"Birdman" might leave Hornets' nest - Chris Anderson to become UFA
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/1/2005  11:33 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~2845180,00.html
The Birdman will fly around this summer to check out his free-agent options.

New Orleans Hornets forward-center Chris "The Birdman" Andersen said Friday he will opt out of his $1.76 million contract for next season to become an unrestricted free agent. Andersen, who earned his nickname while playing for the Nuggets from 2001-04, averaged 7.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.49 blocks this season.

"I finally got a chance to prove what I can do," Anderson said. "I believe I'm worth more than what's on paper. To do what is best for myself and my family, I have to (become a free agent) because it's a business.

"When I got the minutes, I produced. That's a main fact why my stock is going to go up. I can give a team some energy off the bench."

ndersen had become popular in New Orleans. The Hornets have several billboards around the city displaying his picture. New Orleans coach Byron Scott has said he hopes the franchise re-signs him if he opts out of his contract. Anderson, who went to high school in Texas, considers New Orleans his top option.

"My fan base is real big down here," Anderson said. "I love the city. It's the South, where I grew up. I love it. New Orleans gave me a chance. They let me play."

If New Orleans doesn't re-sign Andersen, he wouldn't mind returning to Denver. He still has several close friends here and his girlfriend is a Denver native.

"Going back to Denver would be pretty cool just from the fact I've been there for three years," he said.

i've been calling for the Knicks to get this guy for a while now because he's the type of role player i think can really help this team...he fits our needs nicely & wouldn't come at a high cost...i think Isiah should definitely consider signing him
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
5/1/2005  11:42 AM
I was just going to post this.

I think this is a MAJOR opportunity to improve our big men contigent. He doesn't sound like a New York guy, buy, hey, you never know. I would give the FULL MLE to Chris Andersen or Stephen Hunter, their kind of energetic play and shotblocking is EXACTLY what the Knicks need.

Andersen had this sick block of a Marbury layup in the Hornets game at the Garden this year. I would love to get him: he's a pogo stick.
¿ △ ?
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/1/2005  12:12 PM
He's worth a sign trade.
ES
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
5/1/2005  12:51 PM
I would love to bring in the Birdman. Adding a few guys like him, we may actually be able to get this team out on the break (do I dare dream of bringing some defense to the city?). But do you think he would require the full MLE?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/1/2005  12:53 PM
He'd be a real nice fit for us, but I am pretty darn sure that he's not on Isiahs radar, especially after that dunk contest stuff, which to me, would be bullcrap.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/1/2005  1:14 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

I would love to bring in the Birdman. Adding a few guys like him, we may actually be able to get this team out on the break (do I dare dream of bringing some defense to the city?). But do you think he would require the full MLE?

Nah...I don't think he commands that yet. He should be had for about 2 mill. He's a guy that could definately help. He will block shots...that is a given. He can finish a play too. He's what you would call a poor mans Marcus Camby.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
5/1/2005  1:30 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by MaTT4281:

Nah...I don't think he commands that yet. He should be had for about 2 mill. He's a guy that could definately help. He will block shots...that is a given. He can finish a play too. He's what you would call a poor mans Marcus Camby.

He should be had for $2 million, yet he just opted out of a 1.7 million year? Don't you think he'll be expecting more? The point is to swoop in and offer him 3 years of the full MLE ($15 mill) to get him here quickly before he talks to Denver (wanna bet that Denver trades Nene for a shooting guard and re-signs Chris Andersen? Why? because they're smarter than us).

This is the kind of guy who is WORTH overpaying for. A poor man's Marcus Camby is better than anything we have, and while it's not going to fix the team it goes a LONG way to fixing what's wrong: defense, shot blocking, rebounding, tenacity. He brings all this. He's worth every single penny of a full MLE. He would be more valuable than any other Knick past Marbury. I'm dead serious. He would probably start for the Knicks within a month next season.
¿ △ ?
TMS
USA
5/1/2005  1:47 PM
while i would ideally like to add Gadzuric, since he's a RFA, it might be more difficult to sign him than it would Chris Anderson...i think crzymdups is probably right in that the Knicks would have to offer him more than a team like DEN or NO would to keep him...a minimum of $3.5 million annually is where i'd place his value on the open market, but he could get more depending on how deep the market for bigmen is this offseason...if CHI holds true to their word & match any offer that Chandler & Curry receive from other teams, a guy like Anderson could possibly cash in.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/1/2005  2:27 PM
I like chris andersen, he would be a better version of JYD for us, he actually has size and can block shots. I don't know if he should get the full MLE tho...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/1/2005  3:21 PM
i don't see how we can viably justify getting chris anderson when we have the following tied up next season:

jyd - $6 mil/2 years
malik - $6 mil/3 years
mo - $10 mil/2 years
kurt - $6 mil/3 years
sweets - $2 mil/at least 1 more year

i think he's a good option for us, for a 20 min/night player BUT who gets the shaft?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/1/2005  4:57 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i don't see how we can viably justify getting chris anderson when we have the following tied up next season:

jyd - $6 mil/2 years
malik - $6 mil/3 years
mo - $10 mil/2 years
kurt - $6 mil/3 years

i think he's a good option for us, for a 20 min/night player BUT who gets the shaft?
He plays center. Those players are irrelevant. I don't expect all of them to be on the roster next year anyway.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/01/2005 16:58:15]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/1/2005  5:15 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

jyd - $6 mil/2 years
malik - $6 mil/3 years
mo - $10 mil/2 years
kurt - $6 mil/3 years

That's the big question. Isiah needs to consolidate. How it's gonna happen....that's anybodies guess.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/1/2005  7:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by djsunyc:

jyd - $6 mil/2 years
malik - $6 mil/3 years
mo - $10 mil/2 years
kurt - $6 mil/3 years

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He plays center. Those players are irrelevant. I don't expect all of them to be on the roster next year anyway.

Thats why i say a sign and trade, which were are probably going to have to over pay him to make it work.
ES
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/1/2005  9:37 PM
we already have to many accessory players, I bet he's not even on the radar.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
5/1/2005  9:59 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I don't see how that's relevant. It's not like he's redundant with *any* of the players currently on the roster.
OngBok
Member: #894
Thailand
5/1/2005  10:04 PM
He is 10 times more athletic then our whole team !!
Isiah Thomas will lead us back to the playoffs in 2006 !!!
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/1/2005  10:23 PM
Well, Sundov is less than an accessory player, cut him (or don't sign him, for that fact) and get a guy that will actually play and make a diference for us. At the right price it would be a nice sign. With the MLE, be careful, don't give him the whole MLE, try to save some for Ariza. Now, the best way would be sign and trade, with us dealing one of our PF's. That would be something .
Knicks_Fan
TMS
USA
5/1/2005  10:46 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

hopefully Isiah will be able to somehow swing a 2 for 1 type deal this summer...also, get rid of Bruno, he's useless...sure, we'd all prefer to have starting calibre guys like Dalembert or Stromile, but having birdman along w/Butler on the bench would be a whole heckuva lot nicer to start off the season than Bruno & Vin Baker.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/2/2005  7:23 AM
if uptemp and athletic is a goal as far as style of play then CA is a perfect addition. A guy that can block shots, fill the lane and run the floor.

IMO he would be worth overpaying a bit for. 4 year $16mm and use the rest to extend Ariza.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
5/2/2005  9:04 PM
in wanted bird last year. he let me down in the dunk contest, but i'll get over it.
"Birdman" might leave Hornets' nest - Chris Anderson to become UFA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy