[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How much do you really hate Marbury?
Author Thread
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
5/4/2005  4:16 PM
Listening to all these trade ideas for Marbury my question is...

if you could right now eliminate Marbury and his contract for nothing, would you do it?

Another question, do you guys even want Marbury on the team?
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/4/2005  4:26 PM
I'm not a Marbury fan, but it's good that he's on the team and does MUCH MUCH more good for us than bad. However, there are other PGs in the league who can help, including Crawford, and if we can trade him to make the roster itself better and more flexible, then I'm all for doing that.

I don't like his attitude, but his game is all you can ask for. I am pretty stuck in the middle towards him, so therefore if it's for the right package, I'll trade him. But it has to be really good. The one I mentioned in the other thread is a decent trade.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
5/4/2005  4:28 PM
Yes, I want Marbury on this team. I don't hate him, but I of course would rather have a couple young guys that can be a big part of, what I would hope to be, a successful future. When you only have a 30 something win team and have a guy like Marbury, massive contract, can't carry a team, you have to be open to any and all possibilities. Unfortunately for us, Stephon isn't the only guy like that that we have.
As for just eliminating his contract, until a few seasons from now, it wouldn't serve much of a purpose. I'd like to try and surround him with a better supporting cast before we just get rid of him for nothing.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
5/4/2005  4:28 PM
What a ridiculous question.

I don't hate him at all, but he's nearing 30 and this team isn't close to contending for a championship. He is also a marketable asset. Consequently, it's in the teams best interests to move him to get younger assets.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/4/2005  4:31 PM
If it wasn't for his contract, I'd love him (apart from his piss poor defense). Unfortunately, his contract prevents us the flexibility to make moves that will help the team. I understand that I don't pay his contract, but his contract in addition to those of Houston, TT, and Penny handicap the Knicks to no end.

So that said, if I could eliminate his contract for nothing, I would.

I would want Marbury on the team only if we had some core franchise calibre big men already in place. If not, I think his talent is wasted here and we would be better off moving him to a place where he can succeed.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/4/2005  4:40 PM
Posted by Stevo718:

Listening to all these trade ideas for Marbury my question is...

if you could right now eliminate Marbury and his contract for nothing, would you do it?

Another question, do you guys even want Marbury on the team?

the trade ideas i post for Marbury all stem from the simple fact that he has the most trade value out of all our assets right now...that's the only reason why i use him to think up ideas to improve our team's future...it has nothing to do w/the fact that i hate him or don't want him on our team...

sometimes you actually have to GIVE something good to GET something good...you can't always get KG for a #8 pick & some crappy assets.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
5/4/2005  5:20 PM
I for one don't hate Steph at all, I think judging posters opinions on this board that one of his few supporters. I think Stephon puts up great numbers but wrongfully gets labeled as a loser because whenever he leaves a team, they do better but that will happen when Jason Kidd comes into the right situation and a team like Phoenix adds Steve Nash and their younger players(Amare, Joe Johnson, Marion) mature into the players that they are now and add a player like Quentin Richardson who more then fits into the style of play the team was looking for.

Stephon isn't for every NBA coach and for every NBA general manager in the NBA. He's a player that puts up stats that make him worthy of a MAX contract but he isn't a player that can win a game by himself from the guard position like Michael Jordan could and too a MUCH MUCH MUCH lesser extent Allen Iverson, whom has never won anything but has carried his team on his shoulders deep in the playoffs. I feel all Stephon needs with this Knicks team is a player in the frontcourt that he can TRUST and is athletic and is able to score points with his back to the basket. Too win in the NBA you need players around you unless you are a special case like guys I mentioned before.. even Kobe can't do it without Shaq and he has a much better supporting cast then Stephon does here with the Knicks.

There are pieces in place for this to happen and too me Stephon has matured immensly here in his second run then the first time he was with the Nets.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/4/2005  6:40 PM
Listen, If allan Houston was healthy, and TT played like the athletic big man he is, steph would be praise like nash. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that allan and TT was the sole reason we did not make the playoffs.

We struggled mightly against the zone with lenny, and herb, and there really wasn't much you can do without a perimeter player, or a post up player for the matter.

Steph is a great player crawford is a good player, these 2 can co exist if you have the proper coach with the proper plan. A hard nose coach who will beat blood out of both of them (figure of speech) for constantly breaking plays, as well as TT.

You can't hate steph, he's numbers are not mis leading like say....Kurt thomas or nazy. He is an impact player unlike the 2 i mention.
ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/4/2005  6:50 PM
guys awesome
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
5/4/2005  6:59 PM
I like him a lot. His contract is not that bad. He deserves to have a nice career with the Knicks.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/4/2005  7:04 PM
Posted by DarkKnicks:

I like him a lot. His contract is not that bad. He deserves to have a nice career with the Knicks.

if 18mil in 2008-09 isn't bad I don't know what it. thats KG, kobe, shaq type money!
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
5/4/2005  7:09 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by DarkKnicks:

if 18mil in 2008-09 isn't bad I don't know what it. thats KG, kobe, shaq type money!
Well, I said is not THAT bad. Anyway, I prefer giving him 18 mil than giving 10 mil to Foyle.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/4/2005  7:12 PM
i can't really think of any individual knick who had more talent outside of ewing.
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/4/2005  7:12 PM

He is not over paid, the guy has enormus talant puts up massive numbers on most nights, and if this team were in the playoffs making some noise his contract would never be a factor. Is only down fall is his sub par defense, like 85% of the league.
ES
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/4/2005  7:13 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by DarkKnicks:

it's a catch 22. you sign a guy to MAX dollars at the age of 26 and when he's 33, he's going to get $18/20 mil. that's just how it works.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/4/2005  7:14 PM
I'm sorry make that $22mil in 2008-09! wow!!!
MinsHeartsReezy
Member: #872
USA
5/4/2005  8:02 PM
Dont hate him at all! Besides...he's not the WORST contract on our books but the only guy out there close to earning it. He's the best player on this team hands down. (again...ignoring the lack of defense) People can call him selfish for "going out & getting his own" & getting his stats in even when we were blown out, but shouldnt the coach be the one taking him out? Cant blame a guy for making the score less embarassing when no one else stepped up. We dont have a franchise player, why put all the heat on Marbs. He's still learning & we're rebuilding...I just hope the t e a m learns to work together over the summer.
Ira
Member: #91
5/5/2005  2:34 AM
I don't hate him and I wouldn't trade him unless we got good value and a younger player. The difficulty, as pointed out, is that we're not a good team and he's getting older.
How much do you really hate Marbury?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy