Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/3/2005  8:30 PM
Tuesday, May 3, 2005
Decision clouds Brown's future in Washington
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Wizards suspended forward Kwame Brown on Tuesday for the remainder of the playoffs.

The announcement came after Brown, coach Eddie Jordan and president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld met for about 10 minutes before the team's practice.

"We had some philosophical differences," Grunfeld said, "and we're putting those behind us and focusing on the job at hand."

Brown won't travel with the team or participate in any practices for the remainder of the season. The Wizards are tied with the Chicago Bulls 2-2 in their Eastern Conference first-round series. Game 5 is Wednesday in Chicago.

"We're not going to get into specifics. We're going to do things a certain way. These players are committed to that," said Grunfeld, referring to the remaining players on the roster. "And those are the type of players we want around us."

Brown played only four minutes in the Game 3 victory Saturday, then didn't attend practice Sunday and Game 4 Monday. The team had said he was absent because of a stomach virus.

Asked whether Brown was sick, Grunfeld said: "He talked to our trainer and he told him he had a stomach flu."

Asked whether Brown was upset over a lack of playing time, Grunfeld said: "Everybody likes to play as much as they can. That's typical for the NBA."

The team's action throws into doubt Brown's future with the team. He turned down a multiyear contract extension last fall, which means he will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Grunfeld had previously said he would like to keep Brown. On Tuesday, he was more ambiguous.

"He's still part of our organization," Grunfeld said. "We'll deal with that in the offseason. He's going to be a restricted free agent in the summer, and we'll deal with that at the appropriate time."

A message left for Brown's agent was not immediately returned.

Brown has been a major disappointment for the Wizards since becoming the first high school player chosen No. 1 overall in the NBA draft in 2001. After a miserable two years dealing with the demanding Michael Jordan, Brown showed glimpses of his potential last season when he followed a 30-point, 19-rebound game against Sacramento with a 27 and 11 performance against Atlanta, but he often languished in single digits.

He averaged 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds for the season, just enough improvement for the Wizards to hope that his long awaited breakout was on the horizon.

But Brown broke a bone in his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the season on the injured list. He played in just 42 games, starting 14, and was essentially a big-body role player off the bench. He averaged 7.0 points and 4.9 rebounds and was frequently booed at home.

Brown's numbers were much better on the road, a result, he claimed, of the treatment he received from the Wizards' fans. Gilbert Arenas even appealed to fans not to boo Brown before the Wizards' first home playoff game Saturday. The fans responded by cheering Brown graciously when he entered the game for his four minutes of play.
AUTOADVERT
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
5/3/2005  8:43 PM
Hmm, seems like Brown will be available this offseason. Clearly, his value couldn't be lower. What would Washington want in return? Kurt Thomas?
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #737
USA
5/3/2005  8:50 PM
i suggest not 2 go after kwame brown... he is garbage...
i never liked him and he SUCKS!

one person whose potential is great is.... DALEMBERT!!
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/3/2005  9:02 PM
sounds like a big baby to me...i can't stand players who put themselves before the team, especially when they're involved in the biggest playoff series that franchise has seen in years...if he can't take booing in WAS, he definitely won't be able to handle NY...forget him...he may have potential but he doesn't have the right mental makeup to be successful here.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/3/2005  11:07 PM
Posted by MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK:

i suggest not 2 go after kwame brown... he is garbage...
i never liked him and he SUCKS!

one person whose potential is great is.... DALEMBERT!!
Brown may just be in a bad situation. He looked like a nice young player last year. If all it takes to get him is Kurt, it's a good gamble for us. You can still pursue Dalembert. Don't use up any big trade assets on Kwame that you could use on more important players.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/3/2005  11:27 PM
Maybe he is pulling a "mini-Vince" kinda tank to be free from the Wiz.
Masterplan
Member: #362
5/3/2005  11:42 PM
kurt for kwame? what's the catch? how can we do better than that for KT? we lose some production in points and rebounds, but get younger, more athletic, get someone over 6'9. seriously, if we can move kurt for at least a passable center we gotta pull the trigger before the other dude has second thoughts.

[Edited by - Masterplan on 05/03/2005 23:43:14]
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
5/4/2005  12:13 AM
Posted by Masterplan:

kurt for kwame? what's the catch? how can we do better than that for KT? we lose some production in points and rebounds, but get younger, more athletic, get someone over 6'9. seriously, if we can move kurt for at least a passable center we gotta pull the trigger before the other dude has second thoughts.

[Edited by - Masterplan on 05/03/2005 23:43:14]

i agree...but i wouldnt give up anything more.
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
5/4/2005  4:25 AM
If Isiah can get Kwame for Kurt and the 30th pick he's gotta do it. Kwame is simply a kid that needs a change of scenery or for the public to lay off. Exactly as i've said about Curry and Chandler in the past, Kwame gets racked over the coals despite his age and please spare me any talk like what you would do if you were in that situation because it's all speculation. If Isiah has a chance to get Kwame he'd be best to make that move. He's gonna get booed wherever he goes but when it comes down to it it's about the situation. Let Isiah get him and give this kid a fresh start...clean slate so to speak and no...this ain't Tim Thomas.

I just had a vision, the Nets will get Kwame in a trade for Cliff Robinson and Jason Collins and a pick. I hope i'm wrong.

Oh, and for the love of pretzels, we are not getting Dalembert. Why would Phili trade him? What does it take to get that through our skulls.
Nalod
USA
5/4/2005  8:41 AM
Kwame value has really dropped. Doesn't washington have to make a qualifying offer first to keep his restricted rights?

I would trade sweets straight up for him. I would draft a big, and keep kurt for experience sake. Come trade deadline I would see where we are, and unless we are really in the thick of things, then I would move kurt then. The Wiz did well getthing Jamison and Arenas for nothing and can afford to move forward without Kwame.

One thing, NYC is a tough place to restart!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/4/2005  10:16 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Kwame value has really dropped. Doesn't washington have to make a qualifying offer first to keep his restricted rights?

I would trade sweets straight up for him. I would draft a big, and keep kurt for experience sake. Come trade deadline I would see where we are, and unless we are really in the thick of things, then I would move kurt then. The Wiz did well getthing Jamison and Arenas for nothing and can afford to move forward without Kwame.

One thing, NYC is a tough place to restart!

I agree nalod, and Kwame is a small town kid from here in GA. I feel for him, he is just lost, I heard that he was buying new clothes almost every week when he first got to the pros, because he didn't know that he could or should take his dirty clothes to the cleaners. I don't know how true that is, but I know how a lot of these small town kids can get culture shock, when they hit the big city... I like the kid and I think he can help the knicks... He can play, thats for sure, NY is a tough place, but at times understanding.. so who knows..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/4/2005  10:34 AM
just a heads up they gave up a #4 pick (Devin Harris) to get Jamison. I dont know about giving them Sweetney. Maybe. I would rather use a guy like Malik, JYD or KT in a sign and trade. Give him a shot for 4 years. He's so young, if he ever grew up he would be a beast.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knick2001
Member: #83
5/4/2005  10:52 AM
Give him a shot for 4 years. He's so young, if he ever grew up he would be a beast.

I couldn't agree more.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/4/2005  11:27 AM
kwame MLE and that's it unless they want malik or jyd.

i have a feeling, after striking out with swift, that kwame may end up in new jersey.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/4/2005  11:38 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

kwame MLE and that's it unless they want malik or jyd.

i have a feeling, after striking out with swift, that kwame may end up in new jersey.

you may be right. NJ's assets aren't good enough to get a guy like Rahim or Swift but the trade exceptions might actually force Wash to pull the trigger since Kwame's value is so low.
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
5/4/2005  12:12 PM
I like Kwame. Anyone but Kurt. Kwame Brown is younger, and we need to get younger. Kurt is at a high point in his career, or was last season, so we need to trade. What are their stay comparisons? Can someone please post?
Nalod
USA
5/4/2005  12:59 PM
I feel bad for this kid, and I think his story should be told often. Not every HS kid that goes lotto is going to be a sucess. Think he might trade in some of his early money for some happiness? Fulfillment, etc? This kid was ill prepared for the cut throat biz of being a professional. He was suduced by the millions, and the NBA gets suduced by the potential.

does he still have the potential? OR did the REAL world beat him down? I read stories how he did not know how to get anything but popeyes fried chicken, or how to get his clothes cleaned his rookie year. That might be small stuff compared to the financial vultures who swarm a kid and his family (family vultures too).

Its everykids dream to play in the NBA, but this kid is a good reason for having an age limit. Overall you will have better equipted kids. Raise the rookie minimum and those 18 yr olds won't lose much by waiting a year or two, yet they grow up a little more.

The best will still be great, some might fall, but they would fall anyway, and some will exceed than had they gone straight after High school. It will all even out.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/4/2005  2:06 PM
Good post, Nalod. Very true.

If the Knicks somehow got Brown, fans should be soo patient because he is really a kid. Look at how bad the booing of the Wiz fans affected this kid. He plays better on the road! If we did got him, we would have to see him as a project, but first of all a human project. By that I mean, you have to help him with any personal problem he has had so far. Help his human personal side and he will feel free to play basketball like he may want to do...
Knicks_Fan
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/4/2005  2:55 PM
Posted by Nalod:

I feel bad for this kid, and I think his story should be told often. Not every HS kid that goes lotto is going to be a sucess. Think he might trade in some of his early money for some happiness? Fulfillment, etc? This kid was ill prepared for the cut throat biz of being a professional. He was suduced by the millions, and the NBA gets suduced by the potential.

does he still have the potential? OR did the REAL world beat him down? I read stories how he did not know how to get anything but popeyes fried chicken, or how to get his clothes cleaned his rookie year. That might be small stuff compared to the financial vultures who swarm a kid and his family (family vultures too).

Its everykids dream to play in the NBA, but this kid is a good reason for having an age limit. Overall you will have better equipted kids. Raise the rookie minimum and those 18 yr olds won't lose much by waiting a year or two, yet they grow up a little more.

The best will still be great, some might fall, but they would fall anyway, and some will exceed than had they gone straight after High school. It will all even out.
I think alot of that has to do with the Wizards organization, and the league in general. How is there nothing in place to help him. Where are the players, coaches, assts, to mentor him. I think Isiah would be great for him, and i think Isiah could get our fans to be patient with him. I also think Isiah could get guys like Steph and others to step up and help him. Kinda like how Steph did with Ariza, letting him live with him and stuff.
Decision clouds Brown's future in Washington

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy