[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

not off topic... Yankees:
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/3/2005  7:55 AM
so after a bad month they are benching a guy that makes over $15mm and bringing up a 22 year kid to play 2nd every day replacing a veteran player coming off a career year they just signed.

Whatever that team needs they do. They need some enthusiasm. They need to inject youth into the everyday team, so they do.

They have made some bad FA signings the last couple of years but they dont sit on their mistakes and let them fester. They move on.

At least one owner in this city actually understands winning
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/3/2005  8:05 AM
are you referring to mr dolan?

big difference between baseball and its salary structure and what basketball can do
fishmike
USA
5/3/2005  8:12 AM
but there is no difference in fixing something thats not working by trying something different.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/3/2005  8:25 AM
I like to think the Mets are the Knicks of baseball. Both are up there as the dumbest franchise in Sports. You know the was a time when the Knicks did things the right way. Until Dolan took over!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/3/2005  8:32 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I like to think the Mets are the Knicks of baseball. Both are up there as the dumbest franchise in Sports. You know the was a time when the Knicks did things the right way. Until Dolan took over!

now you've got me picturing Sweets as Mo Vaughn. i had always thought of him as Cecil Fielder. I think you may have a point though.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/3/2005  8:34 AM
Posted by fishmike:

so after a bad month they are benching a guy that makes over $15mm and bringing up a 22 year kid to play 2nd every day replacing a veteran player coming off a career year they just signed.

Whatever that team needs they do. They need some enthusiasm. They need to inject youth into the everyday team, so they do.

They have made some bad FA signings the last couple of years but they dont sit on their mistakes and let them fester. They move on.

At least one owner in this city actually understands winning
Was yesterday the first Yankee game you watched all season?
fishmike
USA
5/3/2005  8:38 AM
I have season tickets homer
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/3/2005  8:52 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I have season tickets homer
Okay...I'm a bit puzzled by your assessment of the team then. They look like they have an owner who hired and kept a with a bad plan. With unlimited funds and no salary cap, I think even Layden could have pulled off a 60% winning percentage over a four year span with zero championships.

so after a bad month they are benching a guy that makes over $15mm and bringing up a 22 year kid
How about similar minutes to a 19 year old rookie (Trevor) than to a veteran making about $15 mil per year (Penny)?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/03/2005 08:57:25]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/3/2005  8:54 AM
This is nothing!

look on ESPN the Yankees are shaking things up!

Bringing in the top prospect 2B Robinson Cano moving Womack to left and Matsui to Center and Bernie, Giambi and Sierra to split time as DH! and another nice prospect Sean Henn was called up to replace Karsay.

That is shaking things up man! if only the Knicks would've done the same when it became apparent that they would never win with the same mediocre overpaid injury prone veterans
fishmike
USA
5/3/2005  9:11 AM
Thats what I mean Guns... good reply. Why wait?
Cano will make mistakes. But he will also inject that line up with the kind of enthusiasm only youth brings. Now the Yankees have title caliber talent and the Knicks dont, but who knows how good we could have been if Ariza replaced TT after *his* first month of shooting 37%.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/3/2005  9:38 AM
Well, I've been saying or a couple of years now that the core players from the championship teams are either gone or pretty much way past their primes, besides Jeter, and he could possibly be at the tail end. They can't continue to rely on going after the Giambis (older0 and the Randy Johnsons (41!!) and not expect an eventual downfall. Lets face it, depending on RJ to be your #1 is a big risk b/c of his age. And so far, he has been inconsistent this year. I totally agree it's important that the Yankees need to freshen up the team with some youth, and just gradually rebuild (kinda like the Pacers, but it's baseball) and find some guys who can take over for good (eventually in the long run) for the Bernies, Posadas and how dare I say Rivera.

It's good that they are giving guys like Andy Philips a serious look though. Hopefully it's not for trade bait. I really pray not, b/c some of these kids are kinda promising.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/3/2005  9:50 AM
Thats why I would love for basketball to have the same minors system baseball does. Keep the cap because its fair, but with the nice talent thats out there it would be nice that NBA teams could take their time to develope players and when they really thing they are ready they call them up. Wouldn't it be better for these kids to have a real chance at playing than jumping to the big league and sit on the bench? And please, don't mention the NBDL, thats not what Im talking about...
Knicks_Fan
Knicksfan
USA
5/3/2005  9:59 AM
The Yankees don't have to worry about making a good impression. They are the Yanks, the most historic and successful franchise. They worry about actually winning, not about their look. The Knicks, meanwhile, have destroyed themselves trying to build something that looks to fans as an improvement, but they don't know that fans know better. Layden made terrible trades because, in a dumb way, he wanted to send the message that the Knicks were re-tooling because they still wanted to win now. Even now with Isiah its more about how we look than how we perform as a team.

Yeah, baseball's salary structure helps teams like the Yanks, willing to spend, although they haven't made good signings lately. But in the end it comes down to who makes the best deals and who is really committed to winning. For years, the Yankees have. Not the same with the Knicks, unfortunately...
Knicks_Fan
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/3/2005  10:11 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Thats what I mean Guns... good reply. Why wait?
Cano will make mistakes. But he will also inject that line up with the kind of enthusiasm only youth brings. Now the Yankees have title caliber talent and the Knicks dont, but who knows how good we could have been if Ariza replaced TT after *his* first month of shooting 37%.

Steinbrenner is smart, he knows he has a legit superstar and winner in Jeter, he also has two other super talented players in A-rod and Sheff, so he knows that placing a few rookies in the lineup is not going to hurt this team too bad, remember we won the AL with young guys like Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera starting. People keep saying the yankees have no farm system, that is pure BS... The yanks over the last few years have been stocking that system and last year we had 4 of the first 40 picks in the draft I think, from losing wells and pettite to Free agency we were compensated with first round picks.. anwyway this shake up was long overdue, I like bernie but he has slowed down dramatically, It is not his fault, just father time, but at least the yanks are willing to make those types of moves, Bernie is in the last year of his contract, time to make some moves, we also need to move some dead weight, like giamib, gordon and quantrill.....

The knicks wish they were run like the Yanks, another big difference, the knicks owner is a self proclaimed idiot, when it comes to basketball knowledge.. Steinbrenner Prides himself on building winners, and his knowledge of the game...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/3/2005  10:12 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

the Mets actually have a plan this year...they've made some very good signings, have some very talented young players in their system & are an exciting team to watch...maybe the Knicks could take some pointers.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/3/2005  10:16 AM
that's why i really don't have any confidence in us actually playing those draft picks.

if butler and especially ariza couldn't see the light of day after the season was lost, why in the hell would we play 3 rooks significant minutes?

no PF we draft will get any burn behind the $100 mil in front of him. there will be no C at #8.

trade big contracts for big contracts, shuffle around players that don't mix well and keep acquiring players with same skill set, and when all else fails, fire the coach - that's the knicks idea of "shaking things up"
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/3/2005  10:20 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Well, I've been saying or a couple of years now that the core players from the championship teams are either gone or pretty much way past their primes, besides Jeter, and he could possibly be at the tail end. They can't continue to rely on going after the Giambis (older0 and the Randy Johnsons (41!!) and not expect an eventual downfall. Lets face it, depending on RJ to be your #1 is a big risk b/c of his age. And so far, he has been inconsistent this year. I totally agree it's important that the Yankees need to freshen up the team with some youth, and just gradually rebuild (kinda like the Pacers, but it's baseball) and find some guys who can take over for good (eventually in the long run) for the Bernies, Posadas and how dare I say Rivera.

It's good that they are giving guys like Andy Philips a serious look though. Hopefully it's not for trade bait. I really pray not, b/c some of these kids are kinda promising.

I agree with your post except for jeter being at the tail end, I think his defense has gotten better, and he still is only 30, I hardly call that the tail end. If anything the yanks can add some young pieces and retool for another 5 year run with Jeter, A-rod, along with pavano and rivera.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Knicksfan
USA
5/3/2005  10:37 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

that's why i really don't have any confidence in us actually playing those draft picks.

if butler and especially ariza couldn't see the light of day after the season was lost, why in the hell would we play 3 rooks significant minutes?

no PF we draft will get any burn behind the $100 mil in front of him. there will be no C at #8.

trade big contracts for big contracts, shuffle around players that don't mix well and keep acquiring players with same skill set, and when all else fails, fire the coach - that's the knicks idea of "shaking things up"

Knicks_Fan
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/3/2005  10:55 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Allanfan20:

I agree with your post except for jeter being at the tail end, I think his defense has gotten better, and he still is only 30, I hardly call that the tail end. If anything the yanks can add some young pieces and retool for another 5 year run with Jeter, A-rod, along with pavano and rivera.....

My bad bro, I meant more like tail end of his prime, certainly not career. And I agree with everything you said. his defense has gotton better. I just hope he continues to hit .340 for the season, b/c he's been one of the bright spots of the team this year. I just don't see him repeating that much more. He is becoming a much smarter hitter however. He has been walking a hell of a lot this season.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/3/2005  11:53 AM
Yankees are in trouble this season, it's clear, but at least they're not sitting on their hands blindly assuming everything will be OK...they are PROACTIVE, unlike the Knicks.

btw, if any of you are Yankee fans, we post game threads & other news articles daily...the link is in my sig...the more the merrier.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
not off topic... Yankees:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy