[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who will the Knicks draft?
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
4/28/2005  3:31 PM
I would take a PF with the 8th pick, but he would have to at least be taller than all of the PFs that we have right now...

Posted by Masterplan:

i really don't want us reaching for a center with pick #8. if the guys there are overhyped euros or lazy guys like curry, i'd just as soon address other needs and try to get a serviceable big later in the draft. i don't think we need to be fixated on getting the next shaq or yao. a slightly lesser version of dalembert (taken at #26 in a very weak draft) would be fine by me.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/28/2005  3:35 PM
Posted by Masterplan:

i really don't want us reaching for a center with pick #8. if the guys there are overhyped euros or lazy guys like curry, i'd just as soon address other needs and try to get a serviceable big later in the draft. i don't think we need to be fixated on getting the next shaq or yao. a slightly lesser version of dalembert (taken at #26 in a very weak draft) would be fine by me.

Exactly. When there is a Shaq and Yao in the draft they go #1 or 2 not 8
Stevo718
Member: #559
4/28/2005  4:53 PM
Isiah Thomas said in this years draft you can possibly draft the same player at #7 or at #22. Would I love to have the #6 pick? Sure. Would I trade up for it? No way.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind trading #8 and #30 for 2 picks in the mid-teens and then letting Isiah work his magic.

And with Marbury's news of his "minor?" injury and the fact that Penny and Crawford are also injury prone I don't see as drafting a PG out of the question with the last pick (#54).

I'll tell you one thing I don't want to see--- the drafting of ANY BIG WHITE BOY from Europe. They are all garbage. Why do you think they play these guys 5 minutes a game when the scouts come? Do you think they ain't playing Slavi Crokac because "potentially he is an all-star but not ready to play with the Euro team right now" ? Bull****, it's called "hey Slavi you can't make it here on the Euro teams, but let's hype you up so that perhaps you can get drafted in the United States where you can sign a contract and get paid 20 times more there then what you could earn here sitting on the bench. And even if you suck on one team there is always another team that is willing to gamble on your "potential" therefore allowing you to jump from team to team while laughing all the way to the bank.

I'd rather draft a 6'9" PF with skills then some over-rated 7'2" Euro Sprocket. But he has to be at least 6'9"!!! No more undersized scrubs. All our PF's are garbage.

Who I don't want to trade for any picks this year: Marbury, Crawford, Ariza.

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/28/2005  5:23 PM
absolutely not...i don't think we should move down in the draft at all...if you want to get an additional pick, use a future 1st rounder along w/cash considerations to do so...you never know who will drop down to you at #8.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
4/29/2005  5:15 AM
Personally has anybody who've seen Warrick on a consistent basis think he is worth the #8? Every glimpse i've seen of him says tweener kind of like a more polished Mase.
diderotn
USA
4/29/2005  6:45 AM
Trading the 8th pick for a couple of picks in the first round??? That is sort of intriguing, but why must we do that when we have players that we must trade, I.E. Kurt, Sweetney, Mo T, Penny, TT, etc?
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
4/29/2005  12:14 PM
I like Warrick. My offseason consists of Drafting Warrick, Sign and Trade for Stro Swift (I would give up Sweetney + KThomas).

Marbury
CrawDaddy
Ariza
Warrick
Stro

Small but agile, this team is a weak version of Phoenix. Use any other assets to put together a defensive bench and this team will be watchable. Make this year about developing Ariza and Warrick. Come January, if they have playoff chance, move Hardaway and TThomas for the other pieces.
This is the Randle.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
4/29/2005  12:55 PM
If you can get a really good center with a lot of potential with out lottery pick, do it. But if there is a better player avaliable, and it will probably happen, then take him and worry for the center with the other pick. Later make a trade, do whatever but if a great guy is still avaliable, I think thats how Isiah will really be crucified. If we still remember the Artest-Weis dylema, imagine if we leave a guy like Green or anyone else for a center that could never pan out? Take the best guy avaliable, the one with most potential too. If that is a center, then we kill two birds...
Knicks_Fan
gunsnewing
USA
4/29/2005  1:02 PM
Green will be gone if we pick 8th but imagine we pass up on a potentially dominant 6'10 260 frontcourt player like Chris Taft who might be available and draft the next Alek Redojevic or Frederic Weis instead.
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
4/29/2005  1:35 PM
The fact is that if we don't get Greene (highly unlikely) or Taft (presently being underated) then we should get PETRO. PETRO and Akindele (who's not on anyones mock draft) will fit in nicely as big guys that can get up and down the court in addition to blocking shots.

Ariza should absolutely not be traded unless we're getting one of maybe 5 players back (no need to say their names). The decision to trade Sweetney should not be made before next seasons trade deadline and not one moment before. Sweetney should be given the opportunity to remold his body between now and the end of the summer. Udonis Haslem did it and I think if Sweetney were able to do it he'd be 20 times better than him. If they trade Sweetney or Ariza before the season i'm done as a fan of these guys (Isiah or not).

Get Petro and whatever other young bigs and for the first time in a decade let your young talent develop. Weeding through all of the BS shows me that Isiah is dead set on sticking with his youngsters so i'm not worred too much.

[Edited by - Junkmein on 04/29/2005 14:01:18]
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/29/2005  1:36 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Green will be gone if we pick 8th but imagine we pass up on a potentially dominant 6'10 260 frontcourt player like Chris Taft who might be available and draft the next Alek Redojevic or Frederic Weis instead.
Suppose Taft is the next Chris Wilcox lite.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
diderotn
USA
4/29/2005  1:47 PM
I have been hearing the names of Taft and Warrick for a while now, can someone please post their stats on this board just so we can compare the two? While at it, how do they both look compare to Bogut???

Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:

gunsnewing
USA
4/29/2005  2:17 PM
Posted by JUNKMEIN:

The fact is that if we don't get Greene (highly unlikely) or Taft (presently being underated) then we should get PETRO. PETRO and Akindele (who's not on anyones mock draft) will fit in nicely as big guys that can get up and down the court in addition to blocking shots.

Ariza should absolutely not be traded unless we're getting one of maybe 5 players back (no need to say their names). The decision to trade Sweetney should not be made before next seasons trade deadline and not one moment before. Sweetney should be given the opportunity to remold his body between now and the end of the summer. Udonis Haslem did it and I think if Sweetney were able to do it he'd be 20 times better than him. If they trade Sweetney or Ariza before the season i'm done as a fan of these guys (Isiah or not).

Get Petro and whatever other young bigs and for the first time in a decade let your young talent develop. Weeding through all of the BS shows me that Isiah is dead set on sticking with his youngsters so i'm not worred too much.

[Edited by - Junkmein on 04/29/2005 14:01:18]

I agree about Sweetney but some while say he was suppose to get in shape last year but is still eating cheesaburgers everyday instead. The only think we have going for us is that Aguirre said getting Sweetny in shape will be the #1 offseason priority so it shows that they realize that this guy can be special if he can get into shape the way Brand did.
gunsnewing
USA
4/29/2005  2:26 PM
Posted by diderotn:

I have been hearing the names of Taft and Warrick for a while now, can someone please post their stats on this board just so we can compare the two? While at it, how do they both look compare to Bogut???

Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:

you see..what makes Taft underrated depite him being a legit 6-10 260 not a Wilcox like 6-10 230, is that Pittsburg's coach mis-used him. They had this guard, I forget his name, who will not even make it in the nba, but is the kind of player who is decent in the guard oriented College game so he was their go to guy instead of Taft. But Taft still showed flashes of brilliance in on both end of the floor thatNBA teams will take notice of and he was only a Sophmore. Next year will be the equivalent of his junior year in College. He's going to breakout! And Marbury needs him in the worst way!

The only reason I would draft Bogut over him is because Bogut can be a top Center in the league where good centers are hard to fine. I have a really hard time choosing between Green or Taft. Taft might actually help Marbury and the Knicks more but its hard to pass up on an exciting flashy potential star like Green.

If those 3 guys are gone by the time we draft than I would evaluate Warrick(who is a winner and can impact us instantly and we would start building an identity), Splitter and Vazquez. I'm pretty confident Isiah will find a good player.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 04/29/2005 14:39:02]
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
4/29/2005  4:23 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:

you see..what makes Taft underrated depite him being a legit 6-10 260 not a Wilcox like 6-10 230, is that Pittsburg's coach mis-used him. They had this guard, I forget his name, who will not even make it in the nba, but is the kind of player who is decent in the guard oriented College game so he was their go to guy instead of Taft. But Taft still showed flashes of brilliance in on both end of the floor thatNBA teams will take notice of and he was only a Sophmore. Next year will be the equivalent of his junior year in College. He's going to breakout! And Marbury needs him in the worst way!

The only reason I would draft Bogut over him is because Bogut can be a top Center in the league where good centers are hard to fine. I have a really hard time choosing between Green or Taft. Taft might actually help Marbury and the Knicks more but its hard to pass up on an exciting flashy potential star like Green.

If those 3 guys are gone by the time we draft than I would evaluate Warrick(who is a winner and can impact us instantly and we would start building an identity), Splitter and Vazquez. I'm pretty confident Isiah will find a good player.

I agree with you about Taft but it concerns me with how content he was with losing his starting position to a "lesser" player, how his coach and teammates viewed him, his past weight issues, and his attitude which screams apathy. It is the same thing that I saw in Kwame Brown when challenged by Jordan and we don't have that type of competitor on this team. Maybe a JYD or Rose would be helpful but this guy and throw in Wilcox (I mentioned him because he is accused of the same apathy attitude). These guys have all the talent but aren't motivated until it is contract year (yeah throw in E. Curry too).
And as far as Warrick goes, I wanted this guy on the Knicks team 2 years ago, and even last year but now I really wouldn't take him. He proved that he has what it takes to play in some big games but in the pros he is a tweener without a outside shot. He doesn't have the body to bang against 4s and I don't see him really guarding 3s or 2s on the perimeter. He doesn't have great ball handling skills to efficently play the 3. I don't see him being a dominating force but a very good role player. Besides I think there are others who have better skills to develop at the next level.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/29/2005  5:13 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by gunsnewing:

I agree with you about Taft but it concerns me with how content he was with losing his starting position to a "lesser" player, how his coach and teammates viewed him, his past weight issues, and his attitude which screams apathy. It is the same thing that I saw in Kwame Brown when challenged by Jordan and we don't have that type of competitor on this team. Maybe a JYD or Rose would be helpful but this guy and throw in Wilcox (I mentioned him because he is accused of the same apathy attitude). These guys have all the talent but aren't motivated until it is contract year (yeah throw in E. Curry too).
And as far as Warrick goes, I wanted this guy on the Knicks team 2 years ago, and even last year but now I really wouldn't take him. He proved that he has what it takes to play in some big games but in the pros he is a tweener without a outside shot. He doesn't have the body to bang against 4s and I don't see him really guarding 3s or 2s on the perimeter. He doesn't have great ball handling skills to efficently play the 3. I don't see him being a dominating force but a very good role player. Besides I think there are others who have better skills to develop at the next level.

Chris Taft is definitely a high caliber prospect at 8, meaning I think he is good enough to get that pick. But I bunch him in with a few others, and what I want to see is who brings it in workouts. I want to see who plays hard/intense, I want to see the skill levels with guys going against each other. There is 5-6 guys in there that I want to see duke it out. Im high on Chris Taft. I think he was used poorly this year, and while you are specualting he deferred to Aaron Gray[7foot back up C] or Karl Krauser[PG] you don't have much of a choice in CBB. He was dominanat in some games, efficient in many, then kind of dissapeared in a few. the guys I think who have a shot at pick 8 are
C/PF
Chris Taft
Martynas A
Tiago Splitter
Channing Frye
F
Danny Granger
Hakim Warrick
G
Antoine Wright
Martell Webster

Im not putting in guys I think will go above 8 for sure. If a guy like Chris Paul did fall, Id have to consider taking him and trading down for one of the guys I liked. Even if it was two picks later, Id take Paul and force an additional high 2 or future 1 for him.
RIP Crushalot😞
Cookdcokehop
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #880
USA
4/30/2005  11:16 PM
I know this is risky. but i think we should draft martynas a... trade marbury for a top 3 pick get green. green and martyans, new t-mac and yao
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
5/1/2005  12:00 AM
Get the best available big at the 8, trade for a midround pick and get Warrick and go for the best available sleeper at the late pick. Frankly we dont have anybody to look forward to except for Ariza, Sweetney and Butler. Most of the other players are just likely to regress leaving more holes in our roster.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/1/2005  12:16 AM
Posted by Cookdcokehop:

I know this is risky. but i think we should draft martynas a... trade marbury for a top 3 pick get green. green and martyans, new t-mac and yao

Nice!
Knicks_Fan
Who will the Knicks draft?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy