[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

insider
Author Thread
nykfan4ever
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #193
4/22/2002  6:47 PM
can somebory posts todays insider....it says something about trading francis...and a draft preview
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/22/2002  10:05 PM
Draft Rumors: Will Yao Ming go No. 1?

In case you missed it over the weekend, Yao Ming made it official and declared for the NBA draft.

His team in China, the Shanghai Sharks, says it will release him to play in the NBA next season, but had various demands. As Insider reported last Monday, Yao will make a trip to the United States within the next four to six weeks to work out for NBA teams. He'll likely pick a central place to work out (the rumor is Chicago during the pre-draft camps) and visit several teams, including the Knicks, Warriors and Wizards.

We won't know for sure where he'll land until the draft lottery takes place on May 19th, but it's doubtful he'll last past the second pick in the draft. If Chicago or (due to some David Stern lottery magic) the Knicks get the No. 1 pick, Yao could be the first foreign player in the NBA to go No. 1 sources tell Insider. . .

Maryland's Chris Wilcox will officially declare for the draft today the school said. Wilcox is considered a top 6 pick by most scouts. Though he's raw and was the third option in the Maryland offense, scouts love his athleticism, shot block ability and his pro body. Several scouts compared him to Antonio McDyess. . .

The Mario Austin saga took another wacky turn this weekend when he returned to Mississippi State, with all of his belongings in tow. Earlier, Austin had told ESPN.com that he would not return to school after officially declaring for the draft.

"I guess I was kind of surprised," MSU guard Timmy Bowers told the Jacksonville Clarion Ledger. "I had thought Mario wasn't going to come back. He told me that he felt he wasn't going to be a Top 20 pick or whatever. He wanted to come back and get better in some areas next year so he could be a higher pick." . . .

The L.A. Times is reporting that Jason Kapono is still leaning toward returning to UCLA for his senior season. Kapono would lose his eligibility if he declared for the draft, since it would be the second time he has done so.

"I am just not ready to make a decision or an announcement," he told the L.A. Times. . .

There's been a lot of speculation about whether JUCO star Antwain Barbour would play at Kentucky this year or declare for the draft.

Barbour, who is rated by scouts as one of the top 5 shooting guards in the draft and a mid-to late first-round pick, wants to play a year at Kentucky to help his draft stock get into the lottery.

"Something has to jump out at him pretty hard for him to lose focus on the college stuff," Wabash Valley coach Mark Nelson told the Lexington Herald Leader. "He's always planned to come to Kentucky. That was his plan from the get-go. For something to change that, it would have to be something he couldn't refuse." . . .

The Lexington Herald also talks with scouts Wayne Chapman and Jim Mitchell about the draftability of Tayshaun Prince.

"The consensus is 18 to 22," Mitchell said.

Chapman, a tad more optimistic, saw Prince picked "mid to late first round with an outside chance at a high lottery pick."

"The kid's smart," Mitchell said. "I think he used his intelligence more than quickness."

Said Chapman: "He's got basketball sense. I think he's going to make it. He's going to play and play a long time." . . .

Qyntel Woods is heading to Washington D.C. to work out with former NBA star Adrian Dantley in preparation for the draft.

"I thought it would be good, since [Woods] is young, to align him with a 16-year NBA veteran," agent Bill Strickland told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "I just thought it would be a good alignment to have Qyn work with a veteran like Adrian."

Strickland said the feedback he's been getting from scouts has all been positive. "Realistically, I think we're looking at the top end of the lottery."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/22/2002  10:05 PM
Francis wants max from Rockets

Steve Francis forsees a long relationship with the Rockets, if they give him a max contract extension this summer.

"I would love to," Francis told the Houston Chronicle. "I'm going to sign the contract. There's no debate about me wanting to be here. But at the same time, everybody has to be on the same page. I don't want to have a summer where I'm not connected with the team, because I've seen that happen where guys go home and they're having a debate. I don't even need my agent. I would love to play here."

The Rockets plan to do just that. "That's the way he's been all along," general manager Carroll Dawson said. "There's been no deviation. We've never gotten anything but that. When the team was on the road and he was in my office, the main thing he was talking about was leadership. It's on his mind. I guess it's maturing."

To alleviate any fears by the Rockets, Francis said investigating and treating his recurring migraine-like symptoms is an offseason priority.

The team would also like to sign Kenny Thomas to an extension this summer, despite the fact that they have Mo Taylor and Eddie Griffin also at that position.

"I hope that isn't a problem," Tomjanovich said. "We'll see how it works. I really think they all have versatility. I'd love to see it work."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
insider

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy