[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KG Available?!!!
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/2/2005  9:30 PM
I forgot about the possibility of getting Big Z too!

I wonder if there would still be people complaining about Z when both Garnett and Marbury are halfcourt players. Z would be the pefect fit

OMG!!!!! what a team that would be!
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
5/2/2005  10:31 PM
Can someone please explain why Minnesota is going to trade away their MVP candidate for not even a single starter that would be with the team for longer than 1 year? The T-Wolves would be crucified for trading away KG for 2 pieces of crap, 2 prospects who project to be role players and only one decent lottery pick that is barely in the top 10.

It's one thing to tear it down completely when you have nothing (like the Knicks should have done before the Marbury trade) but something completely different when you already have the superstar to build around. Franchise players are so hard to come by (See Knicks) that you can't trade your only one without getting, at the very least, an all star in return.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/2/2005  10:33 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Cookdcokehop:

i doubt allan houston will ever play a game as a knick again, but other than that i like that line up
Lets hope so.

Lol, Silver, you never change.

Well, its so great to dream! Garnett and Marbury reunited in NY. Also Big Z coming. And with the third pick of the draft we select Williams or Green. We need a break somewhere, so if at least one of these happened...
Knicks_Fan
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/2/2005  10:37 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Can someone please explain why Minnesota is going to trade away their MVP candidate for not even a single starter that would be with the team for longer than 1 year? The T-Wolves would be crucified for trading away KG for 2 pieces of crap, 2 prospects who project to be role players and only one decent lottery pick that is barely in the top 10.

It's one thing to tear it down completely when you have nothing (like the Knicks should have done before the Marbury trade) but something completely different when you already have the superstar to build around. Franchise players are so hard to come by (See Knicks) that you can't trade your only one without getting, at the very least, an all star in return.

you'd be amazed at the excitement level of some people towards prospects and the Draft especially Minnesota who haven't had a draft pick in years and can't win with KG
Knicksfan
USA
5/2/2005  10:57 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Hey Isles! Nice to see you back with your great optimism!
Knicks_Fan
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/2/2005  11:05 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

It's in the previous Sports Illustrated April 25th edition on Page 42 w/Amare & Shaq on the cover.

not the new May 2nd edition

Its not an article. Its really short and said exactly what I said in the 1st part of my post. Its in the nba updates/hot stove column in pg. 42

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 05/02/2005 20:54:18]
Yeah, I read it too. I thought about posting it here, but I didn't because it didn't even have a source quoted or anything.

TMS: you have to get a whole lot better than Penny, TT, #8 pick, a #30 pick & Sweetney (who really is not much of an asset if you ask me) if you're giving up a superstar like Kevin Garnett...if the Knicks were to win the lottery & get Bogut, that is the ONLY way i see them having a remote chance of landing KG in any trade.
Fish's deal included a 2008 pick and huge payroll savings for Minn. Ariza could be included and Crawford if Minn wants him. If Minn solely wants to make money and plans to explore trading Garnett, they won't do better than this as no team will absorb every one of their bad contracts, give them a lottery pick, three additional 1st rd picks, and nice young players.
If Minn wants to win the championship, they'd still consider Fish's proposed offer, but a few other teams would probably have superior competing offers.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/02/2005 23:06:09]
islesfan
5/2/2005  11:06 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by islesfan:

you'd be amazed at the excitement level of some people towards prospects and the Draft especially Minnesota who haven't had a draft pick in years and can't win with KG

Show me one T-Wolves fan who would be excited about trading KG for mediocre prospects and a mid lottery pick.

I can just picture the press conference:

"We have some good news and bad news. Bad news is that we traded KG. The Good news is that we got back a couple of prospects, the 8th pick in the draft, the last 1st rd pick in next years draft and Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway."

Can you just feel the excitement? McHale better get his family out of town before he announces that trade.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
5/2/2005  11:09 PM
Posted by BigAppleStar3:

Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway, Mike Sweetney, Trevor Ariza, 2 Future 1st Round picks for Kevin Garnett, Wally Szczerbiak and Troy Hudson

Minnesota get's almost $30M in expiring contracts, two pretty good young prospects in Sweets in Ariza, 2 future 1st Rounders (something they have no had in years thanks to the Joe Smith fiasco) and they get rid of bad contracts in Wally and Hudson. They also will have enough cap room available in 2006 to go after Yao Ming or Amare Stoudemire. They might also be bad enough to draft Greg Oden.

Thats the best trade I have ever read on this board.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
5/2/2005  11:15 PM
Show me one T-Wolves fan who would be excited about trading KG for mediocre prospects and a mid lottery pick.

"We have some good news and bad news. Bad news is that we traded KG. The Good news is that we got back a couple of prospects, the 8th pick in the draft, the last 1st rd pick in next years draft and Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway."

Can you just feel the excitement? McHale better get his family out of town before he announces that trade.

Dude he would have to get out of the country if he pulled that - dumbest GM of our Generation followed closely beside Mitch K in L.A.

To Quote Shaq, "thats what happens when you trade a legend, just ask Orlando"
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Knicksfan
USA
5/2/2005  11:25 PM
Posted by islesfan:

LOL!!
Knicks_Fan
islesfan
5/2/2005  11:34 PM
I can also see McHale wanting to help out Isiah like that by trading him KG for nothing. Sure, destroy his own career while helping out his buddy Isiah. Yeah, this is definitely happening.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/2/2005  11:36 PM
Posted by islesfan:

i actually think that's a very fair assessment...islesfan isn't saying anything that's overly pessimistic here...it's just ridiculous to think KG would be traded here for what NY has to offer unless we somehow won the lottery this year & got the #1 overall pick.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
30andOverClub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #876
5/3/2005  12:19 AM
I agree that I doubt this would happen, but strange things certainly have occurred, even in the very recent past. It's all in what the GM envisions he needs for his team. Stephon got traded to NY for nothing but scrubs, terrible picks, and cap space. Vince Carter got traded to NJ for even less.

McHale might look at Garnett as a guy who he's invested almost 10 years in with very little in return because they haven't sniffed a championship (maybe last year counts). This, despite the fact that he's a top 5 player in the league. Plus, Minny doesn't have much wiggle room either. What assets are they using to upgrade their team from out of the playoffs this year to championship material next year or anytime in the near future?

Eh, I know I'm being devil's advocate here, but I think it's fair to say that actual NBA trades are rarely, if ever, predicted by the fans. It almost comes down to one man's opinion and none of us is Kevin McHale. Maybe he's looking for a clean slate; if so, NY could give it to him.

As an aside guys, what would Minny do in your opinions, if they want to set themselves up for a championship? They obviously can't stand pat. What do you think?
TMS
USA
5/3/2005  12:42 AM
he's a top 5 player in the league.

you said it all right there...Marbury & Vince's cases are entirely different...Vince was a malcontent who was doing everything in his power to get out of TOR...he was also not very durable either...the Suns traded Marbury to get the cap room to sign Steve Nash & Quentin Richardson & retool their offense w/good veteran talent to surround Amare with.

imo, if MIN wants to set themselves up for a run at a championship, trading KG is not the answer...in fact, ironically enough, if i were them, i'd be looking into what it might take to get Stephon Marbury in a trade to return to MIN...an offer of Wally Szcerbiak, Sam Cassell's expiring contract & the #14 pick for Stephon might be something that would help get them to the next level...that would also give the Knicks some good cap relief as Cassell's contract expires after next season, & Wally would give the Knicks a good shooter to complement Crawford on the perimeter that i think he would work alot better with than Marbury, since Stephon likes to dominate the ball & so does Jamal if he wants to be at his best.

imo, that's alot more realistic & could very well be a deal Isiah might be interested in, especially if Phil Jackson were to come to NY to coach...i think he likes Jamal & every triangle needs a good shooter like Wally to be successful...w/the 3 1st round picks & MLE, the Knicks would be hardpressed not to come out of the draft w/o at least 1 starting calibre bigman.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/3/2005  7:23 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by islesfan:

i actually think that's a very fair assessment...islesfan isn't saying anything that's overly pessimistic here...it's just ridiculous to think KG would be traded here for what NY has to offer unless we somehow won the lottery this year & got the #1 overall pick.
Well... it doesnt take one factor into consideration. We have Isiah Thomas and the rest of the league doesnt. We always have a chance for magic!!!!
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
5/3/2005  9:41 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by BigAppleStar3:

Thank you Miss Cleo.

ha, try thinking up an original line...you know i already bestowed that title on diderotn...but let me know if you want your fortune read...i'll ask him if he offers a 2 for 1 special.

let's see, the TWolves would be looking for cap room & young talent/draft picks you say? i thought i just outlined the fact that LA would have expiring contracts as well as talented young players & a lottery pick to offer MIN should they decide to make a deal?

you telling me the Lakers couldn't put together a more attractive package for MIN using Odom (allstar in his prime), Butler (talented young player making peanuts), Devean George (expiring contract & young solid player), Atkins (expiring contract & solid starter), Vlade (expiring contract), the #10 pick, Medvedenko (solid player making peanuts), Mihm (young C making peanuts) that would be more attractive to MIN than TT (expiring contract & gutless wonder), Penny (expiring contract & gimpy malcontent), the #8 pick, the #30 pick, KT (old, slow, signed longterm), Sweetney (young, slow, overweight) or whatever else the Knicks have to offer???
Minnesota might like Mo' Taylor, who expires in 2007, for Trenton Hassell.

you do know that Mo makes about twice as much as Hassell does, don't you? that doesn't even work under the CBA...how that makes any sense is beyond me...a team looking to cut salary isn't going to be interested in Mo Taylor...at least a guy like Odom gives you an allstar player to replace KG, & you still have expiring contracts coming back from LA to unload Wally's contract who are very solid & serviceable players in their own right.

Again, if Kevin McHale really wants to trade Kevin Garnett, he must start over completely. That means no long term contracts. That means having draft picks and futute cap space. That means being bad enough to draft the next KG (Greg Oden). And you have to understand, when you trade a Star like KG, you will NEVER get back equal value. Look at the Shaquille O'Neal trade, Vince Carter trade and hell, look at the Patrick Ewing trade. And one more thing, how do you know KG wants to even play in Los Angeles with Kobe Bryant? KG will have say on where he goes. What if KG DEMANDS a trade to New York? After being with the Wolves for 10 years, you might think McHale has enough respect to give him what he wants. In a way, he owes it to him.

If you think it's unlikely, fine. But don't call it impossible because you have no inside knowledge on what McHale wants. I bet you never thought Miami would get Shaq, right?
TMS
USA
5/3/2005  10:03 AM
Look at the Shaquille O'Neal trade, Vince Carter trade and hell, look at the Patrick Ewing trade. And one more thing, how do you know KG wants to even play in Los Angeles with Kobe Bryant? KG will have say on where he goes. What if KG DEMANDS a trade to New York? After being with the Wolves for 10 years, you might think McHale has enough respect to give him what he wants. In a way, he owes it to him.

Shaq demanded a trade & gave LA a limited list of teams to which he would be willing to go because the Lakers pretty much made it known that keeping Kobe was their main focus & they couldn't stand each other...Vince was a gimpy malcontent that was doing whatever he could to be traded out of TOR...Patrick Ewing was 2 months away from collecting Social Security...you seriously going to equate those deals w/this notion that KG is all of a sudden going to demand a trade, & not only that, but he's going to DEMAND that he's traded to New York, a team that's even further away from winning a title than his own team is at this point?

wow, the logic on this board boggles the mind...it really does...i guess Isiah's going to wave his magic wand & all of a sudden KG will be a NY Knick, & not only that, but we'll have only have had to give up some useless players w/expiring contracts, a #8 pick, & some mediocre prospects to get him...ALRIGHT!!! pass me some of that crack you're smokin'.

[Edited by - TMS on 05/03/2005 10:05:19]
BigAppleStar3
Member: #683
USA
5/3/2005  11:40 AM
Posted by TMS:
Look at the Shaquille O'Neal trade, Vince Carter trade and hell, look at the Patrick Ewing trade. And one more thing, how do you know KG wants to even play in Los Angeles with Kobe Bryant? KG will have say on where he goes. What if KG DEMANDS a trade to New York? After being with the Wolves for 10 years, you might think McHale has enough respect to give him what he wants. In a way, he owes it to him.

Shaq demanded a trade & gave LA a limited list of teams to which he would be willing to go because the Lakers pretty much made it known that keeping Kobe was their main focus & they couldn't stand each other...Vince was a gimpy malcontent that was doing whatever he could to be traded out of TOR...Patrick Ewing was 2 months away from collecting Social Security...you seriously going to equate those deals w/this notion that KG is all of a sudden going to demand a trade, & not only that, but he's going to DEMAND that he's traded to New York, a team that's even further away from winning a title than his own team is at this point?

wow, the logic on this board boggles the mind...it really does...i guess Isiah's going to wave his magic wand & all of a sudden KG will be a NY Knick, & not only that, but we'll have only have had to give up some useless players w/expiring contracts, a #8 pick, & some mediocre prospects to get him...ALRIGHT!!! pass me some of that crack you're smokin'.

[Edited by - TMS on 05/03/2005 10:05:19]

Kevin Garnett is a 10 year vet and has only gotten past the 1st round just once. How many times did Kevin McHale screw up that franchise? You don't need to be smoking crap to assume or think that KG will demand a trade soon. And Minnesota is not closer to a ring than we are. Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell are not better then Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford. Michael Olowokandi is not better than Kurt Thomas. And what young prospects do the Wolves have? What future do they have? Wally Szczerbiak?
TMS
USA
5/3/2005  11:55 AM
just agree to disagree on this one...when KG is wearing a Knicks uniform is when i'll believe it.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/3/2005  1:50 PM
Wolves should think about moving KG. While he is the face of the franchise, there remains the problem of his big salary on the small market team. ITs too damm hard for them to surround him, and McHale has proven to not be clever enough to do so with his "joe Smith" handicap. Owner is very responsable for that blunder!

Wolves should look for a combo of players and picks and can be very sucessful doing so.

The Bucks had to do it years ago with Kareem. No shame in doing so.

With Picks/players you reduce your margin of error and fans still stay interested. Nets have a nice group of assets to move and still keep either vince or richardson with Kidd. They would do it but it might be premature to vamp it up too soon before brooklyn. Bring in a KG with Vince and kidd would require a supporting cast that would bring them over the cap, and while its a hell of a team, they would be lame in New Jersey with a pending move.

I find the nets most interesting to watch the next few years from a persone/Business standpoint.

Lakes should gut the team to get KG, resign Luke. Trade Odom, Butler, and top pick for KG Rehire Jax. But it becomes KG's team! Kobe buy that?
KG Available?!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy