[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Yankee win predictions

Author Poll
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
How many games will the Yankees win this season?
70 to 80
80 to 85
85 to 90
90 to 95
95 to 100
100+
View Results

Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/3/2005  11:17 PM
I posted this because no matter how bad the Knicks were, many of us (including me) would always say, "at least there's the Yankees." But now even that's not clear. The pitching other than Randy and Pavano and Rivera is entirely undependable and the team only has four good hitters. I still think it's enough for Randy and Pavano to each win about 17 to 19 games and for the team to finish with around 85 wins, but that's a disaster for the Yankees.
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/4/2005  12:22 AM
I was one of those who would always say that...

I would like to know but everything related to the Yankees is a mystery to me. Yeah, they didn't make the right decisions in terms of signs this offseason, but no one, not even the Yankee haters, expected such a pathetic play from the Bombers. Whatever happened to the Murderer's Row? What about the big three of Randy, Pavano and Moose> Not even that is going right. Amazing that we practically have no punch on offense. Hate to see that the team still has guys like Giambi and K. Brown. Its a whole mess. You can see in Torre's face that he has no idea what has happened. Its like a dead team. The oposition is always more aggressive than us. What else can I say? I hate the "relief" pitching. Everything's a mess. And now the Yanks are calling prospects that I expect they can help.

Even when they win, like their last win, it didn't look like Yankee baseball. The team is missing something. They don't look like Yanks, most of them... Sad...
Knicks_Fan
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
5/4/2005  6:59 AM
Let's face it. The team is screwed until we get rid of guys like Moose, Wright, Brown, Giambi, Womack, Bernie and Karsay and replace it with young cheaper talent. This process can be expidited by trading each of these guys to other teams at bargain prices and putting some young players in there. I know it sucks to just *give* away so much salary, but we need some youth and enthusiasm. We have too many guys making SO much money that they may or may not care whether we win or not.

I like playing the rookie kid at 2B. That's a start, IMHO. Brown and Giambi are tradable if we eat 3/4 of their salary. At this point, I say, do it. Wright and Mussina are wastes, but you can hang on to them for a while in the short term. The bullpen has guys who are tradable, if we, again, eat some of the salary. I'd like to get a few young kids in the bullpen and see what we can do.

The thing the Yankees have to realize is being able to spend $200+ MM doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can't put a star at every position. Guys just get complacent and wind up being heavily overpaid. We have too many guys making closer $$$ and playing like scrubs. We have too many guys making star $$$ and playing like role players at best. I do agree that this kind of reminds you of the Layden days with the Knicks, in that there's just so many overpaid guys that it's sickening. Something needs to be done about it, even if that something is getting rid of the passive attitudes, eating salary and getting some young guys in there to spark things.
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
5/4/2005  8:44 AM
f*** da yankess
go mets
go jets
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/4/2005  10:21 AM
the 200m by the yanks is a bit misleading, some of those guys are in their last year, after this year, we lose about 40 mil, espeically with brown and Bernies contracts comming off the books, so lets drop the salary thing... I think htat we need to move brown and giambi for younger talent, and eat most of their deals, there are teams that will take the chance on Brown since his deal is for just one year, Giambi, maybe he can find a resurgance in the west coast...

Yanks will be fine... after a 8 game winning streak, all things will be forgotten..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/4/2005  10:58 AM
That's the short term thinking that might be getting us into this hole. How did we win 4 championships? We made smart trades (O'Neal, Cone, Chuck, Key and we found a replacement for Mattingly when it was clear he was retiring, in Tino. Nice replacement.) We brought in youngin's from the farm. (Bernie, Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Jorge, Mendoza ect..) This was a group that mixed and matched perfectly, and there wasn't ONE superstar. Just a bunch of very good players with no egos, and that's not the case today. We're clearly not winning championships with all stars and former all stars at each position. Why not take the blue print from the early 90s and start to blow things up?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/4/2005  11:13 AM
where is Gene Michael? I think George & Cashman are running the show now whereas it was Gene in the 90s. The fact that Gene hasn't been running this team is the biggest reason they are where they are today. We need to develop the next Jeter, Pettite, Bernie, Mariano, & Posada in the minors not trade them everytime a big name comes up. Look at all the good players we gave up on too soon. Lowell, Lilly, Halsey, Brazelton, Milton & Pena.

I would much rather have one of these guys than Brown & Wright. We also let go a big game performer in Lieber. We need more clutch guys like Lieber, matsui, sheffield not less.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/04/2005 14:07:23]
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/4/2005  11:18 AM
Don't forget about letting El duque and Cairo go.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
gunsnewing
USA
5/4/2005  11:34 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Don't forget about letting El duque and Cairo go.

oh yeah. For whatever reason they never give Duque credit. He would come in handy right now the way he did last year I don't care how old he is. He gets it done!

I loved the Womack deal because I thought it was made so that we can have a true lead off hitter and he's just as clutch as Cairo if not more. Instead now we have one of our best hitters who actually gets hits with runners in scoring position in Jeter leading off!

I wish they would go with:
Womack(until they can bring in Pierre to replace Bernie at CF)
Jeter
A-Rod
Sheffied
Matsui

the rest of the order is a mess. All those guys are finished. I had a good feeling Posada was finished after the awful playoffs he had last year and I've been right so far. He has 2 HRs. There are backup catchers who have more after the 1st 25games!

Giambi isn't the same player he was his 1st 2 yrs and tino is a defensive spealistic at best at this point. Can at least 1 of these 3 get hot so the lineup can have some balance!

And I was being patient with Brown. I thought he was just rounding into form since he didn't have a spring training and he looked good his last outing. But after lastnight's embarrasment in Tampa I'm all for buying him and Giambi out and getting younger. A team might actually take Brown & Bernie off our hands since they are in their final contract year. Giambi is a lost cause we just have to buy him out!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/4/2005  11:34 AM
Milton turned into Knoublach, who helped us to win 2 rings during that run, so I have no problem with that..

as far as blowing things up, I don't know, the yanks still have pieces, we just need some more smart moves, and to remove some of this dead weight...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
gunsnewing
USA
5/4/2005  11:45 AM
they have to trade these dead weight players including Posada for prospects while they still have some value. If they wait it could be years before they win again. They have a great semi-young talented core in jeter, A-rod, Matsui and Pavano but they have to add guys who are younger to that mix not guys who are nearing 40 and finished. I will not be shocked if Posada and co are traded within the next few weeks if this continues.
OT: Yankee win predictions

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy