[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mock #4
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/28/2005  3:08 PM
Posted by TMS:

i don't see any way Isiah would pass up Taft if he was still on the board at the #8 pick.

he might even take Chris Paul w/the #8 pick if he plans on trading Marbury.

what don't i like about chris Paul? he's 5-11 170 and he is no AI. He is TJ ford with a shot, but we know what happened to TJ Ford. I think he's top 10 but I think the other PGs are built more rugged
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/28/2005  3:11 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by TMS:

i don't see any way Isiah would pass up Taft if he was still on the board at the #8 pick.

he might even take Chris Paul w/the #8 pick if he plans on trading Marbury.

what don't i like about chris Paul? he's 5-11 170 and he is no AI. He is TJ ford with a shot, but we know what happened to TJ Ford. I think he's top 10 but I think the other PGs are built more rugged

Damon Stoudamire = 5'10 never has been seriously injured

but I see your point. I would not waste a pick on Paul. Well I wouldn't waste a lottery pick on a PG period unless we traded Marbury maybe. Then I would take Felton over Paul and Deron. But it still doesn't change the fact that Paul will be a top 4 pick
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/28/2005  3:16 PM
TJ Ford had a history of neck problems for a pretty long time before he was drafted. Talent wise, comparing TJ Ford to Paul isn't a bad thing, b/c Ford was and is a very good player, and we were all saying how we wanted him, blindly not paying attention to his neck problems.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/28/2005  5:09 PM
Posted by rain:

No Offense, but Gomes.. the only reason he's being discussed on this board is him playing in the Big East. The guy is over-rated and one dimensional. Lawrence Roberts would eat his lunch.. he's bigger, more athletic, and has some attitude.

This Mock is a variation... and the effort is appreciated.. do your homework on Lawrence Roberts though.. he was very impressive against Sheldon Williams (and I know your high on him).

Ryan Gomes is not overated. The guy played exceptionally way the last 2 years and in last years NCAA tournament. Lawrence Roberts is good but he's not the greatest player, he's a second-round pick at best and theres no way he "eats Gomes lunch" Roberts does not have a outside game, Gomes does. Gomes can shoot and bang inside, Roberts is restricted to 16 footers. I'll take Robers on the defensive end over Gomes but not offensively.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
BRIGGS
4/28/2005  6:52 PM

There is no way that Isiah will draft this kid if Taft is still available. I could see him draft Johan Petro before this Martynas charecter.

I don't understand this train of thought. So a person using common sense, who wants to build the franchise into a LONG term winner, should discount an athletic 7-3 player who DOMINATED players of his own age, and showed tremendous potential against MEN 6-8-10 years older than him because he comes froma certain part of the world?
Athletic 7-3 gys dont grow on trees, especially ones that avg 17.5 points 13.5 reb and 4 block shots this summer in the euro 18 championships. If he was being recruited to college right now, he would be top 3 if not 1 on every list, above Green. Obviously if he is putting up these numbers and is at the top 5 of every mock draft out there, something must be pretty good about the guy, no? I would say my train of thought is bring him in for a couple of workouts and let him dictate through his play, intensity and skill level whther or not hes a candidate for the 8th pick. To dsicount himbecause he is white or european is beyond stupid. Im sure when Yao was 18 and 220 pounds that people would say WTF, Im not taking a chinese C come on. Without an open mind, without taking calculated risks, you dont get ahead--and that pertains to everything in life:>)
Then we look back at the Warriors with a 7-3 265 pound dominating C in 3 years and say darn, we missed another one because we needed to hasty in our thought process/ And on the other side, if the kid comes in and doesnt play with intensity, if he doesnt show skills etc.. ce la vie, comprende?
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/28/2005  7:01 PM
Yao? come on BRIGGS...that guy was putting up crazy #'s in international competition... i mean #'s like 40 / 20 / 5 type #'s... he was the clear cut #1 draft pick that year, even more so than Bogut is this year... not quite the same as what you're referring to here... Taft is a promising young talent too, & i feel that Isiah would take him if he's available at #8... just my opinion.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/28/2005  7:12 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

There is no way that Isiah will draft this kid if Taft is still available. I could see him draft Johan Petro before this Martynas charecter.

I don't understand this train of thought. So a person using common sense, who wants to build the franchise into a LONG term winner, should discount an athletic 7-3 player
Seems like a useful discussion to have if Isiah actually passes on the 7'3" player. Right now, all you're doing is making assumptions about Isiah and then criticizing Isiah based on those assumptions.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
4/28/2005  7:46 PM
everyone, please submit your ideas & get official Bonn approval before posting them on the forums. thank you.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
4/28/2005  9:07 PM
Posted by TMS:

Yao? come on BRIGGS...that guy was putting up crazy #'s in international competition... i mean #'s like 40 / 20 / 5 type #'s... he was the clear cut #1 draft pick that year, even more so than Bogut is this year... not quite the same as what you're referring to here... Taft is a promising young talent too, & i feel that Isiah would take him if he's available at #8... just my opinion.

No, what I was saying was that I doubt Yao just turning 19 wouldve been pick 1 in the draft. He did not enter to 3 years later. Im sure he physically mentally and fundamentally improved dramatically in those 3 years. Yao was 22 when he entered the draft--this kid is still 18. What Im saying is that I would have an open mind to all players. People are saying that--he is Euoropean, white blah blah blah, doesnt start for his own team, scks. My take is let him prove himself--let him go into workouts with Chris taft with Tiago Splitter and lets see how he does. You cant teach being 7-3. When these guys are faced with someone who can move at 7-3 with long arms, it will be the first time they experience it.
RIP Crushalot😞
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
4/28/2005  9:20 PM
Is Martynas really different from all those other countless 7+ footer Euros that get hyped up every year only to dissapoint. Has anyone here watched him play in more than one game?

If you are in Isiah's shoes you can't afford to pick the next Weiss.

The question is does this guy have enough potential for Isiah to gamble on and risk more negative media and fan reaction?

No thank you. He'll gladly take Taft instead.
BRIGGS
4/28/2005  9:24 PM
Posted by Stevo718:

Is Martynas really different from all those other countless 7+ footer Euros that get hyped up every year only to dissapoint. Has anyone here watched him play in more than one game?

The question is does this guy have enough potential for Isiah to gamble on and risk more negative media and fan reaction?

what if Martynas goes into a workout with chris taft and is clearly better, would you still draft taft?
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/28/2005  10:48 PM
If Martynas can play defense and is mobile, I would take him. I just don't want a Shawn Bradley type stiff. If he can beat Chris Taft in a one on one workout, I'd definitely take him.

I honestly don't think Isiah can afford to take him - you said it yourself, this guy could be Yao - THREE YEARS BEFORE YAO WAS READY TO BE IN THE LEAGUE. That's a HUGE investment you're making in a guy.

Taft and Warrick have played winning ball in big time college conferences the last two years - it's a big difference.

I think we might get a 7'3" center this summer, but his name will be Z.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
4/28/2005  10:58 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

If Martynas can play defense and is mobile, I would take him. I just don't want a Shawn Bradley type stiff. If he can beat Chris Taft in a one on one workout, I'd definitely take him.

I honestly don't think Isiah can afford to take him - you said it yourself, this guy could be Yao - THREE YEARS BEFORE YAO WAS READY TO BE IN THE LEAGUE. That's a HUGE investment you're making in a guy.

Taft and Warrick have played winning ball in big time college conferences the last two years - it's a big difference.

I think we might get a 7'3" center this summer, but his name will be Z.

thats what i am saying, if this kid comes in here and plays with intensity, plays well in workouts, shows nice athletiscm, skills at his size with his purported 7-9 wingspan and shows he belongs against the other guys who may be around spot 8, it's a no-brainer to take the big man.

my first hope will be win the lottery and or see if we have any chance to egt to 4 if Green is there. If not, bring in 10-12 guys and lets see who stands out. If a 7-3 player stands out, then you have an easy answer, if Chris Taft sticks out, easy answer, if they are all close--go big
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
4/28/2005  11:01 PM
Posted by TMS:

everyone, please submit your ideas & get official Bonn approval before posting them on the forums. thank you.
LOL! You sound like you need a hug again. rough day? rough year?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 04/28/2005 23:02:34]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
4/28/2005  11:12 PM
I want May.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/28/2005  11:13 PM
Posted by Rich:

I want May.

Let's hear your thinking.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
4/28/2005  11:49 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Rich:

I want May.

Positives: May has the size and strength to be an inside force when playing with his back to the basket. He can score while facing the basket. He seems to possess an inner drive to succeed.

Negatives: The Knicks aleady have several similar players, so it would probably make sense to move Sweetney in order to make room for him.
Stevo718
Member: #559
4/28/2005  11:51 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Stevo718:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what if Martynas goes into a workout with chris taft and is clearly better, would you still draft taft?

Of course not. If he is clearly better. But there are guys that have good workouts and turn into busts.

Let me ask anyone here... how many 7+ foot Euro players drafted have turned into superstars? Stars? Above average players?

I'd rather not draft any and wait until the quality of the big men coming out of Europe has been proven, than to gamble my #8 pick.

These guys are always raw and full of potential... so why don't I see any 24+ year old 7 foot veterans coming out of Europe to enter the NBA draft? Cause they all suck. But at 20 years old you can sell age and "potential".
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
4/29/2005  12:02 AM
no way the 7-3 220 Martynas beats the 6'10 260 Taft in a one-on-one! Taft will destroy him!
Bonn1997
USA
4/29/2005  7:52 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Rich:

I want May.

Positives: May has the size and strength to be an inside force when playing with his back to the basket. He can score while facing the basket. He seems to possess an inner drive to succeed.

Negatives: The Knicks aleady have several similar players, so it would probably make sense to move Sweetney in order to make room for him.
May would be a Layden type of pick, except that Layden would keep him on the IR all year.
Mock #4

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy