Insider - 4/16
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/16/2002  10:29 AM
Draft Rumors: What will Gooden do?

Drew Gooden will make an official announcement about his draft status Friday. But from the comments his coach, Roy Williams, made Monday, it looks like he'll be in the draft.

Williams said that in his heart, he believes Gooden wants to return to school. However, the financial realities of the NBA make it almost impossible to pass up.

"He's enjoying life, enjoying being a college student," Williams told the Lawrence World Journal. "He's had a great, great time this year. He loves college basketball and his teammates. If somebody goes into college basketball with just the idea of making money in the NBA -- and that's their only goal -- it's a pretty easy decision. Some guys do that, say, 'I'll come in, play a year or two years and get outta here.'

"Drew came in with the idea of playing four years. His mother and father wanted him to play four years. They said it publicly that's what they wanted him to do" . . .

Still no word from UConn's Caron Butler on whether he'll declare for the draft. While most NBA observers believe he'll declare, his name isn't attached to an agent.

Butler met with coach Jim Calhoun on Monday but did not make that decision.

"The only agreement we made is that Caron should make his decision and go forward from there," Calhoun said. "The facts have presented themselves and clearly we have a good idea of where he would go and now it's just left for him to figure out what he wants to do" . . .

Fordham coach Bob Hill could be without two his best players next season. Point guard William "Smush" Parker will declare for the draft, but not hire an agent to retain his college eligibility.

According to Newsday, Parker plans to attend the Chicago pre-draft camp to get a better handle on where he'll be drafted. Insider talked to several scouts who think Parker could be a first round pick.

Parker is another NYC playground legend with unbelievable handles and has the ability to slash to the basket. He has the height, at 6-foot-4, and the athleticism to excel at the NBA level. He has the tendency to play out of control at times which hurts his stock.

Parker averaged 16.5 ppg, 4.4 apg on 43% shooting. However, he also averaged 4.4 turnovers per game.

Fordham will also lose freshman guard Adrian Walton, a Rucker League standout who had difficulty adjusting to the college game.

"I understand it's a long shot," said Walton. "But with my hard work and determination, I feel I can make it. If I don't make it, I have a great interest in the NBDL and overseas." Walton isn't expected to be drafted . . .

Florida guard Brett Nelson changed his mind and decided to stay at Flordia for his senior season.

Monday, the Gainesville Sun reported that Nelson would declare for the draft, but not hire and agent.

"When I made a decision to come to the University of Florida I had dreams and goals I wanted to achieve. I have achieved some of them but there is unfinished business on the table," Nelson said. "I want to graduate from college, win championships and improve my game on all levels. It's been a great three years here and I can't wait for my senior season to start."

Nelson wasn't projected as first-round pick by any of the scouts Insider talked to. .
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
4/16/2002  11:10 AM
I cannot think of a PG I would love to be a Knick more then Smush Parker. The turnovers are abit overrated, the only good players on Fordham are Walton and himself so alot of teammates aren't ready to receive any of the sharp passes Smush provides. He's an amazing player and I sincerely hope the Knicks trade for a late first rounder ot either snatch him or Frank Williams to be the NYK PG of the future and enjoy a year or maybe even two under the wing of Jax.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/16/2002  11:42 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

I cannot think of a PG I would love to be a Knick more then Smush Parker. The turnovers are abit overrated, the only good players on Fordham are Walton and himself so alot of teammates aren't ready to receive any of the sharp passes Smush provides. He's an amazing player and I sincerely hope the Knicks trade for a late first rounder ot either snatch him or Frank Williams to be the NYK PG of the future and enjoy a year or maybe even two under the wing of Jax.
Maybe Smush will slip into the second round for us. You never know.
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
4/16/2002  1:07 PM
Posted by Knixkik:
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Maybe Smush will slip into the second round for us. You never know.
True. But why'd we win the game versus Miami? A worse record means a higher seeded 2nd round pick regardless of how the lottery goes. Almost like a late 1st rounder.
Insider - 4/16

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy