. It's not like I'm suggesting we trade our lotto or even the 30th pick...

Hunter's a pretty good player. He ranks 2nd in the league in blocks per 48 minutes. His major weakness is his foul shooting (career avg of 47%). He'd probably be worth the mid level exception. Another good young center who I'd consider for the mle is Milaukee's Dan Gadzuric. He's 2nd in the league in rebounds per 48 min and 18th in the league in blocks per 48 min. He also has a problem with free throws (career 52%).
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/23/2005  7:49 AM
Posted by Ira:

Hunter's a pretty good player. He ranks 2nd in the league in blocks per 48 minutes. His major weakness is his foul shooting (career avg of 47%). He'd probably be worth the mid level exception. Another good young center who I'd consider for the mle is Milaukee's Dan Gadzuric. He's 2nd in the league in rebounds per 48 min and 18th in the league in blocks per 48 min. He also has a problem with free throws (career 52%).
Yeah you can't dislike any of them too much, they are what they are, it just makes more sense to me to buy Memphis' pick and draft a guy like Channing Frye or Akindale or someone like that. Their cheaper and couldn't really be any worse than those guys, its not like we are talking about skilled players or anything. These guys are big and atheletic, Chris Taft could come in and be as good or better than Steven Hunter and Gadzuric. That being said I wouldn't be mad at acquiring either one of those guys.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2005  8:45 AM
to me Hunter is taller Nazr, and thats 100% ok. Maybe he's closer to a poor man's Mutumbo.

Sure you could probably draft someone as good, but why not do both?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/23/2005  9:38 AM
What are the similarities between Hunter and Nazy? Hunter's taller, more athletic, and a better shot-blocker. Nazy's stronger and a better offensive rebounder. There's a ton of players I think Hunter is more similar to than to Nazy
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/23/2005  10:25 AM
unskilled big athletic players. Dont take everything literally down to microscopic details. Maybe Hunter is a better fit, the point is talent wise its probably a wash. Yes.. they are different, and maybe Hunter is just a better fit for whatever reason. Rasho is a better player than Nazy but Naz seems to be a better fit for that team.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/23/2005  10:52 AM
Yeah, it depends on the team. Nazr has developed a couple of low post moves, mainly a turn around 8 footer, which is good. You can go to him every now and then. But when you were the Knicks (As I actually pointed out about last January) and you give the ball to him constantly (Like how the Knicks did), then the Knicks and his weaknesses are glaring, b/c he's nowhere even close to being a go to scorer.

Stephen Hunter on the other hand, partially fills a need that shines, and we need that shotblocking ever so desperately. So as Fish said, why not draft a big man, and go for Stephen Hunter. Not a bad idea, especially if that big man is Bynum (Someone who will take awhile.) However, if we can't get Hunter, I'd much rather just use part of the MLE on Ariza.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/23/2005  11:39 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

good to see I was right yet again about the Spurs beating the Suns. Let me say it again. Phoenix doesn't stand a chance against championship calibur teams with GREAT bigmen like Shaq and Duncan. Running doesn't win championships. I will take that to my grave!

Thank you for helping me realize and appreciate the importance of the Bigman Patrick!

I had the mavs beating the suns and I was wrong, but I thought that Dampier and Dirk could take the suns in the paint and make them pay, well that is what I get for going with a bum like Dampier... I also have the spurs handily winning this series, and that is because of the Duncan factor, but more than that, Horry, ginobili and parkers defense is going to be key, plus the outside shooting of horry and barry will be too much for the suns who don't defend anyway.. And so far parker has outplayed nash, he is making him work and the help defense is stout, but I agree, having that big man in the middle is awesome.... just goes to show how many miles apart a big man like duncan is ahead of a bum like Dampier...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/23/2005  12:19 PM
i'd rather have Gadzuric over Hunter personally...i think he has better basketball IQ, & plays very well in his team role...he would come in & be more of an instant impact than Hunter would imho.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Anyone watching what Stephen Hunter is doing today? (Game 1 vs SAN)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy